Type keyword(s) to search

Dishing With Diane: Twin Peaks Media Thread

Make of this what you will. David Lynch & Mark Frost both tweeted identical messages today:

Dear Twitter Friends: That gum you like is going to come back in style! #damngoodcoffee

Naturally, everyone's theorizing about some sort of revival. I've always fantasized about them picking up after Cooper's been in the lodge for 25 years.

Of course, it might just be stealth marketing for some brand of gum.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 3

Interview with Frost. No details on returning cast, although I think we can all assume that MacLachlan will be back. Also interesting was Frost saying that he considers Fire Walk With Me canon. I interpret that as, "Hey, if Kiefer Sutherland or David Bowie are interested in coming back, we'll take them."

ETA: Turns out Frost went on a bit of an interview tour today. Here are some other ones I could find:

Deadline

Hollywood Reporter

Buzzfeed

LA Times

Hitfix

There are probably more.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 1

I love those covers, too. But what strikes me most is how old and dusty everyone looks. Oh yeah, it's been 25 years and I'm old and dusty, too -- but Lynch was always so careful to present his female leads as otherworldly beauties. I'm shocked that, of all of them, Peggy Lipton still looks like a million bucks -- she was the oldest of them all when it first aired.  Maybe it's the super harsh lighting. I don't know. I just remember everyone in that show, men included (except for James who I hated), being so sickeningly gorgeous. 

EW also has a shot of Duchovny reprising his role as Denise

I can't wait! (Even though I'm rematching S2 right now and oh boy, what a bunch of stinker plots they had during that season I had forgotten all about.)

Edited by Guest
19 minutes ago, Giant Misfit said:

I love those covers, too. But what strikes me most is how old and dusty everyone looks. Oh yeah, it's been 25 years and I'm old and dusty, too -- but Lynch was always so careful to present his female leads as otherworldly beauties. I'm shocked that, of all of them, Peggy Lipton still looks like a million bucks -- she was the oldest of them all when it first aired.  Maybe it's the super harsh lighting. I don't know. I just remember everyone in that show, men included (except for James who I hated), being so sickeningly gorgeous. 

EW also has a shot of Duchovny reprising his role as Denise

I can't wait! (Even though I'm rematching S2 right now and oh boy, what a bunch of stinker plots they had during that season I had forgotten all about.)

Moreso than the covers, even - did you catch the video clip at the top of the article?

49 minutes ago, Nashville said:

did you catch the video clip at the top of the article?

I did! Peggy Lipton looked better on film than on the cover. :(  And I hated Kyle's hair color and baggy suit. But I was still thrilled beyond belief to see them back in character again.

As a subscriber to EW I received the cover with Lynch and the cast members. All the covers are great but since Kyle MacLachlan was also on the cover that was the one I hoped to get. It was great to too Twin Peaks in my mailbox. 

Dana Ashbrook on his episode 4 scenes.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/twin-peaks-dana-ashbrook-bobby-briggs-interview-1008307

Madeline Zima talks about her appearance, Hollywood, Lynch, etc.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/05/madeline-zima-twin-peaks-revival.html

Kyle Maclachlan on playing "bad" Cooper and filming the Black Lodge stuff and coming back to the show.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/29/twin-peaks-kyle-maclachlan-dirty-cooper/

(edited)
2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

This is several years old but bringing it back for the new show. I got poor Maddy. I hope you have better luck...

I got Laura. So, all things considered, no better luck.

ETA: 

Speaking of Laura Palmer, EW has a good interview with David Lynch who drops a little hint (to me at least) as to the possibility of Laura returning to the show. 

Edited by Guest

I think she's definitely going to play a key role, for a variety of reasons. Number one being Lynch is obsessed with her/Sheryl Lee, and Laura herself was shown to be forcibly ejected from the Red Room followed by Leland asking Coop to find her. I think she's out in the world, same as Cooper/Dougie.

• Love 1
On 5/31/2017 at 0:44 PM, Giant Misfit said:

EW has a good interview with David Lynch who drops a little hint (to me at least) as to the possibility of Laura returning to the show. 

That entire interview is excellent - definitely worth a read.

• Love 1
(edited)

Vulture published an interview with Kimmy Robertson. This exchange about Michael Ontkean struck me as odd:

What exactly did David tell you in regards to Michael not returning?
I can’t say what I heard. I heard something, but I can’t say it.

The general consensus is that he just retired from acting and didn’t want to come back.
That’s one of the things that I heard, yes. That’s the one I’m allowed to say. All the other ones, the rumors, could be hearsay. I don’t know, I really don’t. I would talk to you about it, but I have no way of getting a hold of him so I can’t call him and see.

Ontkean's not returning to the series was pinned on his retirement from acting -- I never heard anything different. I wonder if there was a falling out with Lynch? Illness? Or, maybe, he's really coming back and it was kept a secret? (I know - that's just a delusion.)

ETA: Well, I did find this from someone who had spoken to him:

So, I have a few things to say about the news of Michael Ontkean not returning to Twin Peaks: I spoke with Michael a handful of times this year on the phone. He was really excited to return as Truman, and even spent hundreds of hours in search of his old jacket, and finally reached out to me to help find it. We found a suitable replica. I bought it and sent it to him. We last spoke in August and he informed me he wasn’t going to Washington after all. I told him I was heartbroken to hear that.

Aside from being heartbroken, I am puzzled. Twin Peaks is not Twin Peaks without Michael Ontkean as Sheriff Harry S. Truman.

That gives me a case of the sads. Twin Peaks needs Harry Truman.

Edited by Guest

I'm familiar with both of those statements. The only conclusion I have is that it's sadly illness - and there is rumbling that he'd like to be involved if the show should continue.

• Love 1

Madchen Amick on coming back, getting emotional in the diner set, and Amanda Seyfreid as her daughter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/twin-peaks-madchen-amick-casting-amanda-seyfried-1010958

Chrysta Bell (you have to pay to read it all - probably not really anything worth that, just posting the link anyway)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/chrysta-bell-twin-peaks-david-lynchs-male-gaze-time-accosted/

Dana Ashbrook.

http://collider.com/twin-peaks-season-3-dana-ashbrook-interview/

• Love 1
On 6/14/2017 at 5:37 PM, peachmangosteen said:

Just that screen shot of Bob on that vid terrifies me.

No joke, I literally gasped when I saw that. I love the story about how he came to be BOB on our show, David Lynch is just a master of all things production: casting, directing, writing, editing, everything. What a great, terrifying addition BOB & the actor who played him, God rest his soul, were to an already great show & cast.

• Love 2

I loved the episode. I watched it twice last night and love it more the more I think about it. I'd long commented that episode 29 of the original series was the most bizarre hour of television ever made, and it's only fitting that an episode of the new series would overtake it.

I definitely understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea. But there are those saying Showtime shouldn't have allowed Lynch to make an episode like this. I couldn't more vehemently disagree with that opinion. I'm willing to deal with art I don't care for if it means artists have more creative freedom. The anger of the people who think this episode shouldn't be allowed to exist is delightful. Almost nothing like this is ever created and they are angry that this miraculously came to fruition? Again you don't need to like it, but if artists having creative freedom pisses you off you deserve to be angry. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, PatternRec said:

Does anyone know if Lynch still shoots only on film, or does he use digital these days? 

Wouldn't be surprised one bit if it's a mixture of both, but I think the main portion these days is digital.

Brief comment from Trent Reznor.

https://www.alternativenation.net/trent-reznor-reveals-twin-peaks-nine-inch-nails-greatest-tv-episode-ever/

Matthew Lillard interview.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/07/twin-peaks-matthew-lillard-interview

An article asking why Twin Peaks is like a '90s point and click game (I have had this same question from the getgo although it was more Phantasmagoria than Myst...). 

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/11/15951948/twin-peaks-adventure-games-myst

On 6/30/2017 at 10:33 AM, Nashville said:

Wouldn't be surprised one bit if it's a mixture of both, but I think the main portion these days is digital.

I don't have any recent information but I remember when Mulholland Drive came out he filmed it on digital and said he would never do film again because he loved the qualities of digital (not a quote but plasticity, quick turn around).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Affogato said:

I don't have any recent information but I remember when Mulholland Drive came out he filmed it on digital and said he would never do film again because he loved the qualities of digital (not a quote but plasticity, quick turn around).

Sounds right.  :)   The reason I left a little wiggle room for film use, though, is because Lynch is the absolute stickler to beat all sticklers when it comes to having a set / scene / effect JUUUUUUST RIGHT.  Hell, one of the reasons for Dune's delays and cost overruns was Lynch keeping the entire cast and crew standing around waiting  (sometimes for hours) while Lynch personally did things like take cans of spray paint and rework the shadings of "rocks" on the set until they were, in his estimation, perfect - for a set which might be used once in a 30-second scene, then discarded.  This "sticklerism" (is that even a word?) is relevant because effect and atmosphere tricks exist for both film and digital which are unique to their medium, and Lynch knows every one of them.  

So - much as Lynch may prefer the immediacy of digital - if Lynch wants an effect which in his estimation comes across as far superior in film than to its digital correlative, you better bet he's doing the original capture on film and figuring out a suitable transfer to digital later.