Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E13: I Walk the Line

• Start Topic

A sea of patients flood Grey Sloan Memorial after gunfire goes off at a parade. A blast from the past throws Maggie off her game on the same day that Meredith tries to talk to her about dating Deluca. Meanwhile, Owen and Amelia get some potentially life-altering news about Betty.

Promo:

Original Canadian air date: 2/13/19
Original U.S. air date: 2/14/19

Owen continues to be a whiny pouty man child. Look, I get that he loves Leo, but when you foster a kid, there is no guarantee that you will ever get close to adoption. The goal is ALWAYS to reunite the child with his bio family if at all possible. You can't go into fostering with the assumption that you get to keep any kid who comes through your door.

On top of that, he was totally disregarding Brittany's parents and their feelings. If Owen is this attached to Leo after all of a few months (I can still never tell how much time has passed on this damn show), then how much must Brittany's parents love her after knowing her for 15 YEARS? They must have been worried sick about her all this time. But instead all Owen can think about is himself and his feelings and how he doesn't want to give up Leo.

And then he lashed out at Amelia for telling Brittany's mom that she was an addict. Seriously, STFU, Owen. Do you really believe if she hadn't admitted to Baby Houseman that she's an addict that they would have just let their grandchild stay with two strangers? Of course they want their grandson to live with them!

Threatening to have them arrested for kidnapping was not the way to go. If he had been more polite about it (for example, just stating calmly the same information that he shouted about how he is currently Leo's legal guardian so he can't just hand the kid over without at least contacting some people and doing the proper paperwork), there's a good chance that they would have agreed to let Owen visit Leo regularly. But he blew that chance when he started screaming at them, so I hope he will be content with just being Teddy's baby daddy because I can't imagine that any judge would let Owen adopt Leo instead of letting him live with his grandparents.

Even before Brittany's parents showed up, he was already projecting. How many times have we seen the doctors kick family and friends out while they're treating patients down in the ER? Yet because Seamus said, "I'm not leaving my son!" Owen let him stay while they were working on him in that tiny room.

I was also not here for everyone's assumptions/judgment about Lucille, Marvin, and Julian's relationship. One of my best friends is a guy who I've known since college. Many of his girlfriends hated me because they thought we were too close or because there was something going on between us. Nothing has ever happened beyond friendship - not even close. Neither of us has ever felt that way about each other since the day we met. We are like siblings. Just the thought of anything non-platonic happening between us makes us go blaaaaaa! If people want to make assumptions, that's their prerogative but it's still annoying when people assume there has to be something sexual going on between us just because he has a penis and I have a vagina. It's very possible to be close platonic friends with people who have different parts.

I have been in other situations where I was friends with a guy and then developed feelings for him, so I totally get having to decide if you want to act on those feelings and potentially ruin your friendship if things don't work out. It's such a risk but the potential is so great if things DO work out. I liked Koracik's response to Teddy showing up at his door though. I think he would have been fine staying flirty friends with her but he's also happy to start dating her. Unlike Owen, he isn't going to give her an ultimatum accompanied by a temper tantrum.

Also annoying was Bailey's petty jealousy of Alex. Heaven forbid that anyone think he's doing a good job because apparently she interprets that as "everyone thinks Alex is a better chief than I was and likes him better and I suck and nobody likes me - waaaaaah!"

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Typo
  • Love 21
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was also not here for everyone's assumptions/judgment about Lucille, Marvin, and Julian's relationship. One of my best friends is a guy who I've known since college. Many of his girlfriends hated me because they thought we were too close or because there was something going on between us. Nothing has ever happened beyond friendship - not even close. Neither of us has ever felt that way about each other since the day we met. We are like siblings. Just the thought of anything non-platonic happening between us makes us go blaaaaaa! If people want to make assumptions, that's their prerogative but it's still annoying when people assume there has to be something sexual going on between us just because he has a penis and I have a vagina. It's very possible to be close platonic friends with people who have different parts.

But that's tricky though.  I agree it's possible men and women to be friends.  I've been close friends with a guy for ages and I've met some of  his girlfriends over the years; however, I was always mindful of not being too involved in his life, and leaving him enough space that none of his girlfriends ever felt threatened by my relationship with him.   Sure, it would have been easy to say the girlfriends "hated" me just because they felt threatened, but I imagined if the situation were reversed and if I were the girlfriend and how I would feel, not really knowing the extent of feelings between my BF and the friend.     

That's just how I feel but I'm sure there are differing opinions. ; )

• Love 3

Owen is a selfish prick. They should've gotten rid of him instead of April. He'd have a nice life in Germany with Teddy and their child instead of us having to suffer through season 1000 of his man-pain.  

Andrew is a predatory prick. May he one day crash his motorcycle and be Seattle Grace Mercy West Grey Sloan Memorial's next casualty. 

Link was so non-essential to the "love triangle", he was omitted from the episode and there were no consequences for Meredith standing him up except a throw-away line that she had apologized to him. Guess they needed the screen time for Andrew to leer at her around the hospital.

The Meredith and Maggie sisterhood is on the cusp of adding "Eskimo Sisters" (look it up) to it's repertoire.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 16

Lots to dislike:

Bailey thinking she could just walk in and kick Karev out.  He had a 6 month contract and he's seeing it out.  She just has to deal with it.

Owen's freak out with Leo's grandparents.  (Interesting that Kevin McKidd directed this episode)

Maggie.  Her patient.  

In the like column:  Teddie realizing that she and Owen aren't meant to be anything other than friends.  That means, IMO, when Owen loses Leo, he's going to come and chase her, but she's moved on.... Right into Koricik's arms.

• Love 12

I was never one of those weirdly invasive friends who did inappropriate things like invite myself to their Valentine’s Day dates. Often when we hung out, I brought my boyfriend which you’d think would have helped put these girls’ minds at ease but apparently my friend tended to date insecure girls who couldn’t handle him having a female friend. Thankfully my husband never questioned my friendship with this guy because I don’t have time for insecure, jealous, or suspicious people (and as I’ve had to point out to people before, if I were a guy or my friend were a girl, no one would question our friendship and assume thereymore to it than just friendship).

That’s why I liked Marvin. He accepted that Julian is Lucille’s BFF and seemed to have no jealousy or resentment of their friendship. Likewise, Julian was fine  with Marvin. If anything, Julian and Marvin sometimes bickered like an old couple! I want to see more relationships and friendships like that. Similarly, anyone who Meredith dates is going to have to accept that Alex is one of her people. 

• Love 10

Owen is so freaking awful. You’re a foster parent, dude. You don’t keep the child normally, but ESPECIALLY not when the actual family shows up and is ready, willing, and able. What a self-righteous jerkwad. He’s such a terrible character and somehow he keeps getting worse!!

• Love 15

Ughhh to all the bagpipe music.  

I still feel bad for Owen.  Yes he’s a foster parent, yes it’s temporary but I still feel bad for him.  I see where Amelia is coming from but her interest lies solely in her experiences with addiction and her empathy with Brittany as an addict.   That’s always been her priority with the situation not really Owen.   

As recently as a month ago, Alex was oversleeping and missing work but he’s a great chief now I guess 😕 Miranda isn’t much better.  Please pass this back to Richard. 

I don’t dislike DeLuca but I find him flaky. But my main issue here is Meredith seems like she’s being pressured into this and it’s not sexy.  I don’t understand why we can’t see a normal relationship take place.  Like her meet somebody that she likes it actually wants to go out with.  Why is this so elusive?  

Teddy and Koracick is giving me whiplash 

• Love 8

Everyone was at their worst in this episode.

Alex can't understand someone with a Scottish accent? Really? I'm Brazilian and I understand.

Jackson doesn't know if guys playing pipes is a good or bad thing. It's music, dumbass! Beautiful music. Listen and learn.

DeLucca is a stalker who stalks. So creepy!

Meredith enables her stalker and pretends her sis is a sane person.

Maggie has to treat someone she hates. I mean, really, show? How is that even a thing? She's your patient. Shut up and act like a professional! By the way, how can you "hate" an ex-classmate? Are you 15??? But hey, maybe she can go play with Bailey, who's 12!

Owen can't deal with his pain, so he lashes out at Amelia. And some poor parents in distress.

Amelia is the only decent and sensible character in this whole episode, and I never thought I would say something like that.

Edited by maddie965
  • LOL 1
  • Love 18

I still can't get over the fact that they told Betty's parents about Leo! Not that they shouldn't know, just that the first thing I would have done when the parents show up is call the Case Worker! Which of course would have helped avoid the crazy yelling with no authority. Also, the idea that the grandparents would think it safe for random people to show up and take a baby? Please, you can still have drama and emotion with a case worker pointing out procedures....

• Love 19
9 hours ago, DEL901 said:

(Interesting that Kevin McKidd directed this episode)

I guess that explains all the Scottish people. 😋

33 minutes ago, dmc said:

Ughhh to all the bagpipe music.  

I still feel bad for Owen.  Yes he’s a foster parent, yes it’s temporary but I still feel bad for him.  I see where Amelia is coming from but her interest lies solely in her experiences with addiction and her empathy with Brittany as an addict.   That’s always been her priority with the situation not really Owen.   

As recently as a month ago, Alex was oversleeping and missing work but he’s a great chief now I guess 😕 Miranda isn’t much better.  Please pass this back to Richard. 

I don’t dislike DeLuca but I find him flaky. But my main issue here is Meredith seems like she’s being pressured into this and it’s not sexy.  I don’t understand why we can’t see a normal relationship take place.  Like her meet somebody that she likes it actually wants to go out with.  Why is this so elusive?  

I normally don't mind a little bagpipe music and maybe it was just my TV but it was killing my ears tonight.

I was on Owen's side in that just because they're the baby's grandparents doesn't mean they can just take him from his legal guardian (the same day they learn of his existence!) without even talking to the social worker. Threatening to have them arrested probably wasn't the best way to go, though (he should have called the case worker as soon as they showed up).

Bailey needs to grow up. Maggie, too.

Deluca being all stalkery and pushy is really not doing anything for this story. And I still don't buy that this 20-something guy is so enamored of a 40-something widowed mother of three that he's skulking around the hospital trying to distract her from her patients and acting like it's just a given that she's going to give in and do what he wants. Doesn't he have work to do?

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I guess that explains all the Scottish people. 😋

I normally don't mind a little bagpipe music and maybe it was just my TV but it was killing my ears tonight.

I was on Owen's side in that just because they're the baby's grandparents doesn't mean they can just take him from his legal guardian (the same day they learn of his existence!) without even talking to the social worker. Threatening to have them arrested probably wasn't the best way to go, though (he should have called the case worker as soon as they showed up).

Bailey needs to grow up. Maggie, too.

Deluca being all stalkery and pushy is really not doing anything for this story. And I still don't buy that this 20-something guy is so enamored of a 40-something widowed mother of three that he's skulking around the hospital trying to distract her from her patients and acting like it's just a given that she's going to give in and do what he wants. Doesn't he have work to do?

Yes I am Presbyterian and my church always plays a lot of bagpipe music and it can be quite lovely but not on this episode.  

Yep the correct procedure is to contact the caseworker about the baby’s grandparents 

• Love 3

Owen was way over the top especially with Amelia at the end but he can't just hand that baby over to anybody.  He has no idea what their situation is.  In the foster care system there is always a desire to keep kids with the bio family (sometimes to the detriment of the kid) so these people probably will and maybe should get Leo but Owen has custody of that child he can't just hand him over to just anybody.  The case worker needs to be notified.   

I honestly kept fastforwarding.  I just didn't care about any of it.   Jackson mentioning that Harriet was at April's the night before is legit the best thing that happened in this episode.   Teddy getting over Own would have been if I wasn't absolutely convinced that is just so that when Owen loses Leo and Amelia and he comes running back to her there is conflict.   

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 12

I usually don't care what's happening with Owen and Amelia.. But I felt for them in general and Owen in particular.. Sure these ppl are the grandparents. But the grandpops is talking about getting a crib and thanking the two of them like they were babysitting for a half hour... They been with Leo since the day he popped out... And my general blaise feelings about Amelia are probably coloring my feeling... But I was right there with Owen in that moment... Why The Hell would you tell them you used to be an addict... She knows the minute ppl hear addict they forget she's an amazing doctor and friend... And as soon as she started telling the mom I was like... Yep they gonna throw that back at her... 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I agreed that the grandparents shouldn't have just been able to grab the baby and leave. I mean, anyone could have walked in and claimed to be Betty's parents. We know Betty already had a friend claim to be her dad. The social worker should have come and made a decision or done the proper paperwork to transfer custody.

But Owen screaming at them was ridiculous. He also should have been expecting this since the moment Betty told them the truth. I actually was on Amelia's side for the first time in awhile. She was trying to help the grandmother feel better when she talked about being an addict. It was kind of her. She shouldn't just be plotting about how to help Owen keep the baby.

I doubt they will have the guts to kill off Betty though.

• Love 15

On this show, it's usually a competition to see who is the most immature.  Bailey was an easy winner this week. Richard needs to do a better job of parenting her.

1 hour ago, roundtheworld said:

I still can't get over the fact that they told Betty's parents about Leo!

.I got the impression that Amanda thought Betty had already told them about Leo when she called to invite them to visit her.

Why The Hell would you tell them you used to be an addict...

She wanted to give the mom hope and let her know that someone can overcome addiction and become an educated, functioning member of society.

For me, the fact that Betty didn't want her parents to know about Leo's existence was the big red flag  that they couldn't be trusted.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

On this show, it's usually a competition to see who is the most immature.  Bailey was an easy winner this week. Richard needs to do a better job of parenting her.

.I got the impression that Amanda thought Betty had already told them about Leo when she called to invite them to visit her.

For me, the fact that Betty didn't want them to know about Leo's existence was the big red flag  that they couldn't be trusted.

Amelia did assume Betty had told them about Leo, she even mentioned his name and was surprised they didn't know who he was.  But it seemed like Amelia didn't answer them at that point and waited to talk to Owen first. Which seems kind of weird. Did she just walk away from them or something?

But last week Betty made me think she was just ashamed to tell her parents, not that she never wanted to know. She said she just wasn't ready to tell them.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

For me, the fact that Betty didn't want her parents to know about Leo's existence was the big red flag  that they couldn't be trusted.

And went as far as to use a fake name with the social worker and gave Amelia and Owen fake numbers so they wouldn't actually talk to her parents. I assume Betty gave fake numbers to the social worker/adoption agency too because wouldn't she have still been a minor when she gave birth and unable to place her child for adoption without her parents knowing?

• Love 1

Since Shonda Rimes is always on time with her references, I will note something. 

This episode aired on the one year anniversary of the Parkland massacre. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

The massacre the Scottish father is real. It is heartbreaking.

If it takes fiction to remind us of this, I’m all for it.  

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 19

I generally enjoyed this episode, though it had its eye rolling moments for me. Part of me thought Maggie was ill served by her story, only because it served to remind viewers how much of a child she can act like at times, and that is one of the central complaints about Maggie. But I did like her working with Meredith on figuring out a solution to the problem, and even her conversation about Deluca afterwards. I have to think that the writers aren't REALLY going for some sort of long term love story between Meredith and Deluca, and are just trolling us. Because if they are serious, I have to wonder why they think this writing is a good idea. I mean, I GUESS they are trying to go for that flirty pursuit between Derek and Meredith, but many people have reevaluated aspects of that relationship in light of #MeToo, so I can't see why the writers would think that sort of pushy/stalking/flirty vibe is what long time fans are hoping for. I mean, I was open to the possibility of Meredith and Deluca, but it's the writers' writing that has turned me off this couple in recent episodes. So if the writers are serious about this pairing, I think they are making some wrong choices that undermine the romance they want to build. Hence why I think they are setting Meredith and Deluca up for some sort of crash and burn by the season's end. Watch me be wrong. 

I have very little time for Owen ever, and this turn with Leo's grandparents didn't help. Yes, Owen is absolutely right that the grandparents can't just take Leo from him, but he handled it so poorly, so emotionally, and in such an Owen way, that he shot himself in the foot, like he typically does when he can't control his emotions. 

I agree that there was too much bagpipe music. I like bagpipe music, but it was very much out of place here and the doctors shouldn't have allowed it go on for as long as they did (though it certainly didn't warrant the dumbfounded stares from the doctors, because bagpipes aren't that esoteric). A hospital is supposed to be a place of rest and healing, and you can't do much of either if there is a continuous stream of loud noises.

I don't remember the "throuple's" names, but it is not surprising the doctors assumed that was what was going on. I mean, the woman had a closer rapport with her friend rather than her husband. Of course people are going to assume they are schtupping, simply because I don't think most friends would take the primary role over the partner, even long time friends like they were. Now granted I am speaking from my own experience, only because I would never expect my friend to have a more important role in my life than my partner, and I wouldn't want that (nor would I expect that in reverse). Hell, it would have been fun to have all three of them be in a polyamorous relationship, but I guess the main point of that storyline was to get Teddy to realize that she and Owen will never be more than friends and allow her to make a move on Koracik. I'm good with that couple, only because they seem like they would be more fun and less angst ridden than some of the current pairings on the show. 

• Love 5

It must have been difficult for Kevin McKidd to keep talking in his American accent around the Scottish actors. I was waiting for his accent to break. The father of the boy who was shot was played by Billy Boyd, a.k.a. Pippin from LOTR. I couldn't believe how old he's gotten, but then I remembered that the first LOTR movie came out 17 years ago.

I agree with Owen that the grandparents can't expect to just take Leo without involving the authorities and following protocol. But I'm just really tired of Owen and don't care about his storylines.

3 hours ago, maddie965 said:

Maggie has to treat someone she hates. I mean, really, show? How is that even a thing? She's your patient. Shut up and act like a professional! By the way, how can you "hate" an ex-classmate? Are you 15???

Apparently Maggie was 15 when she was in medical school. How else would she have become chief of cardio at 27? *eyeroll*

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 7

I'm honestly unsure if the show wants us the audience to be on Owen's side in all of this.  If it does, it has failed one million percent with me.  Obviously, a social worker needs to have been notified and involved in all of this, but Owen, as always, has to throw a gigantic temper tantrum and lash out at everyone else without any sense of self-awareness.  You are Leo's foster parent, son, which means he is not your actual child and means the possibility that Betty/Brittany/her parents could take custody of him has always been there.  And I don't think for a second that if Brittany herself had wanted Leo back, Owen wouldn't have used her status as an addict as a way of trying to keep Leo from her, just like her father did with Amelia; his turning on Amelia (the only person acting rationally and compassionately) so incredibly unfairly was proof enough for me.  I'm ready for a helicopter to drop itself strategically onto him and free us all from his bullshit.  If it took Maggie and (at the moment) Bailey with it, I wouldn't mind.

Maggie, grow the fuck up.

Bailey, shove it sideways.

• Love 11

There is no way in real life you just give a foster kid to someone without the social workers being involved.     They would have to make sure the people were Betty's parents, had a decent background, and were safe for the kid.    So Amelia's, "but they're his grandparents" garbage was just that, because they didn't even know Betty had parents.     However, Owen having a hissy fit was ridiculous too. 

Andrew bothering Meredith during patient care was strange, and inappropriate.      Maggie working on someone she hated was unacceptable too, and the character was so irritating.      The picture switch with Bailey and Jo was ridiculous too.      Bailey bears little resemblance to the early years Bailey that I really liked.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6

Everybody on this show is a petty, selfish, entitled asshole.

• Owen thinks he can just keep Leo.
  • Maggie can get the hell out of high school.
  • Bailey just thought she could take her job back and she was such a pointless bitch when Maggie asked Jo for help

I spent most of this episode saying "Just shut the fuck up."

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I think Deluca staring creepily at Meredith all the time is supposed to show his deep desire for her and be sexy. It isn’t. It also makes the age difference seem greater because he acts like a high school boy with a crush rather than a grown man courting a woman with 3 kids. Please show runners make this stop, I beg you. 

Owen is an unbalanced man child. Make it stop.

Maggie how about just calmly telling that bitch to stop calling you Magpie, you know using your grown up words and a calm demeanor of someone she wants to cut her chest open. No, much better to sulk and whine like a child.

Bailey stop acting like a child and pouting that Karev is better liked than you. What she’s saying is she gave her job to someone she thought wasn’t up to the task and isn’t that terrifying for all the poor people coming to this hospital for care. The photograph swapping was just assinine.

How did I come to like Amelia the most?

Why am I still watching this? 

• Love 15

Yeah, the Meredith/Deluca romance is just so...immature that it's hard to see it as a serious, long term relationship. Deluca has now been relegated to creepy love interest who mostly just stares at Meredith. I'm going to choose to believe that this is just a temporary, season-long romance and that it'll fizzle out once the issue of Meredith's kids actually becomes a problem for Deluca (which it will since we haven't seen him talk much about her kids). She even had to point out that she had three kids to him again in this episode. 

Ok, fine, I'm starting to warm to the idea of Teddy/Koracick. Mostly because Teddy was actually pretty decent in this episode, I love Koracick, and Teddy/Koracick becoming a couple means Owen gets pushed out of the picture a bit, and I dislike Owen.

Speaking of Owen, he has a point about Leo's grandparents being unable to just take him, as he is still under the foster care system, but the rest of his behaviour made me loathe him more. When I'm more on Amelia's side, that's a problem. Should she have told Leo's grandmother about her also being an addict? Clearly no, but she did it when she was worried about Brittany and in an emotional state. Amelia genuinely thought she was helping the woman. Plus, Leo's grandmother did seem remorseful when her husband freaked out on Amelia being a drug addict. It's clear about the true reason why Brittany ran away and changed her name in the first place. Not that it's right, but clearly Leo's grandfather still holds resentment toward addicts.

I'm hoping Leo gets to go back to his grandparents, regardless. Owen did get too attached and Amelia's right in pointing out that it was always temporary. Owen's just such a manchild that he doesn't see it. 

I miss old season Bailey. Why do we get stuck with petty whiny Bailey? She's the literal worst. Alex was perfectly reasonable in telling her no. It's not even that he said that he wanted the job forever; he just wants to finish out his six months. So no, I don't care about Bailey throwing a temper tantrum and switching the pictures around. It's why I did like Jo switching them back at the end. 

Maggie's plot was annoying, her patient was annoying, but I did like how that story concluded, for the most part. It was more about the drama than the case, though. 

5 hours ago, Chas411 said:

The way Andrew leers at Meredith is gross. I don’t remember him being this skeezy with Maggie or Jo. It’s supposed to be sexy but has ended up turning me off him completely.

That's the weird thing; before this season, Deluca was a perfectly fine guy. He was actually fairly nice and the description that Maggie gave to Meredith about Deluca made sense....just not for this season's Deluca, who isn't a nice guy, who is a possessive jerk and whose only purpose is to try to get into Meredith's pants. No, show, I don't find it sexy.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, marceline said:

Bailey just thought she could take her job back and she was such a pointless bitch when Maggie asked Jo for help

To be fair Maggie just popped up to take Jo.. Without asking the woman she's working for and who's paying her at the moment.. And to top it off Maggie said she cleared it with Karen like that was all she needed to do... And it tapped into bailey feeling marginalized by karev... Who's already getting credit for work she did.. So for her an already neurotic bag of nerves and idiosyncracies and as a black woman to have this white guy who was horrible at the job only a few episodes ago start to shine had her all outta sorts... That said she was still way too extra 

• Love 5

I've historically not been an Amelia fan but man, if this incident didn't convince her that Owen is not a good partner for her long-term, i'm not sure anything will. She deserves better than a man who constantly belittles her when he feels out of control.  He's resentful and gross, she (and any other woman in these circumstances) should just walk away. Everything is just so over the top with Owen and i'm not sure if that's a story line or an acting choice but whatever it is, it's not great.  I don't see a passionate man, I see an angry, entitled and possessive man.  He can go. 

• Love 23

This is probably a very unpopular opinion, but I never liked Derek.  

I'm older than most of you and I always found him controlling.  

I like DeLuca.  I don't like how they are "Derek"ing him.  We don't need to see that again.  Let him be a nice guy that treats Meredith well.

I've been over Owen since the Christina days, and I'm hoping he grabs Leo and disappears, never to be seen again.

Bailey needs to stop acting like Maggie.  It doesn't look good on either of them.

• Love 16
10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

It must have been difficult for Kevin McKidd to keep talking in his American accent around the Scottish actors. I was waiting for his accent to break. The father of the boy who was shot was played by Billy Boyd, a.k.a. Pippin from LOTR. I couldn't believe how old he's gotten, but then I remembered that the first LOTR movie came out 17 years ago.

I was thinking the same thing about Kevin. I wonder how many takes got blown due to accent issues. 

Billy Boyd! No wonder he looked familiar!

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, dshgr said:

This is probably a very unpopular opinion, but I never liked Derek

In the words of the immortal Michael Jackson... You are both alone... I only started greys about 5 years ago and streamed the majority of the series.. So maybe seeing it in bulk shaped my opinion or my age as a younger millenial.. But he was always gross and mean.. Never understood why the MerDer pairing was so popular.. He lost me the day he called her a whore for sleeping with Chris o'donnell...

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

In the words of the immortal Michael Jackson... You are both alone... I only started greys about 5 years ago and streamed the majority of the series.. So maybe seeing it in bulk shaped my opinion or my age as a younger millenial.. But he was always gross and mean.. Never understood why the MerDer pairing was so popular.. He lost me the day he called her a whore for sleeping with Chris o'donnell...

He called her a whore for sleeping with George. Well implied it. He never actually said the word but we all know what he was getting at. 

I think merder was so massive because of that first season which was almost fairytale like on top of their insane chemistry. The word gets said so much it loses its meaning but chemistry matters! 

Whats killing me with merluca, Krista came out and called merder toxic for the same reasons she’s framing merluca as cute! How in earth is this being flown under the radar? In the time of MeToo how is his behavior still being framed as charming and no one is calling this out? 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, esco1822 said:

I've historically not been an Amelia fan but man, if this incident didn't convince her that Owen is not a good partner for her long-term, i'm not sure anything will. She deserves better than a man who constantly belittles her when he feels out of control.  He's resentful and gross, she (and any other woman in these circumstances) should just walk away. Everything is just so over the top with Owen and i'm not sure if that's a story line or an acting choice but whatever it is, it's not great.  I don't see a passionate man, I see an angry, entitled and possessive man.  He can go. 

Owen has always been emotionally abusive. The minute he doesn't get what he want he goes from Jekyll to Hyde.

• Love 9

I shallowly liked Derek and he was a big baby.  Derek was charming though.  Deluca not so much.  If I was that intern (sorry cannot remember her name) I would've been so pissed when Meredith was ignoring her and was focused on Deluca.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, dshgr said:

This is probably a very unpopular opinion, but I never liked Derek.  

I'm older than most of you and I always found him controlling.  

I like DeLuca.  I don't like how they are "Derek"ing him.  We don't need to see that again.  Let him be a nice guy that treats Meredith well.

I've been over Owen since the Christina days, and I'm hoping he grabs Leo and disappears, never to be seen again.

Bailey needs to stop acting like Maggie.  It doesn't look good on either of them.

I never liked the character Derek very much -- he came across (to me) as an entitled prick -- but I did LOVE the chemistry between the two actors (Ellen & Patrick) They sold their love story so that I believed!

Anyway, yesterday I came here and read some comments from those that get the episode early and going by that I was ready to hate the Deluca and Mere stuff and expecting to see Owen behaving like the angry fool he is... and then I watched myself.

I liked the Deluca and Mere stuff. I thought it was cute and I like how Mere is keeping the power in the relationship=- Haha! "I have three kids and I don't ride on the back of motorcycles!" ha!  and Deluca is Derek-like-- yes he is in a way. I can see it.  And many people have a type they are attracted to--- Mere just happens to be attracted to men who are Derek-like.

Plus Deluca is younger than she and virile-- hopefully she gets some great sex before they inevitably break up.

I was expecting Owen to be angrier or impossible but he pretty much just acted as he always does-- selfish. But yeah. The grandparents can't just walk in and take the baby they didn't even know existed 5 minutes before. It doesn't work like that. Kid is in the system now-- they will have to go through the proper channels. But since I don't care about Owen -- I don't care about his drama!

The bagpipes were annoying.

Anything Maggie is annoying.

Edited by taanja
spelling matters
  • Love 6

Even if I were attracted to a guy, I wouldn't want him standing in my face, leering at me while I'm trying to do my job, like DeLuca does.   It is not sexy.  It's too bad what the writers have done to his character.  

• Love 11

Terrific guest stars in this episode. Wish they'd given Billy Boyd more to do, but I'm glad we're going to get more of Kyle Secor doing what he does best. He'll out-Owen Owen, I imagine - he's great at that mode. Jennifer Grey - I thought she did well too, though it took me a minute to recognize her!

It makes total sense not to just hand them the baby from a logical, procedure-driven standpoint, but Owen is not thinking about that, he just wants to keep him. I can't imagine how hard it would be to foster a child and then have to part with them, but he's still being a jerk. And as always, taking it out on everyone. He's gets angry and stubborn, and then has to be completely shamed into apologizing. I'm sure that's where we're going again.

18 hours ago, maddie965 said:

Amelia is the only decent and sensible character in this whole episode, and I never thought I would say something like that.

This. I really like how mature Amelia is being. This is a much better Amelia that we've seen in previous seasons...let's hope they can keep her on this track. And I continue to love Koracik. I just worry that this being Grey's, he and Teddy won't be able to have a mature relationship, which I'd like to see. Let him be the calm, awesome one while Owen is freaking out while she's giving birth.

16 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Completely true. She's also only had her shit mostly together for about 15 minutes, so maybe enjoy it and spend those extra couple months working on your marriage? Saying she's going to be better and then trying to dive back into the chief role shows she hasn't actually changed.

Meredith, and Deluca,  I just don't get it. Deluca doesn't seem like anything she'd go for at this point in her life, and they continue to have no chemistry. You can smolder while you pressure someone, it's still gross behavior.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, taanja said:

But yeah. The grandparents can't just walk in and take the baby they didn't even know existed 5 minutes before.

Grandpa acted like the baby was a possession he was reclaimng now.

17 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Since Shonda Rimes is always on time with her references, I will note something. 

This episode aired on the one year anniversary of the Parkland massacre. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

The massacre the Scottish father is real. It is heartbreaking.

If it takes fiction to remind us of this, I’m all for it.  

That makes so much sense. I couldn't understand why the Valentine's Day episode was last week when there was a new episode airing on Valentine's Day itself, or why there was so much truth tea about shootings. I liked that the father bringing up the shooting in Scotland 20 years ago and its effect.

8 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

So for her an already neurotic bag of nerves and idiosyncracies and as a black woman to have this white guy who was horrible at the job only a few episodes ago start to shine had her all outta sorts...

This is not the Bailey who was The Nazi that everyone was afraid of 15 seasons ago. You can write personal stories about a character without tearing her down into an emotional mess.

• Love 2

So do you guys think the writers want to turn DeLucca into Derek 2.0, someone powerful and controling? The thought crossed my mind. But I don't remember Derek being that creepy. Or was he?

Edited by maddie965
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Grandpa acted like the baby was a possession he was reclaimng now.

He did.  I was with them until they started getting all possessive. 

Slow your roll, grandpa!  Your daughter didn't even want to TELL you that she was pregnant and had a child.  And now you think you have the right to just take him? 

Personally, I didn't think they had the right to even see the child since Betty/Britney hadn't even told them about his existence.  I know Amelia thought they knew and spilled the beans about Leo, but she shouldn't have let them anywhere near Leo nor should she have let them see him.  She doesn't know anything about them.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, LexieLily said:

And went as far as to use a fake name with the social worker and gave Amelia and Owen fake numbers so they wouldn't actually talk to her parents. I assume Betty gave fake numbers to the social worker/adoption agency too because wouldn't she have still been a minor when she gave birth and unable to place her child for adoption without her parents knowing?

I didn't think Betty tried to give Leo up for adoption, I thought when she had the baby whatever hospital she was at saw she was a drug addict and called social services. Betty referred to "getting Leo back" a few episodes ago. But, if she did, do you need parental approval to give a baby up? I thought if you had a child that overrode parental consent on things like that.

I figured she just lied because then her parents would come find her and try and get her off drugs, which she wasn't ready to do.

18 hours ago, Starscream said:

I was wondering if they might go with the angle of the dad sexually abusing "Betty" and that's why she started abusing drugs.  The father is "out of the picture" because the father is also the grandfather. 

That would be a bit of a retcon, because Betty said when she first showed up she was a normal kid with no issues until she had an injury. Amelia referred to it as an issue with doctors superscribing pain killers.

That was so ridiculous that two people who hadn't seen Betty for so long, and didn't know about Leo the grandkid, would be wanting to take him a few minutes later.     I wondered about the baby's dad too.    Amelia saying they had the right to take the baby was absurd, and Owen yelling about it wasn't helping.     Social services probably gets very upset if you don't mention something like living grandparents showing up, especially since  Betty claimed they were dead.  

• Love 3

I want someone to explain to me why this show is going this route with BettyBritney. It doesn’t make her more interesting, and it doesn’t make me care about her at all.

I also don’t understand why the social worker wasn’t immediately called when the grandparents came to the hospital. Why does Owen always have to react to things he doesn’t like in an idiotic rage? He was justified in telling the parents that they couldn’t take Leo without going through the proper channels; there was no need for him to start screaming like that. I hate Owen, which sucks because I really like Kevin McKidd. The parents also should’ve known better as well. 

I don’t hate Maggie, but WHY do they give her these atrocious storylines that do her absolutely no favors??

Before this episode, I watched the episode from season four where stuck gets hurt from a bookcase falling on him. To watch the Bailey in that episode and the one in this episode is like night and day. She didn’t act like a child nine seasons ago; why are they writing her like this? I did have to laugh out loud when Alex mentioned his contract because just two weeks ago Owen gave Teddy his job, contract and HR be damned. 

This Meredith/DeLuca pairing is not good. Make it stop. Please.

Amelia is the most reasonable character on this show.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The picture switch with Bailey and Jo was ridiculous too. Bailey bears little resemblance to the early years Bailey that I really liked.   

I did like Jo switching the pictures back at the end and her look of satisfaction and then sauntering off with her coffee. Bailey deserved that.

• Love 7