Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Estimated Time of Departure

ottoDbusdriver
  • Start Topic

It is interesting how many people seem to hate watch this show. I have enjoyed it. At least they gave us something with the death timeline. Yeah, the shooting was a bit trite and I predict no one is dead, but overall I like the show and will miss it. There is almost nothing I watch anymore on Network TV, other than Dateline, so I was pleased to have made it through a whole season and still intend to watch next fall.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, chlban said:

It is interesting how many people seem to hate watch this show. I have enjoyed it. At least they gave us something with the death timeline. Yeah, the shooting was a bit trite and I predict no one is dead, but overall I like the show and will miss it. There is almost nothing I watch anymore on Network TV, other than Dateline, so I was pleased to have made it through a whole season and still intend to watch next fall.

I would characterize my viewing this season as "hope watching" as in hoping it would live up to its possibilities. It never quite got there for me, and I don't intend to watch in the fall, though who knows, I might give it a whirl to see if it improves.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I would characterize my viewing this season as "hope watching" as in hoping it would live up to its possibilities. It never quite got there for me, and I don't intend to watch in the fall, though who knows, I might give it a whirl to see if it improves.

That was how I felt through most of it. So much potential - so badly executed. ☺️ 

I could be persuaded to give it another go if word of mouth is better in S2.    

• Love 4
On 2/24/2019 at 5:20 AM, albinerhawk said:

I've been pregnant three times in the last five years and clearly recall knowing that I was pregnant at around two-three weeks after conception. Since typically you're not technically pregnant the first two weeks that the pregnancy starts counting, Grace can only be pregnant with Danny's child if she was fooling around after Ben came back. Of course, that would also imply that the writers know what they're talking about.

I do what to give props to the title of the episode.

That’s definitely not every woman’s experience though. Add in the stress she has been under she might have a gazillion things going on with her body. Not that I think her being pregnant and playing The Who’s the daddy card isn’t lazy and boring storytelling.

Ben knew that Saanvi was friends with the medical examiner, I doubt she would have mentioned that to him if he was the mysterious ex and given the casual way he mentioned it to Michaela I imagine it’s something that came up naturally.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

My problem with Grace announcing 6 weeks after Ben's return that she is "6 weeks pregnant" is that doctors and midwives would presume that this means the baby was conceived about 4 weeks ago, but when the writers wrote the line, I suspect that they intended the audience to think the baby was conceived 6 weeks ago. 

So, instead of wondering who's the daddy, I'm wondering if the next line on the subject will be something like, "I mean the baby was conceived 6 weeks ago; I'm 8 weeks pregnant," and not because the writers planned that to be the next line, but rather because they made a mistake.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

As with many mediocre scifi shows, I watched to see what it could have been. Plus to come here and snark with y'all. 

2 words: The Passage.  An intriguing concept, well done so far, with a GREAT relationship between the two leads (and a child star who can ACT!).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

My problem with Grace announcing 6 weeks after Ben's return that she is "6 weeks pregnant" is that doctors and midwives would presume that this means the baby was conceived about 4 weeks ago, but when the writers wrote the line, I suspect that they intended the audience to think the baby was conceived 6 weeks ago. 

So, instead of wondering who's the daddy, I'm wondering if the next line on the subject will be something like, "I mean the baby was conceived 6 weeks ago; I'm 8 weeks pregnant," and not because the writers planned that to be the next line, but rather because they made a mistake.

See this doesn't bother me at all - because I didn't care what the "official" time marker was for pregnancy - I knew when I conceived both times (not through miraculous knowledge - but both were planned and...tmi would follow, but I'll keep it out of this). So I always counted from the time I knew it happened. I know Grace didn't plan it - but I figure that like me, she'd count it from the time she's guessing she conceived, though the 6 weeks may be a fudge so Ben can think it's his and is near enough that an "early" birth would be unremarkable.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I knew when I conceived both times (not through miraculous knowledge - but both were planned . . . So I always counted from the time I knew it happened.

Sure. And in cases like yours, announcing you were however many weeks pregnant could mean from moment of conception. And even though not "planned," I too knew the moment when it happened after the pregnancy was confirmed (by missed you-know-what). 

It just bugs me that in a show where the passing of time is so key, that they went with a specific "6 weeks" without clarifying which of the two possible meanings was intended.

But now I'm willing to accept Grace's announcement line as-is if I find out that it was purposefully ambiguous rather than stupidly ambiguous.
I might even be able to accept a retcon of "on purpose" from "whoops" next season.

BTW, is there a next season for sure? I thought there was, but haven't heard or seen anything definitive.

Edited by shapeshifter
typo
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

BTW, is there a next season for sure? I thought there was, but haven't heard or seen anything definitive.

No, there hasn't been an announcement yet.  In one of the interviews with the showrunner linked here, he said he is optimistic about a renewal, but since it is produced by Warner Brothers and aired by NBC, it takes a little longer to work out the details than if it were a direct NBC property.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Here's a question -- will the 5 and a half year expiry time also apply to the pilot and doctor, if in fact they did time travel to the future ....  again .... in the dark lightning cloud ?

Or will the instance of time-traveling .... again ... reset their individual expiry time ?  If they ever re-appear.

An even bigger question, since the dark lightning doesn't require a plane for time-traveling -- what with Zeke in the blizzard in the cave, and Griffin in the van down in (by) the river -- shouldn't there be more incidents of time-traveling people on the ground ?

• Love 6

Not to mention the original occurrence would still be on people's minds when the plane lands, and the two occupants would be absolutely mobbed by everyone.  So maybe they have to die before either person can get their story out.

2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

shouldn't there be more incidents of time-traveling people on the ground ?

Welcome to Season 2, 3, and 4.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Orillia said:

What if someone on the plane was already pregnant . Does that mean she's been pregnant for over 5 years ? 

I don't think so because the passengers didn't age.

What if someone on the plane was already pregnant . . . Would it have any effect on the baby ? 

Star child status? Who knows? The writers might know.

What if someone on the plane was already pregnant . . . Is any of this even possible ?

In-show, anything is possible. Even if we were ever to be shown or told via character dialog what the "rules" are for these events, it doesn't mean that--just as IRL--unexpected results could not occur. 
But, so far, we have no account of what really happened.
IRL, none of this is possible. 😉

• Love 3
(edited)

828.... 8 ....blah , blah 42. 

People with expiration dates... women who couldn’t conceive. 

Planes missing 5 years.... planes crashing  because of  dueling brothers and time traveling nuclear nitwits. 

Passengers that might be dead... passengers that are in purgatory for their final season. 

Really, I allowed myself to get roped into this craziness again?  If these writers screw up the later seasons like the LOST writers did, ... 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1

The season finale turned out weak for me. About the fact that the characters from the plane will have to die, I guessed before they did. As soon as the criminal began to spew water, so the insight came to me ...
Well, now the passengers of flight 828 need to replay their destiny! Let's see how they do it!
And the intrigue with those from whom Ben's wife is pregnant, and who killed whom in Michaela’s room does not interest me.
But I think that the wife is pregnant by her husband, and there won't be any dead ...😎 Maybe someone hurt someone, but injure not kill him. Too important both characters.
And yes, now it seems to me that this is all happening not because of experiments on people. I think the outcome will be like in LOST. That is, everything will be connected with mysticism and divine powers ...

Edited by Friendly kitty
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 5:19 AM, green said:

And the "cliffhanger" season ending is stupid.  Only lousy shows written by lazy writers go out on season ending cliff hangers.  Watch Vikings on how to end a season right.  They don't need no stinking stupid silly cliffhanger crap.  Oh well I can use that lame ending to pretend Jerrod was written off the show I guess.

Worst ending ever!

• Love 1

i like the idea that the baby is Ben's - from a liason in Jamiaca and his swimmers just "skipped 5 years"

and its funny reading all this in 2023, whether the show would make it to June 2024, as the final Season 4b is showing June 23 (well unless its rescued AGAIN), i have not read ahead so there may be time jumps anyway to get the tv land to that place in the timeline (or it may, 3 years later, be completely forgotten by writers!)