Type keyword(s) to search

My Kitchen Rules (AU) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I have been watching in recent years of this show, but gave up in the first week of this one because I just couldn't handle the so-called homeschooled Christian brothers. I like a good villain, but I don't want to watch bigotry and their persona also seemed more contrived than usual.

Is there enough redeeming about this season that it's worth trying to start again?

• Love 2

We’re a few seasons behind in Canada (we’re on the season of the Angry, Angry Man and the “king” of seafood, Josh). I’ve heard some stories about the current season that makes me both want to watch it, and run far far away. 

I'm behind on the current season because I'm in the US and have decided to binge watch about a week at a time. 

Non-spoilery info follows:

Season 8, with Angry, Angry Man had Josh from Broom which ruined the season for me. I ended up liking Angry, Angry Man. His sister gave an interview where she said he came across poorly at first because he was nervous and anxious, and I think that was true. I ended up liking their team along with some others and many of the challenges. There was a bit of a controversy when it was discovered that Angry, Angry Man had been offered a job at Pete's restaurant right before finding out he was selected for MKR. I never saw anything that made me think there was any preferential treatment towards him, but thought I'd mention it so you can watch for it if you wish. The problem was the three people who I couldn't stand and the need of the editors to constantly have the cameras on those three.

One was a woman who considered herself a social media influencer and was constantly saying HASTAG, HASHTAG, while making stupid hand movements. I think she made it way further than she should have and wanted to smack her hands with something every time she did it.

Another was a woman who was on a team with a "friend" she didn't seem to actually know very well and was always belittling her and bossing her around. You could see it bothered the other woman but she didn't say anything. They were from Malaysia or Indonesia or something, and talked shit about how no one else could cook when they could only cook their type of food. 

Both of them probably would have been tolerable if it weren't for Josh. He was an immature, arrogant, and delusional ass with a very punchable face. The editors could not help themselves from showing him making stupid faces, bitching and moaning about things that didn't involve him, insulting the others and laughing at his own jokes and it was way too much. There was one point where he said something very offensive to one of the others, laughed while everyone just stared at him and nothing was done. The next episode or so had Manu pull a team into another room to talk, where he told the woman she was making it very uncomfortable  because she was pouting and crying over not getting a very good score during their restaurant, but didn't call Josh the immature, arrogant, and delusional ass with a very punchable face out for what he said, which was terrible. I really disliked Manu for that.

Afterward, I read a few articles about Josh, the immature, arrogant, and delusional ass with a very punchable face, where he said he apologized immediately after, in private, and acted like he didn't realize what he said was so bad. I suppose that could be true since he is such an immature, arrogant, and delusional ass with a very punchable face and nothing screamed he had a functional IQ that would make it obvious like it was to the rest of the world. They spoke to the person he offended, or the person the remark was about, he offended everyone, who confirmed the apology and that it was heartfelt. 

The only reason I believe that is because I listened to a five minute or so interview he gave to a radio station where he answered a few questions and it was obvious that the public beating he and his wife were taking had a profound affect. He sounded weary and a bit embarrassed, something I didn't think he was capable of, and actually owned his behavior. He never tried to say that the others also did it but he was the only one they aired, or anything like that, which I expected. He did say something about production winding him up and wanting those behaviors, which is known to everyone who watches reality shows, so I give him a pass on it. He wasn't blaming them for his actions in that response to the question. I didn't look any further since I'm in the US and will never have to see or hear him again, so he may have already reverted back to his asshole self.

The next season, Season 9, had a team asked to leave the table by Manu. It was after weeks of general bitchiness and it erupted one night. As soon as they sat down I thought they were popping ADHD meds like tictacs because they looked wasted. I don't think they would have been asked to leave the table if it were for the backlash Manu took for not calling out Josh on his offensive statement in Season 8, but maybe he would have. 

The Homeschool Brothers in Season 10 are Josh and Austin. Nooooo, not another Josh!! Austin isn't quite as bad as Josh, so maybe it's in the name. There is a Twitter post floating around where Josh took a photo of himself with a bong and captioned it something to make you aware that it was pot, and then argued with someone calling them fat, or something. It was near impossible for me to figure out what in the hell he was trying to type because he was either posting after smoking a large amount or he is functionally illiterate, and I'm not kidding; that boy may not be able to read. 

Season 10's editing is better than the past, though. There is a new villain each week and no one is focused on so extremely that I've wanted to take a break, like I did in Season 8. It actually turns out that my most hated person isn't Josh, which is what I expected. It's Andy..

OMG Andy, shut up!!!! Yes, Peru is the birthplace of potatoes, and Peru has food, and Peru has cookies and Peru exists! I realize you think that you are a food expert and call yourself a foodie and food critic, but you are a blogger like several others on the show. When everyone at the table, including Pete and Manu, has an opinion that the exact opposite of yours, you need to consider that you may be wrong. That pineapple does belong on the plate; there's not too much garlic; if you can make it better and it scored a 10 maybe you need to change your menu plans to those dishes. I expect you cannot make it better because I think you sound like an idiot when giving your critiques. I will give you props for trying to stick to Peruvian food, something I don't remember seeing before (but I haven't streamed all seasons), if you will shut up about how great Peruvian food is.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Christina said:

Season 10's editing is better than the past, though. There is a new villain each week and no one is focused on so extremely that I've wanted to take a break, like I did in Season 8. It actually turns out that my most hated person isn't Josh, which is what I expected. It's Andy..

Yes, I agree. She’s insufferable. The only amusing thing is how the other people at the table are all rolling their eyes at her. I also agree with the better editing, no single team or person is getting the evil villain edit all the time. I will say, though, that Bianca is really getting on my nerves: why appear on a show like MKR if all you enjoy eating appears to be pasta? My guess is that the mother and son team will win, they appear to be the most competent cooks and have a great working relationship.

• Love 1
On 3/29/2019 at 5:08 AM, Christina said:

It actually turns out that my most hated person isn't Josh, which is what I expected. It's Andy..

OMG Andy, shut up!!!! Yes, Peru is the birthplace of potatoes, and Peru has food, and Peru has cookies and Peru exists! I realize you think that you are a food expert and call yourself a foodie and food critic, but you are a blogger like several others on the show.

On 3/30/2019 at 3:21 AM, TWoPExpat said:

I will say, though, that Bianca is really getting on my nerves: why appear on a show like MKR if all you enjoy eating appears to be pasta?

Yes, Andy, Bianca, and sometimes Josh are the top annoyances. I mimic Andy so much at home because of her stupid potato line and the incessant Peru! Peru! Peru! Also both her and Bianca are very critical about the food; it makes me wonder if they like eating any other food other than the one they cook. Josh is a little shit but he does score rather fairly. Josh and Austin's upbringing doesn't excuse their behaviour but they are both really repressed. 

Season 11 has began and I'm struggling to get through the Instant Restaurants. Since I'm in the US and watching with the Australian releases online and realize that Canada will get this season at a later date, I've decided to put a bit about some of the guests under a spoiler tab. I'm not sure I'll make it through the season because it's more annoying than entertaining to me, but it's airing now and premiered February 2, 2020.

Season 11 is called The Rivals

This season there two houses where teams live together. separated by The Fans or The Challengers, depending on who is saying it when,  and The Faves or The Champions, prior contestants. The judges still score each dish but instead of individual teams scoring the meal, there is one score given for each house, which is supposed to be agreed to by everyone in that house, leading to drama, or not drama, or just stupidity, whatevers. Also, the prize money has been reduced from $250,000 to $100,000.

The Fan house is the House of Colin, which is made up of new teams, and are mentored by Colin during their Instant Restaurant. The judges for these dishes are Pete and Manu. The Fans are (cut and pasted from this website, which includes photos):

Mark and Lauren, Melbourne, VIC - The card-playing siblings don't have much of a poker face when tensions reach boiling point!

Ben and Vasil, Melbourne, VIC - These single bartenders will cause more than a stir when they get to the MKR table. Keep an eye on these flirty fellas!

Jenni and Louise, Sunshine Coast, QLD - These mummy bloggers already have more than 350,000 followers. But can they win the vote of the MKR judges?

Sue Ann and Sylvia, Melbourne, VIC - This pair might not let the other contestants get a word in edgewise.

Kerry and Kaylene, Karratha, WA / Sunshine Coast, QLD - Fighting fit is an accurate description for these ex-army sisters in the kitchen.

The Faves house is the House of Manu, which is made up of prior contestants, and mentored by Manu during the Instant Restaurants. The judges for these dishes are Pete and Colin. The Faves are also cut and pasted from the link above:

Spoiler

Sophia and Romel, Sydney, NSW - From season four and season 10, past villains Sophia and Romel combine forces in a recipe for chaos.

Jac and Shaz, Mt Isa, QLD - The country cousins return with their distinct style. Could this be the chance for the season-six runners-up to finish on top?

Roula and Rachael, Melbourne, VIC - Pegged as the villains of season nine, the best friends are back and looking to make a point.

Jake and Elle, Brisbane, QLD - The season-four grand finalists are back to claim the prize Dan and Steph snatched from their grasp in the finale.

Dan and Steph, Hervey Bay, QLD - The husband-and- wife pair took out the competition in 2013, making them a force to be reckoned with.

Between the uptalk and constant talking over each other, these episodes are ear bleeding.

But my largest annoyance is the fact that there are past contestants and newbies; I never enjoy those type of seasons. It's completely unfair because there is no way to get the experience before doing it and that learning curve causes an advantage for the returning contestants. 

• Love 1

Since I've been medically quarantined, I decided to watch the season. Almost immediately, my ears began to regret it. I suffer from hearing loss, which exaggerates annoying voices and turns people's voices who speak fine in person into squeals when recorded. The uptalk is horrible but I'm pretty sure if I hear "babe" again, I'll stab someone.

On that same note, it's obvious that the phrase, "strategic scoring" is being utilized in a some Conspiracy Theory-esque code word, where it is being pounded into our brains and at a future date, will be employed to cause viewers to rise up and rampage against something stupid. Since I'm in the US and the only one I know who watches, I'll end up ranting and raving about Greenies while walking down the street, and the neighbors will call the cops saying I finally lost my mind during quarantine. 

Anyone who doesn't vote the way a certain person believes they should, is accused of "strategic scoring." In fact, it's two teams, one from each house, who will not shut up about it, or anything for that matter, babe. The poker player is so transparent, I would love to play against him. He'll patter on and on about how he is manipulating the other teams by saying certain things, and thinks he is so smart, but the other teams know exactly what he is doing and just roll their eyes at him. These two teams make it hard to get into because I want them both to shut up and lose. Babe stirring water while Manu was ricing her potatoes should have resulted in an immediate eviction for obnoxiousness.

Not to mention Kissgate, which mercifully ended after about fifty episodes.

Anyhow, I'm up to the final Instant Restaurants. The four final teams serve a three course meal. The scoring will be a bit different then it was in the beginning.

Pete still scores every dish 1-10 for every team.

Manu still scores Team Colin 1-10 for each dish.

Colin still scores Team Manu 1-10 for each dish.

The other three semifinalist score the entire meal 1-10 as opposed to a join score agreed upon amongst them.

For a total possible score of 90.

Then, because I have not suffered enough Kissgate, uptalk and babe, the other teams return as a jury and score each team's entire menu 1-10 bringing the total possible score up to 100, babe, strategic scoring.

The final Instant Restaurants will determine the two who will cook in the championship, which is next week, babe, strategic scoring. I'm not upset that I watched but it also wasn't anything I would have been upset to miss.

• Love 1
On 7/22/2021 at 11:36 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

2020 season is up on Amazon Prime.

Thanks for the heads up. Didn’t realize that they’re on Amazon Prime, and I’m catching up on the 2019 10th anniversary season. 

I was able to watch the latest season over the holidays and enjoyed it. I never warmed to Pete so the addition of Nigella and Matt Preston were great. Other than a couple of annoying teams, I really liked the winning team's food and style.

• Like 1

I tried watching the last season over the holidays. We did bits of three episodes but I found too many of the contestants grating e.g. Claudean. I know it's highly edited but I don't know how Manu has managed to stay engaged and polite in all these dinner parties over the years.

• Like 1