Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: Jinger Has a Baby

Sew Sumi
  • Start Topic

The hills are alive for Josiah and Lauren as they go on their Austrian honeymoon; while there, they re-enact scenes from "The Sound of Music" and visit with a local family; Jinger worries she won't have the smooth labor she was hoping for. 

Airs February 18, 2019

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

So they're 7-8 months behind real time. I guess the honeymoon stuff will be new, but they didn't have enough new footage that they have to show Felicity's birth again?

probably not. I missed felicity's birth as my dvr didn't record it. I assume they suspect many people will be in my position. 

• Love 1

Good God, haven't we seen Felicity's birth eleventy billion times? Jinger did a scheduled induction, so what possible drama can they create? IIRC, the only hiccup was it took a long time for her to fully dilate, so they gave her an epidural. 

With this many people in a family they shouldn't have to keep rehashing the same footage over and over. 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

So they're 7-8 months behind real time. I guess the honeymoon stuff will be new, but they didn't have enough new footage that they have to show Felicity's birth again?

Well, I assume they watch the ratings, and if they put out all-old-clips shows and a million-plus people watch, then they say Hurrah! and make happy and excited plans to go on doing it. 

They're in this to make money, obviously. And they're a business with no interest in providing any actual entertainment or anything at all of value if they don't have to, equally obviously.

So why spend money planning and producing new material for a show when the show's audience doesn't demand it in the least?  

The less they spend on new material, the more they make. Mission 100 percent accomplished.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, I assume they watch the ratings, and if they put out all-old-clips shows and a million-plus people watch, then they say Hurrah! and make happy and excited plans to go on doing it. 

They're in this to make money, obviously. And they're a business with no interest in providing any actual entertainment or anything at all of value if they don't have to, equally obviously.

So why spend money planning and producing new material for a show when the show's audience doesn't demand it in the least?  

The less they spend on new material, the more they make. Mission 100 percent accomplished.

Kate Gosselin, now mother of only 6, has a new show.  That is all you need to understand about TLC and the financial bottom line ... and the level of  moral depravity in pretend reality TV.

• Love 18

Please!  All the times we've seen the Duggar girls splurge on expensive coffees and now suddenly they don't know what Expresso or Americano is?

For next week's spoiler, it seems Ben has been promoted from toilet cleaning to tutoring the Lost Girls and Howlers.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

On the original birth episode, they made it seem like the induction was planned well in advance and tonight Jinger's talking like she happened to have a midwife appointment and decided to just go to the hospital instead of driving home. Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but it didn't make sense.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

I'm a huge Sound of Music fan, so I would've been twirling my ass off too on that Salzburg tour. I'm glad Si and Lauren got to do something that had meaning for them. Most of the Duggar couples have wandered aimlessly through their honeymoons with no real interest in the locations at all.

Lauren is a cute girl, but someone please take away her bronzer. Or at least teach her how to blend.

Sew, thanks for the info. I'm relieved to hear I wasn't imagining things.

• Love 8

Their timelines being so off is annoying as is ending one season with a wedding then the next season goes back in time to show the courtship. Of course the show the wedding again. Same with the births. Did they do that on 19 Kids too or is this a Counting on thing? 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I haven't finished watching the episode yet.  Does Si have any idea what The Sound of Music is?  I'm sure that movie was not on the Duggar-approved list.

I believe that it actually is.  They can overlook the Catholicism because the wholesome Maria gets the guy over the worldly Baroness, and the family stands up to the ebil government.   Not to mention the romance barely has any kissing.  The Duggars dont see the smoking hot chemistry between Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews especially when they dance.  

• Love 9

I don't usually watch the Duggars(I have in the past),  but I have a cold and am drugged, and I just want to watch TV while in a stupor so the Duggars are perfect for stupors. Yes, I can't snark on going to the Sound of Music location because I loved going to the Dirty Dancing locations(see my profile name). I don't think DD is Duggar approved though. 

The show wasn't bad. It was nice to see Jeremy's parents there instead of Jim Boob and Mechelle. Unfortunately, Jim Boob was grinning like a donkey holding the grandkids at home.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I believe that it actually is.  They can overlook the Catholicism because the wholesome Maria gets the guy over the worldly Baroness, and the family stands up to the ebil government.   Not to mention the romance barely has any kissing.  The Duggars dont see the smoking hot chemistry between Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews especially when they dance.  

Actually, in the movie world version, Maria was still a very young postulant or novice, who was clearly not meant for the church, which  made the romance creepy..  40 plus years ago, as a musician,  I was in the pit orchestra for 4 different levels of performaces of the original touring Broadway version of this musical.  Nothing like movie, which was a trillion times better for story,  but sadly lost much of the bite of meaning of the songs from the Broadway version.  Many of which were cut from the movie.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I don't usually watch the Duggars(I have in the past),  but I have a cold and am drugged, and I just want to watch TV while in a stupor so the Duggars are perfect for stupors. Yes, I can't snark on going to the Sound of Music location because I loved going to the Dirty Dancing locations(see my profile name). I don't think DD is Duggar approved though. 

The show wasn't bad. It was nice to see Jeremy's parents there instead of Jim Boob and Mechelle. Unfortunately, Jim Boob was grinning like a donkey holding the grandkids at home.

I'd love to see the Duggars watch Dirty Dancing.   Sex out of wedlock happening left and right, and a female character has an abortion and lives to tell the tale.  

• Love 8

I don't think of myself as particularly sheltered, but I remember being quite surprised at how frank Dirty Dancing was when I finally got around to watching it. I'd pay good money to watch a Duggar viewing party. 🙂

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm a huge Sound of Music fan, so I would've been twirling my ass off too on that Salzburg tour. I'm glad Si and Lauren got to do something that had meaning for them. Most of the Duggar couples have wandered aimlessly through their honeymoons with no real interest in the locations at all.

I must confess that I really enjoyed what I saw of their trip to Austria.   Part of my SIL's family  live in Vienna so my daughter goes to Austria rather often; they did the "Sound of Music" tour when she went the first time.   I actually enjoyed the go-carts around Vienna, but I was sad that they didn't express an interest in going inside some of the places they saw.  I was also disappointed that they didn't go see the Lipizzans.   Maybe they did, but we didn't see their whole trip.   I hope they took a side trip to Hallstatt and its salt mine.

4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I missed felicity's birth as my dvr didn't record it. I assume they suspect many people will be in my position. 

20 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

54 minutes into a new episode and few posts.  The 600 pounder fans put the duggar fans to shame.  

And the ratings make no sense.

As a pounder, I find this remark funny.    They do the live chat which I can't do as I cannot stand to watch the show in real time, because it does the same thing as all TLC reality shows--it shows a teaser, a bunch of commercials, then a recap of what was on before the commercial, then the new stuff, another teaser, et cetera, et cetera.  I can usually watch an hour show in about 35-40 minutes.  My time is valuable, TLC.   And for a moment, I thought you meant 600 pounder fans, not fans of 600 pound life.

Well, I messed up on the multiquote again.   Sometimes I get it right, sometimes not.  Anyway, I had missed the birth of Felicity.  Did I see Michelle there?  I thought I glimpsed her.  I actually liked this midwife, unlike some others on this show.  And somehow I missed the last season.   I was shocked that there were already six grandsons before this girl.     I know it is mean, but I hope Jessa and Jill continue to have boys, and that any girl they have is the last child.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, louannems said:

Please!  All the times we've seen the Duggar girls splurge on expensive coffees and now suddenly they don't know what Expresso or Americano is?

For next week's spoiler, it seems Ben has been promoted from toilet cleaning to tutoring the Lost Girls and Howlers.

Regarding your first comment ... Maybe that's how dumb they really are? 

Regarding your second .... Oh, good lord. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

Kate Gosselin, now mother of only 6, has a new show.  That is all you need to understand about TLC and the financial bottom line ... and the level of  moral depravity in pretend reality TV.

are the oldest Gosslin  twins  now in college ?

has anybody considered one of the reasons the sisters had a big babies/c-sections was the level of prenatal care ? I mean it was hours before the birth before they realized Gideon was breech ... Jill's labors went on and on at home...Jessa's blleeeedding and ultimate blood transfusion - not sure how or why that happened..

Not to take away from Austria - I think Josiah and Lauren could have just stayed in Chicago. Its getting old on every honeymoon has to be overseas.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, auntieminem said:

Their timelines being so off is annoying as is ending one season with a wedding then the next season goes back in time to show the courtship. Of course the show the wedding again. Same with the births. Did they do that on 19 Kids too or is this a Counting on thing? 

I watched 19 Kids once. And in that episode, I swear that two talking-heads segments were repeated three times each. And they were boring, stupid and meaningless the first times.

Have never watched Counting On but I'm gathering that my brief 19 Kids experience represents The Way This Is Done. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, fonfereksglen said:

Actually, in the movie world version, Maria was still a very young postulant or novice, who was clearly not meant for the church, which  made the romance creepy..  40 plus years ago, as a musician,  I was in the pit orchestra for 4 different levels of performaces of the original touring Broadway version of this musical.  Nothing like movie, which was a trillion times better for story,  but sadly lost much of the bite of meaning of the songs from the Broadway version.  Many of which were cut from the movie.

I saw the play recently; they used all the songs from both the play and the movie.   It was wonderful.

21 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

Several younger friends from our parish went to the Dirty Dancing resort; it was some kind of package deal.

While I don't think the Duggars would enjoy the Dirty Dancing movie,  I am not surprised that they have seen "The Sound of Music" especially since the Duggar children were forced into group singing.  Just look at their trip to the senior citizens' home.   It did make me happy that Lauren had seen it multiple times.  Maybe she can go to one of the sing-a-long showings of it.

• Love 1

To all my Dirty Dancing cohorts out there, Lifetime is showing the movie tonite starting at 11 pm EST in case you need to watch it for the zillionth time like me.

(Even the zillionth watching of DD is more exciting than the Duggars.)

• Love 2

Jessa : "  JB said - We don't want to stifle your creativity. Let's go outside and build a fort or something"... 

watching a movie - a musical no less - that still lives on since it was made in 1965 - stifles one creativity.... SMH...

really sounds like JB was too cheap to find a VHS (both the tape and the machine-box)...heaven forbid cable...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, louannems said:

Well, he has as associate degree in political science now..

cooking 101... What recipe is this ?? He kinda lost me with the prunes and the golden raisins..Yellow and green onions ? No salt & pepper ?Wonder did he consult with Erin Bates - who has been throwing down in the kitchen lately..

Ben_teaching_recipie.jpg.cd0ba7ae17816a865704ac85777cc9a6.jpg

Edited by sATL
  • LOL 1

sorry for being a little slow... I just realized (watching a repeat) JD and Abbie got engaged without the parents lurking in the background... which is an annoying little habit the Bates do..

Edited by sATL
  • Love 8
14 minutes ago, sATL said:

sorry for being a little slow... I just realized (watching a repeat) JD and Abbie got engaged with the parents lurking in the background... which is an annoying little habit the Bates do..

Parents weren't there. Just Jana and one of Abbie's sisters. That's all that could fit in the plane. ☺

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

okay I've seen the movie many times and I've never noticed the chemistry either. 

2 hours ago, sATL said:

Jessa : "  JB said - We don't want to stifle your creativity. Let's go outside and build a fort or something"... 

watching a movie - a musical no less - that still lives on since it was made in 1965 - stifles one creativity.... SMH...

really sounds like JB was too cheap to find a VHS (both the tape and the machine-box)...heaven forbid cable...

More like Gothard said all electronic media was evil or something like that. It helps that the movie was before JB's and Michelle's time. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, louannems said:

On the plus side, Ben strikes me as book-smarter than most Duggars (maybe all; I haven't spent a lot of time ranking them); so this is a step up for the lost girls and howlers, IMO.

• Love 15
33 minutes ago, SneezeWeasel said:

Since Jinjer and Jeremy actually waited a little while to have a baby, it was nice to see a couple who didn’t seem like strangers giving birth. 

on that note - are there any Duggar women pregnant  now (2019) ? Seems  like  all of the highly frequent  unprotected sex by by those in their 20s ( I guess  Anna is on her 30s) at least one person would be dropping  a baby at least  once a year. IE babies barely  10 - 11 months  apart. When I  saw  Henry walking  and Giddeon sitting up very well , I did wonder isn't  it about time...

Wonder how did jermery convince JB that they are going to wait to have children-  was that one of the essay questions ? 😂

• LOL 1
10 hours ago, louannems said:

You got me thinking - I wonder if this is really another example of how the boy/girl Duggar kids don't talk to each other beyond the superficial.  And I think a lot of the reason the boys and girls can't get too close is because of JB and Michelle's rules that were put in post Josh molestation.  I don't mean they don't talk at all obviously they do but do they sit down and have true conversations, know each others deep likes and dislikes?   The girls do that with each other and the boys probably talk to but I don't think girl/boy bonding happens and it's probably discouraged.    I would not be at all surprised if the Duggar boys who hate coffee really truly don't know about an Espresso or Americano or what is in a Latte because despite what some of their sisters drink they only have this basic surface information like "Jinger loves coffee" and it never goes beyond that.   There's no way that any of the boys sat at the breakfast table one day and actually spent time talking to Jinger while eating, asked her what type of coffee she was drinking, how is it made, what other coffees there are.

I'm not ready to fully write off Josiah and Lauren as an unhappy too quick to marry thing especially (as we've speculated) from Josiah but.........I thought the honeymoon was awkward to watch.  Maybe Lauren isn't comfortable being the sole focus yet.  Before with the chaperones and family around they had a bigger group except for the TL's.  But instead of having fun they came across like they were ticking off sightseeing boxes on some list and like they were doing it separately, it seemed like half the time Josiah was doing his thing and he just occasionally glanced over to see if Lauren was still there.  I'm not sure I"m saying this how I mean but it was a weird dynamic where I feel like Josiah could have been on that trip alone and he wouldn't have acted much differently then what we saw when most couples even those who lived together for years before marriage would be, on their honeymoon special trip, just a little more joined at the hip (or at least holding hands more).

Spurgeon and Henry continue to be the cutest of the grandkids, I hope that never changes. 

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, sATL said:

on that note - are there any Duggar women pregnant  now (2019)? 😂

Jessa is currently working on #3, but as far as we know that's the only confirmed pregnancy so far this year.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Twopper said:

I must confess that I really enjoyed what I saw of their trip to Austria.   Part of my SIL's family  live in Vienna so my daughter goes to Austria rather often; they did the "Sound of Music" tour when she went the first time.   I actually enjoyed the go-carts around Vienna, but I was sad that they didn't express an interest in going inside some of the places they saw.  I was also disappointed that they didn't go see the Lipizzans.   Maybe they did, but we didn't see their whole trip.   I hope they took a side trip to Hallstatt and its salt mine.

As a pounder, I find this remark funny.    They do the live chat which I can't do as I cannot stand to watch the show in real time, because it does the same thing as all TLC reality shows--it shows a teaser, a bunch of commercials, then a recap of what was on before the commercial, then the new stuff, another teaser, et cetera, et cetera.  I can usually watch an hour show in about 35-40 minutes.  My time is valuable, TLC.   And for a moment, I thought you meant 600 pounder fans, not fans of 600 pound life.

Well, I messed up on the multiquote again.   Sometimes I get it right, sometimes not.  Anyway, I had missed the birth of Felicity.  Did I see Michelle there?  I thought I glimpsed her.  I actually liked this midwife, unlike some others on this show.  And somehow I missed the last season.   I was shocked that there were already six grandsons before this girl.     I know it is mean, but I hope Jessa and Jill continue to have boys, and that any girl they have is the last child.  

They didn't include Anna's last baby boy in the count.

9 hours ago, sATL said:

Well, he has as associate degree in political science now..

cooking 101... What recipe is this ?? He kinda lost me with the prunes and the golden raisins..Yellow and green onions ? No salt & pepper ?Wonder did he consult with Erin Bates - who has been throwing down in the kitchen lately..

Ben_teaching_recipie.jpg.cd0ba7ae17816a865704ac85777cc9a6.jpg

That is a Moroccan dish (or Algerian or something). Very North African, in any case, with that blend of spices and a bit of sweet. I make stews like that a lot. (my mouth's watering just from looking at the recipe, actually). They're often called tagines -- which I guess just means stew cooked in an earthenware pot. They're great for slow cookers, too.

With all the spices in there you don't necessarily need salt and pepper, although they may be down at the bottom somewhere -- note that it cuts off in the middle of the chicken breast. Because of the French connections to North Africa, you find these in France, too. Deelicious. This is one of my favorite cuisines. 

Good for Bin if he's spreading this sort of cooking idea around this intentionally closed-off crowd. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, sigmaforce86 said:

You got me thinking - I wonder if this is really another example of how the boy/girl Duggar kids don't talk to each other beyond the superficial.  And I think a lot of the reason the boys and girls can't get too close is because of JB and Michelle's rules that were put in post Josh molestation.  I don't mean they don't talk at all obviously they do but do they sit down and have true conversations, know each others deep likes and dislikes?   The girls do that with each other and the boys probably talk to but I don't think girl/boy bonding happens and it's probably discouraged.    I would not be at all surprised if the Duggar boys who hate coffee really truly don't know about an Espresso or Americano or what is in a Latte because despite what some of their sisters drink they only have this basic surface information like "Jinger loves coffee" and it never goes beyond that.   There's no way that any of the boys sat at the breakfast table one day and actually spent time talking to Jinger while eating, asked her what type of coffee she was drinking, how is it made, what other coffees there are.

I'm not ready to fully write off Josiah and Lauren as an unhappy too quick to marry thing especially (as we've speculated) from Josiah but.........I thought the honeymoon was awkward to watch.  Maybe Lauren isn't comfortable being the sole focus yet.  Before with the chaperones and family around they had a bigger group except for the TL's.  But instead of having fun they came across like they were ticking off sightseeing boxes on some list and like they were doing it separately, it seemed like half the time Josiah was doing his thing and he just occasionally glanced over to see if Lauren was still there.  I'm not sure I"m saying this how I mean but it was a weird dynamic where I feel like Josiah could have been on that trip alone and he wouldn't have acted much differently then what we saw when most couples even those who lived together for years before marriage would be, on their honeymoon special trip, just a little more joined at the hip (or at least holding hands more).

Spurgeon and Henry continue to be the cutest of the grandkids, I hope that never changes. 

But I've seen their expensive Expresso machine sitting on the counter in the"pretty" kitchen numerous times.  Next to the fancy, antique type scales. I just think the coffee question was another stupid filler question.

I think the Duggars met the Von Trapp grandkids in a 19 Kids episode, so I wasn't surprised that Si had seen the movie. I think they talked about it then and we snarkers were surprised it wasn't too scandalous for them, what with the dancing and a premarital kiss. 

Si and Lauren are definitely dull. He has to be having regrets. She just sucks all the fun out of him. I'm as sad for him as I am most of the daughters, for what this cult has done to him. He had such a spark as a kid, and now he's sentenced to a life of dullness and working at a family car lot.* So much potential wasted. 

*Not that there is anything wrong with making a living selling cars. I'm just certain it's not what his dreams were or where he'd be if not for Boob and Gothard. 

• Love 13