Type keyword(s) to search

Dolly Parton's Heartstrings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Details about Dolly Parton's Heartstrings:

• The anthology will have eight episodes, each based on one of the country music legend's songs.
  • The singer will also appear on camera, either with an acting role in the episode or introducing the episode.
  • The show will air on Netflix.
  • The eight-episode series is due to premiere in 2019.

The episodes:

"Jolene": The title character (Julianne Hough), a flirtatious free spirit, wants to escape her hometown of Coventry, Georgia, and become a singer-songwriter. The cast also includes Kimberly Williams-Paisley, Dallas Roberts, and Parton.

"These Old Bones": In the 1940s, a determined young lawyer returns to her Smoky Mountain hometown to prove herself professionally when a mysterious mountain woman (Kathleen Turner), believed by some locals to be a fortune teller, threatens a lumber company's business. Ginnifer Goodwin and Kyle Bornheimer also star. Written by Jim Strain and directed by Joe Lazarov. 

"J.J. Sneed": In the 1880s, a feisty young woman trapped in a mundane existence dreams of more, until a seductive outlaw pulls her into the adventure of a lifetime. Starring Colin O'Donoghue, Willa Fitzgerald, David Denman, Mac Davis, and Vanessa Rubio; written by Strain and directed by Terry McDonough.

"If I Had Wings": After receiving invitations to their long estranged father's (Gerald McRaney) 70th birthday, three siblings (Ben Lawson, Brooke Elliott, and Michele Weaver) converge on a Mississippi farm, where they test the bonds of blood and issues of faith, all to confront the sins of their father. Also starring Delta Burke and Tim Reid; written by Strain and directed by Timothy Busfield.

"Cracker Jack": Two stories — one past, one present — about the power of unconditional love between a girl and her dog. That same girl, now grown, questions what her life means and who she can truly count on when faced with her greatest fear. Starring Sarah Shahi, Rochelle Aytes, Jessica Collins, and Tammy Lynn Michaels; written by Lisa Melamed and directed by Liesl Tommy.

"Sugar Hill": A married couple (former thirtysomething co-stars Timothy Busfield and Patricia Wettig) in their twilight embark on a road trip back to the place where they first fell in love, revisiting the history of their love story along the way. Also starring Virginia Gardner and Tom Brittney; written by Thomas Ian Griffith and Mary Page Keller and directed by Lev L. Spiro.

"Down From Dover": After being shunned by her pious widowed father, a pregnant teenager finds support at a home for unwed mothers, where she hopes for the safe return of the young man she loves from the Vietnam War. Starring Holly Taylor, Shane McGhie, Robert Taylor, Bellamy Young, Camryn Manheim, and Mary Lane Haskell; written by John Sacret Young and directed by Erica Dunton.

"Two Doors Down": A family's lifetime of secrets come bursting out during a chaotic and comedic New Year's Eve wedding weekend. Will they make it to witness the "I do"s without killing one another? Starring Melissa Leo, Ray McKinnon, Andy Mientus, Katie Stevens, and Michael Willett; written by Mark B. Perry and directed by Wendey Stanzler.

• Love 3

I watched "Two Doors Down" last night. It was great to see an episode of the show largely centered on a gay couple, with some bonus trans inclusivity. The scenes Roy McKinnon had with Andy Mientus and Melissa Leo were particularly touching. I heard there were some walkouts at Dollywood when the whole series was shown and it got to this episode—hopefully those bigots promptly left the park and will be taunted by the sound of all Dolly's love-themed music from now on.

I do wish that when non-Southerners play Southern characters, the productions would allow them to use something like a neutral Midwestern accent if they can't manage a convincing Southern one, particularly if they're going to be in scenes with people like McKinnon who have a genuine accent to compare to. I think Willett was the only actor faking an accent who really pulled it off, and he had the benefit of going for that exaggerated "gay" accent (which is similar to the regular Louisiana and southern Mississippi ones).

• Love 2

Just watched Sugar Hill.  I love Dolly’s music so was looking forward to this series. 

It was nice to have a little thirty something reunion.   They still have great chemistry.   It was such a sweet and sad episode.   I cried.  He loved his wife so much.  He just needed to let go. 

I watched J.J. Sneed and came away with two thoughts:

1) I'm a little disappointed they turned the vengeful protagonist of the song into Maddie Hawkins' outlaw-with-a-heart-of-gold. Willa Fitzgerald did fine in the role as written, but I'd like to have seen what she might have done with a more hardened, ruthless character.

2) Colin O'Donoghue can get it. That is all.

Jolene was the first episode in my queue so I watched that. Honestly, it didn't inspire me to continue watching. The premise is fine, focusing on the relationship between the two women, but the execution left a lot to be desired. The acting was just oof. 

And I'm probably going against the message of women not judging other women, but not even tutoring a pre-teen deemed something more than a bralette? 

Also, on a highly superficial note, why did Jolene's hair look fried when she made it in Nashville while she was glammed up in Hicksville, USA? Plus, that last song? A total dud. 

I thought this was a cool concept and I finally got around to it. I'm on if I had wings now. I'm absolutely riveted. It can be a little corny but I don't care. 

I liked the first two - Jolene and whatever the Southern wedding was called. I just watched the one with Major Dad and the estranged kids. I thought it was a little much. I'm not sure how the story fit with the theme of the show. I guess the dad was always flying away for a better life?

Wait, so the wife of the baseball player was a ghost or something? I totally am confused.

Edited by DoctorAtomic