Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E15: Be a Man

Jessica drives Principal Hunter crazy at Evan's school when she declares that she's "shadow principal" and follows him around for a day to learn about his job. When she finds out perfect son Evan has been caught acting out, she immediately blames Eddie's bad influence, but there's more to it than that. Louis, having watched one too many episodes of "The Sopranos" with Honey, is convinced that Marvin and Grandma are gossiping about him behind his back after Marvin offers to trap the rat that has invaded Grandma's apartment.

Original air date: 2/22/19

I thought there was actually a warm moment there with Jessica actually telling Eddie and Evan to go to the arcade and celebrate Evan's perfect loss.  Of course she was still overbearing with all that shadow principal stuff.

I liked that Marvin wanted to catch the rat with his bare hands.  And I was thinking all along that that Louis was the only thing Marvin and Grandma had in common, so naturally they would talk about him.  I did think the Andrew Dice Clay lip syncing, and the "Two Lous" show was pretty funny.  In a brutal sort of way. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, rmontro said:

I thought there was actually a warm moment there with Jessica actually telling Eddie and Evan to go to the arcade and celebrate Evan's perfect loss.  Of course she was still overbearing with all that shadow principal stuff.

That always happens though. Jessica is awful, gets called out, learns a lesson, and cue warm fuzzy moment. Repeat.

• Love 5

Eddie has had wonderful character development. He was such a great big brother in this episode and is light years from the kid we saw in S1. He handled Evan and Jessica perfectly. 

While I was rolling my eyes at Jessica and her antics I did enjoy the role that Eddie played. The little things like him taking Evan to the arcade to celebrate and informing Evan he's scraped the cheese of his mask, those were lovely little details that showcased their relationship and how much Eddie has grown as a person. 

They just really need to rethink their execution of Jessica. As a high strung Asian tiger mum I totally understand what's going on in her head and how hard it is to self regulate but the point is we do self regulate whereas they just ham it up and exaggerate things far too much because it's a sitcom. 

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 10

I enjoyed seeing Eddie be a supportive big brother to Evan. Taking him to the arcade to celebrate was a good thing because Evan is such a serious kid that it's important for him to have some down time and have fun.

I wish I could say that I was taken aback when Jessica told Eddie to his face that he is a bad influence and she didn't want him spilling that all over Evan. As mean and judgmental as Jessica has been in the past, that was so rude and uncalled for.

I loved Louis and Honey watching the Sopranos together. That was such a huge thing at the time!

The flashback of Louis as Andrew Dice Clay was so accurate and painful to see!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

Fencing is not fighting. 

Jessica is not nearly as perfect as she envisions herself to be. She made lousy dumplings for years because she was too lazy to learn how to do it properly, she wrote a bad book, and her eldest son used to terrorize the principal. (Louis is on the hook for the last one, too, but he was never trying to be perfect.)

As with most tv babies, 1 year old Maria sleeps way too much. I'd be worried. 

• Love 3

Oh good, another "Jessica is awful and has to learn a lesson about maybe not being awful" plot. Haven't seen one of those in the last five minutes! Its good when Jessica gets called out on how much her insanely high standards has messed her kids up, but its dampened knowing it will all be forgotten by next week.

I did love seeing Eddie be a good big brother, he really has grown a lot since the show started. And not just because of his massive growth spurt! 

Louis and his pickle dance was classic Louis. As was his Andrew Dice Clay impression, and his Two Lous show. Oh Louis.

• Love 7