Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E15: SuperShowerBabyBowl

Really, really you are throwing a Baby Shower on Super Bowl Sunday when you know both your grandfather and uncle are HUGE football fans? Really Alex? As for Claire, I wanted her to tell Dylan in the van: "Well, and you couldn't acting like you barely knew how to tie your shoe. So of course, I think you are an idiot." As for Haley, get over it girl and go buy maternity clothes. 

• Love 6

I feel like I'm hitting the same notes whenever this story is focused on, but:

Am I supposed to think these two are ready for parenthood after watching Dylan flounce out of the baby shower and Hayley spend the entire time pouting over her clothes and the effects this pregnancy is having on her body? 

Also, they're working way too hard to try to make me think Dylan = Phil. Phil's naive, but he's not stupid.

• Love 10
19 minutes ago, jmonique said:

Also, they're working way too hard to try to make me think Dylan = Phil. Phil's naive, but he's not stupid.

In this episode, Phil seemed flat-out mentally challenged. That reslly irritated me - Phil’s usually one of the characters the writers haven’t managed to ruin yet.

I’ve never commented on Rico Rodriguez’s acting before, but damn, that freakout was terribly, terribly done.

• Love 8

Alex is suppose to be the smart one and has a baby shower on Superbowl Sunday no one is that dumb.  And why would it be at Jay;s house anyway it isn't any bigger than the Dunphey house.

The Manny and Phil story-line was tedious.

Didn't laugh once.

Edited by marymon
  • Love 5

Alex said she cleared the date with Jay a month before so I don’t get why it’s Alex’a fault and no one else seemed to care so if he did that’s on Jay. It is entirely possible to not know when the Super Bowl is if you aren’t into football.

Given the crappiness of the game this year I bet some people wished they had other distractions than watching that boring ass game.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, readster said:

Really, really you are throwing a Baby Shower on Super Bowl Sunday when you know both your grandfather and uncle are HUGE football fans?

Alex is probably like the other 225 million Americans who don't care one hoot about mostly uneducated athletes slowly killing themselves with brain damage.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, marymon said:

Alex is suppose to be the smart one and has a baby shower on Superbowl Sunday no one is that dumb.  And why would it be at Jay house any was it isn't any bigger than the Dunphey house.

The Manny and Phil storyline was tedious.

Didn't laugh once.

That's what really just made no sense. why weren't they at the Dunphey House? This was a planned out shower for apparently weeks. Yes, I get that Alex could care less about sports just like Gloria or even Claire. But Come on! They act like they don't know Jay or Cam at this point in their lives.  As for Manny, dear God! That was just the worst acting Rico has ever done and Phil apparently was hit in the head with the door because he was acting extremely stupid. In fact, it looked like that Manny was going to finally get a clue that outside of Phil, no one cares about his crap and even Phil it has waned on. But oh no, Phil immediately enables Manny's crap.

I'm sorry, no matter what, the writers just retreading the same thing over and over and over and over again with Haley and Dylan. Haley is a hormonal mess and complaining about how being pregnant has ruined her looks, emotions, ect. Dylan keeps constantly doing something so dumb or reacting to things in such a stupid way. You CAN'T convince me he made it into let alone THROUGH nursing school. Even when Claire brought up his problems since day 1. It just screams how much Claire and Phil should have been: "Haley, seriously, he is a dumb ass, stop it. You are not going to like the way your life is going to turn out." Especially after he returned from his divorce, and learning that while his family kicked him out of the house, they made him the way he was because Dylan tried to be like them. Talk about just a pot of stupid ready for a Dylan to see a button that says:"Don't push and you will die." and then pushes it thinking it's a joke. 

Lily, Gloria? Seriously texting that stuff on a phone that is not yours. Also, what happened with Mitch and Cam saying they NEEDED to get Lilly her own phone? You just proved why she also needs it. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Alex said she cleared the date with Jay a month before so I don’t get why it’s Alex’a fault and no one else seemed to care so if he did that’s on Jay. It is entirely possible to not know when the Super Bowl is if you aren’t into football.

Given the crappiness of the game this year I bet some people wished they had other distractions than watching that boring ass game.

It was also showing Jay just doing his: "Whatever, go away" instead of hearing what Alex was saying. If Jay would have been paying attention he would have said: "Sorry Alex, that's Super Bowl Sunday and your Uncle Cam and I are making my famous chili." Because other wise, Jay would have left the house. What I don't get is, that Phil has been shown to enjoy football himself, not die hard fan, but has enjoys college football and his home team. He didn't go: "Oh, Alex, that's Super Bowl Sunday, not a good day to do that. Why not Saturday?" makes even less sense, but remember it has to be the plot to kick off WACKY HIJINKS! When it just showed how much the writers are just phoning it in now. Also showing why the Haley/Dylan twins story line is also major crap. 

• Love 3

The whole Jay and Cam storyline was a classic case of sitcom writers going to extraordinary lengths to come up with a plotline. Like two grown men wouldn't just be like:
"Hey, Cam, you still coming over so we can make chili? I'll leave a key under the mat so you don't wake up Gloria and Joe."

"I'll be there with bells on!"

No, instead they go out of their ways to NOT mention it, just to give these men something to do.

• Love 13

A few things didn't add up.

Mitchell came out of the closet 17 years after high school? Huh? That makes absolutely no sense - he adopted Lily less than 17 years after he was in high school. (I thought maybe the writers meant that he came out at age 17, but that doesn't make any sense with his backstory, either.)

It would have been really easy to write that joke in a way that actually worked. He could have said, "You're like me in pre-school - you won't be coming out for another twenty years."

And Dylan would have been a little kid when Mr. Rogers died. I'm guessing the writers didn't even bother googling how long he's been dead to see if the joke made any sense.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

It would have been really easy to write that joke in a way that actually worked. He could have said, "You're like me in pre-school - you won't be coming out for another twenty years."

And Dylan would have been a little kid when Mr. Rogers died. I'm guessing the writers didn't even bother googling how long he's been dead to see if the joke made any sense.

Double checking to make sure their jokes made sense? Nah. Another thing is, Dylan was born in the mid 90s so most likely even with his stupid parents, he would have BEEN watching Mr. Rogers more often by the time the show went off the air. Of course, it's also like with Haley not getting "real" maternity clothes because it will kill her "fashion sense". Oh shut up!

• Love 1

The problem with the way they are writing Phil 

14 hours ago, jmonique said:

Once in a while, we get to see a glimmer of the old Phil.  When he said to Manny:

"If I was your father, I'd advise you to become an accountant or lawyer and take the safe route.  But as a fan, I can't wait to see what you do next."

That's the kind of solid advice we used to see from Phil.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 10

So, the theme of every episode continues to be massive miscommunication and non-communication. Got it. That doesn't always translate into a comedy of errors, though, especially without the occasional sight gag (Mitch taking Lily to school and telling her to be careful, and as she turns around to ask "What?" she walks into a brick pillar).

Dylan is becoming an accomplished and caring nurse. I liked his calmly dressing Claire's arm in the trailer after she fell through the skylight. A calming bedside manner is a valuable trait. And just what Haley and the baby need.

I would have liked to have seen Gloria handle the Black Widow. The way she talks about her life in Colombia, it wouldn't be the first time she faced down a murderer.

Again, short shrift for Luke. The writers haven't known what to do with him since he suddenly blossomed from a goofy little kid into an adult. What a waste. Phil has his magic, Luke has music (as does Nolan IRL). Surely there's a subplot in there for him. Maybe a riff with Cam on drums?

There's no reason that Alex would know or care about Super Bowl Sunday. She doesn't follow sports or watch TV.

Manny seems to be inspired beyond his abilities. It's funny that he never seems to attract a circle of kindred spirits who would appreciate his ambitions.

Who would have thought that Jay and Cam would be BFFs? Jay does have a soft spot or two. Like the picture he keeps on the table of teenage Claire and Mitch in their red dance costumes.

Edited by Bobbin
Corrected spelling of Colombia. Apology to our Cartagena friends
  • Love 4

my god..this show really needs to be moved to friday so no one can see it. all the actors are doing right now is collecting a paycheck. no story lines..horrible acting..no passion. even the writers have given up.

and we have another season of this nonsense.  

and what was going on with Alex's lips?

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, sr49ers2018 said:

That's been going on for a while now. I liked that they finally had Alex in flattering clothes; she was okay as a youngster but for most of the time, the show has put her in the ugliest clothes. But boy has she gotten thin. 

Isn't Manny going to UCLA? Why would he have to transfer to another school to study pre-law or accounting? 

• Love 2

This was an entire episode based all around "people dont take three seconds to communicate with each other" situations, which was just way too much for me. I mean, come on Manny, why would Phil call himself a bad actor? And I have no clue why Cam didnt just text Jay, or Jay didnt text Cam to confirm they were getting together. That isnt a farce or a comical misunderstanding, thats just nonsensical!

The Superbowl was so freaking boring this year, I would have loved having a baby shower around to distract me from the tedium, and Adam Levine's questionable taste in ink. 

Dylan actually showed some real competency when he was wrapping Claire's arm, I wish we saw more of that, and less of the bumbling duffus for an easy joke stuff. Abd enough with the "Dylan and Hailey are Claire and Phil 2.0" stuff. They are both very different people, especially Dylan and Phil. As many have said, Phil is naive and silly, but he isnt stupid!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, Bobbin said:

Columbia

The country is Colombia.

The Jay/Cam plotline was unbelievably stupid; by that, I mean that it is not at all believable in any sort of human universe that it would ever, ever happen.

I'm sorry to say that Rico's acting has been horrendous since at least Season 3, if not Season 2.

When Alex was pairing everyone up and ordering them to go look for Dylan, she was acting more like her mother than Haley ever has (but, like, a better version of her mother since, you know, it's Claire).

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

When Alex was pairing everyone up and ordering them to go look for Dylan, she was acting more like her mother than Haley ever has (but, like, a better version of her mother since, you know, it's Claire).

Interesting too that Alex brought more pregnant women so Haley would stop shaming herself. Which, was actually a nice touch, but when Claire came in with all the vodka it was: "What type of baby shower is this?" Seemed to be more for Claire and Gloria, well more Claire as she pretty much admitted this is her worst nightmare come true with Dylan. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bobbin said:

There's no reason that Alex would know or care about Super Bowl Sunday. She doesn't follow sports or watch TV.

I have less than zero interest in sports and I've never been able to avoid knowing about it.  Anyone not living under a rock in this society hears about it constantly.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

I have less than zero interest in sports and I've never been able to avoid knowing about it.  Anyone not living under a rock in this society hears about it constantly.

I care about sports and often have a super bowl party and this year it completely slipped my mind but I know tons of people who have no idea when it is and manage to avoid it, particularly a month out which is when she asked Jay if the date worked.

No one else seemed to care that the parties were combined except Jay and that seemed to be only because there was other food in the fridge. The only other complaint he made is that he didn’t want to have to go looking for Dylan so it seemed he also didn’t really care.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

...but I know tons of people who have no idea when it is and manage to avoid it, particularly a month out which is when she asked Jay if the date worked.

I'd like know their secret.  I have sports shoved at me all the time.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Who would have thought that Jay and Cam would be BFFs?

The storyline of Jay and Cam bonding over football on the show was good because nobody else in the family(Gloria, Manny, Jay's kids) cared about football, and it showed a gay man interested in football defying the stereotype. But last night's storyline was just lame. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, sr49ers2018 said:

my god..this show really needs to be moved to friday so no one can see it. all the actors are doing right now is collecting a paycheck. no story lines..horrible acting..no passion. even the writers have given up.

She is trying to be a Kardashian. She must be obsessed with them to go for that look.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

The storyline of Jay and Cam bonding over football on the show was good because nobody else in the family(Gloria, Manny, Jay's kids) cared about football, and it showed a gay man interested in football defying the stereotype. But last night's storyline was just lame. 

Manny and Luke care about football, they were on the team in highschool.

• Love 2

I'm not a football fan but I've lived with football fans and I've never known one who was thinking about the superbowl enough to block out the date a month in advance.  I'm absolutely postiive there are those people but I fully believe that neither Alex nor Jay would have been thinking about the super bowl a month in advance.  

17 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

The only good line was Lily saying “Isn’t anyone wondering why Uncle Phil is in a laundromat movie?” Or something close to that. I hate stupid misunderstandings but the Cam and Jay one was beyond dumb.

That was a good line.  

Cam throws and leaves two bags of thickening flour near the front door, and Jay never learns of it. 

• Love 9
On 2/20/2019 at 9:08 PM, Blakeston said:

I’ve never commented on Rico Rodriguez’s acting before, but damn, that freakout was terribly, terribly done.

Godzilla did a better acting job on Tokyo. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

The Superbowl was so freaking boring this year, I would have loved having a baby shower around to distract me from the tedium, and Adam Levine's questionable taste in ink. 

Honestly, I had to pause a moment as I wondered, "Has the Superbowl already happened this year?" 

And I watched part of the first half.

Loved Joey's new 'do. Have never been impressed with Lily and that's not changing. Loved Phil's encouragement to Manny. I think Gloria texting the "escaped prisoner" was just the kind of thing Gloria would (and should do). I hate when characters on comedies get pregnant. I just don't see them milking the parenthood of two idiots for good laughs. 

Dylan has always been stupid. Haley was showing improvements as a character but now they've made them both so dumb I foresee these characters continuing to have multiple children because they don't know what causes them.

I'm so tired of the Gloria is tough as nails because she grew up in Colombia thing.

Alex was actually a pretty decent character this episode. Why couldn't they have done something like that with her many seasons ago and built on it?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 2/20/2019 at 11:33 PM, biakbiak said:

It was understandable thyat since this was shot before the game was played, the writers, et al, would expect there to be more than one freaking touchdown in a Superbowl game, but why they didn't reshoot in the 3 weeks after the game is beyond me (other than the fact that they don't seem to care).

I was hoping that the pet store being called The Pet Offensive (which I found amusing, if perhaps not in the best taste) would lead to something, but, alas, it was not to be.

16 hours ago, jhlipton said:

but why they didn't reshoot in the 3 weeks after the game is beyond me (other than the fact that they don't seem to care).

That would be completely unheard of for a show to do that especially when they never even watched the game.

9 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

That would be completely unheard of for a show to do that especially when they never even watched the game.

The thing is that it was kind of dumb to guess that there would be a touchdown -- it would have far more sense for one to say "Did you see that call?" and the other to say in disgust "I know!!"  There's ALWAYS a bad call, even if there are no touchdowns.  As it is, it just grated.  Someone on the staff should have caught the problem.

• Love 4
On 2/21/2019 at 1:22 PM, sr49ers2018 said:

It really is bad. This show is one of those things that I can always put on in the background and kind of enjoy, even up to last season, but this season? I don't even bother to rewatch any of the episodes.

The Jay/Cam storyline bugged me because it's so out of character for Jay. Cam's part is 100% on brand, but Jay? No. And since he's one of the last characters that I still like, I hate it when they give him stories that make no sense.

And yes, Alex's lips are ridiculous. Why do people think that looks good? It's incredibly distracting and the only thing I see when she's onscreen.

• Love 2
On 2/21/2019 at 1:52 PM, Mystery said:

Isn't Manny going to UCLA? Why would he have to transfer to another school to study pre-law or accounting? 

And what does studying pre-law mean, anyway? You go to law school to study law; there are no particular college courses required as a prerequisite,  unlike the math and science requirements for medical school.

Unless he means his school only requires him to take film-related courses, and he hasn't had a well-balanced curriculum in various areas of study. If he hasn't had any writing courses, for example, that would be a problem for law school. But he should be able to diversify his coursework at his own college, unless he's in a trade school.

6 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

WTF? The description for next week’s show talks about the women getting together to play Haley’s baby shower, which already occurred in this episode. 

Perhaps it’s a redo since only one none family guest showed up and they didn’t really ever have it because the episode was spent finding Dillon.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Perhaps it’s a redo since only one none family guest showed up and they didn’t really ever have it because the episode was spent finding Dillon.

Or it's one of those: "Here is the family baby shower and here is the friend baby shower". Still, it just comes off of how much they are out of ideas. Why did ABC agree to done one more season to wrap everything up when they are already repeating an episode story line that was just two episodes ago.

15 hours ago, readster said:

Or it's one of those: "Here is the family baby shower and here is the friend baby shower". Still, it just comes off of how much they are out of ideas. Why did ABC agree to done one more season to wrap everything up when they are already repeating an episode story line that was just two episodes ago.

This show doesn't really bother too much with non-family characters so I can't imagine them bothering to have a second shower. I guess it could be a re-do of the shower that went wrong, but it still feels a bit pointless. They might as well speed ahead to the cliched "going into labor anywhere but a hospital" storyline if they're so stretched for ideas. 

• Love 1
On 2/22/2019 at 2:06 AM, bybrandy said:

I'm not a football fan but I've lived with football fans and I've never known one who was thinking about the superbowl enough to block out the date a month in advance.  I'm absolutely postiive there are those people but I fully believe that neither Alex nor Jay would have been thinking about the super bowl a month in advance.  

Someone who watches football/superbowl doesn't necessarily = someone who keeps a schedule. My husband is a big football fan and gave me the wrong date for the Superbowl this year. I got the correct date online and prepared my Superbowl menu accordingly. I knew the date but I watched none of the game - never do. 

On 3/11/2019 at 3:04 PM, ljenkins782 said:

This show doesn't really bother too much with non-family characters so I can't imagine them bothering to have a second shower. I guess it could be a re-do of the shower that went wrong, but it still feels a bit pointless. They might as well speed ahead to the cliched "going into labor anywhere but a hospital" storyline if they're so stretched for ideas. 

They said her friends would be showing up soon and they wanted to find Dillon before that, so that's how they got around the whole no-other-guests-at-the-shower thing. Have we ever seen Hailey with a friend besides the guys she's gone out with? 

8 hours ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Someone who watches football/superbowl doesn't necessarily = someone who keeps a schedule. My husband is a big football fan and gave me the wrong date for the Superbowl this year. I got the correct date online and prepared my Superbowl menu accordingly. I knew the date but I watched none of the game - never do. 

They said her friends would be showing up soon and they wanted to find Dillon before that, so that's how they got around the whole no-other-guests-at-the-shower thing. Have we ever seen Hailey with a friend besides the guys she's gone out with? 

Haley and Dylan have friends? Really? When?

On 3/10/2019 at 7:18 PM, ljenkins782 said:

WTF? The description for next week’s show talks about the women getting together to play Haley’s baby shower, which already occurred in this episode. 

And it turns out that the description was just incorrect.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:40 AM, biakbiak said:

Yeah, outside the hiking situation, it couldn't have been farther from the truth. The description should have said in the second part: "Meanwhile, Claire clashes over problems trying to put the baby's room together from the crib to the room."

On 3/13/2019 at 12:36 PM, love2lovebadtv said:

Have we ever seen Hailey with a friend besides the guys she's gone out with? 

There were those women who she promoted clubs with. I'm pretty sure those were friends of hers who she brought into her business.

2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

There were those women who she promoted clubs with. I'm pretty sure those were friends of hers who she brought into her business.

Yeah, plus she was always shown talking on the phone to various friends. I get why we never saw most of them, why bother to pay actresses for bit parts that aren't central to the story, which is about the family. 

And yet, it's sadly telling that it seemed plausible that they could be recycling stories.