Type keyword(s) to search

Dishing With Diane: Twin Peaks Media Thread

on 25yearslater.com  at https://25yearslatersite.com/2017/09/05/well-that-was-predictable-the-incredible-ending-of-the-return/

which is a good article, in the comment section, someone placed this link and it is perfect.

this is a short, award winning movie called 'the door of the Law'. It's based on a story of Kafka's. It's worth watching in any case but it is exactly what is evoked by episode 18. Lynch seems to like Kafka, this may be intentional.

Edited by Affogato
  • Love 1
On 9/8/2017 at 1:48 PM, dwmckim said:

Excellent take on the finale (probably the best i've read) and given extra credibility given how other various scenes have been discovered to sync up perfectly - gives another layer of meaning to the show's title of "Twin Peaks"

https://medium.com/@onantiad/episodes-17-18-of-twin-peaks-the-return-are-meant-to-be-watched-in-sync-81352ce38e8

This is amazing. It fits with a lot of my own theories and then takes it to a level I can't even comprehend because my brain is so small lol Well worth a read! 

Sabrina Sutherland (producer) AMA. She can't say a lot, but she does imply there will be some good features on the Blu-Ray (hopefully deleted scenes...), that they never intended to bring Annie back, and that they wanted to bring Michael Ontkean and Michael J Anderson back but the actors declined. She says bringing Donna back didn't work out (which makes me wonder if the story claiming Lara Flynn Boyle declined a return is true). She also says the episodes aren't meant to be watched in sync.

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6zb65w/im_sabrina_sutherland_executive_producer_of_twin/

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Sabrina Sutherland (producer) AMA. She can't say a lot, but she does imply there will be some good features on the Blu-Ray (hopefully deleted scenes...), that they never intended to bring Annie back, and that they wanted to bring Michael Ontkean and Michael J Anderson back but the actors declined. She says bringing Donna back didn't work out (which makes me wonder if the story claiming Lara Flynn Boyle declined a return is true). She also says the episodes aren't meant to be watched in sync.

https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comments/6zb65w/im_sabrina_sutherland_executive_producer_of_twin/

In sync with what?

thats pretty much what I thought. Theories are great, art is mysterious. :-)

Edited by Affogato
11 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

...that they wanted to bring Michael Ontkean and Michael J Anderson back but the actors declined.

Curious as to why Ontkean declined.  Anyone know? 

I haven't seen him in anything in years (since original TP, come to think of it).  While I loved Robert Forster, it would have been very satisfying to see Ontkean reprise his role--in whatever completely unsatisfying way Lynch might have brought him back...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Penman61 said:

Curious as to why Ontkean declined.  Anyone know? 

I haven't seen him in anything in years (since original TP, come to think of it).  While I loved Robert Forster, it would have been very satisfying to see Ontkean reprise his role--in whatever completely unsatisfying way Lynch might have brought him back...

In the Sabrina Sutherland interview she said he lives in Hawaii, didn't want to film in washington, which is cold and aggravates his respiration issues, which she didn't specify. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

Ontkean was in The Descendents with George Clooney and also Matthew Lillard-- in 2011 (which was filmed in Hawaii) and he still looked good.

michael-ontkean-milo-descendants.jpg

Huh. I meant to see that movie and never made it, perhaps I will look around for it.

3 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Ontkean was in The Descendents with George Clooney and also Matthew Lillard-- in 2011 (which was filmed in Hawaii) and he still looked good.

michael-ontkean-milo-descendants.jpg

Goodness, yes, Ontkean indeed looks good there.  I do hope Ontkean's impediments were simply logistical and there weren't bad feelings.  He was missed. 

• Love 1

Vulture talks to Mary Reber, the real-life owner of the Palmer house who appeared in the final scene as Alice Tremond.

Lynch talks to Pitchfork about music, Bowie and Jeffries.

Pitchfork: After making a cameo in 1992’s Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, David Bowie’s character Phillip Jeffries reappeared in the new series via footage from that film and as a big, talking tea kettle. Did you ever approach Bowie himself to be in the new series?

David Lynch: Absolutely. I never even talked to him, but I talked to his lawyer, and they weren’t telling me why he said he couldn’t do it. But then, of course, later on we knew.

Why did Phillip Jeffries take the form of a tea kettle?

I sculpted that part of the machine that has that tea kettle spout thing, but I wish I’d just made it straight, because everybody thinks it’s a tea kettle. It’s just a machine.

Did Bowie know that his character was going to appear in that capacity?

No, no, no. He didn’t know that. We got permission to use the old footage, but he didn’t want his voice used in it. I think someone must have made him feel bad about his Louisiana accent in Fire Walk With Me, but I think it’s so beautiful. He wanted to have it done by a legitimate actor from Louisiana, so that’s what we had to do. The guy [voice actor Nathan Frizzell] did a great job.

More at the link.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2017 at 2:45 PM, Pete Martell said:

Kyle, James Corden, and Judi Dench in the Red Room. Somehow this feels much more like the actual Red Room vibe than most of the talk show parodies I see that just have the music and wacky dancing. 

Seizure warning.

Yes it is convincing as an elaborate prank ( or is it? ) situation. It occurs to me, too, that the design would make disturbing bathroom decor. I would do it. Hi, happy Halloween. The bathroom is down the hall. The teapot and I will be in the living room. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, IDFfm0870 said:

An interesting interview from 2012 with the actor who portrayed biker Joey in the pilot and season 1.

https://braddstudios.com/2012/08/20/brett-vadset/

Good write-up.  I always felt the character of Joey was drastically underutilized.  It kept seeming like Lynch and Frost had expectations for the character to play much more of a key role in the series; Joey was who James trusted to transport Donna to him safely AND stealthily from the Roadhouse, after all, plus Joey's inclusion in the Bookhouse Boys definitely seemed to portend further significant involvement.  Those expectations never came to fruition, though.

I always figured Joey's character simply got lost in the shuffle of the cast depth.

• Love 1
On 9/6/2017 at 7:45 AM, dwmckim said:

Calling it now:  If Twin Peaks continues in some screen form (be it season 4, film, etc.), Julee Cruise will be replaced by a cgi tuning fork or something.

Putting Julee aside, are there any news about bringing the series back to life?

Mark Frost did a Reddit AMA today. I'm just reading through now but it's pretty good. He explains a few things and doesn't explain a lot of things. I'd say there are a few spoilers for the latest book if you haven't read it. Definitely worth a read.

dOiCtzZ.png

I just tripped over my bluerays coming home tonight. Amazons preorder did not do good. I assume others had issues.

What a beautiful box with the divided image of the good/the bad/the dougie. 

Thats as far as I’ve got but I’m looking forward to the extras. So many extras. 

On 12/13/2017 at 10:19 PM, Affogato said:

I just tripped over my bluerays coming home tonight. Amazons preorder did not do good. I assume others had issues.

Yup. I had pre-ordered it once the date was announced and it was delivered only late last week -- apparently by someone who used to be a newspaper carrier as it appeared the package was flung from a car into my driveway. 

I'm pretty steamed the show itself was shut out of nominations for a Golden Globe. I hope that doesn't bode badly for KM winning. 

55 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

Yup. I had pre-ordered it once the date was announced and it was delivered only late last week -- apparently by someone who used to be a newspaper carrier as it appeared the package was flung from a car into my driveway. 

I'm pretty steamed the show itself was shut out of nominations for a Golden Globe. I hope that doesn't bode badly for KM winning. 

Yes it is too bad about the golden globes. 

Good thing it was blue rays and not crystal goblets!