Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Now Am Found

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Didn't we get "1980" or "1990" or "2015" flashed across the screen for the other times?
Or were they just (at least) mentioned by the characters?

I think all time indications were in the dialogue, not onscreen titles.

I knew that 2015 nun looked familiar but did not identify her as Julie's 1990 friend.

• Love 1

I assumed from the book scene that he may well have read the book before BUT having met "mike" the day before and seen the little girl, it sparked off more thoughts in his heads, whereas before it was just a throwaway sentence.

Wayne admitted to Roland he'd never read the book before/while Amelia was alive. He also never knew about Amelia and Lucy's "children shud laugh" conversation until reading it in 2015. 

• Useful 3

The creator of this show seems to have an obsession with men who mow lawns.

So that little boy was the man they ran into, at the convent, with the little girl. I figured that Julie was still alive. 

Aside from the excellent acting, I didn't really need to watch this. Several people had it all figured out, including the little boy knowing something (although as an adult, not a kid), the daughter of the rich guy wanting her as her own daughter, and her dad covering it up - paying off the real mother, too. 

Finally watched the new season. I liked it a lot, definitely close to the first. I never did watch the second, with all the bad things you read about it.

Ali and Dorff were fantastic throughout, and the show had a satisfactory conclusion. My only complaint was that the finale had a bit too much narration of characters explaining what happened.

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:13 AM, Cardie said:

I think all time indications were in the dialogue, not onscreen titles.

Haircuts were the most reliable indicator of what time period a given scene was set.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2019 at 11:00 AM, TheRabbi said:

Finally watched the new season. I liked it a lot, definitely close to the first. I never did watch the second, with all the bad things you read about it.

Ali and Dorff were fantastic throughout, and the show had a satisfactory conclusion. My only complaint was that the finale had a bit too much narration of characters explaining what happened.

I binged the entire series and I loved it.  The first season IMO was a mess because of all the red herrings.  This one had a "Gone Baby Gone" feel to it.  

I liked that this series was about the mind.  Wayne's mind destroyed by dementia, Isabel's mind destroyed by grief, the one eyed man's mind destroyed by guilt.  And Wayne really did see that car.  

We never found out how Amelia died, but I guess that had nothing to do with the story.  

I thought the documentary filmmaker was sort of a "wink, wink" to people today who think everything is some big conspiracy, those of us who have watched too many Lifetime movies.  

I also liked Wayne and Amelia's relationship, messed up as it was sometimes.  It's so rare seeing a male man/woman relationship on TV/movies.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

Finally finished binging.

For those who were suspicious of Roland being involved, didn't Hays have the short scene ordering a check on all Roland's credit card use, phone records etc.?  Maybe that was one way they had been thinking of going with the story.  It kind of seemed like they were going that way with some conversations with the former prosecutor or whoever that higher up was that gave the little speech to Hays when he got brought back in to work the case in 1990.  Seemed to be some conversations throughout the series that someone was covering up.  So maybe Roland being involved would have been part of that storyline.  But by the end, the only covering up seemed to be coming from Hoyt and his crew.  I wondered if they changed their original story along the way because they couldn't get it to work?

The sad story of Julie's death backed up by the headstone date only works before the date on the headstone has passed.  If the fingerprints had turned up after they would know that was a lie.

Two things really bugged me.

The fact that all these people were killed to protect a crazy rich lady's fantasy, and I'm only half counting the collateral damages that Woodard inflicted due to being dragged into the story, are a lot harder to believe than if there was some kind of high level corruption the prosecutor and/or mayor, and some police were in on.

How long can you really keep a growing kid locked into a house without anybody knowing. What if she got sick etc.? Anyway, living in a dark house for all those years.  Seems like she would have turned crazy and she ended up seeming normal looking when Hays met her.

ETA that all that Elisa story seemed to go nowhere either.  She seemed to imply some type of coverup.  And to have evidence she would refer to.  But who she was going after never became clear. That was a lot of time spent on her parts that never seemed to matter in the end.

The other is, 1990 ends with Roland killing Harris, and both Roland/Harris burying the body etc.  There is no way that is not murder.  Harris could certainly be cleared by self defense of any attempts at saving himself.  That was a violent beating (which is always amazing how much people can take in tv life, including Roland after he was beat up in the bar including with bats, and doesn't look much worse for wear when he meets his first dog friend) which Hays and Roland would also have repercussions for especially considering the higher ups had already closed the case.  But murder, and hiding the body is much worse.  They never talk again, and this murder must eat at them all those years.  Yet Roland forgives all in 2015 and does a complete 180 to even going to stay over a few nights a week at Hays house.

And, I guess Hays and Roland weren't worried that all their digging could also uncover their covered up murder.  And they would go to jail.  All that risk just to find out where Julie ended up?   And, Roland never finds out where Julie ended up, since Hays "forgot".

If it wasn't for the good, interesting acting, I wouldn't have kept watching.  It wasn't for the storyline, that's for sure.

Edited by Magic
5 hours ago, Magic said:

Anyway, living in a dark house for all those years.  Seems like she would have turned crazy and she ended up seeming normal looking when Hays met her.

You'd think she'd have massive ptsd. I can't imagine she blacked the whole time out.

I didn't think S2 was nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be, and the main criticism was that it wasn't S1. So now, they try to make this season like S1 and just have the thinnest of plots and hope the acting will save the show. I hope the next season is completely different. 

• Useful 1
On 2/25/2019 at 5:43 PM, stormy weather said:

I respectfully disagree. I think what happened was that Amelia (and I know I'm in the minority here, but I didn't like her character very much) decided to write a book about a case her boyfriend/fiancé/husband was working on, regardless of how wrong that was, and he gave up his career to save hers, basically. This whole book thing was so messed up. I know they threw those couple of lines about it being a "conflict of interest" a couple episodes ago, but I still don't understand why Amelia wrote it other than for money, because if she really wanted to shed some light on the case, she would've shared more information with Wayne about what she had found. Instead it felt very one-sided, as in he was feeding her all sorts of information and whenever she found something he hadn't (talked to the girl at the convent, knew that Mike was particularly distraught when Julie disappeared etc.) she kept it for herself. It also didn't make any sense, like someone already pointed out, how Wayne never read Amelia's book. Why? Was it just out of spite?

The bolded part -- seemed like Wayne just wanted to talk about the case when he felt like unloading.  He shut Amelia down several times when she asked questions.  Also, she didn't know what he knew and what he didn't know. 

He said he didn't finish the book because he kept seeing his name in it.  He didn't want to see himself through Amelia's eyes, or to know what Amelia thought about their marriage. 

I binged the show in a couple days and my complaints are few, and unimportant.  The show brought Alzheimer's home to me.  No one close to me has had it (we die fairly young in my family).  That scene with Wayne standing in the road in the dark, looking at the fire in the distance -- he was so alone.  How utterly frightening, to be alone in your head, unable to connect. 

• Love 2

I'm late late but just hoping someone will tell me why, at the beginning, Roland kept insisting that Wayne owed him an apology?  Then Wayne cried and gave him one, not really knowing why. I did binge watch ALL seasons for the last week lol...but really did try to pay attention for what Ro thought had been done to him?