Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: All Together Now

• Start Topic

Yes! The Alien was LaToya! I knew it! It was her turn to go so it was fair that she was unmasked. 

Other than the Bee who brought her A game as per usual and the Lion, I was underwhelmed by the other performances. 

Gladys rocked, "What's Love Got To Do With it." She did an amazing Tina Turner and only few singers can pull that off. I loved judges getting into her performance and JB Smoove hitting on Gladys. He is such a fool! Hilarious.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

Awww I am sad that LaToya is out.  She had such a good attitude and she really did sing pretty well the past two weeks.  However I get that she’s the only nonprofessional so it was her time to go.

Gladys was awesome and the Lion was good.  But I found Rabbit and Peacock really boring.  Poor song choices and just not interesting.  

20 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

New to the party for this show.  Question, do the singers sing live through the mask?  Also, I guess their singing is auto tuned?

Presumably they are actually singing through the mask.  I would say they are not autotuned otherwise Tommy Chong and Antonio Brown and Tori Spelling would have sounded a lot better.

I want Monster and Peacock out next week, leaving a final three of Bee, Lion and Rabbit.  Gladys for the win!

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Gladys was awesome and the Lion was good.  But I found Rabbit and Peacock really boring.  Poor song choices and just not interesting.  

I thought Rabbit, Peacock and Monster didn't have good song choices this week  The Lion was surprisingly good.

There are going to be some tough choices from here on out.  At first I thought Lion would go out next week, but I'm not so sure now. 

• Love 2

I don't watch Empire and I didn't know that Rumor Willis had steady work.  The way it is for me, Rumor could take off the mask and I would not recognize her. She is known as a famous daughter, I don't find her famous enough to care if it's her. 

I don't know anything about NSync. I was never into boy bands. I would recognize Nick Lashay or Lance Bass if one of them was under the mask. That's my limit of recognition on boy bands. 

The Peacock sounds like Donny Osmond. 

Monster is from the south and said it wasn't safe to go out. I'm thinking that he was a child during the Georgia child abductions. So maybe he's about 45 or so. I think he golfs from the teeing off comment. I can't remember any of the other clues he has given so far. 

The bee mentioned every song by women other than Gladys Knight. 

The posters here guessed Latoya Jackson several weeks ago. 

58 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

The bee mentioned every song by women other than Gladys Knight. 

She mentioned Superwoman which was a Gladys Knight song. 

1 hour ago, chi-girl said:

I thought Rabbit, Peacock and Monster didn't have good song choices this week  The Lion was surprisingly good.

There are going to be some tough choices from here on out.  At first I thought Lion would go out next week, but I'm not so sure now. 

You can really make an argument for any of them to make the final. The only thing I am certain of is that the Bee will be in the final. 

4 hours ago, mtlchick said:

If boy bands fans did not figure out the "puppet master/marionette"  for the Rabbit was a neon sign that yelled "IT'S NO STRINGS ATTACHED BY N SYNC!", then fan cards are going to be revoked.  

Boy band fans know who it is, the judges are pretending they dont know.

• Love 8

I have no idea who JB Smoove is, but he must have had some good stuff in that cup glued to his hand, because he appeared to be drunk. He added nothing to the show and was so annoying. 

The Alien's clue package actually said "est. 1956" and none of the panel picked up on it. 

I think the panel knows who all of the singers are. They pretend to deliberate and then one of them pulls the right name out of thin air. And make stupid guesses like Sofia Richie and Paula Abdul.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Boy band fans know who it is, the judges are pretending they dont know.

Even up to last night people the Facebook groups I'm in still thought it was an NKOTB member to the point they said "I know what Donnie Wahlberg or Joey McIntyre sound like!"  The Rabbit saying he has 17 tattoos finally eliminated them.  The only other boy bander that would fit would be AJ from Backstreet Boys but he grew up in Florida.  

• Love 2

Well I had LaToya Jackson as the Alien since night one. I’m positive Bee is my girl, Ms. Gladys Knight. I’m positive Peacock is Donny Osmond. I’m thinking Rabbit is Justin Timberlake. Now, here are my crazy predictions. Lion is Ashley Judd and I have no idea why I say that. Monster..until last night’s episode, I was thinking Eminem. but now I’m thinking Bobby Brown.  I’m so happy this show is renewed. My family and I are having a ball with it.

• Love 2

Happy Belly, no disrespect to you (this is all in good fun), but why in God's name would you think Lion is Ashley Judd?  The voice is totally different and none of the clues would go with Ashley Judd.   At this point it's so obvious from the voice and clues  that Lion is Rumer Willis that it isn't really a game trying to figure it out any more.   And again, no disrespect to all the Lion fans, but I really don't see why she is "all that".  She is an ok singer; one of the better ones on this show, but she just stands there (which is ok for cabaret singers, because that's what they do) but kind of boring on this show.  I guess she lets the costume do the eye thing for her - LOL.   And my personal opinion is that the only other person on this show who can stand up to Gladys Knight in ability is Donny Osmond.  I've never been a fan of his, but I've got some new found respect for him after watching this show.  

And finally, if Monster wins this show over Bee, (or even Peacock)  somebody is not basing the winner on singing ability.   If the guy in the monster getup was at the local karaoke bar on a Friday night, he'd probably win the prize, but against singers like Gladys Knight and Donny Osmond, no fricking way!  

P.S. - I STILL think it's fixed - I'm still thinking Lion, but getting nervous that Monster in his cutesy appealing to the child in everybody costume may be the winner.   

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

Happy Belly, no disrespect to you (this is all in good fun), but why in God's name would you think Lion is Ashley Judd?  The voice is totally different and none of the clues would go with Ashley Judd.   At this point it's so obvious from the voice and clues  that Lion is Rumer Willis that it isn't really a game trying to figure it out any more.   And again, no disrespect to all the Lion fans, but I really don't see why she is "all that".  She is an ok singer; one of the better ones on this show, but she just stands there (which is ok for cabaret singers, because that's what they do) but kind of boring on this show.  I guess she lets the costume do the eye thing for her - LOL.   And my personal opinion is that the only other person on this show who can stand up to Gladys Knight in ability is Donny Osmond.  I've never been a fan of his, but I've got some new found respect for him after watching this show.  

And finally, if Monster wins this show over Bee, (or even Peacock)  somebody is not basing the winner on singing ability.   If the guy in the monster getup was at the local karaoke bar on a Friday night, he'd probably win the prize, but against singers like Gladys Knight and Donny Osmond, no fricking way!  

P.S. - I STILL think it's fixed - I'm still thinking Lion, but getting nervous that Monster in his cutesy appealing to the child in everybody costume may be the winner.   

I agree with you, I think the Lion is very overrated.  She is a decent singer but she just stands there and belts out songs in her husky voice.  I think there's likely the same criticism of the Bee as well.  Not sure how much of the audience knows it is Gladys Knight but if they didn't I could see how they would find her performance boring.

On voice alone, nobody holds a candle to the legendary Gladys Knight and she should win.  On performance, I'd give it to the Rabbit.  My 10 year old daughter loves the Rabbit, she loves his dance moves.  On overall package, I could see the argument for the Peacock... good voice second only to Gladys and good showmanship.

However, I do think that in the end I could see Monster or Lion getting the fix and getting the win.  To show that you don't have to be the best singer, you don't have to be the best performer, but it's about overall blend of singing, performance, costume, and getting into character that makes you the most appealing.

Of the five remaining, I have no idea which two will go home.  I am concerned for the Bee.  It's obvious to me that if Robin had his way, she would win.  Robin is all about the music.  Nicole appreciates the music but also likes the performance angle.  Jenny is a ditz who just likes the Monster because she thinks he is adorable, and Ken is an attention-seeking crapshoot and will just do and say whatever he thinks will get him the most laughs.

I'd still like to know if the judge's votes have more weight than the audience.  I could easily see the Bee and the Peacock both going home next week.  Bee vs. Lion have similar performance styles (stand there and belt) but I could see people picking Lion over the Bee because of the Lion's perceived fierceness and her blingy costume.  Which doesn't seem right, Gladys could outsing Rumer 100 times out of 100.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I agree with you, I think the Lion is very overrated.  She is a decent singer but she just stands there and belts out songs in her husky voice.  I think there's likely the same criticism of the Bee as well.  Not sure how much of the audience knows it is Gladys Knight but if they didn't I could see how they would find her performance boring.

On voice alone, nobody holds a candle to the legendary Gladys Knight and she should win.  On performance, I'd give it to the Rabbit.  My 10 year old daughter loves the Rabbit, she loves his dance moves.  On overall package, I could see the argument for the Peacock... good voice second only to Gladys and good showmanship.

However, I do think that in the end I could see Monster or Lion getting the fix and getting the win.  To show that you don't have to be the best singer, you don't have to be the best performer, but it's about overall blend of singing, performance, costume, and getting into character that makes you the most appealing.

I do think that it is somewhat fixed but the format is always going to skew the vote. Are people voting for the worst singer or who they most want to see unmasked? 

The Monster and Lion are a little more of a mystery so I could see them winning for the novelty factor alone. 

9 minutes ago, Dani said:

Are people voting for the worst singer or who they most want to see unmasked? 

When they show the voting screens, the question is "Who is your favorite masked singer?" so presumably the LOWEST vote-getter is the one unmasked.

There was something tiny last night that has solidified my conviction that The Lion is Rumer Willis.  At the end of the show, when all the votes were being counted, The Lion put her hands up over her eyes like she was pantomiming "I can't watch!" and the gesture was nearly exactly the same as when Rumer Willis was playing a guest character on Hawaii 5-0 and covered her eyes so Max could surprise her at their "date" in the hospital.

I realize the gesture is simple, and pretty much just putting your hands over your eyes, but there was something in the way The Lion did it that instantly brought me back to that moment on the other show.  Which is also pretty much the only way I know who Rumer Willis is, other than just offspring of famous people.  I'm unfamiliar with her other work.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Even up to last night people the Facebook groups I'm in still thought it was an NKOTB member to the point they said "I know what Donnie Wahlberg or Joey McIntyre sound like!"  The Rabbit saying he has 17 tattoos finally eliminated them.  The only other boy bander that would fit would be AJ from Backstreet Boys but he grew up in Florida.  

I thought the Rabbit mentioned something about the Sunshine State, so that made me think of the Backstreet Boys. Did anybody else hear this information? 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sammich said:

I thought the Rabbit mentioned something about the Sunshine State, so that made me think of the Backstreet Boys. Did anybody else hear this information? 

I didn’t catch it here but there were earlier references to Florida. N’Sync was also formed in Orlando. 

12catcrazy, no offense taken since i agree its just a fun tv show. However I point out in my post when i first uttered the name Ashley Judd, I said I have no idea why I’m saying it.  Now as far as Rumer Willis goes, I know nothing about her other than the fact she’s Bruce’s daughter. I dont even know what she looks like, let alone what she sounds like, although I’m sure a quick Google search would cure my ignorance.

• Love 1

I can hear Gladys as the Bee.  Also , based upon her Super Bowl performance , it definitely looks like her body type.  One of the judges is guessing Patti Labelle which her body type does not match the Bee.

Do you think the judges are told to guess for different people just to make it more interesting? Even , if they all think the Bee is Gladys?

Ok, so I'm late to the show because I swore to myself that I wasn't going to watch it, but here I am...

My thoughts are:

The Peacock is Donny Osmond. Some of the judges think NPH, but in the first episode it said that the peacock is 5'9, and NPH is 6', so I'm sticking with it being Donny.

The Bee is Gladys Knight, even though she almost sounded like Tina Turner on this song.

The Rabbit is Joey Fatone.

Monster, I have no clue.

Lion is probably either Mel B. or one of Destiny's Child.

Alien. Holy cow, LaToya looks creepily like MJ in his later years(after all the surgeries). 

And now, after having gone back and reading previous posts, I have to say that I hope the Monster doesn't win. At this point, I think it will be between the Bee, the Rabbit, and the Peacock, based on voice and performance. The Monster and the Lion should be the double elimination, IMO.

Spoiler
Edited by marykat71702
Added something

The song choices this week did nothing to show off how good these singers are except for Lion, which seems like producer manipulation since she’s obviously the only non-professional singer. She has no stage presence and seems to slide by because of the appealing huskiness of her voice. 

JB Smoove jumping up every time he wanted to stay something makes me wonder what is in those drinks. It ain’t water!

• Love 3

The lion has a good voice but I find the vibrato pretty annoying.  

I liked La Toya's reason for wanting to be on the show (which in reality is probably - i'm a media/reality TV ho and can't stop myself.  Like most of them on here).  

22 hours ago, Happy Belly said:

Well I had LaToya Jackson as the Alien since night one. I’m positive Bee is my girl, Ms. Gladys Knight. I’m positive Peacock is Donny Osmond. I’m thinking Rabbit is Justin Timberlake. Now, here are my crazy predictions. Lion is Ashley Judd and I have no idea why I say that. Monster..until last night’s episode, I was thinking Eminem. but now I’m thinking Bobby Brown.  I’m so happy this show is renewed. My family and I are having a ball with it.

Responding to the bolded, I don't know why either but I had the same sudden thought while watching last night. I think at one point the Lion had a strong country sound and Ashley Judd just jumped into my mind.

I thought Bobby Brown for Monster once before, but I'm still leaning more towards T-Pain or even Nelly.

I'm having a lot of fun watching this show.

Gladys Knight for the win!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Alien. Holy cow, LaToya looks creepily like MJ in his later years(after all the surgeries). 

Reveal spoiler

For years, there were conspiracy theorists who insisted Michael and LaToya were the same person. 

• Love 1

I had the same thought about Ashley Judd--here are the thoughts:  The Ashley Judd=the Lion is in part because she made a reference to the Bluegrass State, and Ashley Judd is originally from Kentucky, and has a degree from the University of Kentucky.  She also sang on the "De-Lovely" soundtrack, and her mother and sister are famous in country music.  She's been active in politics, which fits one of the clues, but I don't know about the "Empire" references (maybe that's not a reference to the show.) 

Was there a reference to the "Divergent" movies?  Or Star Trek:  The Next Generation?  That would support it.  So as John Oliver would say, "It makes a lot of sense, if you don't really think about it."

When this show is good, it's because several celebrities fit.  The Internet (and having smart other people, such as the people on this board) to bounce ideas off of can make it easier, which also makes us feel smarter than the judges.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

The Peacock is Donny Osmond. Some of the judges think NPH,

Monster, I have no clue.

All respect to Neil Patrick Harris, but he can't sing like that.  His role in Dr Horrible was crafted for a singer without a lot of training and range.

I still think Monster is T-Pain (who I hadn't heard of before).  Listen to a few of his songs and you'll be convinced.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, jah1986 said:

Responding to the bolded, I don't know why either but I had the same sudden thought while watching last night. I think at one point the Lion had a strong country sound and Ashley Judd just jumped into my mind.

I thought Bobby Brown for Monster once before, but I'm still leaning more towards T-Pain or even Nelly.

I'm having a lot of fun watching this show.

Gladys Knight for the win!

I was thinking Bobby Brown for the monster too or Tracy Morgan. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

The Bee is Gladys Knight, even though she almost sounded like Tina Turner on this song.

I was so impressed by that! I really think that's a mark of a talented vocalist, the ability to impersonate other singers' styles.

I thought peacock's song choice was not good this episode. I thought monster's song choice showed off his voice in a way we hadn't ever heard before.

One of the pieces of rabbit's package, where he was about to walk into a warehouse (ostensibly to practice with his circus pals) and the lights were a low, gray-blue sparked some deep, 20-year-old memory in my brain of a boy band video, though I couldn't put my finger on which one. I ended up watching several of NSYNC's first videos from back in 1999. For a lot of "I Want You Back," they're dancing in a warehouse. I was a huge NSYNC fan, but watching the videos also made me realize how much they pushed Justin, and, to a slightly lesser extent, JC (which I 100% did not pick up on at 17), so the rabbit's whole 'stepping out from the group' thing makes even more sense now.

I loved the lion tonight. I honestly think the whole "lack of moving around the stage" thing is a result of having to wear that huge headpiece, and having very low visibility, while wearing high heels. Also, Rumer Willis was born in Kentucky, and then raised in Hailey, Idaho.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, marketdoctor said:

I had the same thought about Ashley Judd--here are the thoughts:  The Ashley Judd=the Lion is in part because she made a reference to the Bluegrass State, and Ashley Judd is originally from Kentucky, and has a degree from the University of Kentucky.  She also sang on the "De-Lovely" soundtrack, and her mother and sister are famous in country music.  She's been active in politics, which fits one of the clues, but I don't know about the "Empire" references (maybe that's not a reference to the show.) 

I agree that many of the clues could fit... except for the Hailey reference.  The Hailey, Idaho reference seems pretty specific to Rumer Willis.  As was the one about "secrets and lies" or something like that.

9 hours ago, dvr devotee said:

One of the pieces of rabbit's package, where he was about to walk into a warehouse (ostensibly to practice with his circus pals) and the lights were a low, gray-blue sparked some deep, 20-year-old memory in my brain of a boy band video, though I couldn't put my finger on which one. I ended up watching several of NSYNC's first videos from back in 1999. For a lot of "I Want You Back," they're dancing in a warehouse. I was a huge NSYNC fan, but watching the videos also made me realize how much they pushed Justin, and, to a slightly lesser extent, JC (which I 100% did not pick up on at 17), so the rabbit's whole 'stepping out from the group' thing makes even more sense now.

Honestly I had no idea that Joey Fatone could even sing.  Back in the 90s in their heyday I thought that was always the criticism about NSYNC (or NSTINK, as you will)... that only two of them could really sing.  I still have doubts as to whether Lance Bass actually sings.  As opposed to the Backstreet Boys, where all five of them can actually sing even if two of them were mostly used for background vocals with the occasional solo line.  It was obvious from the beginning that JC and Justin were the only two that really sang, and I was never a fan, I just remember watching a fair amount of TRL and being subjected to that one video over and over with Justin kneeling on the bed in his little white tank top.  I actually had thought that JC was the driving force and a better singer.  Justin Timberlake was like 15 years old, had an extremely nasally voice, and badly dyed blonde brillo pad hair.  See how that turned out for JC.  Hah.

Was it Ken who was saying "I think Joey Fatone is fatter than the Rabbit" this episode?  I know Jenny said it in one of the early episodes and they put up a picture of Joey looking really fat.  Maybe he's lost weight.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, blackwing said:

For a lot of "I Want You Back," they're dancing in a warehouse.  I was a huge NSYNC fan, but watching the videos also made me realize how much they pushed Justin, and, to a slightly lesser extent, JC (which I 100% did not pick up on at 17), so the rabbit's whole 'stepping out from the group' thing makes even more sense now.

It was Tearin' Up My Heart. 

As for who got pushed, I think JC and Justin got pushed more due to being on the Mickey Mouse Club and even though a few years had passed since then, it was still a smarter move to move them to the front as the leads and have the other 3 in the background. 

• Love 1
On 2/14/2019 at 10:42 AM, 12catcrazy said:

And finally, if Monster wins this show over Bee, (or even Peacock)  somebody is not basing the winner on singing ability.

(I will say I loved that Monster didn't change the lyrics to "I Love Rock and Roll." I find that so distracting.)

But to me, this is American Idol all over again. To me, Monster puts on a better performance than anyone -- even if his voice isn't technically the best. I could see Bee (or Peacock) getting Latoya London'ed (any oldskool Idol fans here?) To me, Rabbit is like those Idol contestants where they rely a lot on gimmicks to cover up what is likely a technically weaker voice than someone like Bee or Peacock.

I haven't even mentioned Lion, because I also find her overrated. I find her voice is inferior to Bee, and her performance/stage presence inferior to Monster and Rabbit. She's just sort of ... there. I forget her performance the moment it ends.

• Love 5

"Have you won a Grammy before?"

"Actually, I have ten."

3 with the Pips

4 solo

2 inductions into the Grammy Hall of Fame with the Pips (yes, I think you get a little trophy with this even though it's not officially a "win")

1 - ? Maybe a friend of loved one gave one to her?

1 hour ago, GreyBunny said:

"Have you won a Grammy before?"

"Actually, I have ten."

3 with the Pips

4 solo

2 inductions into the Grammy Hall of Fame with the Pips (yes, I think you get a little trophy with this even though it's not officially a "win")

1 - ? Maybe a friend of loved one gave one to her?

Nice job. I researched but do not find the Hall of Fame trophy’s. It was mentioned in another post that she might have received two Grammy’s for the album win where she was also the choir director.  

On 2/14/2019 at 8:42 AM, blackwing said:

I'd still like to know if the judge's votes have more weight than the audience.  I could easily see the Bee and the Peacock both going home next week.  Bee vs. Lion have similar performance styles (stand there and belt) but I could see people picking Lion over the Bee because of the Lion's perceived fierceness and her blingy costume.  Which doesn't seem right, Gladys could outsing Rumer 100 times out of 100.

There’s a link in the clue post to a interview with the show runner. The judges vote is 50% of the decision. 

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I wonder if it is a huge mistake to be singing older songs.  The music of the 80s is totally different than the current era.  Even if the critters and insect sing the music well, could it be the song itself that gets the "masked one" booted?

I think the bee singing a song from the 80s was an unnecessary risk, even though I do like that song.

I think it would be an even bigger risk for the show as a whole for the contestants to perform only songs from the last decade. I’m fine with listening to a mix of current songs and some older songs, but if only songs from the last decade were done, not sure how long I would continue watching just to see who is under the mask. Presumably other people in my demographic (over 40/50) feel the same. As for the singer possibly getting booted off, I believe audience votes are only half the determining factor, and the judges’ votes count for the other half. AFAIK, there’s been no official announcement on the show of exactly how the voting works, so I am going to assume the judges have a lot of discretion in deciding who stays and who goes. For example, there’s no way they would have let the Bee get knocked out before the Unicorn, no matter what the audience vote was. 

• Love 2