Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Biscuit Tin

Erin and Kelly. Also, Why Drop the Mayor?

I like the way Erin and Kelly met and talked - very natural, it seemed to me. And I liked the way Kelly and Frank later discussed his relationship with Erin - also very natural. I was having trouble picturing a manner in which Kelly could be introduced into the family group, if the writers decide to go that way. Having Erin work with her independently is a great idea. Erin could encourage Frank to pursue Kelly. That  makes more sense to me than Frank saying one Sunday, "Here's Kelly. I have the hots for her, so...everybody adjust." Odd that Kelly was with the Attorney General's office all previous episodes and this week is a lawyer for NYC. (I had to Google "Corporation Counsel.") At one point early in this season, I thought she had *become* the Attorney General.  Beats me. Maybe Corporation Counsel ultimately answers to the governor, not the NYC mayor. Besides, we're 14 episodes in to this season, now, and we haven't seen the NYC mayor once, or heard the mayor referred to by name or as "he' or "she."  For 8 seasons, the Mayor has been integral to the way Frank does his job. I miss Frank having to answer to a boss.
P.S. Shallow comment - Bebe Neuwirth is a 60 year old woman who looks more lovely with long hair than any other sixty-ish actress I've ever seen. It totally works on her. She's gorgeous, I think. 

Edited by Biscuit Tin

8 hours ago, Biscuit Tin said:

Odd that Kelly was with the Attorney General's office all previous episodes and this week is a lawyer for NYC. (I had to Google "Corporation Counsel.") At one point early in this season, I thought she had *become* the Attorney General.  Beats me. Maybe Corporation Counsel ultimately answers to the governor, not the NYC mayor. Besides, we're 14 episodes in to this season, now, and we haven't seen the NYC mayor once, or heard the mayor referred to by name or as "he' or "she."  For 8 seasons, the Mayor has been integral to the way Frank does his job. I miss Frank having to answer to a boss.

Kelly wasn't the Attorney General, she was Inspector General originally, before she resigned because she just liked Frank too much to oversee and investigate him. It gets a bit confusing as there was also the NYS Attorney General doing basically the same plot, about civilians trying to exercise oversight of the police and why that's a bad thing. When she came back last leason she was the Corporation Counsel asking Frank to look into a case to avoid having an Assistant Corporation Counsel suing NYPD, which set up the whole Baker undercover thing. Incidentally since CBS seems to be desperate for exclusive content for their streaming service I'd watch a "Baker Undercover" series starring Abigail Hawk investigating politically sensitive cases around NYC....

As far as the mayor is concerned there are a couple of possibilities. One is it's a casting thing and they don't want to box themselves in until they know if Lorraine Bracco is coming back. The other is that the mayor character has usually been a proxy for commenting on national politics and it's possible that the Bracco character was conceived expecting something different than what happened and the show hasn't figured out if they want to comment on that or not since it's likely to alienate their core audience.

• Like 1