Type keyword(s) to search

Under the Mask: Clues and Clue Discussion

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

Not just you!

18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

There are at least two of us.  Come over here and sit by me.

18 hours ago, blackwing said:

This Adrienne Bailon seems to be a pretty big name... but I must be one of the only people in the world who have never even heard of her.  And not just not really knowing who she is, but I mean, never ever heard her name at all until reading it on this forum.

She was in a group called 3LW, and was in The Cheetah Girls. She's also on The Real as well.

11 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

Same here.

She was in 3LW and The Cheetah Girls. 

4 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

She was in a group called 3LW, and was in The Cheetah Girls. She's also on The Real as well.

Haha, that would probably explain it, I've never heard of any of those three either! 😊

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

I know of The Cheetah Girls and The Real, but not 3LW.

You've never heard of 3LW? Oh, man, that brings back some memories! Playas Gon' Play, No More, and I Do were my jams back in the 2000s! *sigh*

• Love 2
On 10/6/2019 at 1:42 PM, galaxygirl76 said:

re: the popular guesses for Flamingo and the Black Widow, would this show really have two members of the same band on at the same time?

No, probably not. Of the two, I think the Flamingo is more likely to be a “hidden talent” socmed personality. I’m just not that up on my online beauty consultants, because there is a certain level of ugly where none of that matters and I’m at that level. 😀

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, LizDC said:

I’m 99% sure The Fox is Wayne Brady.  The clues of Doogie (Neil Patrick Harris) and Robin Williams - Wayne worked with both of them. 

I agree. The clues match and it sounds just like him. The superhero clues also match because he’s a big superhero fan. He’s even co-written a issue of Spider-Man and was a voice actor for Batman Beyond.

I also agree with those that think the flower is Patti LaBelle. 

Absolutely agreeing that the Fox is Wayne Brady and Flower is Patti Labelle. I couldn’t remember when Wayne Brady worked with Robins Willams but I absolutely remember him working with NPH. 

Edited by carpedi7
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, carpedi7 said:

Absolutely agreeing that the Fox is Wayne Brady and Flower is Patric Labelle. I couldn’t remember when Wayne Brady worked with Robins Willams but I absolutely remember him working with NPH. 

Agree. And Sherri Shepherd is penguin.

• Love 3
On 10/8/2019 at 4:57 AM, MikaelaArsenault said:

She was in 3LW and The Cheetah Girls. 

On 10/8/2019 at 9:35 AM, Mindthinkr said:

Wasn’t Adrianne also the girlfriend of Rob Kardashian back in the day? I think being associated with that family was helping her climb until they broke up and then it didn’t. 

I'm an old fogey, because even with this info I still don't know who she is.  I've heard of the Cheetah Girls because I do have two daughters who are now in their 20's, but I have no idea who was actually in the "band".  Same with 3LW.  I recognize the name as a thing, but never heard any of the music.  I actively avoid all things Kardashian. 

• Love 3

The only one I am certain about is that the Flower is Patti LaBelle. I have seen her concert live and have most of her CDs. Her voice is distinctive.  Ms. Patti can't fool me any more than Gladys Knight could. 

On the live thread, I took a guess that the Fox is Wayne Brady and I am sticking with it for now. I have heard him sing so many times over the years and the Fox sounds exactly like him.

I guessed Wanda Sykes for the Penguin, but thought the body type doesn't fit. However, I have been looking at pictures of her this morning and she is busty so I think that it could be her.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

I watched Flower's performance this morning followed by a video of Patti LaBelle singing Over the Rainbow.  The Flower is Patti. No doubt.  Very few singers have that kind of range. Patti's lower register is distinctive. The clues also match up. Patti is known for her dramatic make-up and and clothing. She sells baked goods at Walmart.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Athena5217 said:

I watched Flower's performance this morning followed by a video of Patti LaBelle singing Over the Rainbow.  The Flower is Patti. No doubt.  Very few singers have that kind of range. Patti's lower register is distinctive. The clues also match up. Patti is known for her dramatic make-up and and clothing. She sells baked goods at Walmart.

Flower is Miss Patti, 100%.  In addition to the clues you've pointed out, there was also an honorary doctorate from Temple University.  Patti's from Philadelphia.

I still remember her appearance on Cribs back in the day.  She confessed to frequently tossing things up or down the stairs when her hands were too full, and called it the "ghetto elevator."  To this day, when I toss something up or down the stairs (c'mon, you know you do it too!) I mumble to myself, "Miss Patti's ghetto elevator!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Flower is Miss Patti, 100%.  In addition to the clues you've pointed out, there was also an honorary doctorate from Temple University.  Patti's from Philadelphia.

I still remember her appearance on Cribs back in the day.  She confessed to frequently tossing things up or down the stairs when her hands were too full, and called it the "ghetto elevator."  To this day, when I toss something up or down the stairs (c'mon, you know you do it too!) I mumble to myself, "Miss Patti's ghetto elevator!"

I agree that the Flower is absolutely without a doubt the legendary Patti LaBelle.  The voice and range are very distinctive, as are her hand gestures.

Patti singing "If You Asked Me To" from the James Bond "Licence to Kill" soundtrack (before Celine covered it for her smash hit):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da-RjeCObyA

Flower sounds exactly like her, and the body type matches.  I'm glad the show found a better picture of her this year... the one they used last season for the Bee guesses made her look like Bride of Frankenstein.  I hope she goes far in this competition.  Another "older" singer who can introduce her music to a new generation.  Yes, I'm still miffed that the incomparable Gladys Knight got robbed last season!

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

And all along, I thought that Flower was Mayim Bialik.

I thought that too with the Doctorate in the clue package, but knew it couldn't be her when the Flower started singing.

I'm waiting for Ken to insist that Flower is Anita Baker.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, carpedi7 said:

Absolutely agreeing that the Fox is Wayne Brady and Flower is Patric Labelle. I couldn’t remember when Wayne Brady worked with Robins Willams but I absolutely remember him working with NPH. 

Robin Williams was on an episode of "Whose Line Is It Anyway" with Wayne.

In the fox's clue package, there's a drawing of the fox in front of three stools.  "Whose Line" had a skit, Make a Date, where they are seated on stools (and stools were often used in other skits).

• Love 5

Go big or go home: Mahershala Ali for Fox.

The 4400, Moonlight, and True Detective all get references in the clue package, and Luke Cage made the banter. I think Doogie and Doubtfire are references to the celeb’s gamer friends (who might or might not be celebs themselves - Williams was known to be a gamer).

On 10/10/2019 at 11:57 AM, Athena5217 said:

On 10/10/2019 at 12:15 PM, Lovecat said:

Just for fun, here is further analysis of the cluesWhen the Flower mentions being into fashion, the camera pans to flamboyant sunglasses. Those look like the type that Elton John would wear. The Flower is also shown whipping up macaroni and cheese. I remember Patti telling a story years ago about making Elton John (baked) macaroni and cheese that he thought was so good,

Apparently back in the 70s Elton played piano for Patti.

The mention of "Vision of Love" may seem like a red herring, but not really. 

I bet Nick knows who The Flower is too, which was why he was holding her hand. 

Edited by discoprincessthe2
  • Love 4
58 minutes ago, discoprincessthe2 said:

Just for fun, here is further analysis of the cluesWhen the Flower mentions being into fashion, the camera pans to flamboyant sunglasses. Those look like the type that Elton John would wear. The Flower is also shown whipping up macaroni and cheese. I remember Patti telling a story years ago about making Elton John (baked) macaroni and cheese back that he thought was so good,

Apparently back in the 70s Elton played piano for Patti.

The mention of "Vision of Love" may seem a red herring, but not really. 

I bet Nick knows who The Flower is too, which was why he was holding her hand. 

I really like that the clues this year are actual clues that you have to figure out. In the sneak peak one of the Flower’s clues was 314 which is pi and Patti LaBelle sells pies at Walmart. 

58 minutes ago, Gupwalla said:

If you need a really good laugh This evening, search YouTube for “Patti Labelle backup singers” and go with the first hit. You will not be disappointed.

That was great. She even sounds amazing when singing instructions to cue card operators. Singing in a giant flower costume would be a piece of cake. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Flower’s clues was 314 which is pi and Patti LaBelle sells pies at Walmart. 

Whoa!  Good one but she is a bigger woman.  The flower looks smaller. 

I am shocked that Kristin Chenoweth has not showed up yet.  She is a fame seeker (I am being nice here).

Edited by Trapeze
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Trapeze said:

Whoa!  Good one but she is a bigger woman.  The flower looks smaller.

Patti’s weight has fluctuated over the years. After she found out she had diabetes in the 90s, she changed her diet and lost weight. This is a recent picture of her: https://www.boston25news.com/entertainment/photos-oprah-cicely-tyson-gladys-knight-and-more-at-tyler-perry-studios-grand-opening/994175105. I believe she is s similar size and shape to Flower. I am also sure whoever is wearing that Flower costume has Spanx on and should get bonus points for singing in them.

• Love 4

Just caught up on the latest episode and will be absolutely shocked if the Flower is anyone other than Patti LaBelle, not just the voice but the mannerisms are all Patti!  Like others have said her weight fluctuates, but lately her weight seems lower.

Did not think of Wayne Brady for the Fox but it makes sense.

Finally I think the Sherri Shephard guesses for the penguin could be right, something she did during the Smackdown performance made me think "that really might be Sherri".

Fun episode.

• Love 1

There just aren't that many legends that the Flower could be. She did say she's a legend. There are only about 3 or 4 people who can sing like that. I mean- others can hit those notes- but not that timbre. And one of those people is now gone. There are too many grammies in this cast for there to not be a real legend or two. Patti doesn't have that many grammies, so there is another one here too. But I will be completely shocked if that isn't Patti. And BTW- imagine how poor Dr. Drew felt when he heard he was competing against THAT voice. Poor dude. But really, if they had just let him rip out some Puccini, he would have sounded better. A lot of opera voices can't do pop or rock. 

S- I'm convinced that is Patti. And of course, Nick was holding her hand. You don't just let Patti LaBelle fall over because she's dressed as a beautiful purple flower. (And the fact that I just got to type that sentence makes this the best show ever)

• Love 4

I would say the two best singers on this show are the Flower and the Butterfly.  Would love to see these two in the finals.  But as we saw last season, the best singer doesn't always win.

The elimination singoff is new this season.  Did I hear Nick say that the panelists (and apparently only the panelists) decide who wins the singoff?  I wish they would reveal the audience votes for the head to head matchups.

Flower is obviously Patti LaBelle but I'm not convinced about the Butterfly.  I was thinking Melanie Brown because of the London reference but many seem to think Michelle Williams?  I've listened to the Butterfly singing "Bang Bang" and it doesn't really sound like Michelle.  There's a bit of raspiness in the voice especially when she goes for the loud/high that sounds more like Mel B and an English accent.

3 hours ago, Bali said:

There just aren't that many legends that the Flower could be. She did say she's a legend. There are only about 3 or 4 people who can sing like that. I mean- others can hit those notes- but not that timbre.

Exactly. I remember some of the guesses the panelists were throwing around this season and last season. Tina Turner's voice is raspier. Chaka Khan's voice sounds different. Aretha Franklin, of course, is now deceased (and was gravely ill when the first season was taped). Anita Baker also sounds completely different, and her range is lower. I've seen some people in the YouTube comments throw around Macy Gray's name. Macy's voice is raspy like Tina Turner's. Patti's voice is distinctive, and her voice is the only one I can think of whose tone matches. 

Side note: Mariah would have issues hiding in plain sight if she did this show as well (aside from her ex-husband being the host). Her voice is also very distinctive and everyone one on that panel SHOULD recognize it right away.

By the way, maybe someone should convince Anita Baker to come out of retirement and do the show just to mess with Dr. Ken. 😉

• LOL 4

When Robin was trying to remember Adrienne Bailon's name, he said he had to consult his notes. That was the first time I noticed the judges had really big binders in front of them with notes. Do the producers supply them with names and biographies of possible contestants? It would prevent some of the lesser known celebs from not even being mentioned as guesses by the judges.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

A poster on Reddit blew up the mirror in the intro of the Penguin and the pictures on it are pictures of Queen Rania of Jordan. Sherri Shepherd played Tracy Jordan's wife on 30 Rock. I believe she gets a reality show called 'The Queen of Jordan' at some point.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 10/10/2019 at 12:50 PM, meggonzo said:

I'm waiting for Ken to insist that Flower is Anita Baker.

Or “Anita Baker singing in the style of Patti LaBelle.” If he says that, we will know Ken is getting a kickback from Anita Baker’s agent.

12 hours ago, Bali said:

And BTW- imagine how poor Dr. Drew felt when he heard he was competing against THAT voice. Poor dude. But really, if they had just let him rip out some Puccini, he would have sounded better. A lot of opera voices can't do pop or rock. 

Saying you lost to the Flower (who will turn out to be Patti LaBelle) in a singing competition is nothing to feel bad about because she is amazing. On the other hand,  Losing  a singing competition to someone like professional gamer Ninja is potentially embarrassing. Dr. Drew should be happy he got to be on the show with her and go back to his talk show.

• Love 4
On 10/5/2019 at 8:42 PM, zoomama said:

just wondering if anyone here thought of adam lambert for the leopard?

Interesting, but would he have the time to be on the show?

The Fox is Wayne Brady, the Flower is Patti Labelle, and I'm pretty sure the Skeleton is Martin Short.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

Interesting, but would he have the time to be on the show?

The Fox is Wayne Brady, the Flower is Patti Labelle, and I'm pretty sure the Skeleton is Martin Short.

I think the Skeleton is Paul because you can just tell by the voice.

Internetz is saying that Seal is the Leopard.  Really?  I have no idea if he's even still singing or performing, he seems to be in the news in recent years only because of his divorce from Heidi Klum.  It would kind of make sense, he is English, although I'm still a bit confused on the gender bender costume.

In one of those "so obvious it can't be right" ideas, I think it would have been more interesting if Seal was dressed as, you know, a seal.

9 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I still stand by my opinion that Seal is a much better singer than the Leopard. I still believe the Leopard is someone else. Time will tell.

Yeah, I think I agree with you... I'm also not sure if Seal has that theatrical/campy performance in him.  Why would Seal be dressed as a woman?  I actually agree with Jenny re Jamie Foxx.  Dressing up as Queen Elizabeth and camping it up around the stage with those hand movements?  Seems much more like something Jamie Foxx would do than Seal.  Jamie was Little John in the horrible Taron Edgerton "Robin Hood" so dressing in period English costume is something he's done before.  

• Useful 1

It feels like this year they've been more careful to make the clues point to other people as decoys. Like Leopard's clues are clearly trying to get us to think it's Dennis Rodman, even though we have video evidence that he really can't either sing (his Happy Birthday to the dictator) or dance (there was a dancing challenge when he did the UK's Celebrity Big Brother). Maybe the Elizabethan drag is part of that, but also... like, a leopard on its own would be boring. The drag makes it stand out. But a Leopard Seal also makes sense from the clues.

Likewise, they're trying so hard to get us to think Tree is Ana Gasteyer that I'm about 70% sure it can't possibly be. But you know who else fits all of the clues in a less obvious way, and per Youtube seems to have a similar singing voice to Tree? Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, blackwing said:

Why would Seal be dressed as a woman?

Then again, why wouldn’t he be? High camp is really “in” right now, and “rule of fun” says just do what feels entertaining. Deciding to do TMS in the first place requires crossing so many bridges that I can’t imagine the gender of your furry karaoke avatar would be the one bridge you couldn’t move past.

That said, I’m holding to my impression that Leopard is Jim Carrey (who has no compunctions whatsoever) until forced to consider other options. 

On 10/14/2019 at 2:01 PM, Enigma X said:

I still stand by my opinion that Seal is a much better singer than the Leopard. I still believe the Leopard is someone else. Time will tell.

After last night's performance, I am now firmly in the "Seal is the Leopard" camp. Seal's (real) signing voice is pretty distinct, and he wasn't trying to hide it.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:57 PM, blackwing said:

Internetz is saying that Seal is the Leopard.  Really?  I have no idea if he's even still singing or performing, he seems to be in the news in recent years only because of his divorce from Heidi Klum.  It would kind of make sense, he is English, although I'm still a bit confused on the gender bender costume.

In one of those "so obvious it can't be right" ideas, I think it would have been more interesting if Seal was dressed as, you know, a seal.

The Leopard alluded to that in this clue package though ("I don't care what they say about what I'm wearing-or even my relationships"). By the way, back while Seal was still married to Heidi Klum, they were known for dressing in elaborate costumes for Halloween. 

I just caught another clue in the first package that was hiding in plain sight. One of the newspaper headlines was "The Runway". Of course, Heidi was known for being the host of Project Runway

I Googled Seal after last night's package. Two main clues fit: "1963" (his birth year) and the bit about not being wanted (he was adopted).

• Love 1

Have not watched last night's performance. I catch it on Hulu. If it is Seal, I hope he was purposely not singing to his usual standard before and that his actual voice has not gone down hill. From reading everyone's take on the additional clues, it seems it could be him. If so, I admit I was wrong. Call me Ken.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 3