Type keyword(s) to search

Under the Mask: Clues and Clue Discussion

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Kip Hackman said:

Pretty sure the Ladybug is Ashlee Simpson. Especially when she started singing.

That was one of my first thoughts, too. I think a lot of the suggestions are good, but they're not compatible with the level of stars that would compete on this show. Really famous singers like Taylor Swift would hardly have the time to put in the practice and recording time needed for this show. Even with the show only filming once a week, and with not every performer being on there every week, it's still a commitment that a lot of relevant singers wouldn't be able to keep. Their schedules are filled months in advance. I always think about the pool that most celeb reality shows pull from and try to go from there.

• Love 3

After watching the smackdown, I think Ladybug is Kelly Osborne. Famous family, limelight, the ham (from the episode where Sharon threw a ham at the neighbors)...And she's at that level where reality tv would be fine. She's a singer, too.

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 1

Could Ladybug be Paris Hilton? I also thought of Ashlee Simpson but she actually can sing better than Ladybug did. Kelly Osbourne makes sense too. I was also wondering about Kendall Jenner or one of the other Kardashians.

Rottweiler has GOT to be Chris Daughtry.

3 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I was going to say for the Skeleton Paul Shaffer.

I'm 100% in on this guess. Played second fiddle to Letterman for ages, was on SNL, and the kicker for me was the 4261 clue from the sneak peak. Guess how many episodes the Late Show with David Letterman aired? That's too big of a coincidence for me. 

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I'm 100% in on this guess. Played second fiddle to Letterman for ages, was on SNL, and the kicker for me was the 4261 clue from the sneak peak. Guess how many episodes the Late Show with David Letterman aired? That's too big of a coincidence for me. 

Now that makes sense for the 4261 clue.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I should have known to never side with Ken. I am on the Paul Shaffer train now.

• Love 3

Enjoyed the premiere. Really enjoying everyone's guesses and most of them make sense. My crazy guess, based on clues, for the Tree is Darlene Love. She's mostly known at a certain time of year (Christmas on Letterman). The Tree seems like a seasoned professional and one of the visual clues made me think she may be a bit older.  You're all probably right about it being AG but that was my first thought.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, jah1986 said:

Enjoyed the premiere. Really enjoying everyone's guesses and most of them make sense. My crazy guess, based on clues, for the Tree is Darlene Love. She's mostly known at a certain time of year (Christmas on Letterman). The Tree seems like a seasoned professional and one of the visual clues made me think she may be a bit older.  

I think it's her too, most of the clues fit.  Especially the emphasis on Christmas.  I think it sounds like it could be her too.  

On 9/26/2019 at 7:43 PM, mamadrama said:

After watching the smackdown, I think Ladybug is Kelly Osborne. Famous family, limelight, the ham (from the episode where Sharon threw a ham at the neighbors)...And she's at that level where reality tv would be fine. She's a singer, too.

I think so too. The bat is because of Ozzy biting the head off a bat.  It sounds like her too.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, thehepburn said:

I think blue roses are the most important clue to Rottweiler because it's been referenced twice for him so far. You see blue roses in his intro package and he says "roses are blue" in the short clue video.

Me too. That makes me think it could be Chris Daughtry who has a blue rose tattooed on his arm. 

The pigskin and fantasy championship ring makes me wonder about an actor who played a football player like James Van Der Beek or Scott Porter. 

Edited by Guest
On 9/26/2019 at 2:19 PM, Riplet68 said:

i know she wouldn’t do this, but the way butterfly walked off stage just screamed Tina Turner

Tina is still recovering from a kidney transplant. She is not healthy enough to be on the show. 

• Love 3

OK, I am convinced that Rottweiler is Daughtry and Skeleton is Paul Schaeffer.

Is there any chance that Ladybug is Florence Henderson? I can't get over the use of the Brady Bunch grid. Also, the bridge might be a reference that her TV husband was an architect.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, thehepburn said:

Is there any chance that Ladybug is Florence Henderson? I can't get over the use of the Brady Bunch grid. Also, the bridge might be a reference that her TV husband was an architect.

No, she died in 2016. 

I think Christmas Tree is Darlene Love. She mentioned something about being known once a year or something like that.   Skeleton could be Paul Shafer.  

Still trying to figure out what the spinning wheel clue has to do with the one.  Too obvious, I think to be Vanna White.  

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

When did that happen?

I checked. 2017. I didn't realize that it had been that long ago. Her health is still not optimum. She had a cancer, a stroke, and then the kidney transplant. I don't think she would be up to performing on this show.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I checked. 2017. I didn't realize that it had been that long ago. Her health is still not optimum. She had a cancer, a stroke, and then the kidney transplant. I don't think she would be up to performing on this show.

Oh that’s terrible. But thank you though.

• Love 1

The show-wide clues said the contestants represented 22 Broadway shows (compared to last year’s 8, divided among three singers). Either the back half of this season was recruited exclusively in New York, or we have a genuine Stage Star in the unrevealed singers. Someone with a resume that stands next to Chita Rivera, Ben Vereen, Tyne Daily, and Joel Gray. (Or maybe one of those!)

My watchlist from the clue packages alone, and without hearing any of their performances: Audra McDonald’s resume lines up well with the Leopard’s clues (though I don’t know how she could disguise her soprano-ness enough to be gender-ambiguous); and Bebe Newirth might fit the Penguin due to her icy demeanor and Chicago slinky tux; the rest of the package could be a red hair-ing. 

Who else is in the 10-show club who might fit the bill?

• Love 3

As far as guessing for the performers to date, I don’t have much to add to the current internet gossip, except that I have Allyson Hannigan on my short list for Tree. Seasonal tv star as Willow (a tree-themed name), and also known for a sweet-treat film series. She’s on another show now, but it’s also on Fox so no contractual issues. I’m sure they could work out the scheduling.

I’m also not so sure the Ladybug is Kelly Osbourne, unless she’s been taking some serious lessons. She doesn’t quite have the projection. I’ve got Phoebe Lewis on my bingo card as a serious possibility here - that accent is somewhere in the TX-OK-AR-LA area and it sounds true to my ear; Phoebe’s family makes the Osbornes look like model PTA material; she fell out in a big way with her father in the last decade; and Phoebe does have a bit more power to her voice than Kelly. There is also the famous nursery rhyme aversion ladybugs have to great balls of Fire, if you like your costumes to have meaning.

Probably all wrong guesses, but I’d rather be wrong but entertaining than right and boring!

On 9/26/2019 at 2:07 PM, Ava said:

I think SimoneS has it right about Thingamajig.  There is a mention in the clues about being "on pace" and there is a cupcake with a 4 on top.  Victor Oladipo is #4 on the Indiana Pacers.  He apparently has done some singing in the past.

My local news ran with this theory. So I looked Victor up. Turns out- he has an album. I am convinced that is who Thingamajig is.

• Love 2

I’m nearly certain the black widow is Raven Symone.

Packaged her whole life - former child and Disney star.

“You’re in my house now” - the two spinoffs from That’s So Raven were Corey In The House and Raven’s Home. 

Crystal ball - she played a psychic.

She acted on Empire. 

Peach - she’s from Georgia. 

Flamingo - Adrienne Bailon

Edited by Guest

Since the sneak preview, I have been convinced that Flamingo is Jane Wiedlin from the Go-Gos.  The look and movement.  The stressing of the GO in Flamingo in the sneak peak.  She walked on tonight with lyrics saying “they call me Jane”.  They mentioned “beauty” (Go-Gos album Beauty and the Beat) and “Vacation” (Go-Gos hit).

• Love 5

Both Mr. Roamyn and myself are absolutely positive the Skeleton is Martin Short.

It sounds like him, the Vegas-y styling, the “Wild & Crazy” line, the height, the number 4261 could represent the date his eldest brother was killed, but most important the mannerisms were 100% Martin Short.

Edited by roamyn

Donny Osmond said he thinks he knows the black widow and hasn't seen her since college.

He and Raven Symone were in a movie called College Trip. College something.

I like Billy Porter for the leopard. He has a lot of Broadway credits. 

• Love 3
On 9/26/2019 at 7:34 PM, mamadrama said:

That was one of my first thoughts, too. I think a lot of the suggestions are good, but they're not compatible with the level of stars that would compete on this show. Really famous singers like Taylor Swift would hardly have the time to put in the practice and recording time needed for this show. Even with the show only filming once a week, and with not every performer being on there every week, it's still a commitment that a lot of relevant singers wouldn't be able to keep. Their schedules are filled months in advance. I always think about the pool that most celeb reality shows pull from and try to go from there.

I seem to recall reading some FAQ about it and they film it in a one condensed time/multiple days in a row in July time period so that they can work with schedules. If I remember correctly...

9 minutes ago, slaterain said:

I seem to recall reading some FAQ about it and they film it in a one condensed time/multiple days in a row in July time period so that they can work with schedules. If I remember correctly...

According to the twitter of the company that fills the audience they filmed from July 1st to mid August. 

On 9/22/2019 at 10:00 PM, marykat71702 said:

I haven't seen that about Adrienne, but I have seen a lot of speculation that Raven is the Black Widow.

Every time I see y'all suggest Michelle Williams, I think of the actress...

Adrienne Bailon Houghton is a popular guess for the Flamingo as well. Once people pointed out the clues in this video, it totally makes sense to me:

"ZooTube" - Adrienne has her own YouTube channel. I know she's definitely into makeup and beauty, and she has dedicated segments on these things on her channel. 

The cross necklace - Her husband Israel Houghton is a singer who is well-known in American Christian music circles. 

In the background the book Little Women was on the table. She was in a singing group 3LW (3 Little Women). 

Someone in the YouTube comments explained that pink halogen bulb that the Flaming is holding. They say it's an homage to the Disney wand:

I'm little surprised that Nicole didn't think of Adrienne. By the way, it's funny Nicole thought of a Kardashian-Adrienne used to date the only male child in the Kardashian family (Rob).

On 9/28/2019 at 3:24 PM, SimoneS said:

Tina is still recovering from a kidney transplant. She is not healthy enough to be on the show. 

On 9/29/2019 at 12:36 PM, SimoneS said:

Yes, sadly Tina Turner has rumored to have been battling serious health issues for a while now. I guess that was why The Bee (Gladys Knight) sang "What's Love Got to Do With It" last season - she wanted to honor her friend (like The Bee did a rendition of Aretha's "You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Woman" who was gravely ill when the season was taped.)

Edited by discoprincessthe2
  • Love 3
On 10/3/2019 at 1:33 PM, Machiabelly said:

Donny Osmond said he thinks he knows the black widow and hasn't seen her since college.

He and Raven Symone were in a movie called College Trip. College something.

I like Billy Porter for the leopard. He has a lot of Broadway credits. 

Cheeky of him...

That’s not Billy Porter’s voice, nor is Leopard wearing 6” platforms.

RuPaul and Seal are both the right height, but I’m not hearing RuPaul’s voice nor can my brain wrap itself around Seal adopting such a stage persona.

I feel like I’ve heard the timbre before, just maybe not in song. It’s an actorly kind of voice and a little more performance than polish. 

I’ll lay out a claim on a really famous star who would make time for this show - Jim Carrey. He’s got that Jaime Foxx-like gift of imitation, he’d absolutely camp it up on stage, and it would pay off Nick’s jokes about one of the singers maybe being his ex. Also, those green eyes make the mask an inverse of The Mask. And finally, he is left handed.

It may well not be him - he’d need a couple of inches from the boots and mask - but I’m definitely thinking about an actor-singer type with a flair for comedy in a Carrey-Foxx direction.

As for the Flamingo - I’ll note that YouTube makeup queen Michelle Phan took a mysterious break from her channel this summer, and that makes more sense to me than parking the casting truck outside the Disney Child Star Retirement Home.

I love Who Weekly and Lindsey was pretty accurate last year. Happily, she wrote an article for season 2. None of these people make me want to sit through the truly awful panel of judges. I cannot believe none of them got fired/replaced for season 2. 

https://www.vulture.com/article/masked-singer-season-2-spoilers.html

What are your thoughts. If 

Spoiler

Michelle Williams, Ana Gasteyer, Adrienne Bailon, and Raven Simone

are really on the show, I still won't watch but I might go look up their performance clips on youtube. Too bad they'll be interrupted by the judges' dumb guesses.

Spoiler

Ana's album "I'm Hip" is solid (though I refuse to listen to Christmas albums) and Raven released some bops in her Disney channel days. I could do with more clips of their singing.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I love Who Weekly and Lindsey was pretty accurate last year. Happily, she wrote an article for season 2. None of these people make me want to sit through the truly awful panel of judges. I cannot believe none of them got fired/replaced for season 2. 

https://www.vulture.com/article/masked-singer-season-2-spoilers.html

What are your thoughts. If 

Reveal spoiler

Michelle Williams, Ana Gasteyer, Adrienne Bailon, and Raven Simone

are really on the show, I still won't watch but I might go look up their performance clips on youtube. Too bad they'll be interrupted by the judges' dumb guesses.

Reveal spoiler

Ana's album "I'm Hip" is solid (though I refuse to listen to Christmas albums) and Raven released some bops in her Disney channel days. I could do with more clips of their singing.

I am leaning in the same direction that she is based in the clues available.

I fast forward past everything but the clue videos, performances and unmasking. The judges inane comments are less annoying when you don’t sit through their commentary after the performances. 

just wondering if anyone here thought of adam lambert for the leopard? and the comment above about donny and marie -- i was kind of guessing her for the flamingo. also thought of Pink herself and gwen stefani.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 10/1/2019 at 10:23 PM, Gupwalla said:

As far as guessing for the performers to date, I don’t have much to add to the current internet gossip, except that I have Allyson Hannigan on my short list for Tree. Seasonal tv star as Willow (a tree-themed name), and also known for a sweet-treat film series. She’s on another show now, but it’s also on Fox so no contractual issues. I’m sure they could work out the scheduling.

I really don't think it's Allyson.  She had very little singing to do in the Once More With Feeling Buffy episode because she said she couldn't sing and was very uncomfortable doing it. 

• Love 3

Some guesses after seeing the first episode...

Skeleton: Chris Kattan. He seemed to have some issues moving at first during the song that did not look like they were part of the performance.  Kattan's background matches the other performers people have guessed, plus he has had some back issues in the past. Judging from the voice and stance, Martin Short is a good guess as well.

Ladybug: Leeann Rimes. The talk about her life being tabloid fodder, the reference to Lifetime Movies, and family drama make her a candidate.

• Love 3

This Adrienne Bailon seems to be a pretty big name... but I must be one of the only people in the world who have never even heard of her.  And not just not really knowing who she is, but I mean, never ever heard her name at all until reading it on this forum.

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, blackwing said:

This Adrienne Bailon seems to be a pretty big name... but I must be one of the only people in the world who have never even heard of her.  And not just not really knowing who she is, but I mean, never ever heard her name at all until reading it on this forum.

There are at least two of us.  Come over here and sit by me.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

Not just you!

• Love 9
7 hours ago, blackwing said:

Same here.

• Love 7