Type keyword(s) to search

Love, Death & Robots - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't know why no one has replied to this; just finished it today, and it's excellent!  The power of Netflix is the ability to fund experimental projects, of which many are forgettable flops (oof, some of those one-off movies are all trailer and no cattle)... but some (like this, the recent "Russian Doll", the gimmicky "Bandersnatch", etc) showcase new and interesting storytelling.

The look and production value was very "Liquid Television" and "Animatrix", if updated for the 21st century.  Some of them were cute, some were wondrous, all were excellently produced.  No real duds, although some like "The Dump" were unremarkable to me.  The quality of CGI is such that at times, I couldn't be sure the "Ice Age" short wasn't CGI.  While the human actors were, apparently, live action shot, it's only a matter of time before "normal" shows are mocap and CGI, because it's cheaper to produce and looks better than real life.

Stand-outs for me were:

• "Three Robots", which was just plain fun
  • Also enjoyed the humor of "When the Yogurt Took Over", whose narration reminded me of "Pushing Daisies", and "Alternate Histories".
  • "Beyond the Aquila Rift" for the existential horror it embodies (I saw it/the twist coming, but that thing in the shadows... brrrr
  • "Good Hunting" with the blend of animism and Victorian steampunk; I'd want to see a whole movie of this world.
  • "Zima Blue" was a great example of "real" sci-fi, in that it explores real questions of human identity, self, and purpose when looking up into an infinitely vast universe

It's also kind of amusing this is in the "Kids & Animated" section, because this is definitely not for kids! 

• Love 1
On 3/20/2019 at 10:18 PM, hincandenza said:

Stand-outs for me were:

• "Three Robots", which was just plain fun
  • Also enjoyed the humor of "When the Yogurt Took Over", whose narration reminded me of "Pushing Daisies", and "Alternate Histories".
  • "Beyond the Aquila Rift" for the existential horror it embodies (I saw it/the twist coming, but that thing in the shadows... brrrr
  • "Good Hunting" with the blend of animism and Victorian steampunk; I'd want to see a whole movie of this world.
  • "Zima Blue" was a great example of "real" sci-fi, in that it explores real questions of human identity, self, and purpose when looking up into an infinitely vast universe

I enjoyed this as well and I am surprised no one is posting.

My Stand-outs

Three Robots

Sonnie's Edge

Shape-Shifters

Lucky 13

When the Yogurt Took Over

Alternate Histories

• Love 1

Love Death + Robots Vol. 2:

Automated Customer Service (10 minutes). Directed by Meat Dept (Kevin Van Der Meiren, David Nicolas, Laurent Nicolas). Animation company: Atoll Studio. Based on a story by John Scalzi.

Ice (10 minutes). Directed by Robert Valley. Animation company: Passion Pictures. Based on a story by Rich Larson.

Pop Squad (15 minutes). Directed by Jennifer Yuh Nelson. Animation company: Blur Studio. Based on a story by Paolo Bacigalupi.

Snow in the Desert (15 minutes). Directed by Leon Berelle, Dominique Boidin, Remi Kozyra, Maxime Luere. Animation company: Unit Image Based on a story by Neal Asher.

The Tall Grass (8 minutes). Directed by Simon Otto. Animation company: Axis Animation. Based on a story by Joe Lansdale.

All Through the House (4 minutes). Directed by Elliot Dear. Animation company Blink Industries. Based on a story by Joachim Heijndermans.

Life Hutch (10 minutes). Directed by Alex Beaty. Animation company: Blur Studio. Based on a story by Harlan Ellison.

The Drowned Giant (10 minutes). Directed by Tim Miller. Animation company: Blur Studio. Based on a story by J.G. Ballard.

This is very short, like a run time of 82 minutes, sort of disappointing for how long we had to wait.

I am happy to be getting a second season, I liked the first season a lot. I liked the variation in animations styles, genres, and tones. I thought they were all good, but my favorites were probably Fish Night, Suites, Lucky 13, Good Hunting, and The Secret War. I would absolutely watch a whole movie based around Good Hunting or The Secret War, I love mixing historical settings with fantasy or science fiction. 

Pop Squad: Not sure how that society would function. Does everybody do the same job forever? There were a lot of people who seemed to be middle-aged/elderly, not the age I would want to be if I was to live forever. Why do the people in the clouds care about what the people on the ground are doing? They have a form of population control since nobody from the ground can enter the society in the clouds, they can only leave it.

On 5/17/2021 at 5:18 PM, AnimeMania said:

Love, Death + Robots Volume 3 Will Feature a Sequel to 'Three Robots'

Love-Death-Robots-Three-Robots-Featured.

Love, Death + Robots Volume 3 will feature a sequel to the Volume 1 episode, "Three Robots."

Aside from this volume being a lot shorter than the first, I felt the only thing missing was the more lighter episodes like Three Robots, or When the Yogurt Took Over or Alternate Histories. Other than that is was another enjoyable set of episodes with different animation styles.

Four Emmy recognitions wins for Netflix’s Love, Death + Robots (Robert Valley, production designer; Patricio Betteo, background artist; Dan Gill, stop motion animator; Laurent Nicolas, character designer).

Love, Death + Robots • Ice • Netflix • Blur Studio for Netflix
Robert Valley, Production Designer

Love, Death + Robots • Ice • Netflix • Blur Studio for Netflix
Patricio Betteo, Background Artist

Love, Death + Robots • All Through the House • Netflix • Blur Studio for Netflix
Dan Gill, Stop Motion Animator

Love, Death + Robots • Automated Customer Service • Netflix • Blur Studio for Netflix
Laurent Nicolas, Character Designer

Edited by AnimeMania

Exclusive: 'The Art of Love, Death + Robots' Illustrated Companion Book Includes Stunning Images, Foreword by John Scalzi

The Art of Love, Death + Robots will be available on May 31, 2022.

The Art of Love, Death + Robots has a foreword from science-fiction author John Scalzi, who had three different short stories adapted in the first volume of Love, Death + Robots: "Three Robots," "When the Yogurt Took Over," and "Missives From Possible Futures #1: Alternate History Search Results.”love-death-and-robots-book-foreward.jpg?

The Art of Love, Death + Robots features an abundance of beautiful concept art, character studies, costume sketches, paintings, vehicle designs, storyboards, early vision decks, and finished frames. Also, to help fans make sense of every piece of art, the book includes interviews with key artists and creatives, along with Tim Miller and David Fincher, creators of the animated Love, Death + Robots.

the-art-of-love-death-and-robots-image-1

the-art-of-love-death-and-robots-image-0

the-art-of-love-death-and-robots-image-0

the-art-of-love-death-and-robots-image-1

Ahead of the Tomorrow Premiere of Love Death + Robots Volume 3, Netflix has released Episode 7: Three Robots: Exit Strategies for free on YouTube.
S03.E07: Three Robots: Exit Strategies
1057158-rob9500r-1280.jpg?itok=INHkOwlN
The first direct sequel in Love, Death + Robots history – from the mind of acclaimed sci-fi novelist John Scalzi. The titular trio of droll droids returns to take a whirlwind tour studying post-apocalyptic human survival strategies before mankind was finally snuffed out.
Director: Patrick Osborne
Writer: John Scalzi
Studio: Blow Studio

Love, Death + Robots Volume 3       May 20         Netflix 

Season 3     Episodes 1-9     Titles and Descriptions

S03.E01: Three Robots: Exit Strategies
Three robots walk into the post-apocalypse… and take a whirlwind tour of
humankind's last attempts to save itself.
1057158-rob9500r-1280.jpg?itok=INHkOwlN
The first direct sequel in Love, Death + Robots history – from the mind of acclaimed sci-fi novelist John Scalzi. The titular trio of droll droids returns to take a whirlwind tour studying post-apocalyptic human survival strategies before mankind was finally snuffed out.
Director: Patrick Osborne
Writer: John Scalzi
Studio: Blow Studio

S03.E02: Bad Travelling
Release the Thanapod! A ship’s crew member sailing an alien ocean strikes
a deal with a ravenous monster of the deep.
1057158-bdt4286r-1280.jpg?itok=X7CZYCr7
A jable shark-hunting sailing vessel is attacked by a giant crustacean whose size and intelligence is matched only by its appetite. Mutiny, betrayal and ventriloquism with a corpse… welcome aboard the animation directing debut of David Fincher.
Director: David Fincher
Writer: Andrew Kevin Walker, based on the short story by Neal Asher
Studio: Blur Studio

S03.E03: The Very Pulse of the Machine
When an exploratory mission to a Jovian moon ends in disaster, the lone
survivor must begin a perilous but mind-expanding journey.
1057158-vpm8374r-1280.jpg?itok=aCkNieg-
When an exploratory expedition on the surface of the moon Io ends in disaster, an astronaut must trek to safety dragging the body of her co-pilot while using potentially mind-warping drugs to deal with the pain of her own injuries in this trippy tribute to comic book legend Moebius.
Director: Emily Dean
Writer: Philip Gelatt, from a short story by Michael Swanwick
Studio: Polygon Pictures

S03.E04: Night of the Mini-Dead
A bit of unholy cemetery sex ends badly, kicking off a worldwide zombie
plague. It’s the cutest apocalypse you’ll ever see.
1057158-nmd5574r-1280.jpg?itok=0Zj8_gAC
The apocalypse is conceived – literally – in a graveyard in this biting zombie satire, which starts with some cheeky cemetery sex and accelerates into a walking dead invasion of everywhere – from downtown LA to the Vatican. It’s the end of the world as we gnaw it.
Director(s): Robert Bisi, Andy Lyon
Writer: Robert Bisi & Andy Lyon, from a short story by Jeff Fowler & Tim Miller
Studio: BUCK

S03.E05: Kill Team Kill
US Special Forces are trained to neutralize any threat — even a cybernetic
killing machine created by the CIA. Their secret weapon? A sense of
humor.
1057158-ktk4306r-1280.jpg?itok=B77bZOHc
Young, dumb and full of… blood, lots and lots of blood, a ’roid-raging, adrenaline-fuelled force of US soldiers faces a foe unlike any they have faced before, the result of a CIA experiment that gets really f*****g Grizzly. From the director of Kung Fu Panda 2.
Director: Jennifer Yuh Nelson
Writer: Philip Gelatt, from a short story by Justin Coates
Studio: Titmouse, Inc.

S03.E06: Swarm
Two human scientists study the secrets of an ancient alien entity — but
soon learn the horrible price of survival in a hostile universe.
1057158-swm1902r-1280.jpg?itok=1Dvr9tpI
A story of fear, sex and philosophy on the farthest frontier, as two post-human scientists study an apparently mindless insectoid-race. Tim Miller writes and directs the first ever screen adaptation of the work from renowned Cyberpunk author Bruce Sterling.
Director: Tim Miller
Writer: Tim Miller, based on the short story by Bruce Sterling
Studio: Blur Studio

S03.E07: Mason's Rats
Welcome to the Ratpocalypse! Farmer Mason knows he has a real pest
problem when they start shooting back. Bloody hell!
1057158-rat7653r-1280.jpg?itok=-wN0Lxko
You know you have a pest control problem when they start to shoot back. The ratpocalypse comes to Scotland, as a grumpy farmer takes drastic steps to deal with an invasion of hyper-evolved rodents. Exterminator: Judgment Day.
Director: Carlos Stevens
Writer: Joe Abercrombie, based on the short story by Neal Asher
Studio: Axis Studios

S03.E08: In Vaulted Halls Entombed
Modern warfare meets elder gods. A special forces squad on a hostage
rescue mission finds themselves trapped in a prison containing an age-old
evil.
1057158-vhe9341r-1280.jpg?itok=VNKvW1c8
Deep in the mountains of Afghanistan, a squad of Special Forces soldiers has the dangerous job of recovering a hostage held by terrorists. But the real evil they must confront is an elder god of ancient and terrifying power.
Director: Jerome Chen
Writer: Philip Gelatt, based on a short story by Alan Baxter
Studio: Sony Pictures Imageworks

S03.E09: Jibaro
A deaf knight and a siren of myth become entwined in a deadly dance. A
fatal attraction infused with blood, death and treasure.
jib_6671_r-1280_0.jpg?itok=A79mcr8t
Fantasy and greed combine in this re-imagining of the traditional folktale of a siren whose song lures men to their doom. But her sorcery fails to work on the deaf knight, Jibaro, and the Golden Woman becomes fascinated by him. Thus begins a deadly dance of two predators.
Director: Alberto Mielgo
Writer: Alberto Mielgo
Studio: Pinkman.tv

I enjoyed the third season.  The first episode seemed like something that could actually happen.  I didn't realize it was a sequel to a previous episode.  I'll have to re-watch that one.

I had to look away from the gore in Bad Traveling.  I wasn't sure of the motives of the main guy at first, but I'm glad it was for the ultimate good. 

The imagery in episode 3 was very beautiful, but the ending was ominous.  Was the moon trying to lure others onto her for a feeding?

For episode 8, I was reminded of Hellboy and IT.  The ending doesn't look too promising for humankind.

Episode 9 was stunning.  I kept trying to see if they were real people!  The siren's dancing was very graceful and creepy at the same time.  I would have jumped out of my skin if I found that thing sleeping on me!  I was trying to see if the guy kept going in a circle because of her powers.  Her outfit was beautiful.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/20/2022 at 9:35 PM, peridot said:

Episode 9 was stunning.  I kept trying to see if they were real people!  The siren's dancing was very graceful and creepy at the same time.  I would have jumped out of my skin if I found that thing sleeping on me!  I was trying to see if the guy kept going in a circle because of her powers.  Her outfit was beautiful.

The look of the episode really was stunning. The characters, including the siren were mesmerizing yet incredibly creepy looking. I do think the guy was going around in circles. No matter how far he seemed to walk away from the river he always seemed to return there. Whether that was his own choice or some strange power the siren held is unknown. I do think the episode was a commentary on greed and toxic relationships.

I enjoyed Bad Traveling. I too wasn’t sure about Torrin, but he turned out to be the most moral of them all. Swarm was interesting too. Though I knew the “research” was going to go badly as soon as they decided to steal DNA from the swarm for their own gain. SMH. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

I wish these seasons were longer, the first season had almost twenty episodes while the second and third both had less than ten. Is it a budget thing? 

My favorite episodes were Bad Traveling, Mason's Rats, and Jibaro. Jibaro was gorgeous, I couldn't stop looking at the character designs, especially of the golden woman, that was an amazing outfit. Mason's Rats turned out to be surprisingly cute at the end, it reminded me a bit of Suites from the fist season, combining futuristic tech with a rustic setting. I had no idea where Bad Traveling was going, but I thought it built a great creepy atmosphere and I am glad that Torrin turned out to be a good, if ruthless, guy. 

• Love 1

I'm late to this show, but wow is it a gem. Beyond the Aquila Rift and Zima Blue are my favorites from the first season, but I also enjoyed the more lighthearted ones. No standouts from season 2, but season 3 has been the best so far IMO. As everyone has said, Jibaro is beautiful and haunting. I also loved Night of the Mini Dead. The adorable miniatures depicting an accelerated zombie apocalypse were amazing and the squeaky voiced dialogue cracked me up.

I really hope this doesn't get cancelled like so many other Netflix shows have been.