Type keyword(s) to search

Under the Mask: Clues and Clue Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Have not watched last night's performance. I catch it on Hulu. If it is Seal, I hope he was purposely not singing to his usual standard before and that his actual voice has not gone down hill. From reading everyone take on the additional clues, it seems it could be him. If so, I admit I was wrong. Call me Ken.

The clues match but I agree that Seal's voice is better than the Leopard's.  I also don't get why he would dress up in drag.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Reading all this stuff, I went to watch what I thought was the Leopard's performance on Youtube.  It was actually the "clue" part, not the performance.

Take a look at 00:41 seconds in.  Is that a rose i see on the top part of the backwall? 

If it's Seal, that would make sense.  (But I'm not sure how "J'adore," written on the wall and also visible, fits.)

Edited by adhoc
  • Love 1

So, I watched. The Leopard is not a bad singer but to me he sounds like a good singer doing a cover of Seal but not at the same quality of Seal. With that said, all the clues seem to be pointing to him being Seal. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

So, I watched. The Leopard is not a bad singer but to me he sounds like a good singer doing a cover of Seal but not at the same quality of Seal. With that said, all the clues seem to be pointing to him being Seal. 

I agree about the quality not matching Seal, but as you say, all the clues match to Seal.  Maybe the mask is affecting the voice quality?

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Some people have guessed Keenan Ivory Wayans for The Leopard for some of his clues, but wondered why he would dress in drag. It occurred to me that David Alan Grier has sung a bit as well.  He was on In Living Color and was one of the "Men on Film". I'm not sure the vocal tone or height matches, but just throwing it out there.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

I agree about the quality not matching Seal, but as you say, all the clues match to Seal.  Maybe the mask is affecting the voice quality?

I think I remember one of the celebs last year saying that they had to make same changes to the costume as they were filming to make it easier to sing in. It’s also possible he is trying to disguise his voice a little bit. I think some of them did that last season and it took two or three performances for the actual voices to become really clear. 

3 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

It's the same with The Flower/Patti Labelle .  At first, she started out timid and I thought her voice wasn't that great until she hit the high notes.  Then her voice came in stronger.  So the masks could be affecting their singing voices.

I also previously posted that Seal was a better singer than the Leopard.  But the voice does sound similar and the clues match.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gupwalla said:

Why would he dress up as a leopard? I mean, I don’t immediately see why “Leopard” is more “common sense” than “Leopard in a Dress.” If you are going to wear a silly costume for your karaoke guessing game, commit! and go all the way with it!

If it is him it’s a clever play on words. He’s literally a Leopard Seal.  Some of them choose to customize their masks but some also just choose from the ones already planned. You can’t always read anything into the mask. 

4 hours ago, realdancemom said:

It's the same with The Flower/Patti Labelle .  At first, she started out timid and I thought her voice wasn't that great until she hit the high notes.  Then her voice came in stronger.  So the masks could be affecting their singing voices.

I also previously posted that Seal was a better singer than the Leopard.  But the voice does sound similar and the clues match.

Actually I thought the same about a few of the people this week.  The Butterfly and Black Widow especially started out kind of tentative and by the end, they let it out. 

Is it just me or was Thingamajig only okay this week. They went crazy for him but I thought he was actually worse than the Skeleton or maybe it was just the song I didn’t like 🤷‍♀️

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Is it just me or was Thingamajig only okay this week. They went crazy for him but I thought he was actually worse than the Skeleton or maybe it was just the song I didn’t like 🤷‍♀️

It ain't just you. I sing better drunken Karaoke than that dude.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

It ain't just you. I sing better drunken Karaoke than that dude.

I'm not saying that I can sing drunk karaoke better than that because I've never been drunk or have done karaoke, but I thought he was boring and have no idea why they were crying over him. 

• Love 2
On 10/14/2019 at 9:49 PM, Gupwalla said:

That said, I’m holding to my impression that Leopard is Jim Carrey (who has no compunctions whatsoever) until forced to consider other options. 

I would think Jenny would know him immediately. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I would think Jenny would know him immediately. 

It's Jenny.  She thought the Monster last season was her husband.  I think she even said it was him for her final guess.  I'm not sure if she was being facetious or not or truly had no clue who it was... but she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

It's Jenny.  She thought the Monster last season was her husband.  I think she even said it was him for her final guess.  I'm not sure if she was being facetious or not or truly had no clue who it was... but she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

That was the Rabbit not the Monster. 

Jenny is just a bit associational with her thinking sometimes. She tossed out one of Dr. Drew’s cohosts as a guess (but not Drew himself) despite working with them. It’s like she knows the voices belong together but doesn’t always distinguish them. She did the same thing with Rottweiler (and maybe Rabbit) - she thinks it’s part of the 90s/00s boy band crowd but she can’t be more specific. So I think “Jaime Foxx...or someone” could be interpreted as anyone in that whole ILC crowd. She thinks that’s the ballpark but she’s only throwing out the safest player.

Even if she’s miles off, I think she’s still closer than the Drag/Pose guesses. This is more likely to be a comedian impersonating Seal, or Seal impersonating an out-of-practice Seal.

NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

All the In Living Color references (whether true or not) brought up an old memory - and I sure wouldn’t rule out Rosie Perez as a solid guess for Flamingo. Assume for a moment that “ZooTube” was an obvious distractor; all the other clues fit Perez fairly well. She’s the right body fit, she was primarily known as a dancer and could almost certainly still light up the floor, she used to joke about her excessive makeup, she’s arguably more of a true “triple threat” than Adrienne, her “wizard” was Spike Lee, and she even studied pre-med* for a while. She comes closer than Adrienne to actually quitting her job - which she did on “The View.” One thing I can’t quite pin down is an example of her singing voice, but Robin was picking up some “maturity” so maybe that’s a hint that we should consider someone a little further back.

In terms of calendar, Perez wrapped filming on a new “Batman” series movie in April, so she should have been free and in “camera shape” for the summer filming. A showing on TMS could build some buzz towards her first big film role in some time. Not saying it’s definitely her, but I’m keeping her down as a strong possibility.

* Specifically, undergraduate studies in biochemistry. I don’t know specifically that she aspired to go into medicine.

Edited by Gupwalla
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Gupwalla said:

All the In Living Color references (whether true or not) brought up an old memory - and I sure wouldn’t rule out Rosie Perez as a solid guess for Flamingo.

I would absolutely LOVE if Rosie Perez was the Flamingo.  Loved her in "White Men Can't Jump".  "Food that begin with the letter Q!"  Jenny and I are about the same vintage and she guesses Adrienne Bailon.  I still haven't bothered to figure out who this Adrienne Bailon is, but it seems like she and Raven Symone were in the same group?  Black Widow is so much better than Flamingo.

Jenny bills herself as a "pop culture guru" but clearly has some holes in her knowledge.  I kind of feel like Jenny is being fed the answers at times.  Like on last season, she was thoroughly embarrassed by some of her guesses (like Michael Vick for the Monster) so she had it written in her contract that she gets to be correct 50% of the time.  I think so far she has guessed Johnny Weir and Paul Shaffer.  Johnny Weir was obvious but I think Paul Shaffer was out of left field. 

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:41 AM, galaxygirl76 said:

I'm not saying that I can sing drunk karaoke better than that because I've never been drunk or have done karaoke, but I thought he was boring and have no idea why they were crying over him. 

i'll jump in defending this whole situation.

I thought it was so adorable and touching, even if not great vocally.

I wasn't crying per se, but I involuntary put my hand on my chest and had an "awwwwww" expression through the whole song

but I can totally understand how someone could be moved even more, especially live.

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I kind of feel like Jenny is being fed the answers at times.  Like on last season, she was thoroughly embarrassed by some of her guesses (like Michael Vick for the Monster) so she had it written in her contract that she gets to be correct 50% of the time.  I think so far she has guessed Johnny Weir and Paul Shaffer.  Johnny Weir was obvious but I think Paul Shaffer was out of left field. 

Yep!  It definitely felt like she was being fed answers last episode.  Did she get anyone right on her own last season?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, meggonzo said:

Yep!  It definitely felt like she was being fed answers last episode.  Did she get anyone right on her own last season?

I want to say that she was the only one that got Tommy Chong (Pineapple) correct.  She also correctly guessed Donny Osmond for the final guess.  And Gladys Knight, although everyone knew Gladys Knight.

I find it interesting that there are a number of contestants this season who were mentioned as guesses last season more than a few times.  Patti LaBelle, Michelle Williams, Raven Symone, Sherri Shepherd.  Could be others but those are the ones that stand out.  Coincidentally, or maybe not coincidentally, they all happen to be black women and Nick Cannon seems pretty cozy with most of them.  ("If this was Sherri Shepherd she'd be grabbing my ass!")  I wonder if he encouraged the producers to get them onto the show.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I find it interesting that there are a number of contestants this season who were mentioned as guesses last season more than a few times.  Patti LaBelle, Michelle Williams, Raven Symone, Sherri Shepherd.  Could be others but those are the ones that stand out.

Just to nitpick, but we don’t yet know for certain whether any of those are contestants (versus guesses) for this year either!

We might think we know, we might even think we are sure, but we might also be just as dumb as whomever we perceive as the dumbest panelist. 🤗 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

Jenny and I are about the same vintage and she guesses Adrienne Bailon.  I still haven't bothered to figure out who this Adrienne Bailon is, but it seems like she and Raven Symone were in the same group?  Black Widow is so much better than Flamingo.

The judges are more likely to be aware of Adrienne Bailon because she is one of the co-hosts if The Real. Most of judges have probably been on that show at some point. 

On 10/9/2019 at 8:16 PM, LizDC said:

I’m 99% sure The Fox is Wayne Brady.  The clues of Doogie (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin Williams - Wayne worked with both of them. 

Just throwing this out to chew on:

The once wildly popular (and now seasonally popular) video game “World of Warcraft” is about to drop two new playable characters into their world: a tribe of fox-people and a community of steampunk gnomish cyborgs. 

Paired with the video game clues from the package, that could mean that the Fox costume is a nod to the star’s pastime of playing WoW.* And Robin Williams was a known WoW player. (As is Jamie Lee Curtis, if you want to listen out for future clues). I don’t know if NPH has played WoW specifically, but he does play old fashioned board games.

So it is possible that Williams and Harris are part of the star’s gaming passion, not on-screen costars. Of course, the two are not mutually exclusive.

*We’ve seen that play once already this season. A more malevolent  blue ice cream man was released in Fortnite in late summer.

Edited by Gupwalla
  • Love 2
On 10/7/2019 at 9:18 AM, blackwing said:

This Adrienne Bailon seems to be a pretty big name... but I must be one of the only people in the world who have never even heard of her.  And not just not really knowing who she is, but I mean, never ever heard her name at all until reading it on this forum.

The only reason I know her name is because my girls liked the Cheetah Girls for a little while.  I believe she was also on Dancing with the Stars.

• Love 1

One more clue this week that proves (to me) that The Flower is indeed Patti LaBelle.  The number 524 popped up in large numerals, and Patti was born on May 24 (5/24).  I always remember that fact about her because Patti and I were born on the same day/same year.

• Love 2

Two judges were right about Black Widow, and in the first round, two were right about Egg. Have there been any other correct guesses? I don't think anyone was right about Eagle. 

I'm with everyone else about Flower. And people are probably right about Thingamajig. Butterfly is probably one of the other two-thirds of Destiny's Child. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lorna Mae said:

Two judges were right about Black Widow, and in the first round, two were right about Egg. Have there been any other correct guesses? I don't think anyone was right about Eagle. 

I'm with everyone else about Flower. And people are probably right about Thingamajig. Butterfly is probably one of the other two-thirds of Destiny's Child. 

Butterfly is Michelle Williams.

2 hours ago, Lorna Mae said:

Jenny also got Paul Schaefer/Skeleton.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Angeleyes said:

The Rottweiler is Chris Daughtry. He’s from North Carolina and he’s an accomplished comic book artist. Plus, it was absolutely his voice that I recognized tonight. 

His vibrato was in full effect tonight. And I have to say, I'm loving how much fun he's having. Back in his Idol days, he was so serious so seeing him joke around with Triumph and jump around is endearing.

And this is the week where I am 100% sure that the Tree is Ana Gasteyer. It's not really about the clues; that's her voice. But the beam me up clue is tied to People of Earth and the chef stuff is about her playing Martha Stewart on SNL.

I'm glad the show is done pretending that we don't know Patti Labelle's voice. It's so famous. I do think her age is impacting her voice but she's still amazing.

• Love 2

After listening to this I am now convinced that Tree is Ana Gasteyer. 

Just now, vibeology said:

His vibrato was in full effect tonight. And I have to say, I'm loving how much fun he's having. Back in his Idol days, he was so serious so seeing him joke around with Triumph and jump around is endearing.

And this is the week where I am 100% sure that the Tree is Ana Gasteyer. It's not really about the clues; that's her voice. But the beam me up clue is tied to People of Earth and the chef stuff is about her playing Martha Stewart on SNL.

I'm glad the show is done pretending that we don't know Patti Labelle's voice. It's so famous. I do think her age is impacting her voice but she's still amazing.

I agree with everything you said. 

My husband and I have the same discussion every week: He says the person in the flower "she's got some pipes on her." I answer, "Because it's Patti Labelle." But what is up with the deck of cards?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bali said:

My husband and I have the same discussion every week: He says the person in the flower "she's got some pipes on her." I answer, "Because it's Patti Labelle." But what is up with the deck of cards?

Some of these clues are really confusing.

I haven't posted often, but have to weigh in on the Flamingo. I believe it's Vanessa Williams. Her previous performance echoed the vocal sounds of "Colors of the Wind" from the Pocohontas movie. 

She has received an NAACP award, was "fired" from Miss America, etc.

3 hours ago, Bali said:

My best guesses are  1) the cards are a reference to Patti being the Queen of Soul since a deck has 4 queens or 2) the cards are a reference to Patti performing in Las Vegas. I’m certain Patti is the Flower, but I am just wildly speculating about the significance of the cards.

2 minutes ago, Athena5217 said:

My best guesses are  1) the cards are a reference to Patti being the Queen of Soul since a deck has 4 queens or 2) the cards are a reference to Patti performing in Las Vegas. I’m certain Patti is the Flower, but I am just wildly speculating about the significance of the cards.

Aretha was the Queen of  Soul.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Aretha was the Queen of  Soul.

Correct.  Patti is the "Godmother of Soul".

I don't put any value in the physical objects.  At least last year, I feel like at least a few of them were somewhat useful... I remember Donny Osmond's wig in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat".  This season they are just completely random.  Could be just about anything.  The Butterfly's Forensic Kit?  "I wanted to be a detective when I grew up".  Patti's cards?  "I love playing cards with my grandchildren."

It's just like Jenny said, "prepare to be even more confused".

• Love 5

I believe Wayne Brady does impressions, so that's what I thought of when he said the thing about many voices, not boy bands/groups.

It would be funny if Donnie Wahlberg is the Rottweiler-didn't he play a detective on a TV show?

The Tree's soup clue had Talk Soup popping into my head, but Aisha Tyler has been the only female host for that show, so never mind...

12 hours ago, blackwing said:

I don't put any value in the physical objects.  At least last year, I feel like at least a few of them were somewhat useful... I remember Donny Osmond's wig in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat".  This season they are just completely random.  Could be just about anything.  The Butterfly's Forensic Kit?  "I wanted to be a detective when I grew up".  Patti's cards?  "I love playing cards with my grandchildren."

The scrunchie last year for Rumor was useless.  

The forensic kit does make sense. Before she decided to become a professional singer Michelle Williams was a criminal justice major. 

1 hour ago, marykat71702 said:

I believe Wayne Brady does impressions, so that's what I thought of when he said the thing about many voices, not boy bands/groups.

I think you’re right about that. Wayne has talked about learning to copy others to get rid of his stutter.

He also said that he’s known for being part of a pack of talented fellas. “Not my voice alone.” It was probably a reference to Wayne Brady’s whose line co-stars. 

The Fox’s setlist included a song from Kinky Boots was Wayne has stared in on Broadway and the title of a song on his album.

Edited by Guest