S38: Kelly Wentworth

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Meet Kelly

Hometown: Ephrata, Washington

Current Residence: Seattle

Previous Seasons: San Juan del Sur, Cambodia — Second Chance

Personal Claim to Fame: “Wentworth, does not count.” X9

Hobbies: Photography, walking my dogs and witchcraft on the weekends.

Pet Peeves: Unseasoned rice, games involving balls, and people who think they’re basically badasses.

If You Could Have 3 Things on the Island What Would They Be and Why? Amazon Prime Fresh delivery, because…food. Clothing options that cover all of my body because…weather. Toiletries, ’cause hygiene is important

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: Kelley Wentworth from Survivor: Cambodia and I think she was also on Survivor: San Juan Del Sur.

Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: I have one thing left to do in this game: win.

Why You Think You’ll “Survive” SURVIVOR:  I survived for 38 days last time. I think I can handle one more day.

18 hours ago, Whimsy said:

Great moment, but slightly inaccurate in the retelling.  Let's look at it again (because why the hell not):

It's "Wentworth; will not count." X9.  Still awesome, and still the record.

Edited by SVNBob
Fixing the video link
  • Love 7
On 2/11/2019 at 8:20 AM, Whimsy said:

Meet Kelly

Hometown: Ephrata, Washington

Current Residence: Seattle

Previous Seasons: San Juan del Sur, Cambodia — Second Chance

Hobbies: Photography, walking my dogs and witchcraft on the weekends.

Pet Peeves: Unseasoned rice, games involving balls, and people who think they’re basically badasses.

If You Could Have 3 Things on the Island What Would They Be and Why? Amazon Prime Fresh delivery, because…food. Clothing options that cover all of my body because…weather. Toiletries, ’cause hygiene is important

SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: Kelley Wentworth from Survivor: Cambodia and I think she was also on Survivor: San Juan Del Sur.

Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: I have one thing left to do in this game: win.

Why You Think You’ll “Survive” SURVIVOR:  I survived for 38 days last time. I think I can handle one more day.

I so want her to get to F3 and win! Was upset when she lost at F4 to Jeremy and his Cronies, Spencer and Tasha

• Love 1
(edited)

Is there anything more to her game play beyond being a pretty blonde girl?

I get the feeling the main reason for all the interest in her is because she is a pretty blonde girl. I cannot see anything particularly high quality about her game play. She is not particularly physically adept. She doesn't make clever alliances. She sort of just goes with the flow.  In other words, she is a very average and ordinary player - except for her exceptional good looks. Am I missing something? Is there any special reason beyond her looks to take much interest in her?

IMHO, she is exceptionally nice looking but extremely average in all other ways.

Edited by MisterBluxom
8 hours ago, MisterBluxom said:

Is there anything more to her game play beyond being a pretty blonde girl?

I get the feeling the main reason for all the interest in her is because she is a pretty blonde girl. I cannot see anything particularly high quality about her game play. She is not particularly physically adept. She doesn't make clever alliances. She sort of just goes with the flow.  In other words, she is a very average and ordinary player - except for her exceptional good looks. Am I missing something? Is there any special reason beyond her looks to take much interest in her?

IMHO, she is exceptionally nice looking but extremely average in all other ways.

I think there have been a lot of prettier blonde girls on Survivor who don't have her following.  I don't recall the details, but I know she did a lot of scrambling, including finding and playing 2 idols, and winning 2 ICs, in Cambodia to make it to the Final 4, despite being under fire most of the game, in a season with a lot of tough players.

I don't think she deserves any sort of Survivor legend status, but she is more than just a pretty face.    

• Love 1

I really liked Wentworth in her second season. She wasn't bad in her first season either. That said, only 2 shows in I'm not feeling her. She's doing a lot of eye rolling but they haven't really shown her much either. She's more on the radar (along with Aubry) so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Will she get played by Lauren? Will they work together till the end? So many questions.

• Love 1

I want to make it clear that I have no strong opinion on this. My post was more of a question than anything else. I have an impression of her and I wanted to check in and ask if other people knew something that I did not know. I am mostly just wondering if there is some other reason for her popularity.

Thank you to everyone who has answered so far.

Purely MHO, but there were two primary reasons for Kelley’s popularity:

1. In Kelley’s first season (SJDS - “Blood vs. Water”) she was paired with her father Dale, who had significant tiffs with several tribe members (most notably Missy of the Missy/Baylor mother/daughter team).  Kelley was voted out 5th, before she had much of a chance to do anything significant in the game; but by the same token Kelley was eliminated before she had a chance to do anything which might righteously piss off the fans. <g>   Throw in a sweetheart edit which basically troutslapped viewers in the face with the premise of Kelley being eliminated because of her father’s actions, and she ended up getting a significant groundswell of fan support as an “underdog” favorite.
  2. This same fan base provided the majority of the voting bloc which got Kelley into her 2nd season (Cambodia - “Second Chance”), the roster for which was decided by an online vote.  Kelley did significantly better this time around, making it to F4 before being eliminated and leaving her supporter fans feeling vindicated - and more than a little POed over their favorite getting booted on the very last vote immediately prior to the three-finalist FTC. Poor widdle Kelley, “cheated” again! 😉

Think that about covers it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Purely MHO, but there were two primary reasons for Kelley’s popularity:

1. In Kelley’s first season (SJDS - “Blood vs. Water”) she was paired with her father Dale, who had significant tiffs with several tribe members (most notably Missy of the Missy/Baylor mother/daughter team).  Kelley was voted out 5th, before she had much of a chance to do anything significant in the game; but by the same token Kelley was eliminated before she had a chance to do anything which might righteously piss off the fans. <g>   Throw in a sweetheart edit which basically troutslapped viewers in the face with the premise of Kelley being eliminated because of her father’s actions, and she ended up getting a significant groundswell of fan support as an “underdog” favorite.
  2. This same fan base provided the majority of the voting bloc which got Kelley into her 2nd season (Cambodia - “Second Chance”), the roster for which was decided by an online vote.  Kelley did significantly better this time around, making it to F4 before being eliminated and leaving her supporter fans feeling vindicated - and more than a little POed over their favorite getting booted on the very last vote immediately prior to the three-finalist FTC. Poor widdle Kelley, “cheated” again! 😉

and, I wanted her to win when she made the Final 4. When she lost the final challenge she (and us at home) knew she was done. She has sort of lived off that ending. She's not the only one. Any returnee's last impression is what people hold on to. I guess it's up to the fans to love them or hate them. I like Joe but I don't think he deserved another try. He's played the same game before and it still hasn't changed.

(edited)
4 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think there have been a lot of prettier blonde girls on Survivor who don't have her following.  I don't recall the details, but I know she did a lot of scrambling, including finding and playing 2 idols, and winning 2 ICs, in Cambodia to make it to the Final 4, despite being under fire most of the game, in a season with a lot of tough players.

I don't think she deserves any sort of Survivor legend status, but she is more than just a pretty face.    

Agreed.  I think she’s overrated as a Survivor player, but she did decent enough in SC.  I was impressed with her during that first tribe swap, when her and Terry were the only OG Ta’Keo members left at Ta’Keo, and Terry’s off on a Sunday stroll while Kelley stuck close to everyone else and was involved in strategy sessions.  And she attempted to pull off an impressive fake idol with Keith.

That said, I’m reminded this season again why I didn’t like her in the first place, and I think all this ‘legend’ status has gone to her head.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Nashville said:

No, that doesn't about cover it.

The story of Kelley going out in SJDS wasn't that it was her father's fault, it's that it was Drew Christy's fault.  Possibly the most ridiculous character in lo these 38 seasons decided she absolutely had to go, for no apparent reason, and out she went, one episode before he himself did in the most gloriously obvious episode ever, an entire hour of nothing but Drew Christy being a complete jackass idiot.  It was a little bit like Sierra from Tocantins crossed with Mikayla from South Pacific: someone targeted by a clownish idiot and not for any discernable cause.

In Second Chances, like everyone on Ta Keo she was thrown into a maelstrom of strange and unpredictable shifts and moves thanks to that human avatar of chaos Abi-Maria Gomes.  Nobody on that tribe could surf that wave; there wasn't a single person who didn't find themselves on top one day and on the bottom the next, and meanwhile Bayon Strong was winning all the challenges so there was never really much of a chance for Kelley to get ahold of the reins.  But she played damn hard, harder than anyone that season.  It's not like we don't have plenty of people to compare her with, here, every season there are people in far better positions who just lay down and die, but Kelley fought for it every step of the way regardless.  She didn't just find idols lying in a stump (or at the end of a stroll in the dark like Jeremy), she had to get one at a challenge, one literally underneath the shelter, without anybody noticing; she had to work for those idols.  (To explain why she was wearing her shorts instead of swimsuit to the challenge so she'd have somewhere to put the idol, she told them she was on her period -- brilliant.)  She and Ciera very nearly took over the game from a seemingly impossible position thanks to her idol and their heavy lobbying (whether people like it or not) and Jeremy had to idol Ciera out to stop them from doing it.  She dragged and pushed and wheedled non-player people like Joe and Keith Nale to get them to vote with her, not to mention wrangling the impossible Abi.  She never gave up, kept coming up with some way to stay in the game, and was one challenge away from taking it all -- not cheated, just lost, but you don't have to be cheated for your game to be impressive, for Christ's sake.

I mean, her Ponderosa is crazy.  She lost a quarter of her body weight.  She was not coasting on her fucking blonde hair and some kind of infantilizing "widdle" anything.  That has nothing to do with why I (or all the other people who liked her, on this board, which was basically everyone) was impressed.  I was impressed because she left it all on the island and played a damn good game.

Edited by KimberStormer
  • Love 10

I do agree that she played a great game in Second Chances and did well to scramble and advance in the face of adversity.  Despite that, I do think that she is a bit overrated partly because based on her attitude so far, I agree with others that she seems to have bought into the storyline that she is a "Survivor legend" who was unfairly denied the win.  The attitude and the eyerolling at Reem and the "that's what Survivor is, trust me, I know this game" aura that she exudes is a bit tough to take.  If I were on her tribe I'd try to get rid of her next.  She doesn't seem to be that much of an asset in challenges in the sense that a true "Survivor Legend" would be.  She took her turn on the balance beam, promptly fell off and whacked her head.

She has this sense of hubris as a returning player that I am not sensing from Joe, Aubry and David.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

The story of Kelley going out in SJDS wasn't that it was her father's fault, it's that it was Drew Christy's fault.  Possibly the most ridiculous character in lo these 38 seasons decided she absolutely had to go, for no apparent reason, and out she went, one episode before he himself did in the most gloriously obvious episode ever, an entire hour of nothing but Drew Christy being a complete jackass idiot.  It was a little bit like Sierra from Tocantins crossed with Mikayla from South Pacific: someone targeted by a clownish idiot and not for any discernable cause.

In Second Chances, like everyone on Ta Keo she was thrown into a maelstrom of strange and unpredictable shifts and moves thanks to that human avatar of chaos Abi-Maria Gomes.  Nobody on that tribe could surf that wave; there wasn't a single person who didn't find themselves on top one day and on the bottom the next, and meanwhile Bayon Strong was winning all the challenges so there was never really much of a chance for Kelley to get ahold of the reins.  But she played damn hard, harder than anyone that season.  It's not like we don't have plenty of people to compare her with, here, every season there are people in far better positions who just lay down and die, but Kelley fought for it every step of the way regardless.  She didn't just find idols lying in a stump (or at the end of a stroll in the dark like Jeremy), she had to get one at a challenge, one literally underneath the shelter, without anybody noticing; she had to work for those idols.  (To explain why she was wearing her shorts instead of swimsuit to the challenge so she'd have somewhere to put the idol, she told them she was on her period -- brilliant.)  She and Ciera very nearly took over the game from a seemingly impossible position thanks to her idol and their heavy lobbying (whether people like it or not) and Jeremy had to idol Ciera out to stop them from doing it.  She dragged and pushed and wheedled non-player people like Joe and Keith Nale to get them to vote with her, not to mention wrangling the impossible Abi.  She never gave up, kept coming up with some way to stay in the game, and was one challenge away from taking it all -- not cheated, just lost, but you don't have to be cheated for your game to be impressive, for Christ's sake.

I mean, her Ponderosa is crazy.  She lost a quarter of her body weight.  She was not coasting on her fucking blonde hair and some kind of infantilizing "widdle" anything.  That has nothing to do with why I (or all the other people who liked her, on this board, which was basically everyone) was impressed.  I was impressed because she left it all on the island and played a damn good game.

But, if she was a plain looking brunette, she would have gone home pre-merge, right? :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I do agree that she played a great game in Second Chances and did well to scramble and advance in the face of adversity.  Despite that, I do think that she is a bit overrated partly because based on her attitude so far, I agree with others that she seems to have bought into the storyline that she is a "Survivor legend" who was unfairly denied the win.  The attitude and the eyerolling at Reem and the "that's what Survivor is, trust me, I know this game" aura that she exudes is a bit tough to take.  If I were on her tribe I'd try to get rid of her next.  She doesn't seem to be that much of an asset in challenges in the sense that a true "Survivor Legend" would be.  She took her turn on the balance beam, promptly fell off and whacked her head.

She has this sense of hubris as a returning player that I am not sensing from Joe, Aubry and David.

I'm not sure I have seen much hubris I have seen from her.  Reem's TC performance was eyeroll worthy, and from podcasts I have learned that it went on a LONG time.   

She was one of the few to try the beam while it was still narrow.  She failed, but many didn't even try and only a couple made it across.   

I liked her attitude towards Wendy in the last episode.  She wasn't taking Wendy going after her personally and said she understood how Wendy felt because she had played with a target on her own back a lot.  

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

(To explain why she was wearing her shorts instead of swimsuit to the challenge so she'd have somewhere to put the idol, she told them she was on her period -- brilliant.) 

I love/d this.

3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I agree with others that she seems to have bought into the storyline that she is a "Survivor legend" who was unfairly denied the win.  The attitude and the eyerolling at Reem and the "that's what Survivor is, trust me, I know this game" aura that she exudes is a bit tough to take. 

I saw it that way initially too, but after the last ep I'm looking at it differently. As @Bryce Lynch mentioned, she had a really good attitude about Wendy targeting her, so I don't think the stuff with Reem was about thinking she's a legend or anything. Also, in this last ep, they showed one of her facial expressions at least 2 times, like it was obviously the same one that they just reaired, so I feel fairly sure the eyeroll probably happened once and they just showed it like 3 times.

I loved Kelley is SC, so I hope she brings that kind of fire and energy to this season. Her play in that season was just a joy to watch. She just gave it everything and I really admire that.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

I remember almost nothing about Kelley from SJDS. I have this vague memory of her being allied with Val (Jeremy's wife) and hoping Val's lie about having two idols would somehow turn things around for them? I might be thinking of someone else or making that up entirely; I'm not sure. In any case, she was enough of a non-entity (to me at least) that I was surprised that she was voted back on for the Second Chance season. (Oh, I just checked the Survivor Wiki and apparently I was confusing Kelley with Jaclyn; therefore, I officially have no memory of SJDS Kelley.)

In Cambodia she was a different person, although it could be that she just got a radically different edit. She played a very aggressive strategic game, but it seemed like her social game was not great, though I can't say whether that was due to circumstance or to her personality. Again I might be misremembering how things went, but if you're in an alliance with Kass and Abi Maria, you need to have Parvati/Boston Rob/Kim Spradlin level goat-wrangling skills and you need to be charming in your own right, and neither of those seem to describe Kelley.

As for her appearance, I would just say eye of the beholder and all that.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Now THAT about covers it.

• Love 2

I completely agree with Kimberstormer.  Kelley played one of the great games ever in Second Chances.  Strategically, socially and physically.  Through no fault of her own, due to a record number of tribal swaps and shuffles, she always found herself in the minority: she had to play from behind the entire season.  Yet she was one tiny slip away from winning the F4 IC, which probably would have won the entire season for her. 

The cool thing is that Jeremy played an equally good game, and a few others weren't that far behind.  One of several reasons Second Chances -- one of the hardest fought, most strategic seasons ever -- is among my three favorites. 

I get the sense Kelley has such a target on her, she will have to come up with a similar performance to make it deep this season. 

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

<snip>To explain why she was wearing her shorts instead of swimsuit to the challenge so she'd have somewhere to put the idol, she told them she was on her period -- brilliant.<snip>

What happens when she gets her real period a week later? Or at any time that isn't close to 28 days?

I suppose it doesn't really matter. She could probably think of a good cover story and not have much of a problem. But it would have been a lot easier if she just thought of a different story that wouldn't have any danger of a "bounce-back" later on. Like maybe she scraped herself. I doubt any of the other players would demand she show them her scrape. If she did get her real period a week later, I doubt anyone would demand she prove something - one way or the other.

So, I guess I have to agree. It was good thinking on the spur of the moment.

Edited by MisterBluxom
22 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

(To explain why she was wearing her shorts instead of swimsuit to the challenge so she'd have somewhere to put the idol, she told them she was on her period -- brilliant.)

Mention your period and no one asks another question!  Reminds me of the Almodovar film Volver -- After a brutal murder (I won't spoil it here), Penelope Cruz hears a knock on the door.  She goes to the door with blood all over her, and the neighbor man asks, "What's going on, is anything wrong?" And she deadpans, "Women's troubles."   And that's that.  🙂

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Special K said:

Mention your period and no one asks another question!  Reminds me of the Almodovar film Volver -- After a brutal murder (I won't spoil it here), Penelope Cruz hears a knock on the door.  She goes to the door with blood all over her, and the neighbor man asks, "What's going on, is anything wrong?" And she deadpans, "Women's troubles."   And that's that.  🙂

And they claim women are at a DISadvantage when it comes to idols. :)  I guess the male (unisex actually) version was Boston Rob claiming he was constipated and out in the woods trying to take a dump, when he was out finding an idol.  

• Love 1
On 3/6/2019 at 1:35 AM, MisterBluxom said:

What happens when she gets her real period a week later? Or at any time that isn't close to 28 days?

Most people who menstruate aren't that regular, and near-starvation can wreak havoc with even a usually regular schedule.  

On 3/5/2019 at 12:46 PM, KimberStormer said:

Sure the fuck does for me - YMMV, of course.

On 3/5/2019 at 10:23 PM, kikaha said:

I completely agree with Kimberstormer.  Kelley played one of the great fourth place games ever in Second Chances. 

FTFY 😉

• Love 1
5 hours ago, EllenB said:

I feel bad that people hold Kelly's RBF against her.  I have an RBF and have been misjudged for everything from anger to snobbery to hate, when I've just been sitting or standing there with nothing particular on my mind.  I had to fight hard to keep a damn job because of it once.

Women are supposed to smile and be happy all the time, you know!  Otherwise you're buying your own hype and full of yourself, or something.

8 hours ago, Nashville said:

Sure the fuck does for me - YMMV, of course.

FTFY 😉

raw

• Love 4
14 hours ago, violet and green said:

She's had that who dared fart in my vicinity face on in every season. The editors are having more fun with it in this one, though.

That's mainly why I don't like her.  She has a very entitled attitude.  Just like Stupert roaring "WHO VOTED FOR ME?!?!?!  WHO VOTED FOR ME!" after the first tribal in which he got votes.  "Like, how dare anyone choose to vote for me?  Don't you all know?  I'm Kelly Wentworth, Legendary Survivor, this is MY time, and you all are going to fall out of the way so I can win."

It's really funny because when Reem was complaining in the first episode that people were throwing her name out there, Kelly was all "This is Survivor, that's the game, it's how it is, of course people will mention your name" and now every episode since she herself has the "how dare people consider throwing my name out there" attitude.  I can't stand her.

• LOL 1

With Reem I did get a bit of a 'How dare she target me' vibe, but she hasn't been that way at all the past two eps. She point blank said she understood why Wendy targeted in ep 2 and I don't really recall her having much to say at all in this ep.

Her face is just naturally bitchy looking lol and she hasn't yet been able to really make any dynamic plays so her demeanor is coming off kinda bored imo. I don't see entitled at all though.

• Love 2

That's mainly why I don't like her.  She has a very entitled attitude.  Just like Stupert roaring "WHO VOTED FOR ME?!?!?!  WHO VOTED FOR ME!" after the first tribal in which he got votes.  "Like, how dare anyone choose to vote for me?  Don't you all know?  I'm Kelly Wentworth, Legendary Survivor, this is MY time, and you all are going to fall out of the way so I can win."

It's really funny because when Reem was complaining in the first episode that people were throwing her name out there, Kelly was all "This is Survivor, that's the game, it's how it is, of course people will mention your name" and now every episode since she herself has the "how dare people consider throwing my name out there" attitude.  I can't stand her.

I was just rewatching parts of some episodes and Reem had a much worse, "How dare you target me." attitude.   Nobody likes getting targeted or getting votes and asking who voted for you is normal.

• Love 1
On 3/6/2019 at 11:53 AM, Special K said:

That is just LOL funny. Thank you for the good laugh!

• Love 2

I've watched every episode of Survivor and I have absolutely no recollection of her at all from past seasons.

They all just seem to blend into each other by now. Maybe that's because it's no longer 'Must See TV' and has evolved into 'I'll get to it when I get a chance.'

Which actually disappoints me. 

But from what I've seen this season...I've seen a lot of Bitch Face and entitlement.

• Love 1
On 3/8/2019 at 3:58 PM, mikewho said:

They all just seem to blend into each other by now. Maybe that's because it's no longer 'Must See TV' and has evolved into 'I'll get to it when I get a chance.'

I agree. In addition, this season has been the worst I can remember. This Extinction twist is completely stupid. Of course everyone will want to go there instead of going home. What a waste of time showing us each of them deciding what to do. It's so stupid.

The only entertainment that may come from this is when the first lady voted off (the one who complains all the time) is eliminated in two seconds during the competition. Can you imagine what she will have to say? I'm hoping that will provide some entertainment. There has been precious little else.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:52 AM, marys1000 said:

I know Kelley said having Rick back was the worst for her in her talking head but I distinctly remember her jumping up and down like a crazy women when he won.   I think she is getting a weird edit.  I don't really remember her from previous seasons (poor memory in general) so all the Kelley love/hate is not there for me.  I know people have been saying she seems really bitter this season so I've been watching.  I think the editors are purposefully editing in clips of her looking mad or sour with clips that are probably from some other time period.  Like that is the character they've given her this season.  

So I also thought the fact that Kelley was cheering for Rick and then saying "Rick is back in the game, helllll no, it's my worst nightmare!" was weird, especially considering the Lesu Lovefest tribal.  Well, here's the answer, it was totally fake.  They frankenquoted her to make it sound like she was upset about Rick coming back in, when what she was really saying was that the EDGE OF EXTINCTION twist itself is bad for her because she voted all those people out.  And that's hard to argue with.

I think this goes to show they really have been giving her the business from an edit perspective, as you say.  They cut in every unhappy-looking face from who knows when so we all think she's "entitled" and "bitter" or whatever.  Baloney!

I think it probably doesn't bode well for her game; they maybe give former fan favorites an especially nasty edit when they return and don't win, then everyone pretends they never liked them in the first place.  Since Guatemala at least.  But I feel like this season in particular the edit has been bananas, probably because they apparently think we need half an hour of losers scratching in the sand at THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION every episode, and they don't have time to craft a narrative that makes any sense.

• Love 9

Yeah Kelley herself put together a nice little before and after video on twitter. I am curious if they did this to tear down Kelley and make her look bad or to build up Rick?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Thanks to Kimberstormer for that video.  Talk about fake news.  Survivor producers/editors are badly misleading us, misrepresenting in whole what Kelley says and does, to push a false narrative.  That's on top of the awful EoE theme, which makes a mockery of strategy and social game.  Show is stooping to new lows IMO.   

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kikaha said:

Thanks to Kimberstormer for that video.  Talk about fake news.  Survivor producers/editors are badly misleading us, misrepresenting in whole what Kelley says and does, to push a false narrative.  That's on top of the awful EoE theme, which makes a mockery of strategy and social game.  Show is stooping to new lows IMO.   

Nothing TPTB haven’t already been doing for the past couple of decades, give or take.  😄

• Love 2

"It was the editing," has always been the fallback for people who show their asses on reality TV. It is especially absurd for Kelley to be acting like it's news that the show is edited to craft a particular narrative, given that this is her third appearance. I didn't hear any complaints when she was getting the scrappy underdog edit in the Second Chance season. She can go have a seat with Dan Foley and Abi-Maria.

Edited by fishcakes
  • LOL 3

Wow, great splicey splicey.  wtf. 

Fishcakes, I think the point is that people forget, for the most part, how much editing is being done.  Numerous times here, even with more hardcore fans, there have been people who stick up for Survivor as unedited, unmessed with etc.  "No they don't do that" or "they only do a little".  Well none of us know how much and I suspect it varies by season but I believe strongly that's its more than we realize or more importantly want to believe.  So people deny.  

Its a TV show.  They edit, the give people characters, the create drama and suspense where there was none, they make shitty winners look good, or at least better to save their assesses.  

The more you delve into secret scenes, pod casts, twitter, instagram, forums with uber fans the more unhappy I become watching because the more you know how fake  a lot of it gets.  For me anyway.  I got so mad the season.....idk, with Jenna and Seabass I almost quit for good.  I had never delved more deeply and felt more certain that the editing was really messing with some realities.  So I've pulled back some.  

But yea, they seem to be making Kelley a sourpuss/villian when she isn't one.  And everybody is talking about it.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, marys1000 said:

Fishcakes, I think the point is that people forget, for the most part, how much editing is being done. Numerous times here, even with more hardcore fans, there have been people who stick up for Survivor as unedited, unmessed with etc.  "No they don't do that" or "they only do a little". 

No one is forgetting or denying this is an edited show. It's 72 hours condensed into 43 minutes. We have a thread devoted to the editing. The video Kelley put on her twitter is itself an edited video. The extra few minutes she chooses to show us is just as incomplete as the few minutes that actually make it onto the show. And she and Lauren were the ones pushing the "let's vote Rick right back out again," and they participated in a split vote trying to get him or his closest ally out, so how do we know that her looking happy when he won the challenge wasn't also edited in out of context? We don't know. We can only deal with what's on screen because if we start speculating about what we're not seeing, we can speculate anything into existence. Kelley got a good edit last time and a not-so-good edit this time. That's the risk she took, and as a returning player she should know that better than anyone.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, fishcakes said:

Kelley got a good edit last time and a not-so-good edit this time

Exactly! And I loathed her when she got the first good edit! I don't care what part of their gameplay her father fluffed up, Dale did not deserve that superior eyerolling condemnation from his daughter on national TV. To my eyes, she's always been a huffy, angry, entitled bitch. She should be grateful most viewers are only noticing the 'sourpuss' now. Ha.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, fishcakes said:

if we start speculating about what we're not seeing

"Is it irresponsible to speculate? It would be irresponsible NOT to speculate!"

- Peggy "Mai-Tai" Noonan 🙂

I love this board!

• Love 2
On 3/30/2019 at 10:50 AM, LanceM said:

Yeah Kelley herself put together a nice little before and after video on twitter. I am curious if they did this to tear down Kelley and make her look bad or to build up Rick?

I'm curious... how does she have access to the "before" footage?  Does she have a friend in production that provided it to her?  Because that's the easiest explanation for how she has it... as far as I know the contestants don't get to keep the raw footage shot on the show?

I'm curious... how does she have access to the "before" footage?  Does she have a friend in production that provided it to her?  Because that's the easiest explanation for how she has it... as far as I know the contestants don't get to keep the raw footage shot on the show?

No, they put it up on YouTube as a secret scene.  I just posted it myself in this thread!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, blackwing said:

It is interesting to see the 2 cuts though. You always hear the contestants say this was cut out or this didn't happen this/that way. Everyone knows they edit the heck out of reality tv. Although, TPTB (Jeff) always say the nothing isn't aired that is not said or done by the contestants . He leaves out the part where they slice & dice everything, too.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/31/2019 at 11:03 AM, fishcakes said:

"It was the editing," has always been the fallback for people who show their asses on reality TV. It is especially absurd for Kelley to be acting like it's news that the show is edited to craft a particular narrative, given that this is her third appearance. I didn't hear any complaints when she was getting the scrappy underdog edit in the Second Chance season. She can go have a seat with Dan Foley and Abi-Maria.

It is one thing when a castaway whines "It was the editing" when they are shown being stupid, rude, offensive, or whatever, 30 times.  Sure, that wasn't everything they did on the island, but if production has that much bad stuff to put in your edit, you probably deserve a bad edit.

In this case, the editors cut and spliced her comment to make it seem like Rick was the ONE PERSON she didn't want returning, when, in fact, she was saying how she was upset to see all the people she had voted out returning.  

IMO, the viewers should be more upset about it than Wentworth.  It didn't so much put her in a bad light, as it totally misrepresented what she was thinking, and made it seem to us that Rick was the one person she didn't want back, when that didn't make a lot of sense, as he was probably the one her group screwed over the least.   

Edited by Bryce Lynch
53 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

It is interesting to see the 2 cuts though. You always hear the contestants say this was cut out or this didn't happen this/that way. Everyone knows they edit the heck out of reality tv. Although, TPTB (Jeff) always say the nothing isn't aired that is not said or done by the contestants . He leaves out the part where they slice & dice everything, too.

I guess the lesson is, if they cut away from the castaway's face, during a confessional, don't trust that anything said is in context, as opposed to a misleading splice job.   

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

In this case, the editors cut and spliced her comment to make it seem like Rick was the ONE PERSON she didn't want returning, when, in fact, she was saying how she was upset to see all the people she had voted out returning.

They also put the extended clip out on the CBS site as well as YouTube. It's not as if the producers went out of their way to make her look bad and hid all the evidence. The very clip she tags as #receipts is something the producers put out for anyone to see.

Honestly, I don't even know why she seems to think this is an issue in the first place. Who cares if she didn't want Rick back (which she obviously didn't since she tried to get him voted out right away)? She gave a confessional in which she said she didn't want any of them back, Rick came back, she along with Lauren tried to get Rick voted out. If I'm editing a confessional and I want it to make sense with everything that subsequently happens and I have to edit three days of footage down to less than one hour, then shortening Kelley's confessional to make it seem as if she didn't want Rick back, which is true, and omitting the fact that she didn't want any of them back, which for the purposes of the next vote is irrelevant, doesn't seem like a terrible thing.

I'm just not seeing that Kelley's complete thinking on the issue is the precious jewel she seems to think it is.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

IMO, the viewers should be more upset about it than Wentworth.  It didn't so much put her in a bad light, as it totally misrepresented what she was thinking, and made it seem to us that Rick was the one person she didn't want back, when that didn't make a lot of sense, as he was probably the one her group screwed over the least.   

Sure, but they had to have done it for a reason.  Maybe to foreshadow some development later on?  Some blindside or conflict between those two?  Hmmm.

6 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

They also put the extended clip out on the CBS site as well as YouTube. It's not as if the producers went out of their way to make her look bad and hid all the evidence. The very clip she tags as #receipts is something the producers put out for anyone to see.

Honestly, I don't even know why she seems to think this is an issue in the first place. Who cares if she didn't want Rick back (which she obviously didn't since she tried to get him voted out right away)? She gave a confessional in which she said she didn't want any of them back, Rick came back, she along with Lauren tried to get Rick voted out. If I'm editing a confessional and I want it to make sense with everything that subsequently happens and I have to edit three days of footage down to less than one hour, then shortening Kelley's confessional to make it seem as if she didn't want Rick back, which is true, and omitting the fact that she didn't want any of them back, which for the purposes of the next vote is irrelevant, doesn't seem like a terrible thing.

I'm just not seeing that Kelley's complete thinking on the issue is the precious jewel she seems to think it is.

I'm not so sure Wentworth's original plan was to vote Rick right back out.  It seems like Rick had a lot of hostility towards WW, Lauren and The Warthog for voting him out.  I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to work with him, but sensed he was not receptive.

Why splice together the 2 quotes?  Why didn't they just continue from where she started talking about her thoughts about Rick coming back, with what she actually, said, instead of splicing in the "Oh...Hell...No!" which actually referred to all of them?  For all we know, she was talking about Chris, when she talked about the one person she didn't want back.