Type keyword(s) to search

S39: Spoilers & Speculation

mantakesfish
Message added by Whimsy

We are splitting this topic into two.  This one now is for the Season 39 Speculation & Spoilers ONLY.  Take season 40 discussion to the newly created thread.  Thanks!!

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I think a season of past winners would be great. They should be able to find 16 or so winners out of 37 who could do it.

Wasn't one recent season supposed to be like winners vs pre-merge vs. post-merge but they couldn't get enough winners? But really I think it more has to do with the fact that TPTB don't really like a lot of the winners/don't think they're interesting enough to play again. If they would let go of that I figure they could probably get enough winners to do an all-winner season and almost certainly they could get enough to do a tribe of winners or something.

Edited by peachmangosteen
4 minutes ago, TVFan1 said:

Aren't some winners willing to play again? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

I'm sure there are, but again, it's probably a lot of winners that TPTB just don't think are interesting enough to play again. I believe Probst himself has actually said that there aren't enough interesting winners.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Wasn't one recent season supposed to be like winners vs pre-merge vs. post-merge but they couldn't get enough winners? But really I think it more has to do with the fact that TPTB don't really like a lot of the winners/don't think they're interesting enough to play again. If they would let go of that I figure they could probably get enough winners to do an all-winner season and almost certainly they could get enough to do a tribe of winners or something.

That was supposed to be the theme for S34.  Among the winners who didn't make the final cut were Danni, Sophie, and Earl (Natalie Anderson did but dropped out last minute due to work commitments-that's how we wound up with Sierra).  I think Earl dropped out before the final cut due to other commitments, and Sophie was just cut from the roster.  I'm assuming that was the case with Danni.  But your right that Probst has said they haven't done an all winners season because (according to him) they don't have enough interesting winners.  Because there've been more than enough winners who've said they want to return to make up an 18 or 20 person season.

When I look at the winners, three of the ones that Probst would probably want back might not return: Sandra, Boston Rob, and Parvati.  Rob and Parvati pretty much said they were done, and Parvati just had a baby.  The early winners, Hatch, Vecepia, Brian, and Jenna, may not even be considered (I'm 99% sure Brian wouldn't be).  Amber has said she has no plans on coming back, I thought I read that Tom had health problems, which leaves Chris (who says he wants to return), Tina (probably the most likely of the early group to come back), and Ethan.  Guatemala to HvsV, we've had winners already return or be considered, and then those like Parvati who said she wouldn't come back.  

My feeling is that most of the winners will be post HvsV, with a smaller chunk from Guatemala-Samoa, and then a couple from the early seasons.  That's if they do an all winners season.  I could see them doing HvsV again, but I'd like to see a mix of returning players that finished all over, like they originally planned for S34 (and I hope they go back to the early seasons for some of their picks).  Maybe pre-show alliances will be less likely if they aren't all from the last 10 seasons.  I'd love to see Danni back, just to finally have a Guatemala rep return.  I continue to find that an underappreciated season with an underrated cast.

ETA: Oh, and the possible theme choices for S39 sound horrible.  They need to get out of Fiji.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I don't expect them to leave Fiji any time soon.  They appear to have a good deal there, and have plenty of room.  Other than the seasons that went to completely different places (Australia, Africa, China, Amazon, Guatamala) pretty much all other seasons were on some type of island.  Would people really know the difference if Survivor said they were back at Vanuato, or Pearl Islands?

If they do a 3 tribe thing, I'm sure they could get 6 or 7 "interesting" prior winners.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 2

One thing I love about returning player seasons (especially big milestone ones) is that so many former Survivors start coming out the wood work, interacting with fans, asking to do podcasts, telling fans to tell Probst and CBS how much they want to see them back...always fun.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

I wish they’d go someplace cold. THEN we’d see who’s a true survivor.

There are several reasons why Survivor will never be in a cold climate, some given by Jeff himself.

He always says something like, 'They'll be forced to build a new society! And if they can't fit in, they'll be voted out!' in the very first episode. Survivor is mostly a social game, not an actual survival game. That goes back to the first season, first voted out (Souna, as I recall Sue spelling it). At the reunion, Sonya said she'd been naive and thought it was about who was the best Survivor and would rise triumphantly to the top. She didn't think of the social aspect of it.

If it was in a cold climate, then there's no seeing hot chicks and dudes running around in their bikinis and underwear (which, face it, is always brought up. Every season there's talk about who the 'hottest' ones are and who looks better as the game goes on).

And mostly, per Jeff, 'If they were in a cold climate, there'd be very little action. It would be boring. Just a bunch of people, huddled together and all bundled up, barely speaking, just trying to keep warm. Who would want to watch that?' (paraphrased).

• Love 1

I have to think, too, that there might be more physical risks in a colder climate.  Look at what the elements do in warmer, tropical environments.  While I think doing a colder location would be interesting, I can see why they haven't done it (among the other reasons stated, mainly the bikini one).

I don't expect them to leave Fiji any time soon.  They appear to have a good deal there, and have plenty of room.  Other than the seasons that went to completely different places (Australia, Africa, China, Amazon, Guatamala) pretty much all other seasons were on some type of island.  Would people really know the difference if Survivor said they were back at Vanuato, or Pearl Islands?

I think the biggest thing is they could stop doing these themes (or at least not have the excuse to do them if they moved locations-because Probst sure seems to like coming up with them and pretending he was looking at the cast and it just came to him what that season should be called and divided as).  And I do miss the land locked locations.  I thought it added a nice change every so often.  But Probst has raved about Fiji and how much better and comfortable production is.  I don't know how many more seasons Survivor has before the ax comes down, but I'm resigned to the fact we aren't going anywhere and can fantasize about the ridiculous themes they will come up with in the mean time.

• Love 1

Since they are stuck in Fiji, just call the show "Survivor". Survivor is the name and game the players are playing. Why have a theme attached at the end if you're not doing locations anymore? No point.

• Love 2

Well, they have to have some sort of 'theme', because otherwise, its just S36, S37, S38 and they'd forget the numbers. Having the theme makes each season a tad more memorable.  I couldn't tell you what number GenX v. Mill was, or Second Chances.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, Hanahope said:

Well, they have to have some sort of 'theme', because otherwise, its just S36, S37, S38 and they'd forget the numbers. Having the theme makes each season a tad more memorable.  I couldn't tell you what number GenX v. Mill was, or Second Chances.

The early seasons were called by their locations.  Even a season like Guatemala and Gabon had a longer official title (Gabon was 'Earth's Last Eden' and Guatemala was 'The Mayan Empire').  So they could either call it by it's location or add a twist on it like that.  

That said, I do agree that regardless of where they go, they would probably still use a theme.  S32 was B/B/B divisions, but the season was called Koah Rong.  I don't know why they think they need themes in those cases.  It's not even like the theme ends up mattering, but some of the themes haven't been that original.  And I really don't want an increase in returning player seasons after S40 or seasons like our current one with a mix of newbies and vets.  

BTW, do we know if Survivor has been renewed past S40 yet?

• Love 1

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-season-40-theme-38201?fbclid=IwAR0h-P9tD_G8al9erHCCx4QgtmXRGVPeqZ66K3RyRxW4EjCdfDsT4xhPUG8

Rumored theme for S40: all winners season:

An “all winners” (will likely have a different title) season is an interesting development given Jeff Probst’s feelings on the concept. Last September, in an interview with Us Weekly, the host and executive producer said “We can’t do all winners… As a producer, I would never suggest it. I would say it’s not a good idea.”

The Emmy-winner went on to say, “We have 10 great winners that you’d want to see play again. We don’t have 20. We don’t have 18. Some of the winners don’t want to play again. Some of the greats are like, ‘No, we’re done.’” However, he admitted that the network execs at CBS were really high on the idea.

“[CBS is] pitching me all the time,” he continued. “And I’m going, ‘I’ll sit down with you and show you the list!’ We don’t have it. And if I sat down and we wasted our time and I walked you through all our winners, you would say, ‘Oh, you’re right. You don’t have a season.’ We have a tribe of winners, that’s it.”

Obviously something changed since then and the CBS higher-ups managed to get their way – I will detail the entire, chaotic casting process for this season in a later post. This champion-filled season isn’t scheduled to film until next month and so all casting rumors will remain on lock in the meantime.

What do you think about this clash of champions? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

I kind of hope Probst got overruled by CBS for this theme and then has to spin how much he's in favor of it.  I'll again say Probst didn't want this theme because he didn't have enough winners he wanted back.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4

Love it. I always thought Jeff, "it would be boring," was wrong. There are actually a lot of good characters in the winners' bunch and I imagine a few would be more entertaining if things weren't going right for them and they were pushed into underdog/blundering roles. 

My guess is there's probably three you can take right off the table though: Richard, Rob, Cochran. Richard probably doesn't get touched in the MeToo era (no pun intended). Rob has said he won't go back and I imagine he really doesn't want to taint his legacy ending on a loss. Cochran has also said he wouldn't go back but maybe there's some flexibility with it being an All-Winners season. 

And as much I hated Michelle's win with an all-burning fury, she might actually be a good choice? Like she'll probably want to play hard considering the years of constantly getting shit on by a large stretch of the Survivor fandom. Or she'll UTR her way to another win by virtue of being the least threatening winner. Whatever. 

I feel like the odds are better that this will majorly suck than be good, but I'm intrigued.

This would be how I'd cast it, assuming there will be 18 players and an even split between men and women: Michele, Kim, Natalie W., Sophie, Danni, Natalie A., Denise, Vecepia, Sarah, Wendell, Yul, Jud, Earl ... OK, now it's hard since I don't really wanna see any more of the male winners again. Hell, I barely wanna see the ones I mentioned again! I guess, to round out the men, Chris, JT (just to see what boneheaded thing he'd do this time), Tom (but only because there's a chance I'd get to watch him lose), Adam (see Tom for reasoning), and I guess Jeremy.

But unfortunately for me I think several of the women I'd like to see would not do it. I don't see Kim doing it again at all. Ditto Danni and Vecepia. I don't really think Sophie or Natalie W. would either.

I feel like there are some people who are almost locks and I do not wanna see most of them. Ben is almost certainly gonna be cast which ugh. Tony, Mike, and Tyson are probably ones that would totally say yes if asked.

Oh, I imagine the winner of this current season will probably be asked and do it.

• Love 2

I'm looking at the list of winners and TBH I agree with Probst; there aren't 18 of them I'd want to see play again. If I had to cast 18, I guess my picks would be Vecepia, Jenna, Danni, Natalie W, Kim, Denise, Natalie A, Michelle, Sarah, and for the men, Yul, Earl, Fabio, Tony, Mike, Jeremy, Wendell, Nick, and if David wins this season, then David. If he doesn't, then ... Chris, maybe? But if you ask me who out of those groups I really want to see play again, then it would probably just be Vecepia, Natalie A, and Yul. Everyone else, even if I liked them at the time or thought that they were deserving winners, is just meh to me now. And there are people not on my list who I think would have been great in an all-winners season if it had been done years ago, but because they waited so long, they've already played too many times.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2

A run down of the winners:

22 Men: Richard, Ethan, Brian, Chris, Tom, Aras, Yul, Earl, Todd, Bob, JT, Jud, Rob, Cochran, Tyson, Tony, Mike, Jeremy, Adam, Ben, Wendell, Nick

14 Women: Tina, Vecepia, Jenna, Sandra (2x), Amber, Danni, Parvati, Natalie W., Sophie, Kim, Denise, Natalie A., Michele, Sarah 

Danni, Sophie, Earl, and Natalie A. were all on the short list for S34.  Danni had said after her win she wouldn't do a season that wasn't all winners.

Of the women, I think Tina, Sandra, Danni, Sophie, Denise, Natalie A., Michele, and Sarah are the most likely to be asked back.  They've either expressed interest or, again, have shown up on short lists for other alumni seasons.  I know once upon a time Vecepia said she wanted to come back, but not sure if that's still the case.  As sad as it is to say, the fact that she's the only African American female winner (and one of the few African American winners in general) might work in her favor if she wanted to return.  Parvati had said she was done and just had a baby a few months ago, but I suppose there's a slim chance she could be persuaded in a season like this.

Jenna is a wild card to return.  I know Amber has said she had no interest in returning, Natalie W. has fallen off the Survivor grid, and Kim doesn't seem like she has any interest in returning that I've seen.  We don't know whose winning this season yet, but if it's a women, she might get cast just because they need the number to even it out.  I'm assuming whoever wins S39 won't be cast.

As for the men, I wouldn't rule out Hatch 100%.  I think TPTB are less likely to bring him back because he tried to make them a scape goat for his tax troubles, and not because of the Sue incident.  But he was the first ever winner, so...yeah, that's a tough one.  I'd say of the men, Ethan, Earl, JT, Tyson, Tony, Jeremy, Ben, Wendell, and Nick would probably be on the return list.  Chris has expressed interest in returning, but not sure if he'd make the short list.  I don't know where Yul stands with wanting to return.  Todd could come back as a redemption story.  I know Rob said he was done, but he might be tempted to return for a season like this.  I'd be very surprised to see Cochran.  I know Tom had a lot if health issues going on, and Aras also said he was done (but again, we'll see).  

@peachmangosteen, I agree that I'd only want Adam back to see him actually have to play the game and not just cry himself to victory.  I'd love to see him in a final 3 with Sandra and Tony and try to pull that crap with them that he did with Hannah and Ken (talking over them, holding his hand up and trying to downplay their case for a game).  Sandra would eat him alive.

In all, I would have much rather seen a variety for this season-winners, mergers, pre-mergers.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I don't know where Yul stands with wanting to return. 

He's said that he would only return for an all-winners season, but that was a decade ago. He's hosted a couple of documentary series since then and is now an executive at Google, so he might be over Survivor entirely by now.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, fishcakes said:

If I had to cast 18, I guess my picks would be Vecepia, Jenna, Danni, Natalie W, Kim, Denise, Natalie A, Michelle, Sarah, and for the men, Yul, Earl, Fabio, Tony, Mike, Jeremy, Wendell, Nick, and if David wins this season, then David. If he doesn't, then ... Chris, maybe? 

Wow, I forgot Nick lol. I googled the winner's list and I'm pretty sure he isn't included in it. Weird. I would definitely put Nick in there for the men since he's one of the few male winners I like.

5 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

@peachmangosteen, I agree that I'd only want Adam back to see him actually have to play the game and not just cry himself to victory.  I'd love to see him in a final 3 with Sandra and Tony and try to pull that crap with them that he did with Hannah and Ken (talking over them, holding his hand up and trying to downplay their case for a game).  Sandra would eat him alive.

Now I really wanna see Sandra and Adam both play just to see Sandra annihilate him.

If I had to pick one man and one woman that I just don't see doing it it'd be Kim and Yul. It's just like, why would they? They have no reason to. I also highly doubt Natalie W. would play again, but I hope I'm wrong because she's one of my top 5 winners.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Wow, I forgot Nick lol. I googled the winner's list and I'm pretty sure he isn't included in it. Weird. I would definitely put Nick in there for the men since he's one of the few male winners I like.

Now I really wanna see Sandra and Adam both play just to see Sandra annihilate him.

If I had to pick one man and one woman that I just don't see doing it it'd be Kim and Yul. It's just like, why would they? They have no reason to. I also highly doubt Natalie W. would play again, but I hope I'm wrong because she's one of my top 5 winners.

Sandra will probably give Adam lots to really cry about.

I expect there to be a couple of surprises with some of the returning players that we wouldn't have expected to come back.  I feel sorry for the ones that feel like they have to come back just for redemption, like Michele.  I'm no fan of hers by any stretch, but I hate how Probst ragged on her win.  On the other hand, seeing a boob like JT come back and try to prove he can play this game without Stephen holding his hand, only to see him hilariously screw it up again will be fun.  Will he go for the double whammy, and not only get himself voted out, but also inadvertently get someone else voted out like he did Malcolm?  Whatever the case, I want cartoon sound effects anytime he tries to strategize or think he's pulling off a big move.

So FWIW, this was posted on CBS's twitter account today.  Kind of interesting they'd post this 'where are they now' of the winners, when they usually save this stuff for the actual milestone.

https://www.tvguide.com/galleries/survivor-winners-where-are-they-now/

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

So FWIW, this was posted on CBS's twitter account today.  Kind of interesting they'd post this 'where are they now' of the winners, when they usually save this stuff for the actual milestone.

https://www.tvguide.com/galleries/survivor-winners-where-are-they-now/

LOL at the slideshow. They clearly didn't do any research; it's mostly, "JT has been on Survivor a bunch of times," "Vecepia has not been in the spotlight since winning," or "Michele likes to tweet about Survivor."

But it did produce two things that will annoy/amuse @peachmangosteen. The incredibly tooly photo of Adam, and the news that Bob Crowley wrote an autobiography, which, based on the looks of its Amazon page, was not wildly successful.

• Love 1

Cosigning the above, especially if they can get Amanda back.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've been pushing for years for a season of first and second boots. I seem to recall So nearly returning a few seasons back, and could Francesca keep herself from being voted out first a third time?

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Special K said:

They should do a season of second-placers.

I'm down.  let's see what Neleh and Katie and Dreamz can do 🙂

Just keep Lil and Coach the hell away. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, PhoneCop said:

Cosigning the above, especially if they can get Amanda back.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've been pushing for years for a season of first and second boots. I seem to recall So nearly returning a few seasons back, and could Francesca keep herself from being voted out first a third time?

If that's what it takes to get Chicken Morris back, do it

• Love 1
3 hours ago, phlebas said:

If that's what it takes to get Chicken Morris back, do it

Heh. Well, if this were to happen in 2020, he'd only be 60 or so. I would've guessed he was 60 then, LOL.

And now having put the idea of an all-early boots season out there again, I skimmed the cast lists from the last ten years and, other than Francesca, came up with all of five people I might want to see again (Nadia, Vince, Mari, Katrina, Pat). Well, six, but Gillian from Gabon would be in her 70s by now, so she's probably out. I wonder what Wanda and Jonathan are up to these days...

What do we think are the odds of Sandra actually coming back for S40? I took her at her word that she was done, but would she be determined enough to defend her two-time crown even though the target on her back would probably be insurmountable?

• Love 1

I thought Sandra said she would do it again?  I can imagine the target would be huge on her back, but at least she's with other winners.  I'm sure she is someone TPTB will really try to persuade, especially if they can't get Boston Rob, Parvati, and Cochran.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, PhoneCop said:

Oh, I guess she would; I thought she and Cirie had joined the ranks of veterans who were done. Well...time will tell.

Personally, I doubt Sandra would even necessarily be playing to win; with her past history, nobody will ever let her get that close to the end.  In a returning-player season, though, I could easily see Sandra participating solely to play spoiler for anybody who looks like they might get within sniffing difference of threatening her ‘crown’.  

That was part of the impression I got from Sandra’s performance in Game Changers, actually; while I’m certain Sandra wouldn’t have turned down another win, I kinda got the vibe her primary impetus was to make sure the other two previous winners in that season (Tony and J. T.) didn’t get the chance to threaten her sole possession of the “two-timer” title.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

I kinda got the vibe her primary impetus was to make sure the other two previous winners in that season (Tony and J. T.) didn’t get the chance to threaten her sole possession of the “two-timer” title.

Judging by how they played, Tony and J.T. wanted that too.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I really wonder if they'd have Michele Fitzgerald back. She was rumored to be really close to being cast on MTV's The Challenge, so I'd think CBS has sort of "given up" her "rights." Wendell also expressed interest in The Challenge, but I think CBS still "controls" his "rights."

The reason I never wanted an all-winners season is because I don't want to see two/three/four-time players versus "played once and won" players.

I will laugh so hard if Adam abandons his poker cult in the Virgin Islands to compete on Survivor, only to be a pre-jury boot.

I'd love to see Nick again, though.

They clearly didn't do any research; it's mostly, "JT has been on Survivor a bunch of times," "Vecepia has not been in the spotlight since winning," or "Michele likes to tweet about Survivor."

I feel like these people wrote their own bios, or at least provided details, because some of these are so obscure, there's no way a researcher could've found them. (i.e., there's no way Michele advertises her love of Harry Potter that much on her social media).

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:38 AM, Lamb18 said:

Also, it would be cool if for season 40 the season was a repeat of season 1 as far as no idols, two tribes, etc., go. 

And a new location, too!

Survivor: Suriname would be interesting.

I have been saying that for years.  They could call it Survivor: Back To Basics, someone must have pitched that idea by now.  

18 hours ago, phlebas said:

I'm down.  let's see what Neleh and Katie and Dreamz can do 🙂

Just keep Lil and Coach the hell away. 

Had to give you a crying face response for not wanting Coach or Lil back.  How awesome would it be to see them play so poorly again.

12 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

But, would Kim want to come back after completely dominating her season and cleaning house?

I don't think there's a chance in hell she'd come back. Maybe if they offered her a boatload of money, but probably not even then.

11 hours ago, Eolivet said:

I will laugh so hard if Adam abandons his poker cult in the Virgin Islands to compete on Survivor, only to be a pre-jury boot.

I really need this to happen.

• Love 2

I assume they'll just offer them really steep appearance fees. It would probably make more sense to raise the prize limit though. I imagine 5 million is way too much. I could maybe see them doing 2 million.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2019 at 4:03 AM, BK1978 said:

Had to give you a crying face response for not wanting Coach or Lil back.  How awesome would it be to see them play so poorly again.

Okay, to be fair, Lil I wouldn't object to as much. She's in her late 60s now, but I think she can still bring whatever she had the first time around. And by that I mean, she can get another boy scout outfit and sound like she's going to cry the whole time.

I might also be ruined by Rob C.'s impression of her.

I was done with the Dragonslayer the second time we saw him. I don't even care that he's in on the joke. If we're going to bring in a crazy person for this hypothetical season, go get The Specialist. I want to find out what Hannah Shapiro's name in Stealth'R'Us is.

Edited by phlebas
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

During AS Tina and Ethan tried getting the top prize amount raised to $2 million dollars.  I figure if the TPTB wouldn’t cave then when the show was in its prime, they won’t cave now.

It's possible that the prize was going to be $2M, but Tina and Ethan ruined it before it was announced. Before the show was even cast, the rumor was that the prize was $2M, and then Tina and Ethan made a stink in People magazine about how $1M wasn't enough. Tina said it should be $2M, and Ethan claimed that having former winners back made the prize worth $5M, which is hilarious considering that he only won Africa because Kim handed it to him instead of Lex. I think the TPTB didn't want to look like they were caving, so Jeff gave a statement that if $1M wasn't enough for them, they could stay home. Ultimately, the prize was only $1M, but this was also the season that the Fan Favorite money Rupert won was $1M and paid for by the show, not Sprint. (After this season, the FF prize was only $150K.) So I don't know if the rumored $2M was always supposed to be divided between the winner and the Fan Favorite, or if they only decided to do that after Tina and Ethan's sad little extortion attempt in order to discourage future players from thinking they could dictate prize money. The funny little P.S. to the story for me was that when the Fan Favorite prize was announced at the reunion, each player had to make a video for the voting site, saying why they should win it. Tina acted completely above it all in her video saying, "don't vote for me, I don't need a million dollars. I already have a million dollars."

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2