Type keyword(s) to search

Under the Mask: Clues and Clue Discussion

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, blackwing said:

Correct.  Patti is the "Godmother of Soul".

I don't put any value in the physical objects.  At least last year, I feel like at least a few of them were somewhat useful... I remember Donny Osmond's wig in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat".  This season they are just completely random.  Could be just about anything.  The Butterfly's Forensic Kit?  "I wanted to be a detective when I grew up".  Patti's cards?  "I love playing cards with my grandchildren."

It's just like Jenny said, "prepare to be even more confused".

The soup and her comment about it for Tree makes sense, Ana Gasteyer first acting job was in the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Dani said:

The forensic kit does make sense. Before she decided to become a professional singer Michelle Williams was a criminal justice major. 

OK, so I guess it does make sense.  But what she said about it was something like "I once had a chance to choose between LIIIIIIIIIFFFFFEEEEE.... or DEEEEEAAAATTTTHHHH!"  Which is completely baffling.  I think the physical clues should be something that is a lot more instantly identifiable with someone.  Like maybe three headbands, indicating she was part of a trio.  Not something that relates to some obscure nugget in the person's past.

4 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The soup and her comment about it for Tree makes sense, Ana Gasteyer first acting job was in the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld. 

OK, that one is a little better.  She said she owes everything she has to a bowl of soup.  But still, when people think of her, they think of her SNL skits like Delicious Dish.  Not sure how many people would even remember she was in that episode.

• Love 2

My out-of-left-field first-blush guesses:

• White Tiger: Rob Gronkowsky (from what little I've seen of him, he sounds exactly like him, and a lot of the clues line up. Plus a lot of people who know him better than I do think it's him, and I'm not afraid to bend with the crowd.)
  • Turtle: Kel Mitchell (the burgers from the clue package could refer to "Good Burger", and the surfboard could represent the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Award he won.)
  • Llama: Danny Bonaduce (pretty much the only famous disk jockey I can think off off-hand. But he did say that the costume is dressed pretty much how he dresses in real life, and that looks a lot like what Bonaduce wears IRL.)
  • Ms. Monster: Missy Elliott (I'm getting a rapper vibe from her, and "famous female rappers" is a far too short of a list to choose from. Might as well start at the top.)
  • Kangaroo: Melissa Benoist (the talk of being a "survivor", and going through tragedy this past year, brought her to mind, and her talk about "getting her superpowers back" helps point that way. The singing voice doesn't seem to match up quite right, but I haven't heard Melissa sing very much, so I don't have a lot to compare it to.)

Disclaimer: These are first impressions only, based on one song, one clue package, and a moment of interaction between the contestants and the judges. TCS Inc. reserves the right to change opinions as more information comes in. Offer void in Quebec and parts of Saskatchewan.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I don't believe llama is Drew Carey, or Howard Stern. There was a 60s feeling in the clue package, plus the glasses etc, that makes me think older. Unless there is a 60s movie reference? We've already had Tommy Chong.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, andipandi said:

I don't believe llama is Drew Carey, or Howard Stern. There was a 60s feeling in the clue package, plus the glasses etc, that makes me think older. Unless there is a 60s movie reference? We've already had Tommy Chong.

Could be Danny Bonaduce. He’s a better fit to a lot of the clues then Drew Carey. 

1 hour ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

• Kangaroo: Melissa Benoist (the talk of being a "survivor", and going through tragedy this past year, brought her to mind, and her talk about "getting her superpowers back" helps point that way. The singing voice doesn't seem to match up quite right, but I haven't heard Melissa sing very much, so I don't have a lot to compare it to.)

I don’t think it’s Melissa. I don’t follow celeb gossip, but in the package it said she was in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. I may be wrong, but I didn’t think she was doing anything that would be “wrong reasons”.  I also don’t think that sounds like her singing voice. I dint think her voice is so deep. 

15 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I don’t think it’s Melissa. I don’t follow celeb gossip, but in the package it said she was in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. I may be wrong, but I didn’t think she was doing anything that would be “wrong reasons”.  I also don’t think that sounds like her singing voice. I dint think her voice is so deep. 

I'm definitely not married to the idea. Melissa's basically a placeholder in my list, because a few of the clues seemed to line up. Besides, I have a horrible track record this early in the game. I'm more than willing to wait 'til Wednesday to make a more definitive pick.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, andipandi said:

I'm sure Lllama is not Howard Stern.  I've heard him sing (albeit, it was rockabye baby and it was sung to a cat) and that's not his voice.  I'm also not sure about Drew Carey.

27 minutes ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

I'm definitely not married to the idea. Melissa's basically a placeholder in my list, because a few of the clues seemed to line up. Besides, I have a horrible track record this early in the game. I'm more than willing to wait 'til Wednesday to make a more definitive pick.

That's where I am with Melissa...some clues line up, but the voice doesn't really match.  My guess it will be someone I've never heard of--there always seems to be a few of those each season.  Then my kids ask me who they are and when I say I don't know, I can see the disappointment in their eyes...

3 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I know for a fact that it’s Drew Carey because he mentioned Seattle Sounds, which is a soccer team that he owns.

I think it’s most likely Drew because he owns the Seattle Sounders and 23.3 matches the number of Drew Carey Show episodes. However the clues were supposed to be harder this year which is making me wonder if it could be a misdirect. 

It does sound like Drew to me but if it’s him I am going to disappointed because this episode makes it seem like the show is going downhill with the talent and the clues. I feel like I already have a very good idea of most of them with very little research. It is a huge disappointment.

Edited by Guest
1 minute ago, Dani said:

It does sound like Drew to me but if it’s him I am going to disappointed because this episode makes it seem like the show is going downhill with the talent and the clues. 

The only one I figured out from the clues was Gronk (well, the clues and Nick saying that there were 9 Super Bowls represented that night).  However, it could be possible that I just don't know the other ones up there--I knew very little about Lil Wayne.  So, just based on Gronk, I'm really disappointed with how telling the clues are.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, OtterMommy said:

The only one I figured out from the clues was Gronk (well, the clues and Nick saying that there were 9 Super Bowls represented that night).  However, it could be possible that I just don't know the other ones up there--I knew very little about Lil Wayne.  So, just based on Gronk, I'm really disappointed with how telling the clues are.

At this point I wish they would eliminate the first 2 or 3 clue videos or at least eliminate the most pointed clues. Odds are that the super fans will still recognize their favorite celeb so not immediately confirming it with clues would make the show a lot more interesting again. 

Edited by Guest

I already can't remember what anyone sang, but I like the Danny Bonaduce guess.

I can't remember who it was - was it the turtle who held up the medal and said he made a big splash? I was thinking Olympic swimmer.  

The only other DJ, I can think of, who went to Seattle, was the guy who played Frasier.  He wasn't really a DJ.  He just played one on TV.  Whatever the card clue was, it didn't have to be a joker.  It could also represent black jack or 21.  Although, Jack Black did cross my mind.  None of the other clues fit for him, but it made me think of him.  

I don't really believe that the one singer was Chaka Khan.  I don't think she was a good enough singer.  

Many of these performers generally turn out to be celebrities I never heard of or don't care about and I don't guess very well.  

• Love 2

My off-the-wall guesses are:

Llama-I get a Jack Black vibe, but could go with Drew Carey, especially since Wayne Brady was on last season... 

Ms. Monster-Missy Elliott

Kangaroo-no ideas on names, but thinking maybe a UfC fighter or female boxer from all of the fighting references.

Turtle-Agree with it probably being a boy-bander, but who knows which one

No clue on White Tiger, either, but a lot of people seem to think it's Gronk, so...?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Commando Cody said:

I already can't remember what anyone sang, but I like the Danny Bonaduce guess.

I can't remember who it was - was it the turtle who held up the medal and said he made a big splash? I was thinking Olympic swimmer.  

The only other DJ, I can think of, who went to Seattle, was the guy who played Frasier.  He wasn't really a DJ.  He just played one on TV.  Whatever the card clue was, it didn't have to be a joker.  It could also represent black jack or 21.  Although, Jack Black did cross my mind.  None of the other clues fit for him, but it made me think of him.  

I don't really believe that the one singer was Chaka Khan.  I don't think she was a good enough singer.  

Many of these performers generally turn out to be celebrities I never heard of or don't care about and I don't guess very well.  

White Tiger - Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice

Turtle - Kiss From A Rose By Seal

Llama - She Bangs by Ricky Martin

Miss Monster - Something To Talk About by Bonnie Raitt

Robot - Are You Gonna Go My Way by Lenny Kravitz

Kangaroo - Dancing On My Own by Robyn

The guy who played Frasier was Kelsey Grammer, and my guess would be Drew Carey.

5 hours ago, jah1986 said:

This first group is really stumping me. The only strong thought I have is for Miss Monster. She seems like she's older and a few notes reminded me of Chaka Khan. That's my guess for now.

Mine too. The performance made me think it was an older legend like Patti and Gladys. Also there was a 10 in the clue video which is how many Grammy’s Chaka Khan has. 

My other guesses at this point are

White Tiger- Gronk

Turtle - Jesse McCartney

Llama - most likely Drew Carey but possibly Danny Bonaduce

Kangaroo - Jordyn Woods

Edited by Guest
16 minutes ago, Dani said:

Mine too. The performance made me think it was an older legend like Patti and Gladys. Also there was a 10 in the clue video which is how many Grammy’s Chaka Khan has. 

My other guesses at this point are

White Tiger- Gronk

Turtle - Jesse McCarthy

Llama - most likely Drew Carey but possibly Danny Bonaduce

Kangaroo - Jordyn Woods

The Llama is definitely Drew Carey.

• Love 1

Miss Monster: Miley Cyrus. Nobody else has her lower range. Plus, her connection to "royalty" is that Dolly Parton is her Godmother.

Kangaroo: Tatiana Ali. Boxer.

Tiger: Jesse Ventura. Wrestler. Speaking voice is totally his.

Llama: Agree with the Drew Carey guesses! "Spinning his wheels." Plus, even singing,  the voice sounds just like him!

ETA: WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by LennieBriscoe

I knew it was Drew but I’m still irritated that it was him. The clues have been so obvious I was really hoping it was a misdirect. 

14 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Miley is not good IMO. Miss Monster is someone like Chaka Khan or Miss Elliot 

I’m nearly certain it’s Chaka Khan, aka The Queen of Funk, with 10 Grammy’s and a connection to Prince. 

14 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Kangaroo: Tatiana Ali. Boxer.

Did you mean Laila Ali? She was on the last season. 

Edited by Guest
3 minutes ago, Dani said:

I knew it was Drew but I’m still irritated that it was him. The clues have been so obvious I was really hoping it was a misdirect. 

I’m nearly certain it’s Chaka Khan, aka The Queen of Funk, with 10 Grammy’s and a connection to Prince. 

Did you mean Laila Ali? She was on the season last year. 

Yes, Laila. Serves me right that I didn't watch last year!

And your choice of Chaka Khan now makes eminent sense! 

I'm not sure if people know about this, but Rob Gronkowski appeared at a Wrestlemania where he interfered in a match for his "friend". I don't even remember who, but that would be the "go to the mat for a friend" clue.

• Love 2

Tatyana Ali played the little sister on 'Fresh Prince of Bel-Air'. She is also a singer. 

I assumed in season one, that the "singers" are contracted to stay for a certain amount of time.  Some of the players were, inexplicably, staying over better performers. 

I did not know that Drew Carey is an academy award nominated actor.  What movie was he in?

Gronk was the worst one tonight, but I figure he will go home next week. 

I have no guesses on the turtle. He will probably be someone I don't know.  Although from his first clue package, I took away medalist in swimming.  Ryan Lochte did cross my mind, but the guy is such a brain trust I wasn't sure he could pull this off.  I never got the impression he could sing either. 

On 2/4/2020 at 5:23 AM, jah1986 said:

This first group is really stumping me. The only strong thought I have is for Miss Monster. She seems like she's older and a few notes reminded me of Chaka Khan. That's my guess for now.

I also think Miss Monster is Chaka Khan.  It didn't sound like her in the first show but then I was also too busy looking at the interaction between the Monster and her.  But it sounds like her in the latest episode.

I thought Nicole pulled Academy Award out of the air when she was trying to justify her ridiculous guess of Woody Harrelson. It was something like "yes, I know he is Academy Award nominee but he started as a comic" or something. I don't remember ever hearing about an Oscar being mentioned before that.

• Love 1

The Turtle is definitely Jesse McCartney. One clue that hasn't been mentioned is that they showed Seoul on the map for his song "Beautiful Soul". 

Also the clue for the Kangaroo sitting at the same table as Leah Remini was in reference to Jada Pinkett Smith's show, Red Table Talk, where both Leah and Jordyn Woods gave big interviews - I'm convinced it's Jordyn Woods!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Taco is definitely Tom Bergeron. The VHS tapes is what sealed it for me.

Mouse is Dionne Warwick.

Taco is Bret Michaels.

Not sure about who Kitty is though.

I think you mean Banana is Bret Michaels.

• Love 1

Frog is 100% Bow Wow (aka Lil Bow Wow). 

He said it's a "frog eat frog" world, and typed CSI on a keyboard (He starred in CSI: Cyber). That's his voice, body type, and he literally grew up in the industry. I kept thinking B2K, so Omarion was a wonderful guess; but CSI tipped into Bow Wow's favor.

Kitty has me stumped, I think Mae Whitman and Vanessa Hudgens both sing like this and fit the body type. But Vanessa is definitely known as a singer. Sarah Hyland is also the same build.

10 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Mila Kunis who I've heard as a guess for Kitty also has two different colored eyes

When Sarah first got started on Modern Family, everyone referred to her as Lil Mila. I think a lot of people could find a way to make the clues fit them both. They are quite similar. 

• Love 4

The Kitty also definitely said something about a "MODERN dress" in her clip before her performance (Her voice is a little hard to understand due to the high-pitched filter they've put on it).

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 1

Taco is Tom Bergeron. This week alone his video package had journalism references (he used to be a reporter in Boston), a whoopie cushion (Whoopi Goldberg was the centre square on his version of Hollywood Squares), a dancing pose, and stars (because... well, you know).

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, SnideAsides said:

Taco is Tom Bergeron. This week alone his video package had journalism references (he used to be a reporter in Boston), a whoopie cushion (Whoopi Goldberg was the centre square on his version of Hollywood Squares), a dancing pose, and stars (because... well, you know).

I agree. The clues last week (anchor, Rubik’s cube, VHS tapes and Mr Rogers’ trolley) also pointed to him. 

6 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

The Kitty also definitely said something about a "MODERN dress" in her clip before her performance (Her voice is a little hard to understand due to the high-pitched filter they've put on it).

A modern dress for a family members ball. I think it’s Sarah Hyland. The rose and moon last week match her. 

Edited by Guest