Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
nodorothyparker

S09.E10: Omega

On 2/19/2019 at 10:32 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Seriously - a slingshot? Everyone has a shtick when it comes to weapons and this is definitely one of the things that's fine in a comic book, but looks stupid in live action. What's next? Someone who is lethal with a boomerang? Ninja throwing stars? A katar?

A baseball bat with nails that you name after your wife's name?  🙂

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

I have no clue how the Whisperers can talk to each other at all when they are in the middle of a herd. 

One of the many things about them that don't make sense. It's been well-established that Walkers are drawn to noise, any noise. Just just voices. I guess now we're supposed to accept that Walkers are whisper deaf?  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

The Ricksters haven't raided a nursing home yet.   Walkers using walkers, and walkers in wheelchairs would be a sight to see.  If TPTB ever go down that path, I can envision someone getting hit with a bed pan.

The Governor/Phillip/Bryan did during one of the two stand alone episodes it took to prove that yeah, still a dick even if he initially set out to do a good thing in scavenging an oxygen tank for Tara's dying father.  That would be the set of episodes that gave us Tara the clumsiest lesbian police academy recruit ever for those keeping score at home.  Without going back and rewatching because no, just no, I vaguely remember an old woman trying to give chase to him by padding along in her wheelchair behind him in what was a better idea for a set piece than it proved to be in execution.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

One of the many things about them that don't make sense. It's been well-established that Walkers are drawn to noise, any noise. Just just voices. I guess now we're supposed to accept that Walkers are whisper deaf?  

It never made sense. They are mindless shambling predators who just randomly attack anything that might be food... except each other? Or things that they think, with their shambling mindless brains, might be each other? If their allegedly nonexistent brains can be fooled by Season 1 cosplay, or for some temporary random reason by Wolf raves, then why not by using a creepy scary voice?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It’s been established walkers are drawn to sensory stimuli, true - but think about what qualifies as a stimulus. At the very minimum, it has to present as an aberration from the existing sensory baseline; its perceptive sensory qualities have to exceed its current environmental “background” thresholds by a degree sufficient to stand out.  A dim flashing light which would be an immediate attention-getter at night, for example, might not even be perceptible in the full light of day.  

The same sensory discrimination principle would apply to sound as well.  Walkers are surrounded by a sea of sound all the time - the rustling of their clothing as they walk, the sound of their footsteps (particularly when walking through the woods or areas of dense undergrowth), their own guttural snarls and hisses, etc.  - so a sound would have to be sufficiently loud and/or different enough for the walkers to react to it.  The whole Whisperer premise is based upon the notion their whispers are neither - loud enough to be picked up on by an ear actively listening for them, but not so loud as to constitute a stimulus response above and beyond the general background noise of a group of walkers.

All of which is kinda put to lie by the notion Eugene and Rosita could hear them from 20+ feet away, but hey - there ya go.  ;>

• Like 4

14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The other series which shall not be named already ruined that with Nick's antics.

I’m pissed off at these Whisperers too because there’s no way we are going to see the Kings Fair which I totally pictured as a Renaissance Fair in Ye Olde Kingdom. 

And what a stupid idea (writers) to leave two DEAF characters out in the dark.  They can’t hear the Walkers coming- or see them in the dark. Duh?!?

now that Tara is the de facto Leader of HT I bet she keeps asking herself What Would Jesus Do?  Sorry, couldn’t resist. 

So it looks our new conflict will be the Whisperers vs the Mumblers. (Led by Daryl and Michonne). 

• Like 4
  • Laugh 2

20 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

The Governor/Phillip/Bryan did during one of the two stand alone episodes it took to prove that yeah, still a dick even if he initially set out to do a good thing in scavenging an oxygen tank for Tara's dying father.  That would be the set of episodes that gave us Tara the clumsiest lesbian police academy recruit ever for those keeping score at home.  Without going back and rewatching because no, just no, I vaguely remember an old woman trying to give chase to him by padding along in her wheelchair behind him in what was a better idea for a set piece than it proved to be in execution.

You have a totally awesome memory, you are very fortunate.  I don't remember any of that taking place.  I have a lousy memory.  I do remember the Governor, he  was responsible for killing off Andrea.   Andrea another wasted character that i liked.

2 hours ago, Pixiebomb said:

I’m pissed off at these Whisperers too because there’s no way we are going to see the Kings Fair which I totally pictured as a Renaissance Fair in Ye Olde Kingdom. 

I don't think that was ever going to happen anyway.   It seems like the cast for each episode has been kept to a minimum, which annoys me to no end.   It is hard to develop any emotional attachment to characters that spend more time off screen, than on.

2 hours ago, Pixiebomb said:

And what a stupid idea (writers) to leave two DEAF characters out in the dark.  They can’t hear the Walkers coming- or see them in the dark. Duh?!?

They have something in common with many of the viewers of this episode.  I couldn't see what the hell was going on either.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Pixiebomb said:

Pretty sure there is only the ONE deaf person.

• Like 3

I like the idea about familiar stimulus not registering as much as new stimulus. I'll even accept that, if this is the case, speaking in snarly crypt-whispers might blend in well enough with zombie growls to work. But what about before the sound of others becomes familiar stimulus? Shouldn't a new Walker, that isn't used to anything yet, run around attacking other Walkers at first? Then when it figures out they taste like shit, it would stop responding that way. Which implies a little bit of learning ability. 

Unless maybe they have no sense of "my noise" versus "noise from others," etc... in which case a whole bunch of masses that smell and sound like their own sounds and smells would blend in with their... I can't actually say self, but the gist of this should be obvious enough in context.

About the fair: If we do not get to see Jerry jousting, Michonne and Carol joining a quilting bee and losing their atrocious wigs when all that extra gets irrevocably tangled up with the cloth, and /or Negan threatening to monologue everyone to death unless Daryl shoots an apple off Henry's head (accuracy optional!) then I am going to be very, very disappointed with all this buildup.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 3

10 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

or Negan threatening to monologue everyone to death

Or have a dick-measuring contest in a tent. "Step right up, you sorry shits! Lay those pitiful peters right on this table here! You pays your money, you takes your chances!"

• Like 3
  • Laugh 2

1 hour ago, AngelaHunter said:

Or have a dick-measuring contest in a tent. "Step right up, you sorry shits! Lay those pitiful peters right on this table here! You pays your money, you takes your chances!"

No "mushroom caps" allowed.

ETA:   They need to have a flashback  (sooner rather than later) to address what has happen to drive these communities apart.  If the writers wait much longer to fill in the blanks, I don't think many people will care what happened.

How many more episodes are they going to focus on Hilltop?  I can't remember the last time that there was footage of Alexandria or the Kingdom.

And what about Oceanside?  What is their role in this?  If any?

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

16 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

About the fair: If we do not get to see Jerry jousting, Michonne and Carol joining a quilting bee and losing their atrocious wigs when all that extra gets irrevocably tangled up with the cloth, and /or Negan threatening to monologue everyone to death unless Daryl shoots an apple off Henry's head (accuracy optional!) then I am going to be very, very disappointed with all this buildup.

Jousting Jerry?  That would be must-see television.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:59 AM, Macbeth said:

I also really liked the story about why Carol grew out her hair.

Am I too late?  Is anyone reading this thread?  I must have missed this particular dialogue.  Why is Carol growing out her hair?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Bridey said:

Am I too late?  Is anyone reading this thread?  I must have missed this particular dialogue.  Why is Carol growing out her hair?

I think it was because her abusive husband would grab her by the hair. He's long dead now, so she felt it was OK to grow it out. I guess zombies never try to grab someone by the hair.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

4 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

Carol kept her hair short due to her abusive husband's tendency to grab her by the hair to beat her when she kept it long.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gobi said:

guess zombies never try to grab someone by the hair.

No, silly, zombies do not commit spousal abuse.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4

On 2/18/2019 at 10:30 AM, mightysparrow said:

I don't know why they just don't hand Alpha's brat over and call it a day.  Hopefully they aren't going to keep Lydia around because she had a hard childhood.  Too bad, so sad, things are tough all over, kid. 

"No..., that's what they'll be expecting us to do!" Let's protect her til we lose someone much more valuable, then we can lock up Alpha under the watchful eyes of Henry (Phyfe), son of Barney.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

On 2/21/2019 at 11:14 AM, diebartdie said:

Man, now Im imagining a new, even more lethal group of antagonists....The Gothic Grannies with their knitting needles!

No need to imagine:

• Like 2
  • Laugh 4