Type keyword(s) to search

S38.E01: It Smells Like Success

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

39 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Wasn't really paying attention. Just got bits and pieces. One, what kind of nickname is "Wardog"? If his real name is Herbert or Floyd, maybe I could give him a pass.

Apparently it was his nickname in the military (Bronze Star guy) and you know Probst.  Why use a regular name when he could use this.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I was wondering if anyone was going to question the title of the season.

I'm a cynic.  

I wish someone had asked Jeff that question.

His ideal response: didn't you read the 25 page application and all the fine print?

Extinction means extinction.  Only one of you will get a plane or any other ticket back home.  Unless you can make a reed raft.  You did read Thor Heyerdahl and take that recommended short course in celestial navigation? Didn't you?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Yeah, the premiere needs to be longer than 60 minutes. I think we only saw Day 2 once on both tribes until after the break it was already Day 3. 

Nobody really annoys me yet. I'm relieved Kelley and Lauren stayed, and Reem went. Can't say I'm happy that Reem isn't truly gone. 

Didn't think I would like Wendy pre-game, but I actually like her. Not a bad premiere, just wish it was longer than one hour.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

I think I might enjoy this season once I manage to keep straight who's who and who's on which tribe,

I got the a Tribe Tracker thread made up for just this reason.  I get the feeling it's going to get a lot of use this season.

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Reem and Wendy voted for Kelly and Lauren, everyone else split the Reem/Wendy vote. 

So Plan Voodoo from both majority and minority....

2 hours ago, PaperTree said:

The cliche black man who can't swim.  Ugh

Less that cliche and more the cliche "poor and rural person who can't swim".  Keith said he was a country boy form North Carolina.  Maybe a few swimmin' holes around where he grew up, but probably not too many pools and nothing very deep if there was.

2 hours ago, North of Eden said:

*Probst assigning special "Last Name" status to a fave in this case Wentworth (is she the one that played with her father the first time)

Yes she is.  But calling her Wentworth is a holdover from her second game, where there were two Kell(e)ys playing.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

One, what kind of nickname is "Wardog"? If his real name is Herbert or Floyd, maybe I could give him a pass.

An annoying one.  His real name is Dan, and I'll be using that all season.  Just like I don't use the stupid self-induced nicknames for Benji or Troy.

Edited by SVNBob
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Sometimes I feel like the only person on the planet who doesn’t find Joe appealing whatsoever. And that mustache is not doing him any favors.  The sooner he's blindsided and gone from the game...uh...oh, yeah.  The latest and not-so-greatest twist in Survivor means that even if Joe gets voted out early, we'll have him shoved down our throats on a weekly basis regardless. 

And an advantage MENU? Whaaaat?  I see that we’re off and running with the ridiculousness on Survivor early.

For all the surprise that Reem was open about knowing she was the target and how pissed off she was about it...I was surprised the vote was that close between her and Wendy.

To me, Joe was a nice guy on a season full of terrible guys so really stood out. But he never really appealed to me either. I find him really bland and watch him and just wish I were watching Malcolm instead. Malcolm, I find very appealing.

• Love 12

With modern Survivor you really need a 90 minute or 2 hour premiere episode. It felt like an ordinary episode which the first episode shouldn’t be. That’s why everyone was so jazzed after last seasons premiere episode. You got to see and hear from everyone. This episode was so rushed. Even the marooning from the boat went so fast. It was like start, grab, someone can’t swim & then they’re rowing away. 

• Love 12
10 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

if you don’t want people to call you Mom, then don’t pick up after them like they’re untidy teenagers.

Exactly. Who died and made you Alice? I don't think we've ever seen anyone on self-appointed laundry-drying duty before and this is Season 38! "Oh let me move everyone's shoes into the sun" uhhh... no thanks. I'd like my things to stay where I left them.

2 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Even the marooning from the boat went so fast.

Yeah, that was crazy. It also seemed like they did the worst job ever of clearing out the possible items there for them. I saw all kinds of boxes that were unsearched etc. But yes let's make sure we get this bunch of bananas thrown overboard! Total chaos.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, GaT said:

I haven't watched the episode yet, I didn't even know Survivor had started up again. Is this season unusually quick after the last?

The last couple of years they have put The Amazing Race in between the two seasons of Survivor.  This year they are putting TAR's season on after Survivor.  Have no idea why.  TAR has been in the can for like half a year and ready for broadcast.  Maybe they want to use Survivor's ad time to promote TAR this year because TAR had a "brought back" season featuring teams made up of former TAR, Survivor and Big Brother players.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, green said:

The last couple of years they have put The Amazing Race in between the two seasons of Survivor.  This year they are putting TAR's season on after Survivor.  Have no idea why.  TAR has been in the can for like half a year and ready for broadcast.  Maybe they want to use Survivor's ad time to promote TAR this year because TAR had a "brought back" season featuring teams made up of former TAR, Survivor and Big Brother players.

I've been waiting for TAR, I wish that was on instead, I feel like I just watched a season of Survivor, but it feels like a couple of years since the last TAR.

• Love 8

News anchor dude reminds me way too much of Jared the pedophile subway guy. Sorry guy, I'm sure you're just swell.

Why does Wardog go by Wardog? Too many Dans in the game or something (can't remember anyone's name so far except for bluegreenhairedWendy)? Or just another typical fragile man ego? Let me guess, he probably drives a lifted truck. 

I had a hard time paying enough attention during this premiere. Is "Reem" her actual name? 

• Love 6

I was fine with Reem being voted off.

She didn't really make a case for herself at TC.  Instead of saying, "I am strong, I work hard around camp and did well in the challenge (not sure if that is true or not)", she blasted the group for "age discrimination" and basically told them they were a bunch of idiots for not thinking she was great.

Based upon the earlier conversation, it seemed like Wendy might have been voted out, if Reem hadn't been so obnoxious at TC.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

Man bun AND a handlebar moustache? Look who’s made it his mission to outplay, outlast, outhipster. All he needs is a pair of skinny jeans and some glasses with no lenses.  

As much as I hate the Older Woman Voted Off First cliche, this one kind of had it coming. In a week where everyone’s looking for an easy first boot, why make yourself conspicuous by doing a bunch of unrequested “favors” (seriously, lady, hands off my shit) and then arguing about it? Also, if you don’t want people to call you Mom, then don’t pick up after them like they’re untidy teenagers.

Word. And oh man, I loathe that whole glasses-with-no-lenses look. Every time I see that look on someone, I want to slap them and tell them to fuck off with that shit. And I agree with other posters here who say they don't see the appeal of Joe. I mean, yes, nice face, great body, but men with long hair do nothing for me. Men with man-buns do even less than that.

Also, seriously, Keith? No idea how to swim? I get that sometimes people may get the call and have only days to prepare, or you may apply and get the call years later (like what happened to my husband), but why in the everloving fuck would anyone apply to be on Survivor and not learn how to swim? If you're even contemplating applying for this show, learn and practice how to make fire, and learn to fucking swim!! It's not that difficult to comprehend!

Reem was irritating to the max, but the Cool Kids immediately targeting her, Wendy and Keith because they dared to go off and teach Keith to swim made me dislike them all, especially Wardog (ugh). I mean, how dare this little girl not fall in line and immediately do my bidding when ordered to? Just so gross.

Gavin is cute, nice body, but that huge honking tattoo on his entire shoulder just kills it. I swear, seeing attractive half-naked people who don't have Sharpie Tattoos in random places all over their bodies is like finding a unicorn these days.

Agree with others who say this premiere should have been 90 minutes. Go David!

Edited by HeShallBMySquishy
  • LOL 4
  • Love 15

It was Shirin who blithely strutted around bottomless. Aubrey would be mortified to have any one think it was her.

Love, Love, Love the dragon/dino footed snuffer!!!!!

I love all the returning players.  

Really there have been sooo many Kellys on this show, so I'm cool with her being called Wentworth.

• Love 10

Not gonna lie, I was looking forward to tonight's premiere, after a very satisfying last season. But this premiere, starting with its too-short 60 minutes....doesn't bode well.

Liked Keith with his backstory, but I'm conflicted about his narking on Reem and Wendy. It saved his butt for sure, but doesn't it also paint him as an untrustworthy person to enter into an alliance with?

Not a fan of TV News Anchor for pointing out the swimming lesson as the trio to pick off. They also happened to be the marginalized folk, gathered in one place. What a coinkidink.

Liked the new Tribal Council set! Also the set for the RedExEx Island shelter.

Jury's out on the returning players. The main plus is, it's four less names that I have to learn. Didn't have a strong feeling about Wentworth before, but her eyerolls during Tribal might lead to a negative one if they continue.

Menu of advantages--really? Let me borrow one of Wentworth's eyerolls here.

Yeah, that was a trainwreck of a Tribal for Reem. It was definitely an "OMG Stop Talking" moment, as her lack of social intelligence spiralled down. It'll be interesting to see her on RedExEx Island, since we're stuck with the "twist" this season.

I do like Wendy so far, it remains to be seen whether her being a Survivor fangrrl will help her or hurt her.

• Love 6

I really wanted to reach through the screen and slap Kelley across the face a couple of times during that tribal. That smug, pained, cranky face and rolling her eyes; thought she was loathsome and overrated in her prior seasons, and this just cemented it.

I am all GO, REEM! now. I want her to beast it out on that island (and swim over at night and rearrange all their underwear while they sleep) just to stick it up them.

She and Wendy were right, they needed to split up KW and Lauren - preferably by getting insufferably smug out first, I think. 

They are not a very appealing bunch, so far. Yellow, whatever it's called, seemed a little more appealing. One hopes...

• LOL 3
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Why does Wardog go by Wardog? Too many Dans in the game or something (can't remember anyone's name so far except for bluegreenhairedWendy)? Or just another typical fragile man ego? Let me guess, he probably drives a lifted truck. 

Ex-military, Bronze Star and in my book he’s earned the right to call himself whatever he wants.

5 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Less that cliche and more the cliche "poor and rural person who can't swim".  Keith said he was a country boy form North Carolina.  Maybe a few swimmin' holes around where he grew up, but probably not too many pools and nothing very deep if there was.

As someone who was born and raised in NC, there are plenty of places to go swimming. I grew up in a very small town and we had a community pool, and the lifguards gave swimming lessons to anyone, free of charge. We’ve got a state-of-the-art pool now with a large fabric dome they put over it in the wintertime so you can still swim in the cold weather. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I remember Osten being terrible at swimming and freaking out in like, waist deep water.  .

To be fair, he was being terrorised by a pelican at time.

8 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

If they hadn’t gotten rid of Reem when they did, a machete would have wound up in her back. That woman is so freaking annoying, I don’t remember anyone like her ever being on the show before. 

Natalie was just last season!

• LOL 16
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Not gonna lie, I was looking forward to tonight's premiere, after a very satisfying last season. But this premiere, starting with its too-short 60 minutes....doesn't bode well.

Liked Keith with his backstory, but I'm conflicted about his narking on Reem and Wendy. It saved his butt for sure, but doesn't it also paint him as an untrustworthy person to enter into an alliance with?

Not a fan of TV News Anchor for pointing out the swimming lesson as the trio to pick off. They also happened to be the marginalized folk, gathered in one place. What a coinkidink.

Liked the new Tribal Council set! Also the set for the RedExEx Island shelter.

Jury's out on the returning players. The main plus is, it's four less names that I have to learn. Didn't have a strong feeling about Wentworth before, but her eyerolls during Tribal might lead to a negative one if they continue.

Menu of advantages--really? Let me borrow one of Wentworth's eyerolls here.

Yeah, that was a trainwreck of a Tribal for Reem. It was definitely an "OMG Stop Talking" moment, as her lack of social intelligence spiralled down. It'll be interesting to see her on RedExEx Island, since we're stuck with the "twist" this season.

I do like Wendy so far, it remains to be seen whether her being a Survivor fangrrl will help her or hurt her.

Keith did what he needed to do.  The number one rule for the first TC is "anyone but me".

Riding and dying with a 3 person alliance, with people you have known for 3 days, against 6 people, is not a winning strategy.

In the words of the great philosopher, Cyrus, from, "The Warriors", "Can you count, suckas?"

I also thought Ron Burgundy was smart to point out the group of 3 to the others. It took the target completely off himself and made him part of the inner circle, without looking like the leader or a big threat.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, violet and green said:

I really wanted to reach through the screen and slap Kelley across the face a couple of times during that tribal. That smug, pained, cranky face and rolling her eyes; thought she was loathsome and overrated in her prior seasons, and this just cemented it

Agreed, and I'll never forget how condescending she was to her father.  She was just sure he was ruining her game. 

I didn't like Reem with her arrogant belief that she knew better than everyone else about when they should be drinking water and how they should be drying their clothes, but her tribe was beyond foolish in not voting out Wentworth at the first opportunity.

Never much liked Joe and now he seems to have bought into his own hype.  Once you start worrying that you're just too amazing, it's time to give up Reality TV.

So far I like Wendy and the cute redhead with all the freckles.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, green said:

Uh didn't he get assassinated right off the bat though?

LOL!  Yes, but the quote still applies. 🙂

You aren't going to win with blind loyalty to a brand new alliance of 3, against 6.  He went with his brain instead of his heart.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Agreed, and I'll never forget how condescending she was to her father.  She was just sure he was ruining her game. 

I didn't like Reem with her arrogant belief that she knew better than everyone else about when they should be drinking water and how they should be drying their clothes, but her tribe was beyond foolish in not voting out Wentworth at the first opportunity.

Never much liked Joe and now he seems to have bought into his own hype.  Once you start worrying that you're just too amazing, it's time to give up Reality TV.

So far I like Wendy and the cute redhead with all the freckles.

I think Joe is right to think he would have a target on his back as a challenge beast.

It was funny how he said he was going to retire "Joe Amazing", by right away tribe members were telling him how "Amazing" he was.  Maybe he needs to go by his last name or something. 🙂

I do think he did a great job of being useful to the tribe, which should keep him around for a while.  I think some of the young women might be a bit starstruck, so he might have a good shot at making it to the merge.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Reem said she had watched this show since day one.  How could she have missed the two dozen times the first boot was  a bossy older woman?  So the first minute we see her she's striding through camp, shouting order about drinking water.    Reem deserved to go, but I was hoping she would manage to turn them against Wentworth the Smug.

4 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I was fine with Reem being voted off.

She didn't really make a case for herself at TC.  Instead of saying, "I am strong, I work hard around camp and did well in the challenge (not sure if that is true or not)", she blasted the group for "age discrimination" and basically told them they were a bunch of idiots for not thinking she was great.

There may have been an age thing but I think Reem's bigger mistake especially after claiming (and I stress claiming) to be a watcher of the show is how could she not have seen that time after time the person who calls attention to themselves always gets on the other players nerves and is targeted.  It should be "Do you want me to move some of your wet stuff to the beach I think they might dry faster in the sun?" or "Hey can I help with A, B, C task".  But the players that go with taking the stuff and moving it around without asking or saying "Give me that you're doing it wrong, do this and do this".... it's going to get you negative attention and too much attention from the tribemates is exactly what you don't want.  I think a lot of players both male and female that get a little too bossy with their tribe have always been targeted sooner or later.   We were saying that's a fine line for the returning players which must be hard for them; do too much and you're bossy and reminding everyone you're an experienced player, do too little and you're not pulling your weight.  Either of those can put a bigger target on the returnees backs.

Targeting Keith, Wendy etc for what turns out to be a swim lesson was a rookie move though, it's being overly paranoid by assuming, on Day 2, that three people in the ocean must be plotting a major upset even though it's not a majority and you never talked to one of them to feel out the situation.  

And last I'm going to bitch about the challenge designers again.  There's a fine line between challenge and danger, having Kelly fall off that beam when the net was fairly close was one thing, maybe it should have had a little padding or more curved edges maybe not but it seemed fairly safe even if she did hit her head.    But having NO net, padding or a decent pile of sand under that climbing rope was taking it too far, that was a pretty big risk to take that the players wouldn't get close to the top and slip.  That would have been a big drop with nothing to break their fall.  Did they learn nothing from Kourtney's broken wrist?   I know, there's a balance needed and the line is blurry not fixed but I think they got lucky nothing bad happened on that one.  On the other hand I guess it proves a lot of gym teachers right, there's a future use for climbing that stupid gym rope after all!

5 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

In the words of the great philosopher, Cyrus, from, "The Warriors", "Can you count, suckas?"

Won't hijack the thread for more than a few sentences on this but I love that movie, hadn't seen it in years and it popped up on Tubi or one of those channels recently and I watched 3-4 times.  I was surprised how much of it I remembered and that it holds up pretty well.  I'm also sad for anyone who doesn't get it if you say "Come out to plaaay-aaay"

• Love 7
26 minutes ago, sigmaforce86 said:

There may have been an age thing but I think Reem's bigger mistake especially after claiming (and I stress claiming) to be a watcher of the show is how could she not have seen that time after time the person who calls attention to themselves always gets on the other players nerves and is targeted.  It should be "Do you want me to move some of your wet stuff to the beach I think they might dry faster in the sun?" or "Hey can I help with A, B, C task".  But the players that go with taking the stuff and moving it around without asking or saying "Give me that you're doing it wrong, do this and do this".... it's going to get you negative attention and too much attention from the tribemates is exactly what you don't want.  I think a lot of players both male and female that get a little too bossy with their tribe have always been targeted sooner or later.   We were saying that's a fine line for the returning players which must be hard for them; do too much and you're bossy and reminding everyone you're an experienced player, do too little and you're not pulling your weight.  Either of those can put a bigger target on the returnees backs.

Targeting Keith, Wendy etc for what turns out to be a swim lesson was a rookie move though, it's being overly paranoid by assuming, on Day 2, that three people in the ocean must be plotting a major upset even though it's not a majority and you never talked to one of them to feel out the situation.  

And last I'm going to bitch about the challenge designers again.  There's a fine line between challenge and danger, having Kelly fall off that beam when the net was fairly close was one thing, maybe it should have had a little padding or more curved edges maybe not but it seemed fairly safe even if she did hit her head.    But having NO net, padding or a decent pile of sand under that climbing rope was taking it too far, that was a pretty big risk to take that the players wouldn't get close to the top and slip.  That would have been a big drop with nothing to break their fall.  Did they learn nothing from Kourtney's broken wrist?   I know, there's a balance needed and the line is blurry not fixed but I think they got lucky nothing bad happened on that one.  On the other hand I guess it proves a lot of gym teachers right, there's a future use for climbing that stupid gym rope after all!

Won't hijack the thread for more than a few sentences on this but I love that movie, hadn't seen it in years and it popped up on Tubi or one of those channels recently and I watched 3-4 times.  I was surprised how much of it I remembered and that it holds up pretty well.  I'm also sad for anyone who doesn't get it if you say "Come out to plaaay-aaay"

I agree 100% about Reem.

I think the anchor targeting Reem, Wendy and Keith was smart, whether they were planning a grand conspiracy or just giving Keith a swimming lesson.  Unless you plan to work with them, if you can find a reason to put a target on other people, you should do it, especially this early where nobody really knows where they stand.

The Ringer recently did a great Rewatchables Podcast on The Warriors, you might want to check it out.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 1

Regarding the difference between EOE and RI, I can think of a few:

a) The players getting sent there don't know about it, so their emotions at TC will be the same as if they were being voted off for good.

b) The other players don't know that the people they are voting off might come back, which might affect how they vote and how they treat people.

c) We won't see anyone volunteering to go there, like Ozzy, to try to win a duel and take over the numbers advantage.

d) It is possible they will keep more players there longer, rather than having weekly duels.

e) If it is as brutal as advertised, it could be interesting to see who taps out.

• Love 9

Yay, Survivor's back!

My only regret is that Reem has a chance to come back. If I was on that beach and she was touching my stuff without my permission, I'd go ballistic. The woman has serious boundary issues.

I could do without any returnees, they always distort the game. I'm with the guy who said having returnees there kind of ruins the wonder of Survivor for the first-timers.

That said, if there had to be veterans, I'm glad to see David and Aubrey. Man, David's entire affect has changed!  He's so comfortable and confident now.

Not rooting for anyone yet but quickly getting to the point of rooting AGAINST a few.

And yes, this premiere was way too short. 

Might have more thoughts later but work beckons!

• Love 2

The whole notion to moving things to the sun where they would dry faster, but not asking first... what if they'd dried and then blown away?  Was she going to replace anything that was lost?

She was just asking to get voted off first and too unselfaware to realize it.  

So far, not routing for any of the newbies yet, but I do like David and Aubrey.  I just hate when they mix newbies with returnees.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Keith lives in Durham (probably goes to Duke) and won a scholarship to college. No excuses for not knowing how to swim unless he doesn’t care for the water.

Yes.  He is a med student at Duke.  There's a big difference between doing laps in the pool (which he admitted he wasn't great at) and being dumped in the ocean.

1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Keith did what he needed to do.  The number one rule for the first TC is "anyone but me".

Riding and dying with a 3 person alliance, with people you have known for 3 days, against 6 people, is not a winning strategy.

Exactly!  That's why I said Wendy should have agreed with Wardog instead of arguing with him on day 3.  (I think she's a cutie pie and don't want to see her voted out quickly.)

It'll be interesting to see how and when exiles can reenter the game.  I haven't read spoilers so I have no idea.

Where was this filmed?  Still in Fiji?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, EllenB said:

Well, it's Warthog from now on for me.

The A-10 Thunderbolt II, better known as Warthog is an awesome beautiful ugly terrifying flying war machine and do not sully its name with this annoying dude.  My least favorite so far.

There are whole articles about Keith not being prepared. WTF  people.   Did I not hear him say "when I found out I was on Survivor I knew I had to learn to swim, because I didn't know how, so maybe I should go down to the beach and PRACTICE" - as in he learned to swim, as much as he could;  but still wasn't very good at it.  Learning in a pool is a lot different than swimming in the ocean and he knows that.  He was doing ok.  Geez people.  

I think Reem had a real point.  If you don't want your stuff moved just say - don't move my stuff.  And while I don't think Reem knew this, UV light is a disinfectant, drying your clothes in the sun is something they teach in survival school.  Where I lost her was her inability to try to turn it around at tribal vs her whole fuck you knee jerk reaction, I was sure she was a New Yorker but she is from Virginia.  But I think she is  strong, does work hard around camp, is willing to help others, i.e learn to swim etc. and would be a loyal alliance member.  I don't have a problem with her she is just very new yorker/rough mouth all bark no bite, even if that isn't where she is from.  I think part of the problem here is that everyone on the tribe was working hard, pretty nice and there were no other obvious choices.  I mean - we are voting you out because you moved my stuff and told me to drink water.  Yep, you, the black kid or the latina.  Sad. It does seem there were several mentions on both tribes of keeping strong challenge players around then going after them.  Which I think is smart.  The most important thing is not to go to tribal pre-merge.  In that case Keith might have been the better choice because he looks muscular but seems sort of gangly?  Too soon to tell maybe.  

Am I right that the Wendy/Reem vote split down gender lines?  Seemed like the women voted for Reem and the men for Wendy.  Is there a bro alliance starting to form?  In which case the women should have noticed and hung onto Reem.  

Wow with the advantage.  3 choices and has to be used in the next two Tribal Councils.  I sort of home they win the next two rounds.  Just seems like trying too hard to make something happen.  Everything is already going to seem rushed with trying to cover 2 tribes and Extinction Island.  

In general I was a bit underwhelmed with the episode.  Its Survivor so of course its good.  But for Survivor it wasn't very good.

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 9

Since you presumably cannot be voted off EOE Island, I wonder if a player might try to drive others to tap out by being obnoxious, sabotaging food, clothes, shelter, fire, etc. or other such means.  Unlike in the regular game, there probably wouldn't be any consequences for such behavior.

• Love 1

So I live near Duke and was hoping to root for Keith but, alas, I feel he is not long for this game. He is a sweet kid but just not Survivor material. More so than past 'dorky' types they've had on (ahem, cough cough....David). They like to put on some Big Bang type and have us watch him blossom as some great Survivor but I just don't see it happening this time with Keith.

I like tribe Kama. Love me some Joe, mustache and all. And Aubry is  great gamer. Also rooting for the firefighter (because my DD is one), Eric, and some guy, Gavin, who I heard was a Disney fan. Other tribe seems like a bunch o' jerks with the 'those are the 3 we don't like anyway'.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I thought Joe looked great, but I didn't like the mustache either.  I still think he's really cute though.  Ozzy's my favourite in the Ozzy-Malcolm-Joe sweepstakes, but I forgot how striking and cute and tall and hot Joe actually is......

Cook Islands will forever be my favorite season ever because Ozzy.  Joe is pretty, but it would be great to see him make some moves rather than be out there for the third time just for the experience of playing.  Malcolm had more of a hunger to win than either Ozzy or Joe, and I would love to see him return as well.

10 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

BTW, did anyone notice tonight that Jeff didn't say 'once I read the votes the decision is final.'  

Ooh, sneaky Probst!  I missed that.  I wonder which players will catch on and realize that being voted out doesn't mean you're out for good.

Reem rubbed me the wrong way when Keith innocently mentioned that she seemed like a mother figure and she about sliced his head off with her "I don't ever want you to call me that, EVER."  Way too harsh, IMO.  And pretty much the minute she opened her mouth at TC, the rest of her tribe started exchanging glaces as if to say, "Yup, she gone."  Not sure how you can be a fan of the show and not understand that being so abrasive is the perfect excuse for your tribemates to give you an early boot.  

I loved David's confessional that in his first season, he was afraid of everything, and now people are looking to him to help them figure out what to do.  I would love a scenario where he and Aubrey connect at the merge and figure out how to move forward together.

That said, any Survivor is better than no Survivor.  I was all ready with my lemonade pie and still wanting to pick up the phone to call my mom to remind her that it was on again. 🙂

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 7
41 minutes ago, marys1000 said:

The A-10 Thunderbolt II, better known as Warthog is an awesome beautiful ugly terrifying flying war machine and do not sully its name with this annoying dude.  My least favorite so far.

There are whole articles about Keith not being prepared. WTF  people.   Did I not hear him say "when I found out I was on Survivor I knew I had to learn to swim, because I didn't know how, so maybe I should go down to the beach and PRACTICE" - as in he learned to swim, as much as he could;  but still wasn't very good at it.  Learning in a pool is a lot different than swimming in the ocean and he knows that.  He was doing ok.  Geez people.  

I think Reem had a real point.  If you don't want your stuff moved just say - don't move my stuff.  And while I don't think Reem knew this, UV light is a disinfectant, drying your clothes in the sun is something they teach in survival school.  Where I lost her was her inability to try to turn it around at tribal vs her whole fuck you knee jerk reaction, I was sure she was a New Yorker but she is from Virginia.  But I think she is  strong, does work hard around camp, is willing to help others, i.e learn to swim etc. and would be a loyal alliance member.  I don't have a problem with her she is just very new yorker/rough mouth all bark no bite, even if that isn't where she is from.  I think part of the problem here is that everyone on the tribe was working hard, pretty nice and there were no other obvious choices.  I mean - we are voting you out because you moved my stuff and told me to drink water.  Yep, you, the black kid or the latina.  Sad. It does seem there were several mentions on both tribes of keeping strong challenge players around then going after them.  Which I think is smart.  The most important thing is not to go to tribal pre-merge.  In that case Keith might have been the better choice because he looks muscular but seems sort of gangly?  Too soon to tell maybe.  

Am I right that the Wendy/Reem vote split down gender lines?  Seemed like the women voted for Reem and the men for Wendy.  Is there a bro alliance starting to form?  In which case the women should have noticed and hung onto Reem.  

Wow with the advantage.  3 choices and has to be used in the next two Tribal Councils.  I sort of home they win the next two rounds.  Just seems like trying too hard to make something happen.  Everything is already going to seem rushed with trying to cover 2 tribes and Extinction Island.  

In general I was a bit underwhelmed with the episode.  Its Survivor so of course its good.  But for Survivor it wasn't very good.

I disagree about Reem and the clothes.  You shouldn't have to tell people not to mess with your stuff.  She should have asked them first.  If she did, it probably would have been a positive for her, instead of a big negative.

I am pretty sure the Reem/Wendy vote was an organized vote split, in case of an idol.  It is pretty common in these situations for them to say "girls vote for A and boys for B", to keep it simple and make sure everyone remembers who to vote for.  

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Reem rubbed me the wrong way when Keith innocently mentioned that she seemed like a mother figure and she about sliced his head off with her "I don't ever want you to call me that, EVER."  Way too harsh, IMO.  And pretty much the minute she opened her mouth at TC, the rest of her tribe started exchanging glaces as if to say, "Yup, she gone."  Not sure how you can be a fan of the show and not understand that being so abrasive is the perfect excuse for your tribemates to give you an early boot.  

I totally agree.  You have to be pretty clueless to be so abrasive, knowing you are already likely to be targeted as the older, weaker woman.  Playing up the Mom angle and being nurturing might  have helped her stay in the game longer.  

Plus, messing with people's stuff was a good way to put a target her back, even if she meant well.  Why do anything that is going to get you singled out?

BTW, has Keith become at least on honorary member of the "Ciera Club" of contestants who have voted out their Moms? :)

• LOL 4
12 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Sometimes I feel like the only person on the planet who doesn’t find Joe appealing whatsoever.

I hate Joe. 

Bad ep. I feel like we didn't really get to hear from anyone. 

I want all the returnees gone asap, which I know will not happen. First of all, with EOE, we'll likely be stuck with most if not all of them all the way anyway even if the newbies wise up and boot them. 

I love Wendy already so I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. Deciding to root for the Latina with Tourette's. I only have myself to blame!

Even though we barely saw her, I think the red head could be interesting. The fact that she got a confessional in this short ep even though she wasn't a focus of any of the happenings makes me think she could prove to be a factor later on.

The firefighter is the most attractive guy they've had in awhile. Pre-show, that is. Most of them get hot as the season progresses lol. But I feel like I'll definitely end up hating him. I never like firefighters on reality tv. Hell, I'm not too fond of the ones I know in real life! ETA: Wait, I think it might actually be Chris who I think is attractive. Is it Eric or Chris who's the firefighter? 

I expected to hate Wardog, but I found him more hilarious than anything. I feel like he'll be someone I find it fun to hate.

Why is the guy who found the advantage an 'educator' as opposed to a 'teacher?'

I liked the news guy at first, but I slowly began to hate him. We'll see though, maybe he'll turn it back around.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I also thought Ron Burgundy was smart to point out the group of 3 to the others.

HAHAHAHAHA!! I’ll be calling him that from now on.

Speaking of Duke ... I had to switch back and forth last night between this show and the game so I could watch my beloved Tarheels sweep the floor with solid sneakers. 😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I have to say, when a tribe is voting someone out because she moved their stuff without asking I roll my eyes. No one thought to say "Please don't touch my stuff?" That said, if that is the main reason you have for voting someone out, then the overall personalities on the tribe must not be that annoying. No one seemed to be a real problem for challenges, the idea that Reem was the "weakest" is flat out ridiculous, and everyone seemed to be pulling their weight.

That is not awful.

I have no clue why the rest of the tribe didn't see that this was a great opportunity to vote out people who have played before. Seriously, if you are targeting someone because they are moving your clothes and shoes tot he sun to dry, then it is a good time to ask yourself if you really want to be allied with people who know the game far better then you do. And, hey, look, one of those people hurt her head during the challenge. So why no vote out Kelly?

I am sorry, but anyone who claims to be a fan of the show and doesn't realize that you vote off people who have played before immediately deserves to lose.

I can see that Reem might have been a pain in the butt, although no one actually said anything to her in camp and the you move our stuff excuse came up at tribal, but take the person who did fine in the challenges, was trying to teach a tribe member to swim better, and was helping at camp over the person who has played twice before and is willing to stab people in the back, I mean, seriously?

And I can get why Reem did not want to be seen as a Mom, Moms get voted out quickly or lose at final tribal because they were a Mom so how could they stab people in the back. That said, perhaps Reem should have cut back on the Mom like behavior. I still think it is a bit crazy that people were upset that she was trying to prevent people from dehydrating and trying to dry their clothes.

The overall premise is awful. I hate Redemption Island/Exile Island/Extinction Island. When you are voted out, you are voted out. Just go away. This screams "We brought back our favorites and need to protect them" which I hate.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I hate Joe. 

Bad ep. I feel like we didn't really get to hear from anyone. 

I want all the returnees gone asap, which I know will not happen. First of all, with EOE, we'll likely be stuck with most if not all of them all the way anyway even if the newbies wise up and boot them. 

I love Wendy already so I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. Deciding to root for the Latina with Tourette's. I only have myself to blame!

Even though we barely saw her, I think the red head could be interesting. The fact that she got a confessional in this short ep even though she wasn't a focus of any of the happenings makes me think she could prove to be a factor later on.

The firefighter is the most attractive guy they've had in awhile. Pre-show, that is. Most of them get hot as the season progresses lol. But I feel like I'll definitely end up hating him. I never like firefighters on reality tv. Hell, I'm not too fond of the ones I know in real life! ETA: Wait, I think it might actually be Chris who I think is attractive. Is it Eric or Chris who's the firefighter? 

I expected to hate Wardog, but I found him more hilarious than anything. I feel like he'll be someone I find it fun to hate.

Why is the guy who found the advantage an 'educator' as opposed to a 'teacher?'

I liked the news guy at first, but I slowly began to hate him. We'll see though, maybe he'll turn it back around.

Joe doesn't seem hatable to me.  He seems nice enough.

I kind of like Wendy, too.

The "educator" Ron Clark founded his own not for profit private school, in Atlanta called, "The Ron Clark Academy".  At first, I was skeptical, but now I think he seems like a good guy.  He seems to combine fun learning methods with strong discipline.  There was a 2006 movie about him called "The Ron Clark Story", (haven't seen it) starring Matthew Perry from "Friends".  Maybe Matthew Perry should his nickname.  

As Rob and his wife pointed out on RHAP, the movie has a much better Rotten Tomatoes rating than Mike White's Emoji Movie. :)

I'm OK with Ron Burgundy so far.  I thought he was smart to spot the threesome, so he could target them and make sure he was safe.  

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Joe doesn't seem hatable to me.  He seems nice enough.

I kind of like Wendy, too.

The "educator" Ron Clark founded his own not for profit private school, in Atlanta called, "The Ron Clark Academy".  At first, I was skeptical, but now I think he seems like a good guy.  He seems to combine fun learning methods with strong discipline.  There was a 2006 movie about him called "The Ron Clark Story", (haven't seen it) starring Matthew Perry from "Friends".  Maybe Matthew Perry should his nickname.  

As Rob and his wife pointed out on RHAP, the movie has a much better Rotten Tomatoes rating than Mike White's Emoji Movie. 🙂

I'm OK with Ron Burgundy so far.  I thought he was smart to spot the threesome, so he could target them and make sure he was safe.  

Chandler should be his nickname.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

The whole notion to moving things to the sun where they would dry faster, but not asking first... what if they'd dried and then blown away? 

Or what if the tide came in?

Reem seemed to be conflicted about being seen as a "mom" type.  She scolded someone for referring to her that way, yet the whole time she acted like she was mom and they were all her wayward children.  Totally annoying.  And the first TC is not when you "fight for your life."  Instead she just validated everyone's opinions of her by basically being an asshole.  Why not just say, "Yeah, my bad.  Maybe I was overexcited about being here and wanting to chip in and help out, but everything I was doing was about trying to help my tribe."  Dumb.

Ron Burgundy needs to cool it with the 'Oh YEAH!!' shit.  That's why I don't want morning shows.

I love David and Aubrey.  I love that they both seem to be hanging back for now.  Joe, OTOH, can't help himself being amazing, and Kelley should have shut up at tribal.  Too much attitude out of the gate.

Finally, dear god, what unholy garment was Joe wearing, those boxer briefs with the alternating stripe pattern over his package area?!?

Edited by Special K
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9

One more thing that bugged me about Reem:

Her behavior was incredibly condescending. Everyone out there is an adult (well, technically, not Keith) and I doubt any of them wanted or needed Reem "teaching" them how to dry their clothes or drink water. But she just assumed she knew best and started dishing out unwanted advice and messing with people's stuff without even a by-your leave.

I just wish she was gone for good.

• Love 13