Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: All Together Now

• Start Topic

40 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you.  However, the people that were voting in the audience looked to be for the most part incredibly young. 

To clarify, I wasn't talking about the live/studio audience, but rather the television audience, in terms of the risk for the show overall. From my perspective, the live audience is there just for show, and so they probably are younger than the TV audience would be. I'm pretty sure the entire sequence of the performances and so forth was done keeping in mind that it's intended for viewing by a TV audience well after the competition is over and the last performer standing has been unmasked. The studio audience is probably given instructions on when to clap, gasp in faux amazement, and so forth. I agree that there's some risk if the studio audience doesn't know some of the older songs, but that's why the judges' votes count for 50%. 

I share your experience with watching music from earlier decades on YouTube and seeing the comments from people who are aware of the song only through its use in movies or being covered by someone more current, etc. On this show, for example, at least twice now when they've shown the title of the song being performed, the artist has been listed not as the original artist but as a more current artist who did a cover of the song. When the Lion did California Dreamin', it was Sia listed as the artist instead of the Mamas and Papas. I don't remember which other song had the same choice made regarding who was listed as the artist, but I remember being slightly irritated by it. Presumably the performer on the show is doing the song more in the style of the artist who covered it recently, but it still grates a bit to see a song credited to performer A when the song was written and was a hit for performer B. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I wonder if it is a huge mistake to be singing older songs.  The music of the 80s is totally different than the current era.  Even if the critters and insect sing the music well, could it be the song itself that gets the "masked one" booted?

I think the bee singing a song from the 80s was an unnecessary risk, even though I do like that song.

I agree with you particularly since the celebs are in this more for the exposure than for the win. I think having established singers perform outside there normal area is one of the big appeals once most of the identities are known.

It was a great performance of “What’s love got to do with it” but it was expected and minimizes the impact to some extent. On the other hand hearing Gladys Knight sing “Wrecking Ball” was completely unexpected and changes the way that I look at her. 

I think it’s also a big part of the appeal of the Monster. The Rabbit and Peacock need to careful about getting in to a rut stylistically. 

I thought monster's choice was bad. I mean, yes, I love Joan Jett's version, but it's not a song that shows a lot of range. It's a song you can belt out in karaoke. While he did it well it wasn't something I think really marked an achievement. Tommy Chong could sing I love Rock n Roll.

• Love 1