Type keyword(s) to search

S39: Spoilers & Speculation

mantakesfish
Message added by Whimsy

We are splitting this topic into two.  This one now is for the Season 39 Speculation & Spoilers ONLY.  Take season 40 discussion to the newly created thread.  Thanks!!

• Start Topic

On 4/17/2019 at 11:12 AM, PhoneCop said:

And now having put the idea of an all-early boots season out there again, I skimmed the cast lists from the last ten years and, other than Francesca, came up with all of five people I might want to see again (Nadia, Vince, Mari, Katrina, Pat). Well, six, but Gillian from Gabon would be in her 70s by now, so she's probably out. I wonder what Wanda and Jonathan are up to these days...

I always wanted "Skinny Ryan" back. But, honestly, other than him and Francesca, I can't remember most first boots, either. 

I think production has become complacent while staying on Fiji.  They have their set clearings in the jungle and beachside where they stage all the comps.  As we've discussed elsewhere, they haven't had a good "run through the jungle" or giant maze or nut-busting blindfolded obstacle course comp in a long, long time.    I almost wonder if the Fijian government said "you can clear and film here, here, here, here, and here, and have artificially maintained clearings of this size here and here.  No more." and that's why we're stuck at the same two competition sites over and over and over and stuck with the "stand on this stump/rail/pole and hold/balance these balls/weights/position" challenges over and over and over.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

This might explain why Boston Rob has been MIA from twitter since February:

http://insidesurvivor.com/two-former-survivor-winners-to-feature-on-season-39-38355

Two of Survivor’s most iconic winners will apparently feature on the upcoming thirty-ninth season, according to Inside Survivor sources. Those two former champions are “Boston” Rob Mariano and Sandra Diaz-Twine, who between them have competed on seven seasons of the hit reality-show.

While details remain scarce at the moment, it’s believed that Rob and Sandra will be acting as “advisers” rather than active players in the game. The Survivor veterans are there to offer advice and guidance to the crop of new castaways competing on the season currently filming in Fiji. Unlike John Cochran in Game Changers, who shared advice with Debbie Wanner as part of an Exile reward, this is expected to be a season-long twist, not just a one-off appearance.

It’s currently unclear exactly how this concept will work or to what extent Rob and Sandra’s role is in the season. However, we don’t believe either returning player will be living at camp with the new castaways, at least not on a permanent basis. That would suggest the past champions are being kept separate from the cast and will only appear when called upon to give advice (perhaps as part of a reward or some sort of Exile twist).

We also don’t know how this will affect season 40 and the recently revealed “all-winners” theme. Does that mean Rob and Sandra are now out of the running for the clash of champions? Or will they be participating in both? With the fortieth season set to begin filming just a few weeks after season 39 wraps, it would mean almost three months spent in Fiji should the pair choose to do both.

Rob and Sandra are multiple time Survivor players who both made it to day 39 on two separate occasions; Sandra winning both Pearl Islands and Heroes vs. Villains, while Rob finished as runner-up in All-Stars before claiming victory on his fourth attempt in Redemption Island. The duo have also been former tribemates and allies as part of the Villains tribe on the legendary Heroes vs. Villains season.

Season 39 will air in fall 2019. Stay tuned to Inside Survivor for more information in the coming weeks.

I’m curious what this means, given the theme of S40.  Are both, one, or neither going to be on there?  Is this Probst’s stupid way of introducing the alleged theme of S40 at the reunion because he thinks the viewers needs a visual aide?  

DvsG was so great, with new people, minimal twists and advantages and idols, and old school Survivor game play and editing.  Why can’t they follow that formula?  This season has been terrible, mainly because of the returning players and the EOE twist.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TVFan1 said:

Why would these new players even need advice for anyway? 

They spun Steph and Bobby John as "advisors," as well as spinning Rob and Hantz as "resources." Of course, in both cases, those players could still win. 

• Love 1

Well, Stephenie was a good advisor at how to lose challenge after challenge...so I guess Sandra can advise how to burn ugly hats, and Rob can show that you can win on your 4th try if TPTB cast the right brainless sheep against you.

I still think this is more to hype up S40 than anything else.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

LEAVE FIJI, JEFF.

I know, not happening anytime soon, if ever, but this just sounds like a big ol' slab of DNW. Plus they already did it on BB, although introducing veterans as "coaches" was ultimately (and very transparently) a mechanism to eventually bring them into the game as full players; I'd like to believe that Survivor's PTB are at least smart enough not to do that.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Well, Stephenie was a good advisor at how to lose challenge after challenge...so I guess Sandra can advise how to burn ugly hats, and Rob can show that you can win on your 4th try if TPTB cast the right brainless sheep against you.

I still think this is more to hype up S40 than anything else.

You're selling Sandra short. She can also advise on how to pin your evil deeds on someone else. 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, CheetaraThunder said:

If I want “ advisers” , for females give me Parv/Kim...and for males: I can deal with Boston Rob, maybe Earl.

Yul would be a solid advisor. I actually think Sarah would be a great female advisor. I am not sold on Sandra as an advisor, her game is not exactly something you can teach and I am not sure what type of skills she bring to tribal life.

• Love 1
(edited)

Redmond has added another castaway to the link above.  So another Olympic swimmer has been cast hopefully Elizabeth does better than the last one Katrina from Survivor HHH. Also we have many Kellys and some Kelleys but now we finally have a Kellee.

I am curious to see if any Canadians get cast.

Edited by LanceM
32 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

So Sandra and Rob are just going to hang out on Island of the Idols like little mole people, waiting for someone to come ask them a question? LOL. They're both great players because they're good at figuring out tribe dynamics and working around them, but I can't see them being very useful if they're not living at the camps and knowing the various personalities and alliances. Oh well, I like them both and they're getting paid so it's fine by me even though I can't see it adding anything to the season.

That guy Jack's audition video was initially Portrait of a Douche, but then it took a delightful turn when his mom was combing his hair. And the parkour! Ha. He looks like he might be fun and even aside from the hair, he gives off Fabio vibes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

(sigh)

How about "Survivor: Back to Basics" and try the game with the same rules as season 1.

I’ve been saying this for years.  I say do a no idol/advantage season, but don’t tell them.  I think it would create great paranoia.  

David and Goliath was so good and so well received, that I was hoping S39 would be the same.  I don’t know why TPTB think having returning players (especially those who’ve returned over and over again) adds anything to a season that isn’t an all star season.  S38 I’m happy that the newbies wanted the returning players out and weren’t just going to let them coast to the final 3.  Yet I also found the newbies annoying for wanting the returning players out lol I think it was more they weren’t getting favorable edits and the focus at Kama seemed to be about voting off Aubry/Joe so everyone else got their turn.  I really don’t get the point of this twist, but I hope there isn’t a ton of focus on the island of Sandra and Rob.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

(sigh)

How about "Survivor: Back to Basics" and try the game with the same rules as season 1.

Yep. Have wanted that for years now. See how the gamebots and superfans who only want big moves for the sake of big moves adapt to the original rules. And tell them at the outset that it’s back to basics, so there isn’t any time wasted on idol hunts, etc.

• Love 1

So if Player A comes to Rob and says, "I have an alliance with B, C, D, and E, but E is on the bottom," and then next week, Player E comes to Rob and says, "I feel like I'm on the bottom of my alliance with A, B, C, D." What Would Rob Do??

• Love 3
(edited)

Rob and Sandra actually got statues made of them for their island.  You gotta be kidding me.  After this season craptacular run, why do they think returning players will make it all better for next season?  What is wrong with just newbies?

I still fail to see what purpose Rob and Sandra are going to serve.  Sandra at least won one two of her three attempts the first time.  It took Rob four times and a sheep filled season to finally win.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I feel like they've run out of ideas that they not only have to keep bringing returning players back, but that the season is called Island of Idols-all or most of that title applying to Rob and Sandra.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

So Season 38 is like “I suck so badly that I guy voted out on day 5 won. It can’t get any worse.” And season 39 is like ”Hold my beer”

Seriously though.

It's a terrifying thought, but I really do think this season will be even worse than EoE. 

The concept alone is bad, but then I saw the statues. I think the show has officially jumped the shark. 

A part of me really hopes they just end it with 40 because I know I won't actually quit watching until it ends but I really don't wanna be watching anymore lol.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, cherrypj said:

So if Player A comes to Rob and says, "I have an alliance with B, C, D, and E, but E is on the bottom," and then next week, Player E comes to Rob and says, "I feel like I'm on the bottom of my alliance with A, B, C, D." What Would Rob Do??

Who. The. Fuck. Cares.

And that's already my problem with next season.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
(edited)

Redmond has added a few more names, we now have 13/20 castaways spoiled.  There was also an Asian male in the preview last night, so I guess 14 spoiled?  Definitely an older and more diverse leaning cast so far. 

I'm with those that totally think Sandra and Rob will enter the game at some point and play.  I can't believe either are just going to sit on an island and offer advice for 39 days.  I also see another Rob vs Russell showdown type at the reunion (except in this case, it's whose the better winner and can give the best advice), probably to hype up the next season.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

I don't see a point of Rob and Sandra being advisors at all. The players should be able to play, think, and adapt on their own. 

I'm in the minority, I don't think Rob and Sandra will actually join in and play the game. There also wouldn't be a point.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

There was also an Asian male in the preview last night ...

They showed players in the preview? I only remember seeing Sandra and Rob.

I was gonna say they wouldn't let Rob and Sandra come into the game in the middle of it because that's way too unfair and BB like, but then I remembered that lol they don't and never did care about fairness so yea Rob and Sandra will probably become players at some point.

Hey, we have a first Canadian born Survivor!  And of course he is an ex-NHL player. lol.  I can't wait until they reveal the next Canadian player, a mountie from Saskatoon.

• LOL 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

They showed players in the preview? I only remember seeing Sandra and Rob.

I was gonna say they wouldn't let Rob and Sandra come into the game in the middle of it because that's way too unfair and BB like, but then I remembered that lol they don't and never did care about fairness so yea Rob and Sandra will probably become players at some point.

The contestants are at the :39 mark.

So if Rob and Sandra come back, anyone going to say they won't have an idol in their pocket?  Or automatic immunity or some other advantage that prevents them from getting voted out?

Edited by LadyChatts

The thing that makes me really nervous is the fact that, "The two will be similarly surviving as the contestants, though will have better initial supplies and more time for constructing their shelter and feeding themselves."

Why!? Why would you have them LIVING AS CONTESTANTS unless there's the possibility that they might be able to enter the game? Why not just have them go to Ponderosa or something? It is because you need some sort of bullshit excuse of why it's really okay if they suddenly enter the game at the merge or something? 

Big Brother had the same thing with coaches in S14 and they inevitably re-entered the game as players because spending a bunch of tv time on a group of people who can't do anything would be a boring, waste of time.  

• Love 2
17 hours ago, LanceM said:

Hey, we have a first Canadian born Survivor!  And of course he is an ex-NHL player. lol.  I can't wait until they reveal the next Canadian player, a mountie from Saskatoon.

Not quite the first.  Remember beef-jerky-gate?  Can't remember his name but it was in one of the early seasons.

I wonder Rob and Sandra will be mentors like in The Voice in that they pick and coach their own teams. Then maybe who has the most team members left at the merge comes into the game.