Type keyword(s) to search

[Not A Bug] Post Notifications Not Going To Correct Post

MajorNelson

A notification may end in something like https://...........#comment-5061234

But when that link is opened in a new tab, my machine often does not take me to the exact post, perhaps a little above or below, and then I have to search around hovering over the Like button to see the comment number, and that takes a few seconds to see the entire url as it unscrolls in a 2 step process.

If the post number 5061234 was just shown somewhere in the post it would make life easier.  Also other forum software will use post numbers, and one can click and use them as permanent links, so generally the thread has a thread number and title, then there s post 1, 2, 3, 4 etc within that thread.  Easy to understand and refer to.  People can say "see post 23 in this thread for more info."  Having the post number visible here could help as well in like manner.

Thanks!

• Love 1

Currently, the system works by taking you directly to the post in question, which has a gold line at the top to denote it's the correct post.

I clicked the link you provided and was taken directly to your post:

yogsd.thumb.jpg.02880ff20bc77cfdc060f5c5687c77c0.jpg

If you're not seeing this; which device(s) are you not seeing this behaviour on?

Additionally, to link directly to a specific post, you can click the time/date stamp beneath the username then copy the url - see pic 1 below. Or you can click the share icon (pic 2) and get the link that way.

Pic 1:

vfyau.thumb.jpg.96563a9b6e1e29ded81bd3f78ceb0b8f.jpg

Pic 2: 

vfyau.thumb.jpg.f5adcb69c16beb93bdd32f25f914a682.jpg

Ever since the upgrade, when I get a notification and click the link, it brings me to the end of the thread, not the first new post. I have been scrolling up to find things, but it does take longer and is kind of a hassle.

I use the most updated Firefox on Win7.

I've cleared my cookies and cache, to no avail.

I have just been living with it, but having seen Major Nelson's post, I wanted to let you all know I'm in similar straits.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Ever since the upgrade, when I get a notification and click the link, it brings me to the end of the thread, not the first new post. I have been scrolling up to find things, but it does take longer and is kind of a hassle.

I use the most updated Firefox on Win7.

I've cleared my cookies and cache, to no avail.

I have just been living with it, but having seen Major Nelson's post, I wanted to let you all know I'm in similar straits.

Ditto to this entire post.  (I only occasionally click on those links to see what post is being referred to in the notification, so I haven't bothered noting it, but it is definitely something that only started happening with the update.)

Here are links from two notifications I had in my followed content, which brought me to the bottom of the page when I clicked them:

https://forums.previously.tv/topic/90843-s01e15-the-rock/?do=getNewComment

https://forums.previously.tv/topic/27258-online-dating-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/?do=getNewComment

There are probably more, but I haven't gone through all of my notifications yet.

I'm not really seeing any YT or other stuff on these pages.

I've noticed that it's not happening with EVERY followed thread today. It's intermittent. In the beginning it was every single one. So... that's odd.

First: I'm not sure how in my OP there was a link to a comment - I wan't trying to post one.

Here are some problem links from last night.  But as I go through it, let me tell my basic technique.

Technique: On  a desktop/laptop....From the notification window, I right click on a link and open in a new tab (in Chrome).  Then I head over to the tab and look at the page. 
Frustration: 1) not landing on the indicated post; and it takes awhile to find the indicated post.
2) To see the comment # I have to hover over the 1st and 2nd ways you pointed out or the Like button, but because the link is so long the browser shows part of the link, and then a second later the full link (where the comment # is).

badhaggis and car54 reacted to a post in a topic Shannon Beador: Magic Crystals and Nine Lemons
https://forums.previously.tv/topic/4989-shannon-beador-magic-crystals-and-nine-lemons/?page=38&tab=comments#comment-5061201

Result: takes me to comment    5060482
    apparently the link is for my comment but mine is several down and off the bottom of screen

....reacted to a post
https://forums.previously.tv/topic/90696-s06e17-reunion/?do=findComment&comment=5061162

initially was not taking me to the right comment, but pasting link into new tab...is ok now

Not end of world:
CaptainCranky, smores, dleighg and 1 other commented on Million Dollar Listing LA 
https://forums.previously.tv/topic/90002-million-dollar-listing-la/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-5064157

Result: lands on my comment but the link is the comment below mine

Surrealist reacted to a post in a topic Million Dollar Listing LA 
https://forums.previously.tv/topic/90002-million-dollar-listing-la/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-5046667

I opened it in a new tab from Notifications window, and was not on the proper comment; refreshed the page 3 times it landed me all out of the place, and it was taking me a long time to hover over links and find 5046667
    Then I pasted the link in a new tab and it did take me to the right comment.  Did this action again, and it was okay.
    Theory: maybe starting in the Notification area is the problem.

STILL Requested: if the comment # eg 5046667 was just visibly displayed maybe under the date or near the 'share this link' icon life would be easier. I could find the post in just 1 second.

Thanks for thinking of ways to correct this or make it easier to navigate

ETA: I "removed link" from all urls above, and in the edit window they look ok, but when saved the system puts the hyperlink in instead on some.

Edited by MajorNelson

The yellow-lined post (line on top) is what the anchor goes to. If that’s the right post but it’s off-screen then it’s that issue with embeds/pictures/etc probably. If the URL of the link you came from (on the Notifications) and the timestamp URL of the yellow-lined post have the same comment # then it’s one of — or combo of — *a slow connection loading pictures in late or embedded content from 3rd parties (Twitter, etc) loading in late and pushing the anchored post off-screen.
The 4.4 update of the core software (soonish) helps this somewhat by not loading pics and embed until they are on the screen (aka lazy loading).

*This would account for it happening intermittently - @possibilities

• Love 1

Thanks for the explanation......and today, every notification I opened went to the proper comment.

And that is so funny, you mention a yellow line, but I had never noticed that at all before.  And that is very handy, far faster, to look for.  Thank you!

Still, I am an advocate of making the comment # visible.  Note, I do not have any idea if when you prune if the comment #'s change, but if they don't, I think it would be an improvement.  Assuming they stay the same, the additional "pro' argument for displaying it is it allows more, and more streamlined, discussion.  Thank you.

Edited by MajorNelson
  • Love 2

I didn't notice the yellow line before, either! Cool!

I have a satellite connection (my only option here in the sticks other than dial up), and the ping tends to be slow even when the rest of the process is fast. So the slow connection explanation makes some sense, I guess. It wasn't a problem before the upgrade, which is why it struck me as a bug.

Thanks for looking in to it.

• Love 1