S16.E11: The Greatest

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

20 hours ago, xaxat said:

Adrienne: Dried thyme

Dried thyme

Dried thyme

Oregano (dried thyme)

OMG.  I snorted wine out of my nose because I laughed so hard at that!

And count me in on the missing Gail bench, and the hating Padma's white eyeliner bench.  WTF?

I hate boxing, but I loved Muhammad Ali.  I was a little girl in the '70s, and when I saw him on TV or heard him on the radio, all I could think was "there is a great man."  I didn't know any of the political stuff.   I do know now, and I still think he was a great man.  I'm not ashamed to say that I teared up and flat out bawled when he lit the Olympic flame that time. 

It must be exhausting to be Laili Ali though.  She doesn't get to take a break, she's been given the responsibility of holding her father's persona alive.  She doesn't get to be human and roll her eyes and be sarcastic during the never ending bombardment of admiration.  I'll bet on the inside she has thought a time or two "Man, you think he was so great?  He could clear a room with one 'pull my finger' joke..."

• LOL 2
  • Love 15

I thought this episode sucked and Eddie was robbed.  I hatewatch Food Network Star for making their chefs bend their cooking to fit a story, because I only care about the food and don't give a FF on a RD about the story.  They've done plenty of stupid things but I always thought of TC as above that until this season.  Then they doubled down on it on LCK.

• Love 8

I've been thinking about what Eddy could have done differently with his dish.  We had duck last weekend and I love it but I'm not familiar with Hudson Valley duck.  Ours was frozen and I have no idea where it came from.  Both of my grandparents were New Yorkers (Niagara Falls and Sidney) and our daughter went to school at NYU.  I think if duck weren't available I would have gone the Big Apple route and done a pork dish with apples or something.  Chicken has to spectacular to even register (I have an unrefined palate).

I'm always going to give Tom C. a pass.  We've eaten at his River Park restaurant several times and the food was great.  Even greater were his River Park business cards--they were small seed packets.  Loved them.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I thought it was funny that Eric won with fufu because he was just on the Pack Your Knives podcast and he and the host were talking Ghanaian food and how neither like fufu and both prefer banku as the starch side to eat the meal with.

Oooh, thanks for mentioning the podcast!  I didn't know about it- will look forward to giving it a listen!

I remember way back when Layla hosted an American Gladiator type show? That's when I first really came to know and like her. Her father was way before my time but I always appreciated his determination and fight to stand up for what was right. 

I think Eric is my favorite followed by Kelsey (mostly I like her food- her personality is hit or miss).

My parents will sometimes pick up KFC on Sunday's after church when they bring the kids back to us (they sleepover most Saturday's with my parents and while church isn't my thing- it gets the kids out of the house and gives me and my husband a free night). It's edible but not something I ever choose to eat when I'm out. 

That being said, TC is certainly dictating my weekend menu as of late. Last weekend I had to try a Juciy Lucy burger- it was ok. I still like Five Guys better. This weekend I'm going to have to get my fave chicken sandwich at Buxton Hall https://www.bonappetit.com/story/best-fried-chicken-sandwich-2016?verso=true. We can get there early and grab a beer at the brewery next door before there is a line at the restaurant. By 5:05 there is usually an hour wait. I'm not much of a fried chicken person in general ( from the south and my mom never made it growing up and I certainly never have) but this chicken sand. is seriously yum!! 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, RealityWatcher said:

Yeah, although I am rooting for Eric, I've learned ever since the Nick/Nina finale that *usually* my front runner does not win. I'm hoping it is not the case this season.

For what it's worth, this episode showed me that Tom really seems to like Eric. The mini-speech he gave him about his cooking of African food just seemed to indicate that Eric is clearly one of Tom's favorite remaining chefs. 

No, what it really showed me is that although Tom may be a fan of the food, and Eric Tom is also aware of the conversation about the lack of representation of traditional African and Southern food in the fine dining arena and that it would make a good moment on television for him to acknowledge it.  Similar to year that MS won and they talked about his traditional food.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I had a co-worker years back start calling me mama, I finally told her, hey I am not a mama.. so quit calling me that.. 

Starting to dislike Sarah, she is kinda coming off as a whiny complainer... 

I looked it up after this show and someone had a great comeback.....to ask the person "did I give birth to you and I don't know it?"  I hate nicknames in general, even by people who know each other, but I can't imagine why total strangers think it is o.k.  I feel the same way about dude, sweetheart, queen, bub, and the list goes on... In a place of business it should be ma'am, sir, or something of that nature.  End of.  Maybe someone never had children, may be a painful reason for that and here goes some loco calling them "mama."   Not everyone would know it is some type of "endearment."   Just no....

• Love 4

This is top chef, not top storyteller. The winner should be the one who makes the best tasting dish. What's "interesting" to Tom is not necessarily interesting to someone in Africa.

Fufu is an extremely basic dish. It's basically like steaming a bowl of rice, like Nilou said. Pretty much everyone in West Africa can and does make it. To have it win a close to final challenge on Top Chef is laughable. It's the equivalent of someone steaming a bowl of rice as their dish. 

One of the problems with these shows, in my opinions, is how we "exotify" other cultures. Something is automatically exciting because it is unknown to the judges.

Edited by bobbobbob199
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, bobbobbob199 said:

Fufu is an extremely basic dish. It's basically like steaming a bowl of rice, like Nilou said. Pretty much everyone in West Africa can and does make it. To have it win a close to final challenge on Top Chef is laughable. It's the equivalent of someone steaming a bowl of rice as their dish. 

1. Even though fufu is used like a rice equivalent making it from scratch is a lot more difficult and time consuming than steaming a bowl of rice.

2. He didn’t just make fufu he made a delicious stew.

• Love 24

I feel like they've reached the point in the season where they're running out of regional challenges and just go to Wikipedia to figure out what else is important in that area. I adore Muhammad Ali, but this challenge felt like a total reach. 

Sara grated on me during the part where they were menu planning. All the others had a very clear idea for what they wanted to do by drawing inspiration from a specific fight. Then Sara was just like, "No, I don't want to go first." She didn't seem to actually have an idea of what she wanted to do. She just wanted to pout and whine. She should have been gone weeks ago and it drives me nuts that she's still there. 

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Bucket said:

I would not mind being called Mama or Mrs like they do in England or Miss, even dear.  Just do not call me ma'am!  Do not. I hate it.  People think it is being courteous and proper, it is not. 

I would not mind being called Mama or Mrs like they do in England or Miss, even dear.  Just do not call me ma'am!  Do not. I hate it.  People think it is being courteous and proper, it is not. 

There was a time in my life when I was offended by "ma'am."  (And could giggle about my attitude, to be honest!)  So now I see someone drop something from their grocery cart. Do I say "lady!" or "hey you," or "ma'am?"  I'm over it.  Trying to be helpful and courteous.  Sorry if "ma'am" is offensive; just trying to get your attention and be helpful.  ☺️

• Love 10

I'll miss seeing the look of sheer panic in Eddie Money's eyes.

I always have the urge to tackle Sara with a hairbrush & lipstick.

My experience with fufu is that it's utterly addictive, but it's a bland starch you eat with your hands. I wanted to hear more about Eric's red sauce.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

feel like they've reached the point in the season where they're running out of regional challenges and just go to Wikipedia to figure out what else is important in that area. I adore Muhammad Ali, but this challenge felt like a total reach. 

Interesting to me I imagine both Ali and KFC were on the board from the moment they started thinking about going to Kentucky.

This is probably close to Eric’s red sauce/stew.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

1. Even though fufu is used like a rice equivalent making it from scratch is a lot more difficult and time consuming than steaming a bowl of rice.

2. He didn’t just make fufu he made a delicious stew.

Probably between steaming rice and making pasta from scratch. Somewhere along the lines of making mashed potatoes. 

I just think it makes Tom seem very uncultured to 1. not have heard of fufu before and 2. be automatically impressed by someone making it. It is definitely harder to make pasta from scratch than make fufu, yet I don't see Tom so impressed with pasta. 

2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

No, what it really showed me is that although Tom may be a fan of the food, and Eric Tom is also aware of the conversation about the lack of representation of traditional African and Southern food in the fine dining arena and that it would make a good moment on television for him to acknowledge it.  Similar to year that MS won and they talked about his traditional food.

While I think he seems to really like Eric, I do agree with your comment and I do think that African and even southern cuisine and "Soul Food" don't get the culinary recognition they deserve. My mom is black and a Detroit native, so I grew up eating delicious Soul Food on holidays, and on Sundays when we'd gather at my grandma's or one of my aunts' houses. It has always frustrated me that some people don't even recognize it as a cuisine. Also frustrating is the lack of representation for African cuisines.

I like Eric because he is talented, has been one of the more consistent chefs this season, and seems like a decent guy. But it will be an extra bonus if he wins, to see someone who does African cuisine get the spotlight. 

African cuisines are definitely worthy of the conversation.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, bobbobbob199 said:

Probably between steaming rice and making pasta from scratch. Somewhere along the lines of making mashed potatoes. 

I just think it makes Tom seem very uncultured to 1. not have heard of fufu before and 2. be automatically impressed by someone making it. It is definitely harder to make pasta from scratch than make fufu, yet I don't see Tom so impressed with pasta. 

When Tom asked what Fufu was, I had a hard time buying that he actually didn't have at least a basic idea of what it was. I thought perhaps he was asking just so Eric would explain it more in-depth for the cameras and where he was trying to go with his particular Fufu dish. 

Nevertheless, I feel like Tom does become impressed when people make pasta from scratch that is actually good.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, RealityWatcher said:

While I think he seems to really like Eric, I do agree with your comment and I do think that African and even southern cuisine and "Soul Food" don't get the culinary recognition they deserve.

The market's pretty strong for Southern, Cajan-creole, Caribbean Spanish & African , and N African food with folks, even mastered by "non Africans.  I was just irked by last season's choice of another Pasta Palace over innovated Soul, like Chris or Adrienne.

• Love 3

I think Eric's dish may have won more for gamesmanship than for actual taste.  It fit the challenge perfectly and he put all of his heart into it because of his personal connection to the food.  I think sometimes that takes precedence over taste in the judges eyes.  I'm not sure I agree that it should.  I agree with @Totale in that I only really care about the food.  Sure, the feeling behind it means something but I am just not loving the gimmicky cooking challenges where they make them cook something inspired by some kind of theme completely unrelated to cooking.  I think they should find another way to get them to be creative.  I think Eric is a fine chef and I did like the way they honored Ali's life, though.

2 hours ago, bobbobbob199 said:

One of the problems with these shows, in my opinions, is how we "exotify" other cultures. Something is automatically exciting because it is unknown to the judges.

I think the judges are affected by the trendiness of food, and right now anything "exotic" is hot, which may color their opinions somewhat.  I am over trendy cuisines myself.  Just cook great food, don't look down on something because it's not this year's current trend and "exaltify" cuisines lesser known in the US just because it's trendy to do so.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, bobbobbob199 said:

Heh, I agree it's a basic dish and I was surprised that everybody didn't know it. But then I thought of polenta, and grits, and Fancy Toast! wins and realized, "It's all about the food".

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Eulipian 5k said:

The market's pretty strong for Southern, Cajan-creole, Caribbean Spanish & African , and N African food with folks, even mastered by "non Africans.  I was just irked by last season's choice of another Pasta Palace over innovated Soul, like Chris or Adrienne.

Oh, yeah. When I made that comment, I was actually thinking of how Cajun, Creole, and Caribbean food have much more representation than, say, West or Central Africa (even though the former cuisines have African influence). I mean, Eric is one of the chefs this season who has made several dishes that a lot people haven't heard of and/or are unfamiliar with.

Another interesting thing is how African cuisine has influenced Southern Cuisine in general, which Kelsey noted in the second episode when they were discussing Eric's dish in relation to a southern challenge. She said something like, "I don't mean to be racist, but..." and then proceeded to say something that was not racist at all and was actually thoughtful to the meal they were planning. Lol.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, RealityWatcher said:

I was actually thinking of how Cajun, Creole, and Caribbean food have much more representation than, say, West or Central Africa (even though the former cuisines have African influence).

It's probably a bigger scene in Europe, history and distance, but the Senegalese are on the move in SFO and NY , bwa ha-ha.

1 hour ago, RealityWatcher said:

Another interesting thing is how African cuisine has influenced Southern Cuisine in general, which Kelsey noted in the second episode when they were discussing Eric's dish in relation to a southern challenge. She said something like, "I don't mean to be racist, but..." and then proceeded to say something that was not racist at all and was actually thoughtful to the meal they were planning. Lol.

She also in this challenge asked Eric if he was cool taking that round and making an African dish, or if he felt pigeonholed.  She seems thoughtful.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Heh, I agree it's a basic dish and I was surprised that everybody didn't know it. But then I thought of polenta, and grits, and Fancy Toast! wins and realized, "It's all about the food".

1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

I think Eric's dish may have won more for gamesmanship than for actual taste.  It fit the challenge perfectly and he put all of his heart into it because of his personal connection to the food.  I think sometimes that takes precedence over taste in the judges eyes.  I'm not sure I agree that it should.  I agree with @Totale in that I only really care about the food.  Sure, the feeling behind it means something but I am just not loving the gimmicky cooking challenges where they make them cook something inspired by some kind of theme completely unrelated to cooking.  I think they should find another way to get them to be creative.  I think Eric is a fine chef and I did like the way they honored Ali's life, though.

I think the judges are affected by the trendiness of food, and right now anything "exotic" is hot, which may color their opinions somewhat.  I am over trendy cuisines myself.  Just cook great food, don't look down on something because it's not this year's current trend and "exaltify" cuisines lesser known in the US just because it's trendy to do so.

Eric also made a stew.  I wished I could see the recipe.  However, if its similar to what I think it is, its high on the difficulty level (my personal opinion).  Its a pretty hard dish to balance (also a lot of prep, and a lot of cooking time).  I'm curious how he got it done in a short amount of time.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Thumper said:

There was a time in my life when I was offended by "ma'am."  (And could giggle about my attitude, to be honest!)  So now I see someone drop something from their grocery cart. Do I say "lady!" or "hey you," or "ma'am?"  I'm over it.  Trying to be helpful and courteous.  Sorry if "ma'am" is offensive; just trying to get your attention and be helpful.  ☺️

I say Miss.  If someone calls me ma'am it this situation I ignore it.  If I am doing business with someone I correct them by saying please call me _____ (my first name).  I am not offended, just annoyed.  

• Love 3

Just to chime in on the ma'am conversation. I was taught to say ma'am and sir as a sign of respect not necessarily an age thing. I was corrected if I didn't say it. It is hard for me to see why folks get upset with the term. It was how I was raised.....which granted was a really long time ago! Just southern thing, I guess.

• Love 20

I really don't see the fuss about Eric winning for making a simple, traditional African dish when Eddie won the beef challenge with stuffed cabbage and Kelsey won a challenge with an oyster.  Anyone with a Eastern European grandmother grew up eating stuffed cabbage, and quite possibly better versions.  It is one of the easiest main dishes found in the cuisine.  Eric played right into the challenge, and if he had failed would probably have gone home.  

• Love 9
2 hours ago, suebee12 said:

Just to chime in on the ma'am conversation. I was taught to say ma'am and sir as a sign of respect not necessarily an age thing. I was corrected if I didn't say it. It is hard for me to see why folks get upset with the term. It was how I was raised.....which granted was a really long time ago! Just southern thing, I guess.

We all have different sensibilities on many topics.  This is just another point of view, nothing more.   

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I really don't see the fuss about Eric winning for making a simple, traditional African dish when Eddie won the beef challenge with stuffed cabbage and Kelsey won a challenge with an oyster.  Anyone with a Eastern European grandmother grew up eating stuffed cabbage, and quite possibly better versions.  It is one of the easiest main dishes found in the cuisine.  Eric played right into the challenge, and if he had failed would probably have gone home.  

I agree, Mei Lin won season 12.  The very first challenge she made congee and her native food, often simple, took her to the end.  Tom says all we want is good food, be yourself.  This is not a fine dining competition though a challenge might specifically request that. 

The Ali challenge was about taking a moment in time from his life and making a dish that reflected it.  So it was about both the food and the story.  I thought it was a creative idea for a challenge. 

• Love 8
On 2/15/2019 at 1:01 PM, Snewtsie said:

I'm pretty tired of Tom's sarcasm.  I'm on the west coast & have never been to Maine, but I rolled my eyes when Tom criticized a seafood inspiration for Maine.  Even if not directly a seaside town, I thought, "yeah but it can't be that far from the coast... it's Maine, right?"  Color me simple, I guess.  The cheftestants are pretty darn creative in the time they are allotted, and I wish Tom would cut them some slack.  I used to love Tom's warm personality, but now I see a disgruntled guy who enjoys slinging insults just for the sake of it.  I miss the old Tom.

Thank you! I have been critical for some time of Tom's smarmy, snarky persona. Many years ago he used to be a mentor to the contestants and treated them like they were students. Now as his star has risen and he has acquired wealth and celebrity due to this show he is less of a mentor and more of a pompous ass. I have said for some time that Top Chef needs an overhaul...maybe some new hosts and a change up in the cast of celebrity chefs that make appearances and do some judging. This season has been underwhelming, IMO. Tom could easily be replaced by some other chef who is less sarcastic and more encouraging. I'm surprised he has the time to do this show at all frankly...as owner of several restaurants in various places and other business ventures along with a wife and two small children at home. Surprised Padma didn't wear her cornrows and wife beater to this week's challenge in Louisville with Leila Ali...LOL!

• Love 2
18 hours ago, bobbobbob199 said:

I just think it makes Tom seem very uncultured to 1. not have heard of fufu before and 2. be automatically impressed by someone making it.

17 hours ago, RealityWatcher said:

Oh, yeah. When I made that comment, I was actually thinking of how Cajun, Creole, and Caribbean food have much more representation than, say, West or Central Africa (even though the former cuisines have African influence). I mean, Eric is one of the chefs this season who has made several dishes that a lot people haven't heard of and/or are unfamiliar with.

I don't think Tom comes off as uncultured. Besides this show, Tom has got his businesses to run. He's a busy guy. He's most likely to try a new cuisine/restaurant when it's received good reviews. He's not the host of a culinary travelogue. If a West African restaurant hasn't received good reviews, I cannot imagine that Tom taking time out of his day to schlep and find a mediocre/bad west African restaurant.

The African restaurants that seem to have the best reviews in NYC and most major metropolitan regions are Ethiopian, Somalian, North African, Senegalese, Ivorian, and South African. I say this is as a Nigerian-American, I see so few West African restaurants that have figured out how to finesse their food and presentation to make it enticing and not intimidating to Western audiences. I still see the same shitty butchery and food made with Maggi cubes at restaurants, which could be found at anyone's house. And I've often had a hard time explaining to friends and family why that might be a problem, which is especially funny when these same people will complain about how there are a plethora of Chinese, Indian, Mexican, and Italian restaurants. There's nary the acknowledgement that most of these cuisines DID have to adapt to Western tastes and expectations. It was only after they became mainstays in American culture and cuisine that they began offering more "authentic" food. I'll talk to some Nigerians and try to explain why we need restaurants that aren't super authentic; they're like "It's not authentic; I no chop." Ok.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Useful 2
  • Love 15
23 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

these same people will complain about how there are a plethora of Chinese, Indian, Mexican, and Italian restaurants. There's nary the acknowledgement that most of these cuisines DID have to adapt to Western tastes and expectations. It was only after they became mainstays in American culture and cuisine that they began offering more "authentic" food.

Exactly. If you  go to Italy and ask for pizza or spaghetti & meatballs, or India looking for a curry duck roti, or China asking for  chow mein, you get the gas face or it won't be what you see at the "plethora of Chinese, Indian, Mexican, and Italian restaurants" in the US.

Edited by Eulipian 5k
must have
  • Love 2
On 2/14/2019 at 9:15 PM, xaxat said:

Hated Sara's whining about losing a random draw that she agreed to participate in. 

On 2/14/2019 at 10:55 PM, Msample said:

Sara redeemed herself winning the QF then almost immediately lost any goodwill by whining again about her course choice. 

On 2/14/2019 at 11:08 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

Sara also doesn't this weird thing with her lips protruding in a buck tooth kind of way when she gets nervous and pleased with herself.  I find her entire affect fake.

Yes to all of these. Sarah's martyr act, poor, poor her, "having" to always cook a Kentucky dish (just ignore the fact she spends pretty much every challenge telling the rest how her dishes are going to be heads above what their version would be, because she's from Kentucky and they aren't) has grated from the start. And while I would like to give her the benefit of the doubt for nerves from speaking with a microphone, she seemed to amp up the "y'alls" when she was talking about her inspiration and it seemed contrived. As did her sudden story about the real reason she pissed and cried when the waffle mix was called out having to do with her grandfather. She's long outstayed her welcome and I'm going to be pissed if she makes it to the end. 

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

And while I would like to give her the benefit of the doubt for nerves from speaking with a microphone, she seemed to amp up the "y'alls" when she was talking about her inspiration and it seemed contrived. 

Ha, I actually mentioned this when I watched the show, but forgot about when I posted here. I definitely heard what seemed like at least one extra y'all. :-)

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:01 PM, Snewtsie said:

I'm pretty tired of Tom's sarcasm.  I'm on the west coast & have never been to Maine, but I rolled my eyes when Tom criticized a seafood inspiration for Maine.  Even if not directly a seaside town, I thought, "yeah but it can't be that far from the coast... it's Maine, right?"

I agree.  Whenever I think of Maine, lobster comes to mind, along with other assorted seafood - and maple syrup too!    I thought Tom's criticism was a little harsh in this instance.  No need to be an ass about it. 

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 3

This episode was really great, but I'm not a fried chicken fan. I love baked chicken. No one ever makes that on top chef though. Too pedestrian I guess, and not much technique required (which is why I make it so much, LOL). I thought Kelsey's bread pudding looked strange and dense. I would have voted for her to go off, since she kept blubbering about kids and loving kids, but the kids had nothing to do with the story she was given. She was reaching on that one.

I sort of thought that Tom and Layla weren't really connecting. He looked bored when she spoke, and then he said something about the Congo inspired dish being like Ali because, "He didn't let anyone tell him what he was supposed to be" Layla just looked at him like, "What the f are you talking about?" Ali wasn't a rebel, he was known for being a fantastic athlete and humanitarian, not someone who defied adversity. Granted, I'm sure he did, but that wasn't his mantra. So Tom saying that, as a white man to a black woman about her father is just not going to come off well, despite the intent. I cringed when Tom said that-- not all successful people of color "defied adversity" and/or want to be ascribed that description.

Any-hoo.

I think Tom liked the Congo dish thing and I think he likes Kelsey. But, IMO, Layla didn't really did the Congo dish. She did like Eddie's chicken. Given the challenge, I feel like the food that won should have been something that Ali would have at some time eaten. I would have made something that he might eat after the given scenario.

In any case, I felt a big disconnect between Layla and Tom. I think if it was just up to her, Eddie's dish wouldn't have lost. But yeah, it was a no-brainer given Tom makes the final decision.

Edited by bravofan27
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, bravofan27 said:

No one ever makes that on top chef though. Too pedestrian I guess

Eddie made it this episode of course he went home.

11 minutes ago, bravofan27 said:

Ali wasn't a rebel, he was known for being a fantastic athlete and humanitarian, not someone who defied adversity.

Being tried and sentenced for standing against the government because of your beliefs is the pretty much the definition of rebel.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Eddie made it this episode of course he went home.

Going to jail for standing against the government because of your beliefs is the pretty much the definition of rebel.

He went to jail for draft evasion. I don't think, if that's the only example of Ali's being a rebel, that is what Tom was referring too. I think Tom was talking out of his ass. Dodging the draft is not something Ali was known for.

4 minutes ago, bravofan27 said:

He went to jail for draft evasion. I don't think, if that's the only example of Ali's being a rebel, that is what Tom was referring too. I think Tom was talking out of his ass. Dodging the draft is not something Ali was known for.

He didn’t “dodge the draft” he refused to serve because he was against the war and cited his right as a  conscientious objector and is most definitely something he is known for. His sentence was eventually overturned by the Supreme Court.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 20
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He didn’t “dodge the draft” he refused to serve because he was against the war. And it is most definitely something he is known for. His sentence was eventually overturned by the Supreme Court.

As did the majority of people who dodged the draft. In any case, my point is that I don't think that is what Tom was referring too, and I don't think it's something that Layla would have wanted brought up if he was referring to it. Her look said something was wrong to me. Just my opinion based solely on what I observed in the episode.

Edited by bravofan27