Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Robert Lynch

Best Video Game Soundtracks

Dragon Age: Inquisition. I've played (checks Origin account) umm far to many hundreds of hours playing this game and the soundtrack always manages to be evocative of the emotions of the moment.

For sentimental reasons, I reckon I'd have to say Final Fantasy VII - The opening theme, the victory theme (which is just Final Fantasy in general), the Aeris theme, the creepy Sephiroth music and others. 

The Last of Us has good music too, and I absolutely loved a sort of discordant piano and violin track that was used as a trailer for the original Silent Hill game, but I don't know if it was actually in the game.

On 9/15/2019 at 3:23 PM, Danny Franks said:

For sentimental reasons, I reckon I'd have to say Final Fantasy VII - The opening theme, the victory theme (which is just Final Fantasy in general), the Aeris theme, the creepy Sephiroth music and others. 

That would be second for me. For the reasons you stated. The way the Aeris theme replaced the battle theme in the fight after that scene was a truly memorable gaming moment.

• Like 1

I guess I'll be contrary and say that Final Fantasy 8 is, as a whole, my favorite soundtrack.

As far as my favorite individual piece of music, it's either "Scars of Time" from Chrono Cross

Or, in perhaps an obvious choice that I refuse to be ashamed of, "Baba Yetu" from Civ 4.

Postmodern Jukebox is a musical experiment that takes pop songs and reinterprets them in older musical styles--eg, surf rock, torch songs, 50s crooners.  They've worked with video games before, having done the songs for Bioshock Infinite.

Anyway, they just released a delightful ragtime medley of Mario music with tap-dancing.

For good measure, the best of the Bioshock songs, "Tainted Love" done in the style of Ma Rainey.