Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E11: The Greatest

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

There was an ethnic/DNA test challenge where one was stuck, (Chef/Bear Julia Child?) where they told him the "just cook your food" trope. Sara really was creative in attaching her dish to location and Ali. Didn't Hung essentially blow off a breakfast challenge but redeemed himself with the narrative of his Smurf Village?

Many challenges involve a story, whether it;s the story you tell in what you call your dish, or sometimes the (sob) story when you serve it. Sometimes a narrative wasn't even asked for but when the Chef told what inspired the dish, it helps. Story telling is a feature not a "bug" in many cooking show challenges.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2019 at 11:04 PM, awaken said:

I’m on the east coast and it’s an irritatingly common thing 😞

I always thought is was an anglicized version of the Spanish term Mami, which is an endearment used since forever here in NYC by Puerto Ricans and Dominicans.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Many challenges involve a story, whether it;s the story you tell in what you call your dish, or sometimes the (sob) story when you serve it. Sometimes a narrative wasn't even asked for but when the Chef told what inspired the dish, it helps. Story telling is a feature not a "bug" in many cooking show challenges.

If someone cooks a better dish than the others yet gets snagged because they couldn't somehow find a heart rendering story to fit the challenge and impress the judges, I think it's more of a bug than a feature because I think the food should take precedence in that case.  But we'll never know when and if that happens.  This isn't "Top Heartfelt Story" it's "Top Chef".  I can even see that taking more precedence on a show like "Food Network Star" because the person would theoretically need to be able to spin a good narrative about their food on a TV show in order to be "relatable" as a TV personality.  But I guess that's what "Top Chef" is all about these days.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

If someone cooks a better dish than the others yet gets snagged because they couldn't somehow find a heart rendering story to fit the challenge and impress the judges, I think it's more of a bug than a feature because I think the food should take precedence in that case.  But we'll never know when and if that happens.  This isn't "Top Heartfelt Story" it's "Top Chef".  I can even see that taking more precedence on a show like "Food Network Star" because the person would theoretically need to be able to spin a good narrative about their food on a TV show in order to be "relatable" as a TV personality.  But I guess that's what "Top Chef" is all about these days.

I guess at this point there is nothing left to do though.   There is no other way to tie in Ali than to do a challenge in this format.  I just think it's one of those things where your background or ability to connect to the story/event/person you are presented with becomes an advantage.   You'd better hope your background in cooking your type of food will translate at the right time.   In Eddie's case this didn't happen.

For myself I can't imagine reading a dossier about a man, legend as he is, and then trying to connect some food stuff to it.  Of course I'm Asian so I can always make something up and bring it back to some family meal or inspiration that would make it Asian LOL, which is ironic since I typically don't cook a lot of Asian food.   Ali doesn't resonate with me for whatever reason so it would have been difficult to connect on the fly.   I also don't like boxing.  Everytime I get stuck watching those PPV events I wonder why anyone would put themselves through it....plus the blood.....oh the blood.   I cannot imagine being covered in someone's else's blood and spit and having it in my mouth.   

• Love 1

Eddie would have a hard time describing the shirt he was wearing. I really think if he was able to connect a story to his dish (instead of defaulting to anxiety and acting suicidal) he would have been able to stay. I thought the bread pudding was the worst.

The Gail stand in was beyond thrilled to have fufu. In the kitchen she couldn't contain her glee. Then the chef had truly emotional story and connection to Ali.

1 hour ago, bravofan27 said:

The Gail stand in was beyond thrilled to have fufu. In the kitchen she couldn't contain her glee. Then the chef had truly emotional story and connection to Ali.

She was so excited to have heard of fufu/had fufu which makes her a fufu expert, unless the one time she tried it was bad fufu but then she would have never known good fu from bad fu or mediocre fu or gramma's fu.   I think the fu was kind of funky....Leila describe the texture as "interesting" which is never a good sign LOL.  Can you imagine being that excited over injera?  OMG THIS INJERA IS AMAAAAAZING. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

The cheftestants don't have access to a computer or google and I think they can only use phones to contact their families.  So I don't know if Justin would have had any idea where in Maine that town is, or how far away from the ocean is it, unless it was specifically in the dossier.  That was all he had to go on, they can't research.  

• Love 2

I really liked this challenge, and I liked the connections that they were able to build. I admit, I too feel that seafood for Maine is totally acceptable. Inland Maine isn't like a landlocked state here. And I liked the idea of one punch of flavor. However, lukewarm cream soup and undercooked seafood sounds AWFUL. Really surprised that Justin stayed on those merits.

I also felt there were a few times when Layla Ali was thinking, "Yes, please tell me about my OWN FATHER, white dude," when Tom was talking. 

Anyway, go Eric! Still rooting for him!

• LOL 1
On 2/18/2019 at 12:11 PM, biakbiak said:

He never actually went to prison. 

On 2/18/2019 at 3:55 PM, Eulipian 5k said:

(Why can't I remember stuff that was 50 yrs ago?, Maybe I should check, lol)

• He was sentenced to prison. (Out on bail during appeal)
  • He was not a C. O. : they can be drafted for non combat duties
  • He appealed as a N.O.I. minister. (He preached a lot about why the war was immoral)

It was about the courage you have to resist your gov't's immoral policies.

He showed up at the Induction Center and refused to be inducted. He didn't run, dodge, or lie: he refused.

You both are correct.  He didn't go to prison.  Typing without thinking, bad.  

• Love 1
On 2/14/2019 at 7:15 PM, xaxat said:

It's gratifying how Ali's image has changed over time. I remember the seventies when many considered him a draft dodging uppity negro Muslim.

Sadly, there are those who never let go of their notions...whether right or wrong.  I met Cassius Clay in Phoenix in 1967-68 (can't recall exactly).  I worked in the Executive Offices of the Ramada Inn and some of the execs took their staffs across the street to the hotel to meet him.  I don't remember why he was visiting Phoenix.  Everyone was thrilled.  I knew he was good looking, but he was MORE handsome in person...and so friendly and funny.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:15 PM, xaxat said:

Hated Sara's whining about losing a random draw that she agreed to participate in. 

I don't usually follow this forum; I came here today specifically to see if someone commented on her bad attitude.  She "poor me's" everything!  I think the judges' decisions were colored by her little outbursts.  They didn't want to cause more rifts than SHE was causing.