Type keyword(s) to search

S38: Joe Anglim

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Meet Joe

Hometown: Chandler, Arizona

Current Residence: Ogden, Utah

Previous Seasons: Worlds Apart, Cambodia — Second Chance

Personal Claim to Fame: It was a lifelong dream to play Survivorand to get my dad out for the family visit in Survivor: Second Chance. I was also honored to be a part of and win The Price is Right’s Survivor special with my super fan friend Latrina.

Hobbies: Filmmaking/videography, art and equine therapy, design, creative art, nature therapies, yoga, and hiking.

Pet Peeves: I find it incredibly displeasing when I see someone lose their patience and become aggressive, disrespectful and rude.

3 Words to Describe You: Adaptable, adventurous and able.

If You Could Have 3 Things on the Island What Would They Be and Why? Picture of my family and girlfriend. Brushes, paint and a canvas: make some art. GoPro.

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: Kim Spradin. Kind and poised, but a gamer and player.

Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: To win and have Jeff say the magic words of “Sole Survivor.” Also, to prove that anything is possible and to never quit or give up on a dream.

Why You Think You’ll “Survive” SURVIVOR:   Hopefully, I’ve gained enough experience from my last two failed attempts and I can take all that I learned and apply it. I know I can get to the end if I’m adaptable enough. I just have to constantly adjust and rely on both my past knowledge of how to interact and motivate others to produce good, positive results. Just going to play “smarter not harder.”

11 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

Err, Sierra at least works for a living. I don’t know what Joe does all day, even if he is creatively talented.

Joe is Joey Amazing he doesn't need to work. At least, that's the impression I have always gotten. LOL!!!!

• Love 1

I follow Joe on IG and it seems he does a lot around Sierra’s farm and with her horses.  She even said she’s teaching him the business.  So Farmer Joe?  Also it looks like he’s trying to make a go of his art, although I’m not sure he’s gotten paid for anything yet.  At the very least he’s not just sitting around on mom’s couch anymore.  

For the record I’m not into his relationship with Sierra, either.  I’ve never liked her, and I was much more fascinated with whatever he had going on with Kelly Wiglesworth.  

10 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I follow Joe on IG and it seems he does a lot around Sierra’s farm and with her horses.  She even said she’s teaching him the business.  So Farmer Joe?  Also it looks like he’s trying to make a go of his art, although I’m not sure he’s gotten paid for anything yet.  At the very least he’s not just sitting around on mom’s couch anymore.  

For the record I’m not into his relationship with Sierra, either.  I’ve never liked her, and I was much more fascinated with whatever he had going on with Kelly Wiglesworth.  

Yeah, I was interested in what was going on with them, too. Sierra seems like a bore to me.

• Love 2

I am starting to think Joe might have a better chance to win than a lot of people think.

1) It looks like his tribe will have the numbers going into the merge.

2) Aubry is the returnee his tribe seems to be targeting first.

3) Kama may not lose many ICs.  

4) Given his Amazing challenge abilities, if he can get to F5 or F6, he will have a solid shot at F4.

5) Given his Amazing fire making abilities, if he gets to the F4, he will be a huge favorite to make the F3.

6) If he makes FTC, he will probably get there without backstabbing many, if any, jurors that he was aligned with, which would help him a lot with the jury.  

• Love 2

Now that I've read he's linked to Sierra, I really love that he lists equine therapy in his hobbies - of course he does!

Can't see him as a winner of Survivor, but I like his enthusiasm for his life and I get why he keeps coming back, Survivor has mostly served him well and he does on it what he likes doing best. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I am starting to think Joe might have a better chance to win than a lot of people think.

4) Given his Amazing challenge abilities, if he can get to F5 or F6, he will have a solid shot at F4.

5) Given his Amazing fire making abilities, if he gets to the F4, he will be a huge favorite to make the F3.

6) If he makes FTC, he will probably get there without backstabbing many, if any, jurors that he was aligned with, which would help him a lot with the jury.  

At this rate, even with a tribe swap, Joe could go the way he did in Cambodia where he never goes to TC before the merge.  A lot of it might depend if people are so desperate for him to be gone they throw the challenge, but that could easily backfire  (just ask Rodney how that worked out for him and his bro Joaquin).  He doesn't seem to be in the greatest of spots on Kama, but I'm not entirely sure Eric and Gavin would necessarily get the votes to get him (or even Aubry) out.  

One thing I've often seen criticized of Joe is his strategy and social game.  Strategy yes, that needs work.  I don't know that I've ever thought he had a weak social game, though.  But clearly people think he's likable enough guy and threat to win.  

• Love 2

I'd say there is being social/sociable and then there's social game. Joe is the first kind, he gets on well with people, he loves everybody and everybody loves him, but that still is no social game, because he does nothing to lock all the good vibes and convert them into some kind of loyalty. He's having a good time being himself. The only way this turns into a social game is by default, if he somehow (via immunity run) finds himself at F4 and builds the fire first, and makes F3 without having any enemy on the jury. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, NutMeg said:

I'd say there is being social/sociable and then there's social game. Joe is the first kind, he gets on well with people, he loves everybody and everybody loves him, but that still is no social game, because he does nothing to lock all the good vibes and convert them into some kind of loyalty. He's having a good time being himself. The only way this turns into a social game is by default, if he somehow (via immunity run) finds himself at F4 and builds the fire first, and makes F3 without having any enemy on the jury. 

If he can make it to the merge, in the majority alliance, it shouldn't be too tough to get to at least F6.  Then, maybe a HII and a IC win or 2 IC wins, or convincing a few people to vote out someone else, and he could get to F4.   Since he doesn't even need flint (I'm not sure he even needs wood) to make a fire, he should ace the F4 firemaking.  

It is still a tough road (as it is for all of them), but I think he has a better than 1 in 16 chance of winning.  

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

Most of this was true in Cambodia.  The catch is hidden in point #4: getting to F6.  Joe has never shown any aptitude whatever in putting together an alliance, and everyone knows they want to vote him out as soon as he loses immunity.  Kelley Wentworth had to drag him kicking and moaning into not getting voted out the first time he lost immunity in Cambodia.  I guess you have all forgotten Cambodia so I will remind you of the story: Joe was moping around saying "I know it's me, it's fine guys I'm not mad" while Spencer was putting his Stephen vote together to make sure he was the Last Nerd Standing, and Kelley had to kick his butt to stop whining and get with the program here.  Of course he did not capitalize on this to do anything and he was voted out at the next tribal.

20 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I forgot to mention that the Edge of Extinction format is also well suited to a guy like Joe.  Even if he gets voted out, he would be one of, if not the, most likely person to make it back for EOE.  

This, on the other hand, is why I think Joe really does have a shot.  Like Redemption Island for Ozzy, the EDGE OF EXTINCTION is tailor-made for Joe and his no-strategy game.  It all depends on how it works, when they come back FROM THE EDGE, etc, but it's Joe's best (only?) chance to win the game.

• Love 6
On 3/1/2019 at 1:49 PM, KimberStormer said:

Most of this was true in Cambodia.  The catch is hidden in point #4: getting to F6.  Joe has never shown any aptitude whatever in putting together an alliance, and everyone knows they want to vote him out as soon as he loses immunity.  Kelley Wentworth had to drag him kicking and moaning into not getting voted out the first time he lost immunity in Cambodia.  I guess you have all forgotten Cambodia so I will remind you of the story: Joe was moping around saying "I know it's me, it's fine guys I'm not mad" while Spencer was putting his Stephen vote together to make sure he was the Last Nerd Standing, and Kelley had to kick his butt to stop whining and get with the program here.  Of course he did not capitalize on this to do anything and he was voted out at the next tribal.

This, on the other hand, is why I think Joe really does have a shot.  Like Redemption Island for Ozzy, the EDGE OF EXTINCTION is tailor-made for Joe and his no-strategy game.  It all depends on how it works, when they come back FROM THE EDGE, etc, but it's Joe's best (only?) chance to win the game.

I can't recall Ozzy's Redemption Island season (it wasn't the same one that Rob won, right?), but I know he's never won so even Redemption Island couldn't get him the win and I suspect the same will be true of Joe with the EOE twist. 

However, I know the mandatory F4 fire making challenge didn't exist during Ozzy's season, so that's the one variable that works in Joe's favor. I don't know when the next EOE challenge will be, but if it's right before F4, I guess that's his way in.

I could still see him losing though. I just don't see what kind of FTC pitch he has except "I worked hard at camp and I'm naturally good at challenges so EOE and fire making challenges got me here." He's always felt like this phantom threat to me, he's the guy everyone assumes everyone else will vote for when that theory's never really been tested. 

If I could dig up a comparison that sorta works, it'd be season 2 Colby. Won a bunch of challenges, good looking young guy, who was well liked. He got to F2 and managed to lose. That was back in the days before "goats" were a thing and it didn't seem to occur to people to take out a threat like that when they had the chance, so he made it to the finale and it turned out that not everybody was lining up to vote for the golden boy. 

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

However, I know the mandatory F4 fire making challenge didn't exist during Ozzy's season, so that's the one variable that works in Joe's favor. I don't know when the next EOE challenge will be, but if it's right before F4, I guess that's his way in.

I could still see him losing though.

Knowing Joe, he’d probably ask for the Orange Chair.  😄

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Most repeat players try to change their game and their mistakes in order to win. Joe has played three times and hasn't changed a bit. His hair has but his game play hasn't. That said, he's made the jury everytime. I guess that's impressive, right?

16 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I can't recall Ozzy's Redemption Island season (it wasn't the same one that Rob won, right?), but I know he's never won so even Redemption Island couldn't get him the win and I suspect the same will be true of Joe with the EOE twist.  

Ozzy came close to winning, he was one challenge win away. But his win would have been because most of the jury just wanted a reason to not vote for any of the other 3 of the final 4 and therefore very much wanted to vote for Ozzy. Somehow I don't see Joe ending up in the same situation, but then again who knows when we are still so far from the end game. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Most repeat players try to change their game and their mistakes in order to win. Joe has played three times and hasn't changed a bit. His hair has but his game play hasn't. That said, he's made the jury everytime. I guess that's impressive, right?

Not really. The jury starts after the merge when the challenges become individual, which is when Joe becomes no longer useful. You don’t vote out a Joe when your tribe needs to win, you vote him out when YOU need to win. So people ride his strength to get to the merge and then dispatch him.

Usually he’s able to hang on for few votes because he wins individual immunity or maybe someone wants to use his name as a decoy to blindside someone else, but he’s always an easy vote at some point because he never has any solid allies and his strength in challenges makes him an easy target. But this group apparently didn’t want to wait.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

Usually he’s able to hang on for few votes because he wins individual immunity or maybe someone wants to use his name as a decoy to blindside someone else, but he’s always an easy vote at some point because he never has any solid allies and his strength in challenges makes him an easy target. But this group apparently didn’t want to wait.

There's a couple of logical reasons for that.

First off, he didn't win the IC.  As stated, he's usually safe for a while because he has immunity.  But for some reason, he didn't this time.  (We'll come back to this.)  And pretty much throughout Joe's Survivor tenure, the first moment he doesn't have the II is the moment he's gone.  This vote merely followed suit.

Second, now there's EoE to take into account.  The cast now all know about it, and Rick told them how brutal it was.  And I don't think anyone, either there on Vata or us watching at home, thought for a nanosecond that Joe wouldn't decide to go to EoE if/when voted out.   But sending Joe to EoE, to live under those harsher conditions as soon as possible makes strategic sense.   Remember that they watched the first challenge, and they saw the earlier boots were generally doing worse than the more recent ones.  That's what they want to happen to Joe; EoE chipping away his main Survivor pillar: Outplay.  Then, when the re-entry challenge comes, someone else, probably a more recent boot, will be able to beat him.

But then again, Joe might have wanted this to happen.  He knew he was a big target; he admitted that to Kelley.  But even after surprisingly losing the IC (which looked like it would have been in his wheelhouse; it was basically holding a yoga pose for over an hour), he didn't scramble in the slightest.  He painted the merge flag instead.  (Which he really wanted to do, given his 3 item wishlist in the bio.)  I think it's possible that Joe threw the challenge in order to get voted out, so he could go to EoE.  Now he doesn't have to worry about the strategic part of the game, which is where he tends to be weaker.  Now he just has to literally survive until the re-entry challenge comes, and then win it.  After that, there's only a couple more ICs and/or a fire-making challenge standing

Joe being on EoE is a double-edged sword.  And only time will tell which way the blade cuts.

• Love 2

Someone said, I think it was @KimberStormer (?), that returnees often take on the attributes of the winner of their original season. For Joe, that was Mike Holloway. How did he win? A string of immunities. It worked for that guy, Joe probably reasoned it could work for him too. 

• Love 2

Joe's a very outdoorsy guy and will probably help make EOE more like Club Med.  So he's basically got nothing to do but build a shelter, fish, keep the fire going, get in everyone's good graces, and relax.  I don't consider Joe the average Survivor who would have a tough time on EOE compared to some others.  While I don't think Kama was wrong in getting rid of him while they could, we'll see if they regret that decision later on.  

Also, do they know when the person is getting back in?  I feel like I missed a lot this episode by not paying attention for 2 seconds. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

Joe's a very outdoorsy guy and will probably help make EOE more like Club Med.  So he's basically got nothing to do but build a shelter, fish, keep the fire going, get in everyone's good graces, and relax.  I don't consider Joe the average Survivor who would have a tough time on EOE compared to some others.  While I don't think Kama was wrong in getting rid of him while they could, we'll see if they regret that decision later on.  

Also, do they know when the person is getting back in?  I feel like I missed a lot this episode by not paying attention for 2 seconds. 

Jeff told them that EoE starts again after Rick joined the tribe so they know that EoE will be there. And Joe is totally going to turn it into Club Med. He is going to bring in a ton of fish and will help a ton around camp. He is likely to be warmly received because he is not responsible for anyone being  at EoE. And his vote out was considered lame. 

So Reem, Chris and Aubrey have to be happy to have Joe join them. 

• Love 1

Yeah, EOE is right up Joe's alley.  Only difference from the actual game is there's no challenges or voting people out.  Otherwise, it's not different than creating a home on a deserted beach.  I felt like Chris was the only one showing any incentive to make it semi enjoyable.  So maybe it was hard when Rick was there, but not sure it'll be that way with Joe there. 

So maybe Kama did take the risk in thinking he'll be drained and exhausted when the next re-entry challenge comes.  However, Chris didn't do too badly for being a 3rd boot, Wendy was already good in challenges...the only people who seemed to do badly were those that were already bad in challenges in the first place.  I think life and eating will be more cushy and plentiful.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

On EoE, Joe has one insurmountable advantage over Chris - about an extra week’s worth of full meals, during which Chris (along with every other EoEer) has apparently been living on half-rations of rice.  Joe is also on half-rations now, but he has a helluva lot more in the reserve tank than Chris.

12 hours ago, Nashville said:

On EoE, Joe has one insurmountable advantage over Chris - about an extra week’s worth of full meals, during which Chris (along with every other EoEer) has apparently been living on half-rations of rice.  Joe is also on half-rations now, but he has a helluva lot more in the reserve tank than Chris.

Chris has been fishing and bringing in fish. I suspect that the number of fish will greatly increase, Joe is very experienced with the spear gun. 

Chris would have placed higher in the challenge if he didn’t have to untie all those knots. That was a massive disadvantage. And for all of time to practice tieing sticks together, Chris struggled with the making a pole part of the challenge. 

• Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 11:35 AM, himela said:

I find her to be too vanilla, Joe could do so much better.

I can't open your link, I'm in Europe 😞 Could you maybe copy paste what it says here? 🙂

I'm sorry - I tried really hard but the article really doesn't want me to copy and paste, even in bits and pieces.  Basically he has moved to Utah to be with his Survivor girlfriend, Sierra.  He's learning to work with horses.  Here's a nauseating nugget I did manage to harvest.

“I always knew that I was meant to play ‘Survivor’ in my heart. I visualized it. I dreamt about it. I had vivid dreams of getting my dad out onto the season,” he said. “But that wasn’t the reason that I was meant to play. The reason I was meant to go on this journey was to find her.”

Producers had approached him for previous seasons, but he says he needed time to get over the physical hardship of a prior appearance.  He said his girlfriend had been hospitalised for a week after an appearance due to liver and kidney problems.

Edited by Brookside

Everyone has talked about Joe's one single tear, but nobody has mentioned my favorite Joe moment this episode -- when everyone got their bottles and was eagerly reading, and Joe was doing Hooked on Phonics or something: "an ... ad-van-tage ... awaits."

Like, I'm pretty sure Joe can read, but it sort of reinforced his "nice guy with no brain in his head" label for me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Eolivet said:

Everyone has talked about Joe's one single tear, but nobody has mentioned my favorite Joe moment this episode -- when everyone got their bottles and was eagerly reading, and Joe was doing Hooked on Phonics or something: "an ... ad-van-tage ... awaits."

Like, I'm pretty sure Joe can read, but it sort of reinforced his "nice guy with no brain in his head" label for me.

I thought he was looking for hints in the wording and was breaking down different words to see what might be hidden.

• Love 2
On 3/30/2019 at 2:32 AM, SVNBob said:

But then again, Joe might have wanted this to happen....  I think it's possible that Joe threw the challenge in order to get voted out, so he could go to EoE. 

Well, that one TH invalidated this theory.