Type keyword(s) to search

Best Video Game Soundtracks

Robert Lynch
  • Start Topic

For sentimental reasons, I reckon I'd have to say Final Fantasy VII - The opening theme, the victory theme (which is just Final Fantasy in general), the Aeris theme, the creepy Sephiroth music and others. 

The Last of Us has good music too, and I absolutely loved a sort of discordant piano and violin track that was used as a trailer for the original Silent Hill game, but I don't know if it was actually in the game.

On 9/15/2019 at 3:23 PM, Danny Franks said:

For sentimental reasons, I reckon I'd have to say Final Fantasy VII - The opening theme, the victory theme (which is just Final Fantasy in general), the Aeris theme, the creepy Sephiroth music and others. 

That would be second for me. For the reasons you stated. The way the Aeris theme replaced the battle theme in the fight after that scene was a truly memorable gaming moment.

• Love 1

I guess I'll be contrary and say that Final Fantasy 8 is, as a whole, my favorite soundtrack.

As far as my favorite individual piece of music, it's either "Scars of Time" from Chrono Cross

Or, in perhaps an obvious choice that I refuse to be ashamed of, "Baba Yetu" from Civ 4.

Postmodern Jukebox is a musical experiment that takes pop songs and reinterprets them in older musical styles--eg, surf rock, torch songs, 50s crooners.  They've worked with video games before, having done the songs for Bioshock Infinite.

Anyway, they just released a delightful ragtime medley of Mario music with tap-dancing.

For good measure, the best of the Bioshock songs, "Tainted Love" done in the style of Ma Rainey.

• Love 1
(edited)

All of the Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row games I've played had awesome soundtracks. The only exception was the Saints IV add-on Gat Out of Hell, where there was no ambient music. However, I found that the album The Devil You Know by Heaven & Hell made a good informal soundtrack.

GTA IV deserves special mention for its "Independence Radio" station, which was what you used when you had the game play from a downloaded Mp3 folder. Taglines included "Independence Radio: Because nothing says Freedom like a bunch of music you didn't pay for!"

Scarface: The World is Yours had a soundtrack with options including both 1980s tunes and more current ones (for instance, you could play Ministry's 2006 Bush Trilogy track "Seńor Peligro" in a game set in the early 1980s).

L.A. Noire had a unique soundtrack filled with not only 1940s music, but also authentic 1940s radio plays.

Games with great original music soundtracks would include Half-Life 2 and Bully.

Edited by Sir RaiderDuck OMS
On 10/24/2020 at 1:28 PM, starri said:

The VR game I Expect You To Die, like MSG3, has a great theme that is both a great parody of Bond themes and better than a lot of actual Bond themes. 

Is the game as good as the intro? Because that was really good.

I might be the weird one here, but I tend to only in a few instances notice any kind of soundtrack in a video-game. Any kind of music is usually over-shadowed by ambient sound in the game (like explosions, punches etc.). But, I guess I liked Crusader Kings soundtrack... Also, yeah, GTA games, if radio stations can be called as sound-tracks (or in GTA SA where you could put your own music in there),

Edited by Rushmoras