Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: Penneys from Heaven

• Start Topic

Wow.  They're not even pretending with Anne anymore.  That's just awkward...

As for the rest of the show, I have never seen so much fug in one place at one time.  Exactly how were the designers supposed to make evening clothes out of those hideous patterns and denim?  I get it that they're supposed to be extremely creative people, but extremely creative people need the right raw materials to work with.  It is no coincidence that the two most praised looks were the two that happened to grab the shiniest, least patterned, not!cotton material.  It was supremely unfair to complain that all that floral cotton fabric didn't read "evening" to the judges.  WTF?

That said, I think the judges were on crack when they praised Michelle's satin sleep shirt.  Those denim accents on the shoulders looked stupid, Mrs. Weinstein, not inspired.

• Love 19
4 hours ago, bourbon said:

This season is utterly joyless to me. The problem with the All Stars, particularly with this iteration wherever everyone has won at least one season, there's just a feeling of ennui and too-good-for-this-ness. Bitchiness abounds, and not in a particularly fun way. 

You are right, and its funny how they behave seeing that although everyone here has won at least one season, none of them was able to coin that victory into a really successful design career. A career that keeps them to busy to run off filming this bitch fest for 3 months.

I never expected all of their labels to become household names but find it particularly interesting that none went on to work for established fashion lines or houses, or that we never saw two former contestants team up. Its all egos with this show.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Token said:

I can't believe that's the level of clothes that JC Penney sells.  Just awful.

yes, those "choices" seemed very very low rent, like what you'd find in Walmart. 

7 hours ago, sweetcookieface said:

I went back on forth on whether I thought BIddell's look would be on the top or bottom. It was definitely a "look" (probably the only thing that stood out on the runway)

Yeah, I agree. I thought his and Michelle's were the worst on the runway, but I can get why he won as well. My favorite was Irina's-- I liked the buttons on the sleeves and skirt slit-- cute. Her shoulders were over-the-top though.

• Love 3

That had to be one of the worst All-Stars runways ever. I actually liked Michelle's because at least it didn't hurt my eyes. I liked Anthony Ryan's too, he should've been in the top instead of either Irina or Biddell. Hers was ok but went a bit costumey, as was Biddell's. His was weird and kind of cool, but that turban was too much. More costumey-ness.

What is going on with Dmitry this season? That was some Forever 21 shit. Well made but damn.

I think the right designer went home. Now I'm waiting for Christina to make her move.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

"So, we've decided which International designer is going home then?"

Ass is ass, and if the international designers are producing ass, they deserve to go home. Christina is the only one that has impressed me so far.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

Oddly I thought I could see a Kardashian in something like that. Maybe not Kim, but one of the lesser Kardashians. Probably Khloe. 

There was also a challenge they had to use the clothes they were wearing.  I remember one of the males being kind of upset because he LOVED the pants or jacket he was wearing. (I googled... it was Season 2 episode 2 and Nick was wearing a leather jacket he loved and Andrea had a denim jacket and pants he loved that he had to give up).  And there was another challenge they accosted people in the park for clothing (All Star Season 1).  

OK, the phrase "lesser Kardashian" made me snort unattractively.

It was Santino who was wearing his absolute favorite vintage leather jacket, and he cut it up without hesitation. I don't think Nick had any issues. Poor Andrae had his famous meltdown that episode. One woman opted not to cut up a vintage silk scarf that had belonged to her late mother and Nina was an asshole about it. She was eliminated. The designer, not Nina.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, auntlada said:

I didn't like Dimitri's blouse, but I did like the skirt. Thirty-five years ago, I would have loved that skirt.

I liked Dmitri's skirt too, and would have worn it, well, 40 years ago.....

13 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

Just my opinion, of course, but this season is dull. Many of the designers seem less than fully engaged with the challenges. Not one “look” has wowed me. The judges seem to be in a parallel universe because I haven’t agreed with any of their chosen winners.

When this episode began, I thought that this challenge was too easy for All-Stars. Then I saw the results. Ack! So disappointing. Was any of it remotely wearable?

Michelle’s look reminded me of a shower curtain. Dmitry and his ruffles are getting old. AR’s isn’t as clever as he thinks he is, especially in his talking heads.

Don’t get the judges’ ongoing love for Michelle’s looks. She is going to win it, isn’t she?

I was yelling at the TV the whole runway show, because of the Parade of Ugly. That was some ugly, right there.

Cynthia was one of my favorites. I likes her clothes, they were intricate, architectural, and clever. Of course, she had to be passed over for Isaac's darling, Anthony Ryan, and that cockroach Michelle. Sheesh. What I wanted to see was the international winners, not the tired old PR alums who turn up like bad pennies every five minutes. The only one missing was Kate. Guess they finally stopped trying to make Kate happen.

Anne is the worst mentor in the history of mentoring.

Looking forward to the return to Bravo and the new cast. Maybe that can breathe new life into my old favorite.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Anne is the worst mentor in the history of mentoring.

I mean, she is horrible. Unbelievable. Never a critique just a "okay, this is why I hate this and this is where you've gone terribly wrong and should redo...". I would just in my mind put my fingers in my ears when she comes around and let it roll right off. "Okay. Good talk Anne." Then back to work like her little 'check in' never happened.

• Love 7

Count me as one of the ones who liked Biddell's look. It was cool and he made those fabrics look expensive. Personally, I would've preferred it if he'd kept it a dress but I think turning it into a jumpsuit is what made it unique enough to give him the win.

Sean's dress was okay but not for a nighttime look. Maybe for an evening luau or something but anyone in an urban area wouldn't choose that for a night out, even on the hottest summer night. I don't really understand why he couldn't have looked for a good solid fabric and just used those patterns as accents.

I actually didn't mind Dmitry's look too much. Yes, it was a bit junior, and yes, he's done his ruffles/bohemian thing a little too much already. But it wasn't bad. I mean, I hated the top but the skirt was cute and I think he did a good job with the clothes he had to work with.

Oh, Christina. No. Just no. For one, the pattern on the pants looked so much like lattice work through which bare legs were showing. I kept thinking she wasn't wearing any underwear. And that vest thing just didn't work at all. Plus I genuinely don't understand what the fuss was about when it came to using denim. Most people nowadays wear jeans when they go out, even to a nicer place. It is totally normal. Make a pair of kicky shorts. Turn the jeans into a cropped denim jacket. Hell, a cropped vest would've been better than what she ended up making. I'm glad they kept her because overall I think she's made some neat things but if they were just looking at this runway, she should've been the one to go.

I liked Michelle's dress and would totally buy it, except this is a design competition and that was nothing more than a sack dress. It wasn't special, it wasn't fancy, it wasn't clever. It was basic. She should've been relegated to safe territory with a warning to stop making things first year design students would make. I liked Isaac's idea to wear it backwards though.

I thought Irina's use of the shirts was clever but I hated those shoulders. Way too unnecessarily dramatic for a design that could stand on its own. And I"m getting a little tired of her slit-up-to-*there* aesthetic. No one needs a slit up to their hip flexors, especially when the shirt is already short.

I'm sad Cynthia left. I really liked the designs she's done so far. Yes, this wasn't her best but I don't think it was the worst on the runway. I think it could've been a cute outfit if she'd used the blue to join the top and skirt together to make a dress. I think she got a little too hung up on the idea of a jacket and just lost her way. I wouldn't have sent her home over this.

I really didn't like Anthony Ryan's dress at all. The basic shape, sure. But the way he used that patterning, to me it looked like a baby threw up all down her side.

I giggled when Dmitry snapped at Michelle and whoever it was (Anthony Ryan?) when they were sitting around making noise because they'd finished early. "Go eat something." I cracked up.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

She was eliminated. The designer, not Nina.

Too bad. (I've never really liked Nina, and the more I saw of her, the less I liked her.)

1 hour ago, JenLily said:

No one needs a slit up to their hip flexors, especially when the shirt is already short.

Normally I would agree with you, but that skirt looked really tight, as though if a slit wasn't part of it before the model walked the runway, it would be there after she walked.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JenLily said:

I giggled when Dmitry snapped at Michelle and whoever it was (Anthony Ryan?)

I think it was Sean?  Considering he was in the Bottom last week, after finishing early and helping Anya with her design, and was in the Bottom this week, after essentially finishing early and gabbing with Michelle before slapping a strip of his third fabric on his design, I think Sean ought to consider not finishing early.

• Love 3

One woman opted not to cut up a vintage silk scarf that had belonged to her late mother and Nina was an asshole about it. She was eliminated. The designer, not Nina.

IIRC, Nina was exasperated because she felt the designer could have used the scarf as a belt or an ornament and wouldn't have had to cut it up.  In other words, a designer who lacked creativity and originality would have been perfect for this season.

Edited by AuntieDiane6
7 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

IIRC, Nina was exasperated because she felt the designer could have used the scarf as a belt or an ornament and wouldn't have had to cut it up.  In other words, a designer who lacked creativity and originality would have been perfect for this season.

Either way, she would have had to give up the scarf, the clothes become property of Project Runway, she couldn't have taken the scarf back. It had belonged to her mother, she was attached to it. I don't fault her. She was sent home for a bad outfit, anyway. Sacrificing her mother's scarf wouldn't have saved it. Though I would rather have seen anyone from the first six seasons, even Daniel Franco, than any of these clowns. I like Bidell, and I liked Cynthia, but the rest? Feh. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, JenLily said:

Count me as one of the ones who liked Biddell's look.

Me too - I hated to when it was a dress- it reminded me of something Mrs. Roper would have been wearing on Three’s Company, but as soon as he turned it into the jumper I loved it! It might have something to do with my obsession with joggers, but I thought it was cool, and it was so insane I think the turban worked with it. I think he’s my favorite this season. Snarky, yes, but I like almost everything he’s done, and every week his looks are different, not the exact same as the week before.

Another week, another international goes home. Even though Christina’s was an assault on my eyes (those pants!) I am glad she stayed because I think she’s been pretty strong all season.

I HATED Dmitry’s skirt. It reminded me of the 80’s when I was in high school. Blech.

The whole time I was watching this I kept wishing Seth Aaron was still there - I think he could have rocked this challenge.

Edited by Ilovepie
Bad typing skills
  • Love 4
On 2/21/2019 at 1:07 AM, zoltana said:

That's what I thought when I saw Michelle's too.  Another sack dress.  Why does she keep getting a pass for doing the same dress week after week? 

I thought it looked like a hospital gown.

• Love 7
On 2/22/2019 at 9:30 AM, Gothish520 said:

What is going on with Dmitry this season? That was some Forever 21 shit. Well made but damn.

Speaking of Forever 21, everyday I walk by one on my way to work.  In the window are a couple of outfits that strongly remind me of Anthony Ryan's hideous outfit from the first challenge.  

On 2/22/2019 at 2:03 PM, JenLily said:

I actually didn't mind Dmitry's look too much. Yes, it was a bit junior, and yes, he's done his ruffles/bohemian thing a little too much already. But it wasn't bad. I mean, I hated the top but the skirt was cute and I think he did a good job with the clothes he had to work with.

The problem for me was that it was ruffles on top and then ruffles on the bottom.  Either the top or the skirt should have been streamlined and the ruffles might have stood out in a good way.  

On 2/21/2019 at 11:29 PM, izabella said:

That bun on top of Alyssa's head is the worst. 

Really.  I want to know one person who looks fashionable in a fucking topknot.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:45 PM, Aulty said:

You are right, and its funny how they behave seeing that although everyone here has won at least one season, none of them was able to coin that victory into a really successful design career. A career that keeps them to busy to run off filming this bitch fest for 3 months.

The most successful alum of this show is, of course, Christian Siriano, and he never needed to go on All Stars.  Of course, he's been a judge, in the Michael Kors/Zac Posen mode, and now he's going to be a mentor.  The new sewtestants would do well to listen to him.  I love Dimitry and Seth Aaron, but it bothers me that they feel they have to keep coming back.  

Instead of seeing these constant retreads, I want to see a season of nothing but the people who were aufed in the first week.  The ones whose names no one remembers!

On 2/22/2019 at 2:03 PM, JenLily said:

I giggled when Dmitry snapped at Michelle and whoever it was (Anthony Ryan?) when they were sitting around making noise because they'd finished early.

They would have just loved the demon twins and their frantic antics.  Not.

• Love 6
On 2/23/2019 at 8:34 PM, meowmommy said:

Instead of seeing these constant retreads, I want to see a season of nothing but the people who were aufed in the first week.  The ones whose names no one remembers!

That would be awesome! And so weird at the same time because some of those first/second week folks were not good. 

• Love 2

Egads -- at the Oscars last night, several women, including Maya Rudolph, looked like they were wearing Dimitri's beruffled late 70's/early 80's/Little House on the Prairie/Jessica London/Gunnie Sax asthetic.  Ugh!  

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 2