Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Risk and Reward

Trini
  • Start Topic

Shaun's blunt honesty with a distraught mother of a critically ill newborn baby causes the new chief of Surgery (Daniel Dae Kim) to question keeping him on as a resident.

Written by Liz Freidman and David Renaud, and directed by Freddie Highmore.

Airdate: Feb. 18, 2019

Looks as if Chin Ho (Kim) is going to be a real pain in the ass for everyone, but mostly Shaun.

(I wrote this before I saw the ending)

So, instead of a pain in the ass, he's just a DICK.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 9

Okay, I am a super shitty liar. Does that mean I wouldn't be allowed to work as a surgeon, if I'm neurotypical? The patient asked a question, Shaun answered it truthfully. He didn't assign blame to anyone, he didn't deliver the news in any accusatory way, he just gave facts. I cannot possibly see what he did wrong, ethically. I wouldn't even say that lying or dodging the question would have been more compassionate.

Honestly in the mother's place I think I'd be more comforted knowing there was a clear reason for my child's condition rather than never knowing and assuming that I'd caused it through genetics or negligence. They didn't say she was trying to get pregnant while she was on the drug, and she got off it as soon as she knew she was pregnant. There's no blame to be put on the mother, and the father has only the excuse of extreme stress to even hint at it. The couple reacting badly to that news wasn't something anyone could anticipate. I would have said it straight-out, I would think the parents deserve to know.

As for Shaun being forcibly transferred, Glassy GET HIM A LAWYER. I did like Glassman's storyline though, he needs to quit powering his lone way through cancer treatment. And I like the kid who was bugging him through the episode, Glassman needs to see other ways of dealing with a sucky situation. (Although I do appreciate the realism of how he's handling treatment -- my Dad went through light chemo after a pretty miraculous catch on a pancreatic tumor and he was an UTTER BITCH to live with for a year. He only let up on his "woe is me" somewhat after he sent me into a storm of hysterical tears and then said that his own mother died at him at least twice a day his entire life and not to take him so seriously.)

I laughed pretty hard at how quick Park and Morgan went at that file.

Edited by PinkRibbons
  • Love 18

Pathology took me off guard. As much as a pain as he was, Ho identified a department that Shaun could really succeed in. It really makes a lot of sense. Shaun may become a great surgeon but he may also become a world famous Pathologist.

Edited by juno
error
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, juno said:

Pathology took me off guard. As much as a pain as he was, Ho identified a department that Shaun could really succeed in. It really makes a lot of sense. Shaun may become a great surgeon but he may also become a world famous Pathologist.

Wait till next season...you know, that's going to be opened for discussion. 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, PinkRibbons said:

Honestly in the mother's place I think I'd be more comforted knowing there was a clear reason for my child's condition rather than never knowing and assuming that I'd caused it through genetics or negligence. They didn't say she was trying to get pregnant while she was on the drug, and she got off it as soon as she knew she was pregnant. There's no blame to be put on the mother, and the father has only the excuse of extreme stress to even hint at it. The couple reacting badly to that news wasn't something anyone could anticipate. I would have said it straight-out, I would think the parents deserve to know.

Agreed. This episode once again proved why I could never do this job-these sorts of conversations would be tough, and then having to do those kinds of surgeries, having to help people make such tough, horrible, no-win decisions...nope. Way too much pressure. 

That said, however, bless you, Shaun, for that last minute save of an idea, 'cause I was seriously about bawling at the thought of losing that baby. Still emotional, but yay for it ultimately being a happy kind of emotional in the end. Also, it was really nice to see him and Claire working together again, and I loved everything with Lim as well. 

The ending, though. The look on Shaun's face as he realized what was happening to him. The poor guy.  Very interested to see how this pans out, however. Han's tough as hell, but I think he'll be an intriguing character for Shaun and the others to play off of. 

I laughed pretty hard at how quick Park and Morgan went at that file.

Same. I'd be curious to know, too, not gonna lie. I can understand Melendez and the guy not wanting to know, though. 

Also happy to see Glassman and Shaun having breakfast together again! Been a while since that happened. That ending with Glassman hanging out with the other patients was nice. 

I really liked this episode. Intense in all kinds of ways, but it was good. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 15

Ever since the show premiered and I saw that Daniel Dae Kim was an executive producer, I figured it would only be a matter of time before he showed up on screen in some form.  And I see that it is as Dr. Han, the new Chief of Surgery. 

And.... he's a dick.  He's almost putting Andrews and Melendez's initial reactions to Shaun to shame.  I can buy that on some levels, he truly believe he is helping Shaun by transferring him to pathology, but the problem is that he's doing that after one case.  It would have been one thing if he had been watching Shaun for an entire month and was concerned.  Hell, it would have made more sense if he had somehow heard about him freaking out during the quarantine.  But he's basing all of this on one bad interaction with the parents that he more than made up for at the end?  Yeah, it seems like Han just has it out for Shaun, due to him being autistic.  Not a good look for him, to put it mildly.

I actually did think they would go through with the baby dying.  If nothing else, Han would certainly learn real quick what life is like on this show.  "Welcome to The Good Doctor, Han!  Now prepare to get emotionally wrecked!"

Melendez with the rich patient was a decent B-plot.  And I really want to know who won between Park and Reznick over the battle for that folder!

Glassman finding potential friends with a cancer group is some good movement forward for him, thankfully, and let him finally loosen up a bit.  Which means that is all going to come crashing down once either the lady or guy dies!

Freddie Highmore gets to direct his first episode for this show (he did "The Body" on Bates Motel.)  I thought he did good, and I love how he is branching out more and more.  His career is certainly in a good spot, but I really can see him going to even bigger places if he keeps this up.

• Love 11

I am glad to see another show having representation for young adults with cancer this season (The other? New Amsterdam) - this episode was good, but I think Dr. Daniel Dae-Kim wanting to transfer Shaun to Pathology wouldn't be instant, and it is probably a violation of the ADA, especially given him saying things about how Shaun is impaired due to his autism to multiple people, and in public places in front of multiple witnesses

• Love 6
1 hour ago, bros402 said:

I am glad to see another show having representation for young adults with cancer this season (The other? New Amsterdam) - this episode was good, but I think Dr. Daniel Dae-Kim wanting to transfer Shaun to Pathology wouldn't be instant, and it is probably a violation of the ADA, especially given him saying things about how Shaun is impaired due to his autism to multiple people, and in public places in front of multiple witnesses

It is a total obvious breach of the ADA as was his interview.  I'm glad he got to show his competency but, no, that's not how it works.  I'd sue the ass off the hospital for doing that.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, juno said:

But he doesn't want to be a Pathologist and autistic people are often held to a higher standard than neurotypicals.  He has been evaluated as competent from his superiors through 1.5 years of residency.  This is what autistic people go through every day.  It's as enraging as it is real.

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
10 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

The patient asked a question, Shaun answered it truthfully. He didn't assign blame to anyone, he didn't deliver the news in any accusatory way, he just gave facts. I cannot possibly see what he did wrong, ethically. I wouldn't even say that lying or dodging the question would have been more compassionate.

Yeah, I really dislike suggestions that the patient doesn't have the right to know.  Especially if I ask a direct question, I expect to be accorded the respect of being told the truth.  

Nice to see Dr. Glassman being a little more sociable.

• Love 16
45 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Can Melendez just throw away medical reports like that? He and the patient might not want to know, but it DOES have to go in the medical file! And do they even do paper reports anymore? Isn’t everything digitalized now?

Yeah, that whole scene was bogus. A sealed envelope delivered by a messenger???

Just for dramatic/comedic effect.

• Love 7

Two other things bothered me..

1. That Dr. Dick new Chief of Surgery was introduced in the middle of a surgery.  That is totally unrealistic.  In actuality, the President of the hospital would have had a meeting with the doctors and introduced Dr. Dick.

2.  That Dr. Dick didn't confirm with the President to move Shaun to pathology.  Like the posters above, there were no grounds to move Shaun.  Dr. Dick doesn't want to deal with someone who has ASD.  If it was that easy to move Shaun, Melendez would have done it in S1 instead of putting him on suction only.  

3. Not that I cared for story B about the guy who may or may not have cancer cells, but I agree with the posters above.  You don't go throwing out sensitive information in the trash like that.  First, the information would be sent digital.  Second, if that envelope got out and someone else opened it, due to privacy, Melendez would be in major hot water.  It would have been more believable if Melendez threw it in some to do pile on his desk and Park and Morgan ran after it. 

I can suspended my disbelief in alot of things (it's only tv) but comeon...

• Love 4

Maybe I'm weird, but if I ask my doctor a question I expect an honest answer. What good is it to me when he lies to me? If you don't want the answer to a medical question, maybe don't ask it? I'm a 100% with Shaun here. His superiors expeccting him to lie to the family is just stupid.

Also "can I hold her"?! Yeah that seems like a great idea just after we ripped out half her guts and plugged a few holes in her heart. I may only be versed in bird-doctoring, but that was the most ridiculous shit.

Also again a case where they wouldn't wake up a patient after circumstances had changed to ask him if that's still what he wanted. Let's just rip out this nerve cluster. It's fine. Not to mention that it seems unlikely that you can't biopsy, but cut out the whole thing. Then not reading the pathology report, seriously? It's nice that you think that you got it all, but if it was cancer he still has to undergo regular screenings to make sure it hadn't spread. This show is dumb.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Miles said:

Maybe I'm weird, but if I ask my doctor a question I expect an honest answer. What good is it to me when he lies to me? If you don't want the answer to a medical question, maybe don't ask it? I'm a 100% with Shaun here. His superiors expeccting him to lie to the family is just stupid.

I think there is a way to answer a question honestly without being so blunt. The expectation that Shaun lie is ridiculous but there is a more empathetic way to answer that question. Shaun just doesn't understand that. This is something he needs to work on but it's also not an excuse to dump Shaun from surgery. 

And the parents asked because they wanted reassurance. They felt helpless and out of control and guilty and they wanted to hear that they had done nothing wrong to create this situation. It's not logical but people aren't, especially in stressful situations. Part of being a doctor who is patient facing is understanding your patients and adapting your communication style to suit their needs.

• Love 5

The doctors said that the baby's stomach is too small to hold the intestines because the intestines were not inside. Instead of removing most of the baby's intestines, why not insert a V-shaped balloon in the stomach cavity to expand it and just leave the guts in the jar. One thing that babies do well is grow, I am sure in less than a week the baby's stomach will be large enough for all of the intestines to fit inside. I don't know why they were trying so hard to give the baby back to the parents.

I thought the parents would have been blaming the drug company, not the mother. 

• Useful 4

Pretty sure it's been said on the show before and pretty sure the majority of the world would agree - I'd much rather have a doctor save my life than have a precious bedside manner. Skill over charm any damned day. What a stupid reason to get him reassigned.

• Love 14
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

The look on Shaun's face as he realized what was happening to him. The poor guy. 

No one can play pitiful like Freddie Highmore.  See August Rush.

On a superficial note, the Asians seem to be into facial reconstruction surgery as much as Americans.  See BTS.    

No worries.  Shaun will be back in surgery  IMO.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, doctor destiny said:

But he doesn't want to be a Pathologist and autistic people are often held to a higher standard than neurotypicals.  He has been evaluated as competent from his superiors through 1.5 years of residency. 

That's exactly what I was thinking. Shaun has proven that he is valuable as a surgeon, not just for being smart (which is kind of what it seemed like Dr. Han was saying). If Shaun wasn't in surgery with Han, Lim, and Brown, the baby would have died. He's proven many times that he makes a difference in the OR. I get that this is just TV, but I was definitely frustrated with Han coming in and basically pulling Shaun off the surgical team after observing him for maybe 2-3 days. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Miles said:

Also "can I hold her"?! Yeah that seems like a great idea just after we ripped out half her guts and plugged a few holes in her heart. I may only be versed in bird-doctoring, but that was the most ridiculous shit.

Also again a case where they wouldn't wake up a patient after circumstances had changed to ask him if that's still what he wanted. Let's just rip out this nerve cluster. It's fine. Not to mention that it seems unlikely that you can't biopsy, but cut out the whole thing. Then not reading the pathology report, seriously? It's nice that you think that you got it all, but if it was cancer he still has to undergo regular screenings to make sure it hadn't spread. This show is dumb.

Ugh tell me about it - the baby just had major surgery on her heart of all places, but sure, let’s just wheel her out in the hall and let the mom hold her, no gloves, without washing her hands, etc.  Seems like a fabulous idea.  Skin to skin is important but so is germ prevention particularly after major surgery. 

In other news, I wanted to throat punch that asshole.   My daughter has ASD so I am pretty sensitive about it admittedly  - I fight for inclusion for her on a daily basis. He wants to move him to pathology so he doesn’t have to deal with patients but how the hell is he going to work on those skills if he doesn’t.  

• Love 7

Hello. Can someone help me? My DVR froze for a few seconds and I missed what happened at the end of one scene. Just after Melendez tells the rich patient they had cut out some of his nerves... The patient says "It doesn't matter, because {...}   "  That's the part I lost. What did he say and why did it piss Melendez off so much?

Thanks.

Transferring Shaun to pathology reminds me of the really bad doctor on Scrubs (name escapes me) who ended up transferring to the morgue and was very successful there :)

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, CJ70 said:

Hello. Can someone help me? My DVR froze for a few seconds and I missed what happened at the end of one scene. Just after Melendez tells the rich patient they had cut out some of his nerves... The patient says "It doesn't matter, because {...}   "  That's the part I lost. What did he say and why did it piss Melendez off so much?

"It doesn't matter, because you can't put the tumor back". I think it frustrated Melendez at first since he had to make a tough decision in surgery. I think by the end of the episode he agreed with the patient since he didn't even want to look at the pathology report.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, MVN-Hokies said:

"It doesn't matter, because you can't put the tumor back". I think it frustrated Melendez at first since he had to make a tough decision in surgery. I think by the end of the episode he agreed with the patient since he didn't even want to look at the pathology report.

Thank you so much. This is also what Melendez said at the end, isn't it?

• Love 1

Pretty nostalgic to see yet another actress from the Karate Kid movies. Of course we already have the actress who played Kumiko playing Allegra. Now we get to see Robyn Lively (though most people remember her from Teen Witch, a movie I have yet to see), whose character I felt so bad for due to her situation. I can't even begin to imagine the heartbreak, as well as the roller-coaster of highs and lows emotionally that come with giving birth to a child and then he/she possibly dying due to a defect.

Would it be too assuming to say that Shaun will still be on the surgical team by season's end? Shaun is never the type of person to just do what others think is best for him. You could tell he was not happy with the notion of being removed from the position that he has worked hard to fit with. Personally, I don't think Shaun would be challenged much in the pathology position.

I was in agreement with the young guy from Glassman's group the whole time. When you have an illness that threatens your life, you shouldn't rely on just yourself for support. In general, even for people who ARE healthy, you should never rely on only yourself for support. Everyone needs friends of some sort (but not fake friends like Kenny, because people like that only want to use people for stuff). Glassman even tried to push Shaun away until Shaun made it extremely adamant that he wasn't comfortable just leaving Glassman alone.

Shaun did what he said he wanted to do most in this position (when he was first hired): he saved a life! While things like this happen every day and the baby does die, to see it happen would have hit me hard.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CJ70 said:

Thank you so much. This is also what Melendez said at the end, isn't it?

You're welcome. Happy to help. Yes, that was Melendez's reasoning for not wanting to look at the pathology report.

Edited by MVN-Hokies
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Conops said:

Dr. Lim: Sir, the odds of successfully navigating through this surgery is approximately three-thousand-seven-hundred-twenty to one!
Dr. Han: Never tell me the odds!

I see what you did there!  😄

• Love 3

Okay, why in the world would a doctor tell a mother that paroxetine is safe during pregnancy?! Paroxetine is Paxil. A simple Google search would tell that mother that the doctor was lying. The drug company was sued because they lied to patients about the safety of the drug during pregnancy. It also listed under the medication warnings. 

Aside from being dumb, it was absolutely wrong. I would be furious if a doctor knew that my baby would potentially suffer and did not give me that information. The parents had every right to know what could happen to their child. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, greekmom said:

It would have been more believable if Melendez threw it in some to do pile on his desk and Park and Morgan ran after it. 

I doubt residents (or any decent person) would go after an unopened envelope on another person's desk.

I was expecting Melendez to feed it through the shredder. But for the comedic moment with Park and Morgan waste basket was the only option.

• Love 3

Reminds me so much of the first series and why I fell in love with it.  Yes it's the having to prove myself all over again trope but this time Shaun has lots of support showing how far he has affected the other characters.  This kind of stuff - having to reprove yourself, being held to a higher standard - happens to autistic people all the time.  It is physically painful when someone you love beyond life is underestimated (again).  Note, Han had done his homework (eg. with Melendez) and would have known Shaun was autistic - hence the deliberate use of distractive music and pretend surprise at the lack of Shaun getting the joke.  This is true prejudice - pre-judging, no doubt spurred on with by the investigation.  If you can say "well, we haven't fired a man with ASD, but taken him away from direct contact with patients so it can't happen again", in Han's mind - result!  I loved seeing the visuals again.   I guess they didn't do so many of them previously to re-remind us how splendid Shaun's mind really is.  The last scene was heart-breaking.  

I liked the cancer support story.  I looked up the drug and that is used for the type of glioma (GBM) that is often rapidly fatal and what Glassman thought he had after the second scan in the diagnostic process.  No wonder he had some trepidation but the lovely little encounter with Shaun "autism is a part of me" sealed the deal.  Fun to see Glassman reading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy too.

The secondary patient story was interesting too.  Melendez being forced to lower himself and the adult thoughtful nature of the doctor-patient interplay.  How informed consent should work.

I'm looking forward to the last three episodes with a mix of excitement and trepidation.  

• Love 4

Most of my comments have already been expressed by many of you, so I don't have much to add. I will say that one good thing about this development for Shaun is that maybe he'll get to be centered again.

Focusing on the other characters wasn't necessarily bad, but it seemed to be at the detriment of the lead.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, marcee said:

Pretty sure it's been said on the show before and pretty sure the majority of the world would agree - I'd much rather have a doctor save my life than have a precious bedside manner. Skill over charm any damned day. What a stupid reason to get him reassigned.

Ehhhhhhh, I've had a doctor with 0 bedside manner that was a genius - not worth it, he was a total a-hole. However, he had a very high opinion of himself, too, that might have contributed to it.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, bros402 said:

However, he had a very high opinion of himself, too, that might have contributed to it.

quoting you only because this reminded me of smt lol

I did like that little scene between Morgan, Park and Melendez, when Melendez described Han as a talented surgeon with a huge ego... lol

• Love 5
1 hour ago, vavera4ka said:

I did like that little scene between Morgan, Park and Melendez, when Melendez described Han as a talented surgeon with a huge ego... lol

Yes! Lol, even Melendez seemed to catch the irony right after he said it

• Love 4
3 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

That was hilarious! They were both looking at him like "...sure doesent sound like anyone we know..." and even Melendez realized that this was a pot calling the kettle black situation. 

So we meet the new doctor, and he...is a huge dickhead. I mean, I thought that Park and Melendez were assholes when we first met them, and they grew on me, and as characters, and even Morgan has gotten better, but not even any of them were as obviously prejudiced as this guy. 

I mean, Shaun probably would be a good pathologist, but that isnt at all what he wants to do, isnt what he has been doing, and doing well at, and the only reason he is now being forced to change specialties is because he has autism! That is literally the definition of discrimination! He saved that baby, if he hadn't been in surgery, the baby would have died, and he gets kicked out because he...answered a question honestly? To me, he said most of what he needed to say when he said that Shaun was here in surgery "because of some attempt at inclusion and diversity" like Shaun was just here because of some diversity quota, which is not only horribly offensive, its just straight up wrong. Shaun and Glassman had to fight tooth and nail to get Shaun into this program, and he has worked his ass off to stay here. Screw you, Dr. Dickhead. 

And, as others have already said, was what Shaun do really so horrible? Sure he could have maybe been a bit more gentle about telling the parents the truth, but they did ask him a direct question, was he supposed to lie? He didnt say it was her fault, nor did he start out by saying anything like that at all, he just told them the facts, and when they pressed, he told them the truth. Shaun doesent even have that bad of a bedside manner, he certainly does better than, say, a Doctor House style characters. Shaun isnt mean to people, he is just very blunt and struggles with having a filter. 

Speaking of, I loved how you can tell that Glassman was stating into a "grrrrr this kid" rant about the young cancer guy, and Shaun, totally not getting what Glassman was hoping to vent about, just said how the guy was smart, and that making friends with other people with cancer was a good thing for his recovery. I generally liked that whole plot, the conversation about how Shaun might have liked to have a few more people at the hospital with autism, and Glassman finally connecting with the other cancer patients. Thats probably going to be really good for him. 

I was really glad to see Claire and Shaun together again, and Shaun and Lim worked well together as well. Plus, its good that we are seeing Shaun take center stage again, and seeing how his autism affects his professional life, which we have kind of gotten away from. 

• Love 9
On 2/18/2019 at 10:31 PM, juno said:

I agree, in theory, but this transfer to the Pathology Department came out of left field and was totally unexpected for Shaun.  Perhaps the new Chief of Surgery should have taken little steps.  I felt so sorry for Shaun.

• Love 2

I agree with many of the comments around here. 

Ref. the honest response from Sean to the mother.  After talking with Sean for a little while, wouldn't you realize this is his demeanor?  Some doctors behave differently from others. To me, a patient should get that.   To me, it's not bad, it's just different. I mean, you can bother asking questions from various people who blow smoke up....., side step, struggle, don't know, etc., but, with Sean, you get the truth and accurate information.  That's a plus, imo.  If I were waiting around the hospital with a need to know situation, Sean would be who I would want to get info from.  

• Love 5
On 2/19/2019 at 12:33 PM, Miles said:

Yeah, that bugged me, too.  Totally not gonna happen!

• Love 8
On 2/19/2019 at 9:33 AM, Miles said:

Not to mention, the exchanged happened in a waiting room...NOT the ICU or baby's room...I was astounded to see seats and a garbage can...oh the germs exposed to the baby who is being transferred/living in a sealed container.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, umgoblue said:

Not to mention, the exchanged happened in a waiting room...NOT the ICU or baby's room...I was astounded to see seats and a garbage can...oh the germs exposed to the baby who is being transferred/living in a sealed container.

YUP. I spent the first 2 1/2 months of my life in the NICU and I know they should have been wearing gloves and gowns

• Love 6

Loved the episode. The final scene with Shaun and Dr. Han was heartbreaking. Pathology is great, if you're called to be a pathologist. I agree with Shaun--he's a surgical resident. A great surgical resident--who has things to improve, as all residents do.

One thing I didn't understand: why did Claire ask to scrub out of the surgery to go with Han to speak to the baby's parents? Was she trying to prove something to Han? Her actions seem to contradict another great episode when Melendez repeatedly asked her to go speak to parents/family members, and she finally spoke up and said that she would be more useful helping with the actual surgery.

Lastly, I fan-wank a lot of the medicine on this show, and I've accepted that Melendez is a world-renowned neurosurgeon/plastic surgeon/cardio-thoracic surgeon/orthopedic surgeon/etc., but why the hell was Lim performing complicated, specialized bowel surgery on a newborn? Isn't she a trauma surgeon? I did appreciate early on in the episode when she told the staff to page the neonatal cardiac surgeon. Aren't there other neonatal surgeons around? And who's been covering the ER these past two days?

• Love 4