Type keyword(s) to search

Under the Mask: Clues and Clue Discussion

• Start Topic

my predictions:

tonight we say buh-bye to the last of the non-singers. Adios, LaToya, good job done.

Final battle will be Peacock (Donny Osmond, my future husband since 1968) and Lion (Rumer Willis, because lion).

I really, really, really hope Gladys Knight is the bee because she's awesome and Bee is awesome. Some clues suggest Chaka Khan, but she is too young to have started in the 50's.

My son says Monster is T-Pain. I'm not very familiar with that genre so I'll respectfully agree.

Rabbit is a boy band guy, we all know that, but which one? Hmmmmm....

Here we go!

• Love 1

Posting from the other thread...

Is this where we post our guesses? If it is...

• Peacock: I was leaning pretty heavily towards NPH, but that's probably just me buying into a red herring. After reading the other thread, I agree, it's more likely Donny Osmond.
  • Alien: The first week, I thought she might be one of the lesser Kardashians, but now I'm convinced she's LaToya Jackson.
  • Bee: Obviously a Motown legend. I'm going with Gladys Knight. (Unless the show was taped before Aretha Franklin passed.)
  • Rabbit: Based on the clues from his first episode, it's definitely someone from N*Sync. Justin's too big a name, so it's gotta be one of the others. My first instinct was Lance Bass, but I agree with the crowd, it's proabably Joey Fatone.
  • Lion: No clue.
  • Monster: Same.

...and adding;

After tonight's performance reminded me, I'm thinking that the Lion is probably Kelly Rowland. I missed the Monster's performance, though. But I'm taping it, so I'll watch it tomorrow, probably post my guess then.

1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

After tonight, I am convinced the Lion is Rumer Willis. She practically gave away that she was on Empire which films in Chicago.

I was surprised by how many Rumer clues they put in that one video. Chicago, Empire, cabaret, whispers and gossip, Hailey, bluegrass state, and her famous family. 

11 hours ago, OlyBinewski said:

My son says Monster is T-Pain. I'm not very familiar with that genre so I'll respectfully agree.

He was the only one I was certain from the start.  I'm not too familiar with him either but the auto tune moment in the first episode was the giveaway for me.  A lot of artists use it.  He was particularly known for it. 

T-Pain ended up being blackballed by people in the music industry because they claimed that auto tune ruined music and unfairly blamed him. I saw him on Drop the Mic right after and heard he has a new album coming out so I think that he is on the show to jump start his career.

• Love 4
On 2/13/2019 at 6:18 PM, OlyBinewski said:

Back when we had the single thread, someone mentioned T-Pain as Monster.  I listened to a few of his songs and definitely think it's him (and he's GOOD!)

2 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Back when we had the single thread, someone mentioned T-Pain as Monster.  I listened to a few of his songs and definitely think it's him (and he's GOOD!)

Did you see the clip of him performing one of the songs the Monster sang? That was the thing that confirmed it for me and all the clues have fit him perfectly. 

On 2/14/2019 at 11:09 PM, MsJamieDornan said:

This is interesting behind the scenes info. It makes sense that they do contestants' make up and hair before they take off the mask. They have got to be hot and sweaty under those masks.

I would love to see a blooper reel from the show. Those costumes are so bulky to maneuver in. I bet the Monster has had a tumble or two.

I am not surprised to hear that they are getting calls from managers/agents who clients want to appear on the show. We might have some more well known celebrities next season.

• Love 2

I totally bingewatched this show from 10 PM to 2 AM last night. I am all caught up. 

The Bee is Gladys Knight. I know her voice and think she is the best of the classic (and modern) R&B female singers. Since day one, I thought the Peacock was Donny Osmond. I think the Lion is Michelle Williams of Destiny's Child because she is from Chicago and in one of her clue videos the musical Chicago was mentioned. Up until the last episode aired, I thought the Rabbit was Jared Leto. He is a very good musician in a successful band and method acting and all, but the hot dogs thing does not fit. I have no idea who the monster is.

• Love 1

New Clues

Peacock - Has 80 million reasons to love life.

Lion - Goes the whole 9 yards in everything she does.

Monster - Loves a good life.

Rabbit - He started as a wolf and still breaks hearts.

Bee - Who knew bees and flamingos cohabitate.

58 minutes ago, Dani said:

New Clues

Peacock - Has 80 million reasons to love life.

Lion - Goes the whole 9 yards in everything she does.

Monster - Loves a good life.

Rabbit - He started as a wolf and still breaks hearts.

Bee - Who knew bees and flamingos cohabitate.

These are pretty simple, I think: According to some online sources, Donny Osmond (as part of The Osmonds) sold 80 million records in the space of a year; there's also some references to the Osmonds having lost $80 million early in their careers due to bad financial management. Rumer Willis had an uncredited role in the movie The Whole Nine Yards. T-Pain did vocals on Kanye's song Good Life.  Joey Fatone played the Wolf in the  musical Red Riding Hood. Finally, per Reddit, Gladys Knight has performed at the Flamingo in Las Vegas. 

• Love 4
On 2/16/2019 at 1:32 PM, jhlipton said:

Aaaaand T-Pain just happens to have a new album coming out soon. I just Googled it as I think he's being set up to win and then, naturally, he'll have a "new sound" album which will lead to a comeback. 

Am I showing my age calling it an album?

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2019/01/t-pain-finished-new-album-1-up/

Edited by justjen
Showing my research
  • Love 1

I have a feeling that Jenny McCarthy was on my local news channel this morningand to me, I believe she gave the winner away. She talked about a really stupid guess she made thats she’s really embarrassed about because it was that bad. Then she went on to say how she cried when the winner was telling their story and how touching it was. Now, my deduction concludes (in my head anyway), the Peacock (Donny Osmond) has no heart-wrench/ing story that could bring you to tears unless he talks about his nephew committing suicide, but that’s Marie’s story. The Bee (my girl Gladys Knight) indeed has had some sad times through the years, but would it move us to tears? As much as I want her to win because I adore this woman, it pains me to say that I think Monster is the winner. I have no idea who T-Pain is, but seeing the discussions from fellow viewers, it sounds like he has had adversity throughout his life. and is overcoming it.  But I really want Gladys to win!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Happy Belly said:

I have a feeling that Jenny McCarthy was on my local news channel this morningand to me, I believe she gave the winner away. She talked about a really stupid guess she made thats she’s really embarrassed about because it was that bad. Then she went on to say how she cried when the winner was telling their story and how touching it was. Now, my deduction concludes (in my head anyway), the Peacock (Donny Osmond) has no heart-wrench/ing story that could bring you to tears unless he talks about his nephew committing suicide, but that’s Marie’s story. The Bee (my girl Gladys Knight) indeed has had some sad times through the years, but would it move us to tears? As much as I want her to win because I adore this woman, it pains me to say that I think Monster is the winner. I have no idea who T-Pain is, but seeing the discussions from fellow viewers, it sounds like he has had adversity throughout his life. and is overcoming it.  But I really want Gladys to win!

If the Monster wins (and I think he will) they really need to stop telegraphing the  winner. The Monster has gotten a lot more focus than any of the other contestants. Yesterday they even released one of his performances from   the finale. At this point I really hope it is all a fake out. 

See the only problem with Gladys being the bee is that she only has 7 Grammy's.  The Grammy site is confusing because there is a separate listing for the Pips.  If you don't scroll down and read the listing under Gladys, then you would assume her 7 plus the 3 for the Pips = 10. But she actually has 7 total, 4 individual and 3 with the Pips,  If you do scroll down and read her list of Grammy's you will see that the Pip wins are included in the 7.

I thought maybe someone fed her the info but would someone really not know how many Grammy's they have.

Her website has the correct total, as does wikipedia.

https://gladysknight.com/very-simple-page/

24 minutes ago, angelusgirl said:

See the only problem with Gladys being the bee is that she only has 7 Grammy's.  The Grammy site is confusing because there is a separate listing for the Pips.  If you don't scroll down and read the listing under Gladys, then you would assume her 7 plus the 3 for the Pips = 10. But she actually has 7 total, 4 individual and 3 with the Pips,  If you do scroll down and read her list of Grammy's you will see that the Pip wins are included in the 7.

I thought maybe someone fed her the info but would someone really not know how many Grammy's they have.

Her website has the correct total, as does wikipedia.

https://gladysknight.com/very-simple-page/

There are posts somewhere on here that give a possible breakdown that would make it work. I think the are in the last episode discussion. 

It is possible to receive multiple trophies for one award. One of her seven wins was for a gospel choir album where she was both the artist and choir director which would have given her 2 Grammys. 

She also has 2 songs inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. It’s not a Grammy win but it does include a trophy. 

It’s just a guess but that would give her 10 Grammys. 

Edited by Guest
25 minutes ago, Dani said:

There are posts somewhere on here that give a possible breakdown that would make it work. I think the are in the last episode discussion. 

It is possible to receive multiple trophies for one award. One of her seven wins was for a gospel choir album where she was both the artist and choir director which would have given her 2 Grammys. 

She also has 2 songs inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. It’s not a Grammy win but it does include a trophy. 

It’s just a guess but that would give her 10 Grammys. 

Except for the fact that her personal website says that she has 7.  That, to me, seems definitive.

Here is the quote: 

"The great ones endure, and Gladys Knight has long been one of the greatest. Very few singers over the last fifty years have matched her unassailable artistry. This seven-time Grammy winner has enjoyed #1 hits in Pop, Gospel, R&B and Adult Contemporary, and has triumphed in film, television and live performance."

Edited by angelusgirl
edited to add quote
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, angelusgirl said:

Except for the fact that her personal website says that she has 7.  That, to me, seems definitive.

Here is the quote: 

"The great ones endure, and Gladys Knight has long been one of the greatest. Very few singers over the last fifty years have matched her unassailable artistry. This seven-time Grammy winner has enjoyed #1 hits in Pop, Gospel, R&B and Adult Contemporary, and has triumphed in film, television and live performance."

I know. It’s just that none of the 10 time Grammy winners match the clues of the Bee. The closest is Chaka Khan and she doesn’t match the other clues.

No matter who it is I think that they are playing with semantics on the Grammy question. 

1 minute ago, Dani said:

I know. It’s just that none of the 10 time Grammy winners match the clues of the Bee. The closest is Chaka Khan and she doesn’t match the other clues.

No matter who it is I think that they are playing with semantics on the Grammy question. 

***This*** that is what I think is happening.  I truly think it was an error, I think anyone who takes a cursory glance at the Grammy site would assume 10. Newsweek put it in an article, FFS.  On the one hand, it makes sense, but on the other hand it is easy to assume the wins would be separated.  But what sticks with me is 7 is not that many and I would think she would remember.

With Gladys I think it may be 7 Grammy "wins" that yielded 10 Grammy trophies.  I think Robin's question was (I went back to double-check but can't find the preview) "do you have any Grammy's" vs. how many Grammy's have you won.  Which are similar but not the same.  I think they're trying to be misleading.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, chi-girl said:

With Gladys I think it may be 7 Grammy "wins" that yielded 10 Grammy trophies.  I think Robin's question was (I went back to double-check but can't find the preview) "do you have any Grammy's" vs. how many Grammy's have you won.  Which are similar but not the same.  I think they're trying to be misleading.

I am pretty sure that Robin’s question was “Have you won a Grammy?” and the Bee’s response was, “Actually, I have 10.”  So, technically the Bee isn’t claiming to have won 10, only to have 10 in her possession. Maybe she got two Grammy statues for some of her wins, or maybe someone gave her the other 3. In any case, assuming that it is Gladys, I still feel the statement is intended to be misleading. 

• Love 1

If the Monster wins, the unmasking will be hilarious because other than Robin Thicke, I none of the judges will recognize him. They will have to fake knowing who he is. It will be entertaining as hell. I can't wait.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

If the Monster wins, the unmasking will be hilarious because other than Robin Thicke, I none of the judges will recognize him. They will have to fake knowing who he is. It will be entertaining as hell. I can't wait.

I think Nicole will know him, and Kenan better know him! 

41 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Does anyone know who ended up winning all of this? Went to bed before this was over, so had to miss the rest of it unfortunately.

Just wondering, thank you.

The winner was T-Pain (Monster). 

Most of the clues from the Sneak Peek went right past me, but The Flower posed in front of the number 314, which is the area code for St. Louis, Missouri. And after skimming Wikipedia's list of notable people from St. Louis, I figure some of the possibilities are:

• Linda Blair
  • Kate Capshaw
  • Jenna Fischer
  • Ellie Kemper
  • Tina Turner

There are a couple of other candidates, but either they won awards that definitely would've been mentioned in that rundown they did at the end of the show, or they're not quite famous enough for the reveal to be a big deal (unless Meat Loaf's first "M. Loud" is more popular than I think she is). And it's entirely possible that 314 means something else completely. I'm really just throwing this out there to get the ball rolling.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, zoomama said:

just spent an hour or so digesting clues with a friend. the 314 thing as an area code did not cross my mind! brilliant work here!!   so now with the 4261 thing with the skeleton...any thoughts?

My first reaction to 4261 is an address but that’s not much to go on. It could be the date 4/2/61. Maybe a birthdate. 

ETA. A quick search show two celebrities born on 4/2/61, Christopher Meloni and Keren Woodward from Bananarama. 

Edited by Guest
8 hours ago, zoomama said:

any guesses yet as to who is who?

My daughter and I thought the flamingo was Mya, but we're also open to Gloria Estefan. Eagle is Alice Cooper, maybe? Butterfly Mandy Moore? I don't know. I gotta hear them sing more. 

• Love 1