Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13: Our Little Island Girl

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 3/5/2019 at 5:21 AM, maddie965 said:

I've never been a Beth fan,  so I fast-forwarded through the whole thing. Liked the last scene with her mother though.

What I got from this episode:

- all daughters hate their mothers and secretly want to marry their fathers;

- it's ok to be irresponsible (aka Randall) and ignore your family as long as you're  following  your dreams;

- if you were ever a musician or a dancer, and even if you haven't practiced for years, it's ok to go to a school and announce: "I want to be a teacher here". You'll get the job immediately.

*sighs*

It's a common theme in shows like this and makes fun of the people who actually did study for decades continuously perfecting their craft. Although she will just be teaching kids you have to wonder if she could really do them justice. Does she not remember how much these classes cost and how much parents sacrifice to give their child? 

You would think that she should know better but then on this show it is all about the main core of characters. As per trying to get their Uncle out of his trailer which was his home and into a different place just to make themselves feel better.

Edited by Morlock
  • Love 1

I actually think Beth teaching ballet is analogous to a former minor leaguer, who maybe never made it past A-ball teaching hitting lessons at a local batting cage facility (which is extremely common). The time gap is not necessarily an issue given how serious she was about it for so much of her life, given the level she's currently purportedly teaching.

• Love 1
On 2/19/2019 at 10:37 PM, nilyank said:

Beth could have continued to take dance in college while doing some other major.

This. I get that mom took away her dream of auditioning for ballet companies instead of college. Nothing not anything has stopped Beth from dancing as a hobby or investigating other forms of dance for the last 20 years.

i call bullshit on her being able to teach when she hasn’t taken a class in that long also.

dance doesn’t work that way. Her technique would be there underneath but she’d need months to get it back.

in my experience if you have a true love for an art form you find yourself doing something with it somehow some way. Beth didn’t even try. 

• Love 4

Beth's long absence from dance tells me that the writers were lazy and/or not thinking ahead. Starting early in this season or in previous seasons, they could have had occasional lines mentioning Beth taking dance classes or teaching dance at an after school program.

Same for Rebecca and Kate. As far as we knew, they both went years without singing. But a few lines of dialog could have put some music in those years.

One of my major pet peeves on TV is writers leaving gaping plot holes that could have been patched with a few lines.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Driad said:

Beth's long absence from dance tells me that the writers were lazy and/or not thinking ahead. Starting early in this season or in previous seasons, they could have had occasional lines mentioning Beth taking dance classes or teaching dance at an after school program.

Same for Rebecca and Kate. As far as we knew, they both went years without singing. But a few lines of dialog could have put some music in those years.

One of my major pet peeves on TV is writers leaving gaping plot holes that could have been patched with a few lines.

The same lazy retrofitting that has us try to accept Jack was lying all those times he said his brother was dead. You’re absolutely right.

weve never heard Beth even MENTION dance.

i have juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and had to give up classical violin. I was nonprodigy but I would likely have been good enough to play in a professional second tier orchestra.

for a while I couldn’t listen to classical music.

but I couldn’t stay away from MUSIC per de.

i

do

not

buy

beths 20 year hiatus. It’s not the way a true love of art works. 

I also knew a ballerina who had injured her foot and couldn’t pursue her childhood dream of dancing. Met her in college. I don’t know what she majored in but she took African dance.

she loved to MOVE.

• Love 4

Thank you, lucindabelle.  In an episode of M*A*S*H, a soldier who was a concert pianist was injured and his hand crippled.  Dr. Charles Winchester spent a lot of time trying to get through to him that he had not lost music; he could still compose or conduct or teach.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

This. I get that mom took away her dream of auditioning for ballet companies instead of college. Nothing not anything has stopped Beth from dancing as a hobby or investigating other forms of dance for the last 20 years.

i call bullshit on her being able to teach when she hasn’t taken a class in that long also.

dance doesn’t work that way. Her technique would be there underneath but she’d need months to get it back.

in my experience if you have a true love for an art form you find yourself doing something with it somehow some way. Beth didn’t even try. 

9 hours ago, Driad said:

I played guitar as a teen. I put it down around 20 and didn't start again until 45 so a gap of 25 years. Some of it was still there, I remembered some chords, theory etc but my fingers were almost back to beginner level. I had work mates asking me to teach them and I kept saying that I haven't played in 25 years, I am still learning or relearning myself. I went away on a holiday for a week not long after re-starting and when I came back I found that I had gone backwards a little and that was just 1 week! 

The way this show makes it look is you can just start again after such a long break and it's like you never stopped. It's not like that in real life. Someone mentioned the ball player who never made the majors but teaches instead. I think sports might be different, I don't know. But art like dancing and music aren't the same as sport. You really do need to keep practicing it to stay sharp. 

Edited by Morlock
  • Love 4

It’s insulting to the viewers. It’s one thing for an instructor to say you should be in an advanced class.

it is ridiculous to suggest she’d waltz in and get a job. Unless she had her own pupils why would that place even have an opening? Dang, any kind of teaching job in the arts is HARD to get.

and now this sudden part time job is supposed to be her dream and she guilts Randall about the fact that it’s keeping her out of the house evenings and weekends?

the writing on this shownused to be good. I’m kind of hate watching now.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

It’s insulting to the viewers. It’s one thing for an instructor to say you should be in an advanced class.

it is ridiculous to suggest she’d waltz in and get a job. Unless she had her own pupils why would that place even have an opening? Dang, any kind of teaching job in the arts is HARD to get.

and now this sudden part time job is supposed to be her dream and she guilts Randall about the fact that it’s keeping her out of the house evenings and weekends?

the writing on this shownused to be good. I’m kind of hate watching now.

I am only a casual viewer as my wife watches but it's like they have this emotion quota that they need to fulfill every week. Just always upping or trying to up the ante a little more. Most of the time the drama is ridiculous and to support this weeks flashback story. 

So now she is a wannabe ballerina, as others have mentioned she never showed an interest or spoke about ballet before. So after decades of not doing it she just walks in and can dance to some degree and decides she can just say she wants a job teaching.

Asides from talent there are so many other factors, suitability for working with children for a start! 

The main core of characters on this show are so entitled and unrealistic it's unbelievable. 

Edited by Morlock
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Morlock said:

Some of it was still there, I remembered some chords, theory etc but my fingers were almost back to beginner level.

There's this guy down at the crossroads what maybe might help you with that, for a modest "fee"...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/20/2019 at 12:33 AM, Bringonthedrama said:

It wasn't just that - she also told Beth she wasn't going to pay for the dance classes anymore. The message was clearly "I'm not supporting you in wasting your time on this anymore." She handed her the book of colleges and told her they needed to come up with a new plan for Beth's future. I think it's a pretty strong reaction to shut down a child's dream immediately after she loses out on one solo.

She wasn't a child. She wasn't even close to good enough. 

• Love 2