Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: A Coburg Quartet

Kohola3
  • Start Topic

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:12 PM, Haleth said:

In the book I'm reading on Victoria there is one photograph of her smiling.  Apparently the kids tried to hide it from publication because they thought it was unbecoming to show a monarch smiling.

People rarely smiled in early pictures because they had to be unmoving.

But smiling wasn't habit in the paintings, either. Either people just didn't value smiling - or they had bad teeth.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:07 PM, Nolefan said:

he appears not to have strong feelings for her anymore

Maybe he was just tired?

At that time, couples weren't supposed to be madly in love after ten years of marriage and seven children. When Albert said that he would protect his wife and children, he fulfilled the husband's chief role, i.e. showed his love in deeds which matters more than words. 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:11 PM, Nolefan said:

At least a better life than she had in Germany.

There is one sure way to have a bad life: by thinking what might have been instead of concentrating to make one's life better or at least one's children's life better. 

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, Nolefan said:

And any faults Victoria has are glamorized. Most adults do not hit people and destroy things in fits of rage when they get angry. And people that do this have some serious anger management issues. Instead of showing Victoria’s anger management issues as an unattractive trait, the show always puts her violent outbursts in the context of Albert acting like a sexist pig. Victoria’s domestic violence is “justified” and even cheered about (PBS tweets about the “slap heard ‘round the world!”) Yes, women stand up and cheer for your feminist warrior! Albert’s real life statement of how he does not want to “get down on Victoria’s level” when she acts this way is twisted by the show writer as a dig about Albert viewing Victoria as a stupid woman, when the statement could have instead been depicted as a husband who is often physically assaulted by his wife telling his wife that he needs to walk away because he does not want his anger from the situation to escalate into him becoming violent against her. But, no, this is all about Albert the sexist pig, cruel husband who “deserves” what he gets from Victoria. Yeah, let’s all hate on Albert. As he stated this episode, “it’s a national pastime.”

Well said! 

• Love 1

I'm puzzled by Feodora's claim that the king was going to ask for her hand (in marriage), because Queen Victoria's predecessor was William IV (r. 1830-1837) and he was married -- happily and faithfully, by all accounts. He and his wife, Queen Adelaide, never produced an heir. His predecessor, King George IV, had a wife but they couldn't stand each other, had been living separately for years, and she died shortly after he acceded to the throne (1820). So apparently it is King George IV that Feodora is referring to. However, when he became king she would have been 13 years old. I suppose the idea that the 50+ king could marry a teenager was not too far fetched. OK, I guess I have answered my own question.

On 2/27/2019 at 1:56 AM, Brattinella said:
On 2/26/2019 at 9:30 PM, floridamom said:

I must have missed it...who sold the etchings?

Feo sold them.  She was paid with a sapphire tiara.

I don't think it was Feodora. I got the impression it was the printer himself.