Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Semi Finals: Double Unmasking

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, blackwing said:

It's her own song so I don't see why there'd be any rights issues.

Shows like this generally try to plan things out so that they can go big on finale night by doing their compromising on song choices earlier, so this shouldn't be an issue anyway.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:32 PM, possibilities said:

If it's a singing competition, who should win, if not the greatest singer?

But then why have people on who obviously can't sing? Like Tori Spelling. 

I actually prefer a premise of people who you would never expect could sing - like Rumor Willis. 

I have also noticed that they are sort of hiding the singers true singing voice sometimes also.  They've done it to peacock when he obviously doesn't need it. But they did it a lot with singers who couldn't sing.  It makes them sound a little robotic. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, gunderda said:

But then why have people on who obviously can't sing? Like Tori Spelling. 

I actually prefer a premise of people who you would never expect could sing - like Rumor Willis. 

I have also noticed that they are sort of hiding the singers true singing voice sometimes also.  They've done it to peacock when he obviously doesn't need it. But they did it a lot with singers who couldn't sing.  It makes them sound a little robotic. 

I think that robotic voice thing is what they now call "autotune" (or at least an exaggerated version of it).  Way back in the 70s, it was called "vo-coding"   I think it became popular because it was used on Britney Spears , who in my opinion anyway, couldn't sing to save her life.  Unfortunately, it's become a "thing" and it's used on people who actually CAN sing, and it makes me despair that kids growing up today actually know what a real human singing voice sounds like.  

• Love 1

I do think it's a fun thing is to have people who can sing but you don't know it about them. But I don't know how many people like that there really are, who have high enough name recognition that people would care to discover it, and who are also interested in doing the show.

• Love 1
On 2/23/2019 at 3:08 PM, truebluesmoky said:

Isn’t the entire thing filmed and done already? Like, hasn’t a winner been chosen and they’re just airing them all one week at a time? I was under the impression that they were all filmed during one time period prior to the show airing for the first time.

This also makes sense why the judges can't always figure out who it is since they would have had to take the time to Google everything themselves.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, meggonzo said:

This also makes sense why the judges can't always figure out who it is since they would have had to take the time to Google everything themselves.

I read an article last week that provided some behind-the-scenes info, but I can't find the link. Anyway, apparently the judges were strongly discouraged from trying to Google anything to help solve the clues; they were supposed to rely more on their own knowledge. The other thing that was interesting to me was that the insane guesses that are shown are not all the guesses; throughout each episode the judges are throwing out names, often knowing there's no chance it's that person, and the editors just pick out a sample of the guesses that were made. It does seem pretty clear that right at the end, when someone is going to be unmasked, that those guesses are serious, but the earlier guesses might have been legit or might have been the judge  just trying to be funny. 

• Love 1
On 2/25/2019 at 8:19 PM, possibilities said:

I do think it's a fun thing is to have people who can sing but you don't know it about them. But I don't know how many people like that there really are, who have high enough name recognition that people would care to discover it, and who are also interested in doing the show.

I think there are familiar actors and/or comedians who have Broadway backgrounds that fans don't know about who would be perfect for this show. I am thinking about David Alan Grier who has this amazing voice that I never knew about until he performed on NBC's live The Wiz or Jesse L Martin who was in the original cast of Rent on Broadway. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3