Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Can't Unring That Bell

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Connor, who is in hot water with the hospital's Oversight Committee, handles a gunshot victim that has unexpected ties to Halstead. Maggie feels guilty about the return of a former patient. Charles has an awkward first date.

My boyfriend Dr. Abrams is da MAN! 😏 He pwned Will!

Good to see Latham if only for a minute.

I didn’t understand the deal with the man who was getting the chest compressions just to stay alive (remember to do chest compressions to the rhythm of Stayin’ Alive!). Could our resident forum doctor explain?

• Love 7

Ha ha this show is hilarious and not in a good way.

Did Rhodes actually accuse her of deliberately getting herself cut with a scalpel when operating on a HIV patient? Seriously, I am starting to think that the writers come to this board to get ideas. 

So ladies and gents, throw out your wildest and craziest storylines & you to can sit back & watch the hapless crew of Chicago Med bring it to life.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Reality police said:

Well, I was wrong. I thought it would take three episodes for the gun to show up. What do I know?

the line of dialogue that popped into my head when Jay talked to his brother was "well that didn't take long." I honestly wish that's what Will had said in response.

• Love 4

Thank goodness there was no Choi/April drama this week (yay!) and she stopped short of being judgmental with Maggie.   Speaking of Maggie, - OK, we get it but her reasoning/logic was absurd and plain silly even if it was postured as a selfless and noble act.  She really didn't know this woman other than she lived down the street/blocks away when they were growing up. Just thought it was a poor and unnecessary storyline.

Dr. Charles and Jackie (enabling mother) - who didn't see Brit's relapse coming?   BTW, was this Dr. Charles/Jackie's first date?   Guess it will be their last!

Halstead - who didn't know that the minute Jay walked in, it was Halstead's stolen gun involved in the shooting.   Then Halstead continually makes poor decisions with his patients--getting lucky with Gabriel--after his interference--and possibly, in his preoccupation with Gabriel, missed something with Patrick resulting in his death?   Halstead's irrational behavior has gotten him into trouble previously and happy Sam called him out on it.

Conner and Ava - I'm not sure if the writers have FINALLY listened to the fans and perhaps this is her swan song.   I was hoping Conner wouldn't feel indebted to her after the "accident" in the OR but yeah, crazy, obsessed Ava--she is a psycho if his instincts are correct.  Hope he holds firm or we find out if she did/did not sleep with the father.  This storyline has gone on too long as well and it's not that interesting (or maybe I just loathe Ava and want her gone!)   And why does Conner seem to attract women who have some type of mental problem, LOL

Mr. Davis back on the scene; will we end up having some type of triangle after all?   Certainly hope not!   Halstead looks and acts like some whiny, needy kid.

S1-2 were good, interesting even compelling storylines.  I'm not certain if the showrunner/writer(s) left but the last couple of seasons have been horrendous.   I don't know why they brought in the hospital administrator/CEO (pregnant lady); Goodwin was doing a fantastic job; was this just for tension>?   They get rid of Sarah and replace her with the obnoxious blonde and get rid of Noah (haven't seen him for this season but no great loss) and replace him with the other resident.  Doris who's been there since the beginning is hit and miss--one minute it seems like they're gong to develop her character, then you don't see her for weeks.  

I wonder if the writers are reading this board, LOL.   They need some new ideas that will keep the fans invested.    Otherwise, I think they've painted themselves into a corner and don't know how to get out!  If they continue at this rate, Chicago Med shouldn't be renewed for another season.   It's become painful (for me) to watch.  

Edited by cathmed
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

My boyfriend Dr. Abrams is da MAN! 😏 He pwned Will!

Good to see Latham if only for a minute.

I didn’t understand the deal with the man who was getting the chest compressions just to stay alive (remember to do chest compressions to the rhythm of Stayin’ Alive!). Could our resident forum doctor explain?

I was also confused. I've not seen that scenario from years of watching ER.

I did have an ER flashback when drug addicted doctor ran off with a pic line in--was it Susan who got in trouble for putting in a line for a heroin addict? someone did

2 hours ago, Guildford said:

Ha ha this show is hilarious and not in a good way.

Did Rhodes actually accuse her of deliberately getting herself cut with a scalpel when operating on a HIV patient? Seriously, I am starting to think that the writers come to this board to get ideas. 

So ladies and gents, throw out your wildest and craziest storylines & you to can sit back & watch the hapless crew of Chicago Med bring it to life.

Well, they did not take me up on my offer from last season: turn this into a Psych Dr solving mysteries show. It would be hilarious and actually more realistic than this show has become.

• Love 2

Poor Conner. it looks like they are giving him another girlfriend with mental problems and this one is obsessed with him.

The storyline would redeem itself just a bit if it turns out she actually did none of these things, he's read her wrong, etc. But her as psycho obsessed going to extreme lengths to keep him linked to her is over the top and annoying. I'm not an Ava fan but I'd prefer just normal storylines about normal-ish people who sometimes make mistakes, etc. Not psycho obsessed people.

Will jumping to conclusions when Nat hugged the dad was silly. It even looked like a very "supportive  not romantic' type hug. chill out a minute.

this show has much better characters around the edges--Dr. Latham and Sam the neuro guy are much more fun to see than the main characters. Please show, rework your show to be more of an ER-type ensemble with strong personalities popping up on different cases in interesting ways.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, cathmed said:

Thank goodness there was no Choi/April drama this week (yay!) and she stopped short of being judgmental with Maggie.

But April did manage to shoot one of her dead-eyed, judgmental looks at Maggie, I think it was  when she was talking about donating her kidney.  

• Love 3

It wouldn't surprise me if Ava is gaslighting Connor. I've always felt she was more invested than him in them. He doesn't seem to trust or love her. Heck, he doesn't even seem to actually like her plus Ava's "I would do anything for you, Connor" set off my red flags especially since Connor seems to cringe at her declarations.

• Love 7

I groaned at the Will Halstead story in this one. Season 1 WH redux with emphasis. So he hasn't grown at all in these last few years of being attending? It seemed beyond credulity when he went to Sam Abrams to try and stop him from doing the surgery, just as he was scrubbing for it, and after he was the one who brought the situation on. Oh yeah, and then they grafted on the unlikely happy ending for good measure.

• Love 3

I LOL'd when the neuro guy told Will:  "Go back to the ER and put a bandaid on someone" 

and then again when he said to him:

"You know, your behavior today has been erratic, irrational, and impulsive, hardly qualities one wants to see in a physician. You need to get your head out of your ass."

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, preeya said:

I LOL'd when the neuro guy told Will:  "Go back to the ER and put a bandaid on someone" 

"You know, your behavior today has been erratic, irrational, and impulsive, hardly qualities one wants to see in a physician. You need to get your head out of your ass."

Seriously, I think Neuro doctor was the single redeeming character for this episode. I always like his little snippets. He is very blunt but not actually mean and he's usually right! He just seems like he's had enough of all this sh*t (and as a viewer of this show, I can relate). And I also enjoy the very deadpanned way the actor delivers these lines.

• Love 17
12 hours ago, preeya said:

The only good thing about the episode. Or maybe the only good thing about the whole show

Edited by alexvillage
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Once again Connor has attracted a woman who has issues. At least his last girlfriend inadvertently contracted a bug which caused her psychosis. This one is just straight up in need of a vacation in the psych ward. Ava and crazy doc from Fire need to get together and go live happily ever after in a secure facility. I dislike Ava more than I dislike Natalie, so hopefully this is the last we see of her. 

I know I'm alone in this, but I loved Will snapping at her twice this episode.  The writers need to stop trying to shove a romance with these two down our throats, they're as boring as bingo on a Tuesday afternoon. Maggie's reason for donating a kidney, was just misguided. You can't just give away an organ, because you feel guilty about not catching something earlier.  That was a Will move, writers keep your characters straight. 

Edited by spunky
Typo
  • Love 9
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:08 AM, spunky said:

Once again Connor has attracted a woman who has issues. At least his last girlfriend inadvertently contracted a bug which caused her psychosis. This one is just straight up in need of a vacation in the psych ward. Ava and crazy doc from Fire need to get together and go live happily ever after in a secure facility. I dislike Ava more than I dislike Natalie, so hopefully this is the last we see of her. 

What issues? So far, everything the writers have put forth with Ava's behavior is just circumstantial in order to keep the angst ongoing between them. IMO. Connor keeps pointing indirectly toward Ava's guilt over her actions, but without any proof.  Connor was a control freak with the last girlfriend Robin and he had plenty of doubts as well about her actions/motives as she worked through her illness.

Edited by VinceW
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, VinceW said:

What issues? So far, everything the writers have put forth with AVA's behavior is just circumstantial in order to keep the angst ongoing between them. IMO. Connor keeps pointing indirectly toward AVA's guilt about something, but without any proof.  Connor was a control freak with the last girlfriend Robin and he had plenty of doubts as well about her actions/motives as she worked through her illness.

If anyone seems like they need some psychological help it's Connor. Dude is seriously obsessed with himself. It's getting kinda creepy.

Ava's still a weird, unlikeable character, not that its unusual for this show, they are all varying degrees of unlikeable but Connor is just starting to lose control of the bats in his attic. 

• Love 5

This episode had me cringing. Will is being an douche and going back to his God complex to save everyone, again. He jumps down Natalie for tying to comfort him, and then gets jealous when he sees Natalie comforting a patient, and whines that he needs someone too. Which is it Will? You don't want her to comfort you, or you need her? And this after you lied to her about the gun, and she breaks off the engagement. He's acting like a child. Maybe it would be best if Natalie stays away from him. He's going down the possessive route.

This whole crap between Connor and Ava is getting tired. He's making a lot of assumptions without any proof behind them. Just a lot of circumstantial stuff. And I find it hard to believe that a woman, no matter, how badly she wants a man, would put herself at risk of contracting HIV on purpose. That is potentially life-changing.

Maggie's reasoning for wanting to save her friend didn't make sense either. She just has to save this one woman because she knew her growing up. She can't help all her patients, but she can help this one? Sharon's right in the fact that Maggie's only doing this because of guilt. If Maggie had admitted her right away, and she still got sepsis, would she have still wanted to donate her kidney? And rather it be a friend or a family member, if they work in a profession that can breed more diseases, like being a prostitute, or look to be on drug abusers, I would not even consider donating an organ to them due to the risk that it will be wasted.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, WinJet0819 said:

Maggie's reasoning for wanting to save her friend didn't make sense either. She just has to save this one woman because she knew her growing up. She can't help all her patients, but she can help this one? Sharon's right in the fact that Maggie's only doing this because of guilt.

Maggie said that they grew up up a couple of blocks apart, and what a difference those blocks make.

I think there was some guilt involved in terms of making her wait but there was the guilt of "there but for the grace of God go I" in the words of a psychologist friend about a woman she was treating.  It seems like Maggie grew up in a supportive family and got the opportunity to be a nurse and have a good career, while the patient didn't

But I also believe that Maggie when she said that there are so many people she can't help, here is one who she can. Live donating a kidney is huge but it's also not such a big deal, may people do it. Actor and writer Michael Healey donated to a complete stranger.  Maggie donating a kidney so that the woman wouldn't die gets a thumbs up from me.

And that's about the only storyline on the show I liked. Natalie needs relationship therapy while Will needs major therapy and probably should be volunteering for Doctors Without Borders for a while to get away. 

I don't know what they are going for with Connor and Ava --  either he's entering into a paranoid state or she's going to start boilding bunnies any day now.  What a stupid direction for a 3 year story arc.

• Love 3
On 2/14/2019 at 12:46 AM, LittleIggy said:

Aside from it being dramatic shorthand to show Will countertransferring his guilt over the gunshot boy, I THINK what they were going for was Will saying that they were attempting to keep his brain oxygenated to buy time to restore a rhythm.  Which is the general goal of CPR, but he was first PEA (Pulseless Electrical Activity, where the heart fires but doesn't actually beat) and then asystole (nothing happening at all), which are extremely difficult to recover from.  Especially since they only gave on amp of epi that I counted.  I was honestly utterly confused by that entire subplot.

I often hate the way medical dramas demonstrate CPR.  For one thing, it doesn't work nearly as well as shows would have you believe.  For another, it's so much more violent than they depict.

Credit at least for remembering that you can't shock either PEA or asystole.

• Love 5
On 2/14/2019 at 6:49 AM, Guildford said:

Did Rhodes actually accuse her of deliberately getting herself cut with a scalpel when operating on a HIV patient?

They sort of implied that in the previous episode.  The head nurse who was in the surgery with them, said something to him like, she's usually more cautious that that, how weird that she'd get stabbed.  So I think the implication was that she's cuckoo for cocoapuffs and willingly got herself stabbed to make him feel guilty and take her back.  

• Love 4
On 2/18/2019 at 7:26 AM, Perkie said:

They sort of implied that in the previous episode.  The head nurse who was in the surgery with them, said something to him like, she's usually more cautious that that, how weird that she'd get stabbed.  So I think the implication was that she's cuckoo for cocoapuffs and willingly got herself stabbed to make him feel guilty and take her back.  

Just watched this episode last night. I remember that from the previous episode, and I immediately thought she faked being "stabbed"--she screams "ow!" and leaves the scene, probably sticking herself with a clean scalpel after taking off the bloody glove (blood from the patient, not from her) to have an injury.

But I sure hope Ava stays, as Mr MML and I love repeating her lines, mimicking her accent and her unmoving lips. I would miss that!

• Love 2
On 2/19/2019 at 6:05 PM, MakeMeLaugh said:

mimicking her accent and her unmoving lips.

No offense to the actress but oy vey, I have such a hard time understanding what she's saying.  

Ava:  "Connor mmmmmmmm, didn't sleep with mmmmmmmmm ather mmmmmmmmmmm.  

Me:  Wuh?  Where the closed captioned button.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 2/15/2019 at 5:56 AM, Sarnia said:

Seriously, I think Neuro doctor was the single redeeming character for this episode. I always like his little snippets. He is very blunt but not actually mean and he's usually right! He just seems like he's had enough of all this sh*t (and as a viewer of this show, I can relate). And I also enjoy the very deadpanned way the actor delivers these lines.

I have always considered him the best character on this show. I kind of want more scenes with him, but with these writers, I just assume they'll destroy his character like they have with everyone else.

• Love 5

I think I need an intervention. I can't stop hate watching this show on Netflix. I stopped watching it on NBC a couple of years ago, but I just started watching again from Season 1. It's so much worse bingeing it. The crappy repetitiveness of the writing is much more apparent.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1