Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Semi Finals: Double Unmasking

• Start Topic

Heh apparently FOX doesn't have a photo of the New En Vogue instead using an older stock photo with the 4 Originals...and making me miss the originals Max and Dawn.    Interesting too that Dawn was mentioned as a possibility for the Lion (though clearly Rumer sounds nothing like Dawn or any of the other En Vogue members past and present...so Ken clearly doesn't know the En Vogue sound).    At least someone on FOX knew which member was Dawn and used the correct photo at the end when Lion was sent packing.  I called it too that the Lion and Rabbit would be eliminated though it might've been telegraphed by the judges all overly praising the Peacock and Monster.   

Edited by Meedis

So, I used to watch The Girls Next Door (hangs head in shame), and wondered if T-Pain was the rapper that Kendra was such good friends with?  I tried googling that last night but couldn't find an answer.  (Not that I tried very hard.)

Weird Al is one of my heros in life.  

Edited by Cowgirl

For everybody who will be disappointed if t-pain wins because there will be people who don’t recognize who he is, I’m sure there is a bunch of viewers who are going to be “Donny Osmond, who’s that?”

• Love 3

One thing I really love about T-Pain being on this is that it just fits the overall WTF-ness of the show. And I don’t actually think that exposure on this show would be much of a career boost. It just feels like a bit of vindication for him after all of the auto-tune drama. And I appreciated his ability to poke fun at himself in I’m on a Boat (that’s the explicit version and super NSFW). Gladys, of course, is the best singer, and I could listen to her cover contemporary hits forever. I just wish we could hear how this show was pitched/sold to the two of them. I have to imagine Donny was on board pretty immediately. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

So, I used to watch The Girls Next Door (hangs head in shame), and wondered if T-Pain was the rapper that Kendra was such good friends with?  I tried googling that last night but couldn't find an answer.  (Not that I tried very hard.)

Weird Al is one of my heros in life.  

I too share that secret shame, lol. I think her friend is Too $hort. That's who immediately came to my mind, I could be wrong, it's been awhile.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Izzy85 said:

I too share that secret shame, lol. I think her friend is Too $hort. That's who immediately came to my mind, I could be wrong, it's been awhile.

Lol, Too $hort performed the theme song for Kendra's Show. My secret shame is that the theme song still randomly pops up in my head.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

I wish the Rabbit had stayed instead of the Monster.

I do too. Donny and Joey's career set backs were just as real as T Pains. Only they aren't using those in their clue packages.

If T Pains struggles are about his use of  auto tune then he brought those on himself. Donny and Joey were not taken seriously because they were in boy bands and were teen heart throbs. Not much they could do about that.

• Love 3

I found this interview with Joey Fatone below. He said that the singing is live and they only get one shot. 

Did the mask affect your ability to sing?
Fatone: We have inner monitors which are like headphones and we’re able to, thank goodness, hear the music very clearly in there. But the funny part is we have a lavalier microphone attached to us. I had a lav on my neck and I also had a microphone. And the mic was live. What you saw was live. And we had one shot to do it. There were no retakes, there were no, oh let’s do it again, I messed up. It was just like a normal live performance. If you screw up, you screw up. That is it.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/joey-fatone-reveals-apos-nsync-202058078.html

Edited by SimoneS
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Meedis said:

Heh apparently FOX doesn't have a photo of the New En Vogue instead using an older stock photo with the 4 Originals

Have you seen that photo of Patti LaBelle they keep using? It's obvious someone there isn't bothered with up to date photos.

• LOL 2

So like many of you, rap is not my genre of choice. I have heard of T-Pain, but couldn't tell you one song he sings. But last night when the monster was singing, I heard a part of that ballad that sounded very much like the song at the end of the movie "Fast 7" when Dom and Brian are driving off in different directions. So I called my son and asked him who sang that song. He said it was two guys - one white and I don't think the Monster is white and the other guy was Whiz Kalil (sp?) So I think it could be him. My previous guess was Darius Rucker but I'm not recalling any scandal or fall from grace with him.  All that being said, if that is T-Pain and this whole show was a set up for him to win, which I'm starting to think may be true because I'm sorry - the Rabbit is better than the Monster anyday (and personally I think the Lion was too) - but if this is a set up, I wont' be watching next season.

• Love 3

My wife actually correctly guessed Rumor Willis, I was impressed.  And she should not have been eliminated.  I have the feeling that if the voting was to rank the singers and not just pick your favorite, she would have been in the top two or three.  She was probably the second choice for a lot of voters but got beat out by Bee or Monster.

I keep thinking Martin Lawrence for Monster when I hear the clues, but can he sing like that?

Edited by Dobian
47 minutes ago, Popples said:

Have you seen that photo of Patti LaBelle they keep using? It's obvious someone there isn't bothered with up to date photos.

That is a good point.    Patti's photo is definitely out of date.   It does make me question a bunch of the other photos used.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:08 AM, dmeets said:

Did Mr. “seen-gurr” really criticize someone else for mispronunciation?

Since this was pointed out early in the season I have been listening for it and now I legitimately LOVE how he pronounces it and have followed his example. It's more fun to say the G twice!

12 hours ago, Izzy85 said:

Thanks @Izzy85!  I think you're correct.  I don't follow rap/hiphop at all!  (Hey, I just realized --the bunny should have sung hiphop! Perfect for a rabbit!)

Monster is not my first choice for winner, but I can see him beiing the audience's first choice with no fix involved.

I have heard the name T-Pain but can't find him in a lineup if I had to or identify any of his songs. If audience members know who he is (once was), think he is Monster, and like him or feel as if he deserves a "second" chance, I can see them voting for him just for that.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 1
On 2/20/2019 at 9:05 PM, SimoneS said:

I predicted the Lion, but thought the Peacock would also go so I really am shocked that the Rabbit was unmasked. 

I enjoyed Kenan also. We are getting two more episodes so we will be down to two finalists in episode 10.

The emojis are cute!

I wasn't shocked after his song choice - he was great but as a choice for him it was terrible because we're so used more flashy stuff with him.  It was too mellow.  I knew it would between him, Lion and Peacock.  Because lion's song was not familiar to me and Peacock's was sort of 'meh'. He needs flashy stuff too.  He really should have left the greatest showman song for his finale. 

On 2/21/2019 at 12:05 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

I think this is fixed even more than I thought it was.As soon as Nicole said she didnt like Joey's song, I knew he was leaving.

They want a Monster win, and it shows.

I think they want the monster to win because of his back story and they feel sorry for him.  However I think the Bee will win because it's obviously some music legend from back in the day. HOWEVER i think it's a greater story for the show if Monster wins because technically people wouldn't consider a rapper having such a great voice (if it is T-Pain).  Because if Bee wins then each season will be like "ok the greatest singer will win every year" and how fair is that? 

On 2/21/2019 at 3:44 AM, Eolivet said:

I like that Monster has reinvented himself week after week. It would be interesting to see them have to do "themes" like on Idol (ballad week! Broadway week! the Year You Were Born?) I enjoyed Bee until she started doing older songs -- I want to hear "Locked out of Heaven" and "Wrecking Ball" with that voice, not already-sung-well classics like "What's Love Got to Do with It" and "Natural Woman."

Peacock has a problem with song choice, too -- but it's more like ... forgettable song choice. I'd be curious if there were song choice shenanigans going on, like those that happened on Idol.

I've been Team Monster since the first week -- to me, he's the best performer, and the only one who's figured out this is basically Idol-in-masks. You can't just stand-and-sing. You have to have a progression, you can't get stuck in a box, and song choice is key. Monster for the win, for me.

Their song choices are really questionable sometimes. Like really, THAT's what you want to sing?? Some of those songs just aren't great songs to sing with while they're playing on the radio. 

On 2/21/2019 at 7:31 AM, justjen said:

But did he explain they weird tic he kept doing in his performances? 

He sort of explained it after he was unmasked. He said he was playing a part and had fun being a character. 

On 2/21/2019 at 7:40 AM, icemiser69 said:

Congratulations to all who guessed "The Lion"  and  "The Rabbit" correctly.  😃

I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone  (Robin Thick) to guess that "The Monster" might be Darius Rucker.   I had made that guess several weeks ago.  It probably isn't him, but many of the clues I think fit.

It never occurred to me that "The Peacock" might be Weird Al Yankovic.

Nah, the voice isn't Darius Rucker at all. I think it's more similar to Jamie Foxx than anyone out of their ridiculous guesses.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:54 AM, Enigma X said:

I am the new person on the forum and this may have been discussed before. What are they being judged on? Performance? Voice? Ability to fool everyone? I mean, for most the Bee is going to win on voice every time. Peacock (and Rabbit) will usually have performance in the bag. And so on.

I don't think they're judged on anything - they showed the voting screen last night and all it says is "who was your favorite performance?"  and it's likely judged on rated best to worst. 

23 hours ago, 2727 said:

If Monster really is T-Pain and is being set up for the win, I wonder how big of a letdown that would be for some viewers? Enough to put them off watching next season?

Not trying to stereotype, but I'd guess T-Pain is the least recognizable celebrity for people over 30ish or those who don't follow rap. Older viewers may also be less likely to search online for clues. It seems like a certain segment of the audience might be slightly disappointed during the winner's reveal if their only response is: "Who the heck is that?"

I kind of agree - I only know T-Pain by name.  Nothing else. And I feel like I'm fairly knowledgable about musicians. 

19 hours ago, Gel said:

Is it just me or did the Lion not sound as good as previous nights? I have always been favorably impressed with her singing, but last night both she and the Monster sounded off to me on a couple of notes.

Yea some of her high notes were off and that's when I knew she wasn't professional. But she's still really good.

19 hours ago, blackwing said:

I think it’s interesting that Nicole guessed that Lion was a “white Kelly Rowland”.  All of the others guessed African-American women that were in girl groups.  Curious as to how Nicole could tell that Rumer had a “white tone” to her voice while none of the others including professional singer Robin could tell and pretty much from the start everyone assumed it was an African-American woman.

Before Nicole said that I totally said "that's a white girl - she sounds white!" 

I was in pretty big denial that Lion was Rumor. Probably just as I was in denial that alien was Latoya  lol

And I don't want the peacock to be Donny! It would be awesome if it were NPH. 

2 hours ago, Meedis said:

That is a good point.    Patti's photo is definitely out of date.   It does make me question a bunch of the other photos used.

Something they need to fix next season is that the photos shown can be a clue about who is or isn’t in the mask. The photo they use for the correct guess is always more current. I noticed it during the Ricki Lake reveal. The photo they used of her was a recent one instead of from her talk show. 

2 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

If my theory that this is "fixed" proves true (in other words, Monster wins), I will not be watching season 2.  If I'm incorrect, than I will admit I'm wrong, take my licks, and then watch season 2.  

I’ve thought all along that whoever wins will be who is the biggest mystery for the drama of the reveal. With the Lion out I think it will be the Monster. 

I think it might not be a outright fix but that the audience and judges could be influenced.  The show runner has said it’s small audience made up of “friends and family” to eliminate leaks. The judges are probably aware of the agenda. 

13 minutes ago, gunderda said:

I wasn't shocked after his song choice - he was great but as a choice for him it was terrible because we're so used more flashy stuff with him.  It was too mellow.  I knew it would between him, Lion and Peacock.  Because lion's song was not familiar to me and Peacock's was sort of 'meh'. He needs flashy stuff too.  He really should have left the greatest showman song for his finale. 

I thought the same thing. I actually wasn’t surprised because the Peacock showed a lot of personality after his performance while the Rabbit just was annoying with his twitching.

On Joey's podcast Robin Thicke knew early on it was probably Joey but didn't want to say it and have the others take his answer when it came time for the reveal. He did say when Joey had a bit of a twang in one song it threw him off. But Joey said he did that to change it up a bit.

Again, Joey's podcast was interesting, he talked about the secrecy involved with the show and also about the live performances. When the stars managers or others were there, they had to wear masks also.

• Love 2

One thing that cracked me up in Joey's interview that I posted above is when he said that Lance Bass called after the second episode and that he knew it was him. Of course he knew! He recognized Joey's body, his mannerisms, dance moves, his voice, etc. It reminded me about the discussions we always have on the Flash forum about how ridiculous it is people who know Barry and the other superheros best don't recognize them just because they are wearing masks and suits. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, Dani said:

I think it might not be a outright fix but that the audience and judges could be influenced.  The show runner has said it’s small audience made up of “friends and family” to eliminate leaks. The judges are probably aware of the agenda. 

I read about how the audience was "friends and family" and by that I interpreted that it was friends and family of the people that work on the show (showrunners, dancers, production, cameramen, etc).  I didn't think it was the friends and family of the actual contestants, but I could be wrong.  

It'd be nice if they gave us voting percentages so we could see how close the vote is.  

My 10 year old daughter is still so sad that her Rabbit got eliminated.  I told her that I think the show is fixed so the Monster is going to win (hey, got to start them young on conspiracy theories! 🙂)  She went back and watched the first episode again and was shocked that the Unicorn ("she barely even sang 'Fight Song' and it was so weak") beat the Monster ("his costume is adorable") in their head-to-head.  "And now you're saying he's going to win?!?!?"

Yep.  I would love for Gladys to win because... it's Gladys!  But I would agree that T-Pain needs the win more and I think the show will want to prove that it's the overall package that wins, not just the best singer, and to truly provide the "wow I had no idea this guy was that good" factor.

My order of preference of winning is Bee, Monster, Peacock.  I just don't care for the air of desperation that Donny Osmond is giving off.  He said "I've been a performer my entire life" as if he were desperately trying to get the audience to vote for him because he has been a performer since he was age 5 but for some reason he desperately needs the validation.  Gladys is the Empress of Soul and she knows she is good, she doesn't need anyone to tell her she is.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I read about how the audience was "friends and family" and by that I interpreted that it was friends and family of the people that work on the show (showrunners, dancers, production, cameramen, etc).  I didn't think it was the friends and family of the actual contestants, but I could be wrong.  

That’s the way I interpreted it too. That’s why I think it might not be a fix but that votes are heavily influenced by the shows agenda. The audience could not know the specific details about who the celebrities are and still know that the show runners are favoring certain contestants. 

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

My 10 year old daughter is still so sad that her Rabbit got eliminated.  I told her that I think the show is fixed so the Monster is going to win (hey, got to start them young on conspiracy theories! 🙂)  She went back and watched the first episode again and was shocked that the Unicorn ("she barely even sang 'Fight Song' and it was so weak") beat the Monster ("his costume is adorable") in their head-to-head.  "And now you're saying he's going to win?!?!?"

I’ve suspected the Monster might win since the first episode when the first shot of the show is a slow pan of him standing at the entrance to a cave. That introduction also included is proformance of “Stay With Me” and Jenny crying over it. The Lion is the only other contestant who sings in that intro. They started trying to convince everyone how amazing the Monster is very early. 

Edited by Guest
5 hours ago, llewis823 said:

But last night when the monster was singing, I heard a part of that ballad that sounded very much like the song at the end of the movie "Fast 7" when Dom and Brian are driving off in different directions. So I called my son and asked him who sang that song. He said it was two guys - one white and I don't think the Monster is white and the other guy was Whiz Kalil (sp?) So I think it could be him.

I don't know if Wiz Khalifa is that good of a singer. In 'See You Again' from Furious 7, it was Charlie Puth (the white guy) that sang, and Wiz did the rap parts. Also, Wiz is 6' 4" and I don't think Monster is that tall.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

They have to work within a budget for song rights.

I hadn't considered this. The contestants probably are limited by the costs of the rights to the song. I wonder if the show gives each a budget.

Edited by SimoneS
42 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

They have to work within a budget for song rights.

Joey mentioned that they have to pick songs that they have never ever done before, so people cant google or other things to know who they are. And for Joey, Donny and Gladys that doesnt leave many songs to pick from.

I dont think the audience is friends and family of the masked singers. As, I mentioned, anyone that might  be associated or know to the singers had to wear masks also. So, the whole audience weren't wearing masks so they must have been associates of the show not the singers.

Oh, just an example, Joey wanted to do Mustang Sally, a song he likes and is comfortable doing. He was told no, people might know him from doing that previously.

2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

One thing that cracked me up in Joey's interview that I posted above is when he said that Lance Bass called after the second episode and that he knew it was him. Of course he knew! He recognized Joey's body, his mannerisms, dance moves, his voice, etc. It reminded me about the discussions we always have on the Flash forum about how ridiculous it is people who know Barry and the other superheros best don't recognize them just because they are wearing masks and suits. 

I was reading on Twitter and the Joey die-hard fans knew instantly that it was him too.  I immediately knew it was someone from N'Sync because of his clues in the very first package.  But I thought it was JC because the rabbit looked too small for Joey (and now after listening to the pod case I know why) 

2 hours ago, Dani said:

I’ve suspected the Monster might win since the first episode when the first shot of the show is a slow pan of him standing at the entrance to a cave. That introduction also included is proformance of “Stay With Me” and Jenny crying over it. The Lion is the only other contestant who sings in that intro. They started trying to convince everyone how amazing the Monster is very early. 

And he almost got knocked off the very first episode! It would be a major come-back win.

21 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

There is a YT video of Joey singing My Girl so the show must have missed that one.

I was confused about that too. On the podcast he says they couldn't do songs they have done before yet then goes on to say that there are videos and recordings of him doing My Girl - so that didn't make much sense. 

I don’t get why they would fix the show for Monster or anyone else. It’s not like DWTS where half the contestants are employees of the network. 

I think people like Monster because he seems genuine and doesn’t take the show too seriously like Osmond does. As for Gladys, I still have no idea why she is competing in a bee costume. She definitely doesn’t need to win this show.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, gunderda said:

I immediately knew it was someone from N'Sync because of his clues in the very first package.  But I thought it was JC because the rabbit looked too small for Joey (and now after listening to the pod case I know why) 

Do tell. I guessed the rabbit head was designed to make him look taller and his mouth was way lower than we thought or his shoes were built higher than usual.  

Edited by Bucket
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bucket said:

Do tell. I guessed the rabbit head was designed to make him look taller and his mouth was way lower than we thought or his shoes were built higher than usual.  

He said that he had either a girdle, or corset or whatever cinching him in, and he thanked Robin Thicke (sarcastically) for saying, "It can't be Joey Fatone cuz this guy's skinny!"

• LOL 2

I'm actually shocked by the T-Pain "fix" insinuations. Like why would the show be fixed for T-Pain of all people? It's my first time here (hi!) and the first time I've come across such a suggestion.

Anyway, I personally love Monster and as someone who only knows T-Pain's autotuned songs, I'm surprised that he can actually sing and think he's a great example of what the show is really about. 

I've enjoyed Lion's performances but thought last night was her weakest so it was fitting that she left. I think if she'd switched her performances around and sung that earlier, she'd be in the finale. 

• Love 9
On 2/21/2019 at 5:29 PM, blackwing said:

, And i

I think it’s interesting that Nicole guessed that Lion was a “white Kelly Rowland”.  All of the others guessed African-American women that were in girl groups.  Curious as to how Nicole could tell that Rumer had a “white tone” to her voice while none of the others including professional singer Robin could tell and pretty much from the start everyone assumed it was an African-American woman.

When Rumer was on Empire, there was some dialog about how her character didn’t sing like a white girl. I’ve heard so many times that a Caucasian singer “sounds black” but no one ever seems to say why.

I understand that the judges were trying to guess the race of the Lion because it narrows the possibilities, but in other contexts...maybe we could just admit that you can’t reliably tell a person’s race from their voice and just enjoy the singing. I like Adele and Tina Turner, and I can’t say what they sound like except themselves.

I was surprised how good of a singer Rumer was when I saw her on Empire. I hope this show gives her more musical opportunities. I’d love to see her in a live TV musical if they ever do one again after Rent.

• Love 2
On 2/20/2019 at 11:45 PM, possibilities said:

II have an issue with Monster. He keeps talking about how he hit rock bottom and people turned away from him, and he wants to be redeemed. But he never says anything about having regretted whatever it was people didn't like that he did.

On 2/21/2019 at 10:09 PM, MsJamieDornan said:

If T Pains struggles are about his use of  auto tune then he brought those on himself. Donny and Joey were not taken seriously because they were in boy bands and were teen heart throbs. Not much they could do about that.

If indeed the clues about "hitting rock bottom" are from T-Pain daring to use auto-tune (the HORROR!!!) thgen he has nothing to regret, and in a genre filled with drug-dealers, wife-beaters and other scum who still make hit records [Side note -- R Kelly was FINALLY arrested for sexuial abuse -- hopefully this time the jurors won't be morons], using autotune isn't something "brought on by himself".

• Love 7
5 hours ago, GreyBunny said:

*sigh* I really want Bee to do "Midnight Train to Georgia" as her finale song. It's the final episode so it wouldn't matter.

This would be amazing.  They have an entire two hours to fill, even after she gets unmasked, whether she is or is not the winner, I'd love for her to sing her signature song.  It's her own song so I don't see why there'd be any rights issues.

22 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

On Joey's podcast Robin Thicke knew early on it was probably Joey but didn't want to say it and have the others take his answer when it came time for the reveal. He did say when Joey had a bit of a twang in one song it threw him off. But Joey said he did that to change it up a bit.

Again, Joey's podcast was interesting, he talked about the secrecy involved with the show and also about the live performances. When the stars managers or others were there, they had to wear masks also.

He also had to wear the mask when rehearsing with the back up dancers.

19 hours ago, gunderda said:

II was confused about that too. On the podcast he says they couldn't do songs they have done before yet then goes on to say that there are videos and recordings of him doing My Girl - so that didn't make much sense. 

Me too.

• Love 2

True, but if that's all he did, it's not the kind of crime I can't forgive, and showing he can sing without it is a pretty good way to redemption.

No, there is certainly nothing wrong with it. I just dont think that should be the redemption, poor me story he is using. JMO. They've all had stories they could use.

Isn’t the entire thing filmed and done already? Like, hasn’t a winner been chosen and they’re just airing them all one week at a time? I was under the impression that they were all filmed during one time period prior to the show airing for the first time.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, truebluesmoky said:

Isn’t the entire thing filmed and done already? Like, hasn’t a winner been chosen and they’re just airing them all one week at a time? I was under the impression that they were all filmed during one time period prior to the show airing for the first time.

Yes, the whole thing was filmed last fall.