Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: We Hold These Truths

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

After witnessing a pick-up truck plow through a street fair, Natalie and Maggie are forced to make some tough decisions on the fly. The doctors and nurses of Chicago Med find themselves on high alert with the influx of patients arriving in need of aid. Dr. Charles' ex-wife comes to town with news.

10 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I don't know the doctor's name who came out as gay, but I liked how he didn't act insulted or get indignant in his conversation with Choi.  

McNeal.

Edited by Chick2Chic
fixed something.
  • Love 4

I had the feeling that Maggie was going to have to pay for donating that kidney.

Hi, Paula Newsome!  Nice to see you again, I hope you stick around for a while.

Doesn't Charles have another daughter? I seem to remember a young girl pushing him in a wheelchair.

The cop dying was so unnecessary.

Will traded up and took the dog.

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I don't know the doctor's name who came out as gay, but I liked how he didn't act insulted or get indignant in his conversation with Choi.  

The expression on his face when he realized the patient was hitting on Choi was brilliant.

1 hour ago, Chick2Chic said:

Connor's reaction to Robin is yet another reason why his whatever with Ava was doomed from jump. Connor hugged Robin like he didn't want to let her go ever again.

And Ava got a strange light in her eye when she heard that Robin was back.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Yes, Dr. Charles did have a young daughter! I’m glad someone else mentioned this because I was beginning to think I had hallucinated this! Guess she has been retconned out of existence.

Yes, very difficult to find info on this, but he does have a much younger daughter. Her name is Anna.

• Love 3

I see Maggie forgot to drink the One Chicago Super Human tea, which heals characters  swiftly. I understand the mom's anger, but I'm glad she did the right thing in the end. Connor saw Robin and he forgot all about Ava. 

• Love 7
43 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I was glad to see that the dog found a home.

Older pets have a "ruff" (rough) time getting adopted.

To be honest, the older pets are easier to deal with, because they are past the puppy/kitten stage, so they are less likely to chew and claw the furniture.

Found a home??  With douchebag Will who doesn't even have a home, who is apartment hunting, who will now have to tell potential landlords that he has a dog, etc., etc., etc.   What could possibly go wrong??

• Love 5

I guess it's better than the shelter, but, I do worry about the dog.  (I realize it's a drama.)  I can't imagine a surgeon would have a lot of at home time to spend with a dog.  Hopefully, he can pay dog walkers, sitters, etc. to provide the dog with a life and not just sit in a crate 23 hours a day. ( Don't get me started on pet owners who don't have adequate time to devote to a pet.)  Off rant. lol 

I missed a little.  What's wrong with Dr. Charles' mother?

Someone mentioned Robyn recently, so, good to see her return. 

This episode was pretty good, though, I normally detest those with a disaster theme.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This episode was pretty good, though, I normally detest those with a disaster theme.  

I appreciated the ep cause it didn't really focus on the personal dramas / romances other than Robin's return + Connor and Ava's reactions to seeing her. The show has really been struggling this season when it comes to writing romance so it was nice to get a break from that. 

That said, I adored this moment as Connor looks happy and it's been a while since we've seen him look that way.

12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

She did. Ava is competitive and she knows Robin means a lot to Connor. This has the potential to get ugly, although I feel like even if Robin hadn't returned, Connor was done romantically with Ava. 

Edited by Chick2Chic
added something
  • Love 8

A theme of race relationships ran throughout this episode - the homicidal white supremacist, the brain dead daughter possibly donating her heart to a white recipient, all the racial complexities of Dr. Charles’ family. The medical stories seemed to take back place to that overriding theme. That said, I thought the episode's treatment of said theme was sufficiently nuanced and not overly self-righteous.

Connor seems to pair more naturally with Robyn on screen than with Ava. I don't know if Mekia Cox is a better actress than Norma Kuhling or if she just has a better written character or better onscreen chemistry with Colin Donnell. To watch them it seems like it's not much of a contest between the two women.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

She did. Ava is competitive and she knows Robin means a lot to Connor. This has the potential to get ugly, although I feel like even if Robin hadn't returned, Connor was done romantically with Ava. 

Yeah, I'm a little worried about Robin if Ava really is as possessive of Connor as the show is implying.

5 hours ago, preeya said:

Found a home??  With douchebag Will who doesn't even have a home, who is apartment hunting, who will now have to tell potential landlords that he has a dog, etc., etc., etc.   What could possibly go wrong??

Exactly. When he took the dog, I thought, "Dude, you are homeless yourself." I appreciate his kind gesture, but it's not the right time for him to become a pet owner.

So Maggie is out and about and looking great one week after having a kidney removed. Okay, show. I thought that we had fast forwarded by a few weeks or so until Natalie it had only been a week.

Edited by mrsbagnet
comments about Maggie
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, watcher1006 said:

A theme of race relationships ran throughout this episode - the homicidal white supremacist, the brain dead daughter possibly donating her heart to a white recipient, all the racial complexities of Dr. Charles’ family. The medical stories seemed to take back place to that overriding theme. That said, I thought the episode's treatment of said theme was sufficiently nuanced and not overly self-righteous.

I disagree. Making the driver a cartoon white guy is par for the course for the Chicago shows. The only surprise was that he wasn’t a cop.

This episode was as self-righteous as all get out. They could have done the episode with it simply being an accident and the Mom refusing to have her beloved daughter be cut up for parts. That would be an interesting dilemma and worthy of a drama. This blah episode is the usual cartoon with the preferred narrative.

Typical of the hack writing in Dick Wolf’s empire. The nonsensical frenzy of a nondescript procedural like “The Rookie” is more nuanced and believable than this tripe.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, watcher1006 said:

Connor seems to pair more naturally with Robyn on screen than with Ava. I don't know if Mekia Cox is a better actress than Norma Kuhling or if she just has a better written character or better onscreen chemistry with Colin Donnell. To watch them it seems like it's not much of a contest between the two women.

Part of that is how these two couples are written.  Connor and Ava are meant to be estranged and have been written that way for a while, so I would expect the actors to be cool toward each other instead of showing sparks.  Connor was always written to be very emotional about Ava, even or especially when she was having her delusions.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I had the feeling that Maggie was going to have to pay for donating that kidney.

Hi, Paula Newsome!  Nice to see you again, I hope you stick around for a while. 

Doesn't Charles have another daughter? I seem to remember a young girl pushing him in a wheelchair.

The cop dying was so unnecessary.

Will traded up and took the dog.

The expression on his face when he realized the patient was hitting on Choi was brilliant.

I noticed that also and thought Robin please watch your back around that crazy heffa.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, izabella said:

Part of that is how these two couples are written.  Connor and Ava are meant to be estranged and have been written that way for a while, so I would expect the actors to be cool toward each other instead of showing sparks.  Connor was always written to be very emotional about Ava, even or especially when she was having her delusions.

I feel that the Ava Bekker character worked best on this show as a strong minded professional competitor to Connor Rhodes. They could have developed her character further without introducing a romance between the two. Not every woman and man who are put together in the workplace develop romantic feelings between each other and it annoys me when TV shows make it seem that way.

1 hour ago, langford peel said:

I disagree. Making the driver a cartoon white guy is par for the course for the Chicago shows. The only surprise was that he wasn’t a cop.

This episode was as self-righteous as all get out. They could have done the episode with it simply being an accident and the Mom refusing to have her beloved daughter be cut up for parts. That would be an interesting dilemma and worthy of a drama. This blah episode is the usual cartoon with the preferred narrative.

Typical of the hack writing in Dick Wolf’s empire. The nonsensical frenzy of a nondescript procedural like “The Rookie” is more nuanced and believable than this tripe.

Well I understand your opinion. I note the coincidence that this episode should air this week as violence and race relations are very much in the news cycle with the Jussie Smollett business and the news that broke the very same day as the episode aired about the Coast Guard lieutenant who was planning a killing spree against liberal figures in government and the press.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, watcher1006 said:

I've seen Mekia in more things and Norma not in anything else so I'll refrain in answering about better actor but IMO Mekia definitely wins for better written character and better onscreen chemistry with Colin (and everyone else on the show) than Norma. I feel like the show has pushed Ava & Connor harder overall to work, even giving them a portmanteau they usually frequently on social media, despite the couple not really clicking in terms of chemistry or story. Who knows where it's going but I hope it's not a return DOA Rhekker. I would like for Robin to stick around long term, even if she's not with Connor.

1 hour ago, izabella said:

Connor and Ava are meant to be estranged and have been written that way for a while, so I would expect the actors to be cool toward each other instead of showing sparks. 

Did they ever show sparks? That's my thing. I am fine if they're estranged currently (and I hope it's permanent) but I would expect to see something more than what they give now... some sort of mutual longing or whatnot... as well as when things were good between them. That was part of why I could never enjoy Ava / Connor. I completely didn't buy that Connor was ever genuinely interested in Ava and Ava's character is one-dimensional when it comes to Connor. That they lack chemistry was just the cherry on top. 

51 minutes ago, watcher1006 said:

I feel that the Ava Bekker character worked best on this show as a strong minded professional competitor to Connor Rhodes. They could have developed her character further without introducing a romance between the two. Not every woman and man who are put together in the workplace develop romantic feelings between each other and it annoys me when TV shows make it seem that way.

This could've worked too. I was less irritated by her when it wasn't about the bad romance. I've pretty much not been a fan from jump regarding Ava but the romance with Connor has really not worked and I think actually hurt her. What does she have going for her other than this romance?

Edited by Chick2Chic
added something
  • Love 4

Dropping by to say to remember the board's "Be Civil" policy. Attitude is to be left at the door. We are all adults and I believe we can all agree/disagree without jabbing at each other.

So let's get back to focusing where the snark belongs: On the show and its characters.

• Love 1

For me the problem with the Connor/Ava relationship is that it started out with her doing a nasty to him, and then again, and then suddenly the show is trying to push them as a romantic couple.  There was never any explanation why Connor, whose tragic flaw was trying to save women, would be attracted to this tough woman who was treating him so badly.

Robyn needed saving, in a sense, but she was also warm and loving. Ava never was until she did whatever deal with Rhodes Sr. to get Connor his OR/ER and even that was to keep him in Chicago.  She also said that in his position she would have gone to the Mayo when he was waiting for her to tell him to stay for her sake.

• Love 5

The whole relationship between Becker and Conner is just another example of the poor writing on this show. They always go for the cliche. They are never original. 

They are doing the same thing with Halstead and Manning. Now she is going to be with the sad dad with the sick  baby. You could see that coming a mile away.

They just don't know how to right about male/female relationships at all. It is as though they had virgins writing about hot sex.

Wait a minute....?

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I wasn't paying attention to the scene with April and the racist driver who plowed into the crowd.  She and Choi looked at each other and he walked away.  Does anyone know what happened?  Did April interact with the driver? 

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Did April interact with the driver? 

She was there when he was hauled off to the prison hospital. The driver made a couple of racist remarks to her beginning with him not wanting to be treated by her cause she is Black and it went downhill from there.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chick2Chic said:

She was there when he was hauled off to the prison hospital. The driver made a couple of racist remarks to her beginning with him not wanting to be treated by her cause she is Black and it went downhill from there.

Ok, thanks.

For the first time, I didn't hate the show. I didn't hate Connor and I even liked April a tiny bit. Will can still go away.

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I wasn't paying attention to the scene with April and the racist driver who plowed into the crowd.  She and Choi looked at each other and he walked away.  Does anyone know what happened?  Did April interact with the driver? 

The racist murderer said he wanted the head nurse, she said she was the head nurse, then he said something like "so you are the bossy bitch" and she simple said "that's right". It was one of those moments when you just cheer and picture the asshole being silenced and fuming, unable to answer. I guess the exchange of looks was a way for the doctors to show support.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, alexvillage said:

12 hours ago, preeya said:

The dialogue went like this after he was told he's going to the prison hospital:

Racist: I want the head nurse.
April: I am the head nurse.

Racist: One of those bossy blacks, aren't you?
April: That's right.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, starri said:

I'm a real sucker for a decently-done organ donation plot, and this one was decently done.

Actually, this was pretty much the best episode we've had for a while.

Agreed. They even gave a shout out to a real organization

12 hours ago, starri said:

I'm a real sucker for a decently-done organ donation plot, and this one was decently done.

Actually, this was pretty much the best episode we've had for a while.

Especially given how ridiculously unrealistic the whole Maggie donation story has been.   I've been so enraged by it in the last two episodes I sort of wanted her to die (though I knew she wouldn't).  And I kind of usually like the character, except when she gets sanctimonious.

• Love 1
On 2/22/2019 at 6:18 AM, langford peel said:

I agree, It seems every week now on one of the Chicago shows and other non Dick Wolf shows we get some kind of lecture on racism. There was a part in the ep where the ugly manager of the hospital is chatting to the psychiatrist and she tells him that at some point everyone needs to get over it. Kind of ironic given it's brought up in everything now. 

I'd also love to see one of these grieving parents refuse to let their child be cut up for once too for spare parts. Surely it would be harassment the way the doctors etc keep coming at them. If I remember correctly the previous ep or a recent one had the same theme where they wanted to take the child's face!

Edited by Morlock

A poignant episode.   The little boy losing his father and then having the strength and courage to stand for his dad--walking through the gauntlet of policeman with an unwavering faith to be like his dad--made me tear up.   Dr. Charles visiting his mother - so much emotion in that scene showing her the granddaughter she missed out on for 35 years - wow, sad and heartwarming at the same time with a chance to forgive old grudges and embrace new beginnings.

Surprised Terry was gay and funny how Sebastian was hitting on Dr. Choi--and the embarrassment Choi felt.   Good bonding moment between Choi and Terry; glad it wasn't too awkward.

The racist truck driver - seemed odd they would transfer him to the police hospital ward but yet, the pedophile (even if statue of limitations had run out on Hank (?) could have also  been treated at the police hospital since it was evident no one wanted to provide him care.  Who knows, the pedophile could have molested others more recently.   Just thought they were similar situations treated differently.    Knew the mom would change her mind and donate daughter's organs.   Maggie and Manning - I realized Maggie had the transplant but really, it had only been a week?  She was being wheeled into surgery (FMLA doesn't typically approved within hours) and yet, one week later, she's just fine - amazing recovery!

Finally, happy to see Robyn returns although sadly it will be short lived.  Was it just I or did he seem really happy to see her - and that hug; seemed so genuine like he really had missed her, e.g., out of sight BUT NOT OUT OF MIND! - loved it!!  Since we know Robyn won't be returning permanently, I hope this doesn't "push" Conner back to Ava but I'm sure that's the direction the writers will go.   I despise this Rhekker relationship and wish Ava would just leave.

Glad there wasn't much of April or Manstead this week.  Yeah, very predictable, at least temporarily, that Natalie and the dad will have some type of relationship--no matter how brief--before she and Halstead get back together.

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 1
On 2/20/2019 at 9:12 PM, Chick2Chic said:

Connor's reaction to Robin is yet another reason why his whatever with Ava was doomed from jump. Connor hugged Robin like he didn't want to let her go ever again.

I thought this ep was fine. 

Amen to that - I thought the exact same thing.  He looked TRULY happy and content to be holding her!

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 3
On 2/21/2019 at 11:19 AM, Chick2Chic said:

I appreciated the ep cause it didn't really focus on the personal dramas / romances other than Robin's return + Connor and Ava's reactions to seeing her. The show has really been struggling this season when it comes to writing romance so it was nice to get a break from that. 

That said, I adored this moment as Connor looks happy and it's been a while since we've seen him look that way.

Thanks for the GIF - loved it!  And yes, I'm sure there will be some tension (straight out jealousy for Ava) toward Robyn but sadly, it will be brief as Robyn's return will be short lived.    I wish they writers would end this Rhekker relationship; it's horrible--unfeeling, uncaring, unromantic and plain boring.   ZERO CHEMISTRY made even more obvious with Robyn's return.  This was so natural!

• Love 3
On 2/21/2019 at 9:05 AM, spunky said:

I see Maggie forgot to drink the One Chicago Super Human tea, which heals characters  swiftly. I understand the mom's anger, but I'm glad she did the right thing in the end. Connor saw Robin and he forgot all about Ava. 

You hit the nail on the head there!!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, cathmed said:

The racist truck driver - seemed odd they would transfer him to the police hospital ward but yet, the pedophile (even if statue of limitations had run out on Hank (?) could have also  been treated at the police hospital since it was evident no one wanted to provide him care.  Who knows, the pedophile could have molested others more recently.   Just thought they were similar situations treated differently.

I didn't see them as similar situations.  The racist driver killed and injured people and there was no question that he did it.  The pedophile might have molested Hank but at that point there was no evidence of that, or that he molested anyone else.  Plus, he didn't kill anyone.  

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Morlock said:

I'd also love to see one of these grieving parents refuse to let their child be cut up for once too for spare parts. Surely it would be harassment the way the doctors etc keep coming at them. If I remember correctly the previous ep or a recent one had the same theme where they wanted to take the child's face!

The face transplant was on The Good Doctor. It enabled a girl who had been disfigured by surgery after an accident to have a normal life again.

The husband of a friend of mine had a double lung transplant just over a year ago. Without it, he possibly would have been dead by now and his sons without a father, so I'm going to have to disagree with you.

If anything happened to my child, the only light that I could see coming out of it is that it might help some other people live. In the horror of having my child die before I do, I would hold on to that thought desperately.  It's why  both of us are on the donor registry.

For me, the gold standard of TV organ donation was the scene from ER when Abby explained to the man's wife how each of the organs she was donating for him would help someone live or see. A powerful scene.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I agree with statsgirl about the organ donor issue.  And I don't think there was really any strong pressure to make the mother decide to donate her child's organs.  I think she was just persuaded to look at it as a way to keep part of her daughter alive.

My husband died in August and I was able to donate his eyes and that gave me some comfort.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

The face transplant was on The Good Doctor. It enabled a girl who had been disfigured by surgery after an accident to have a normal life again.

The husband of a friend of mine had a double lung transplant just over a year ago. Without it, he possibly would have been dead by now and his sons without a father, so I'm going to have to disagree with you.

If anything happened to my child, the only light that I could see coming out of it is that it might help some other people live. In the horror of having my child die before I do, I would hold on to that thought desperately.  It's why  both of us are on the donor registry.

For me, the gold standard of TV organ donation was the scene from ER when Abby explained to the man's wife how each of the organs she was donating for him would help someone live or see. A powerful scene.

Oops all these shows run with the same stories. 

I find it dull, I would like to see someone flat out refuse or does that mess with the PC agendas?

I am not an organ donor neither is anyone in my family and any doctor who would ask me especially at a time like that better have a team of cops behind them. I don't care who it might save they can nick off. 

55 minutes ago, cinsays said:

I agree with statsgirl about the organ donor issue.  And I don't think there was really any strong pressure to make the mother decide to donate her child's organs.  I think she was just persuaded to look at it as a way to keep part of her daughter alive.

My husband died in August and I was able to donate his eyes and that gave me some comfort.

No strong pressure?! Seriously every time one of these shows broaches the topic there is guilt trips and pressure. It would be great just once to see the parent tell them to go jump and then sue the hospital for emotional trauma. 

On 2/21/2019 at 4:06 PM, statsgirl said:

For me the problem with the Connor/Ava relationship is that it started out with her doing a nasty to him, and then again, and then suddenly the show is trying to push them as a romantic couple.  There was never any explanation why Connor, whose tragic flaw was trying to save women, would be attracted to this tough woman who was treating him so badly.

Robyn needed saving, in a sense, but she was also warm and loving. Ava never was until she did whatever deal with Rhodes Sr. to get Connor his OR/ER and even that was to keep him in Chicago.  She also said that in his position she would have gone to the Mayo when he was waiting for her to tell him to stay for her sake.

I liked Conner’s pairing with Julie Marie Berman’s character (don’t remember her name) in the first season.  Does anyone remember how her character was written off the show and/or why?  Thanks.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tinderbox said:

Does anyone remember how her character was written off the show and/or why? 

I liked her too. It was interesting to have a pairing where the female character outranked the man. Maybe that's why it was a short-term pairing?

Both she and Connor were competing for the prestigious fellowship with Dr. Downey (Gregg Henry's character).  Connor got it, so Sam found one at another hospital. It seemed like we were never quite sure which she put first, Connor or her career. They're kind of replaying that with Ava except Ava clearly told Connor that her career comes first. And then she slept (maybe) with his dad to keep him in town.

57 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I liked her too. It was interesting to have a pairing where the female character outranked the man. Maybe that's why it was a short-term pairing?

Both she and Connor were competing for the prestigious fellowship with Dr. Downey (Gregg Henry's character).  Connor got it, so Sam found one at another hospital. It seemed like we were never quite sure which she put first, Connor or her career. They're kind of replaying that with Ava except Ava clearly told Connor that her career comes first. And then she slept (maybe) with his dad to keep him in town.

Now, I remember.  Many thanks!

• Love 1
On 2/24/2019 at 1:49 AM, Morlock said:

I am not an organ donor neither is anyone in my family and any doctor who would ask me especially at a time like that better have a team of cops behind them. I don't care who it might save they can nick off. 

The doctors need to ask at a time like that because it's the only time they can recover an organ in good conditions. I can really understand how difficult and delicate it must be.

Of course no one can force you. But I hope neither you or any of your loved ones are ever in need of an organ transplant (or I trust you would do the logical thing and refuse a donated organ).

I apologize, this is probably going off-topic fast.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Sarnia said:

The doctors need to ask at a time like that because it's the only time they can recover an organ in good conditions. I can really understand how difficult and delicate it must be.

Of course no one can force you. But I hope neither you or any of your loved ones are ever in need of an organ transplant (or I trust you would do the logical thing and refuse a donated organ).

I apologize, this is probably going off-topic fast.

They can ask once, I guess although I find it to be very cruel. In these shows they start applying guilt trips and pressure. Why would I refuse an organ if someone else was willing to donate one? The world ain't a fair place Sarina. 

In North America, we have opt-in systems for organ donation, that you have to have signed that you want to donate your organs and even then your relatives have to give their permisson. Other countries have opt-out, meaning that it is assumed that you will donate unless you sign that you won't.

Because there so many people waiting for transplants, the two systems make a big difference in people not dying as they wait: 

For example, Germany, which uses an opt-in system, has an organ donation consent rate of 12% among its population, while Austria, a country with a very similar culture and economic development, but which uses an opt-out system, has a consent rate of 99.98%.

• Useful 1