Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Deflectors

Bort
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, tv-talk said:

I think that is McFarlane's entire point- that the Union shouldnt be so tolerant of cultures with abhorrent values like the Moclan's. That there are actual UNIVERSAL values that should be embraced and a culture promotes things like misogyny or homophobia or pedophilia then instead of making the "oh that's just their culture" excuse, people should stand against them.

But when they are facing a more primitive culture, like the one a few episodes ago that believed in astrology, they are not allowed to interfere.  They are forced to respect the state of development that their culture is in.  So if they do that for them, it seems inconsistent to not do that also for the Moclans.

I do agree the Moclans are likely to become villains in the future (even more so than they are now).  

The Moclans and Krill are conservative Muslims and Evangelical Christians, pretty clear to me McFarlane is making a statement that as flawed as western secular society may be it's superior to certain other forms. All the 'gay' stuff and inter-species sex is what you'd expect secular, liberal society to look like in the future. I'm glad he also portrayed how to the Krill, the humans were no more than savage murderers after killing all but the children aboard their ship. I liked how Teleya told Ed that what he'd done is create children who would spend their lives hating humans. Pretty obvious parallel to what happens with US military operations in Muslim countries. Basically McFarlane is following almost directly the same sort of themes ect that Rodenberry did and he's doing a far superior job of it than the awful Star Trek Discovery is managing.

• Love 2
On 2/15/2019 at 12:28 PM, vibeology said:

guess I'm more of a moral absolutist because I don't care if some of this stuff is Moclan culture; it's wrong. Killing your partner when you want a divorce is wrong to me because I always think killing someone is wrong. Punishing a family when a member commits suicide is wrong to me because I think its always wrong to punish people for someone else being mentally ill. Imprisioning someone for being attracted to a certain gender is wrong. I believe this because I believe who you are attracted to is not something you choose and people shouldn't be killed or punished for that.

I don't care if it's their culture. There are places on earth where you can find cultures who kill gay people or who lock them away. They are wrong and they need to make cultural shifts to be better. Same with the Moclans. None of this "the union should be more understanding" garbage. I have zero problem with the other members of the Union being bothered and upset by a few of the things we've seen from Moclans. Eating someone's tooth in a relationship ceremony is culture; punishing someone for being attracted to a certain gender is wrong..

I also have no problem with Talla chewing out Klyden at the end. Not only did his actions lead to Locar's life being ruined but he also spied on Talla. He made it personal by following her and Locar through the ship so I'm cool with her telling him to keep his distance going forward.

Yes,yes a million times yes. You pulled the thoughts right out of my head. 

• Love 1