Type keyword(s) to search

Parks & Rec Unpopular Opinions

Brandi, the funny thing about my love for Eagleton is that I'm not even usually a Parker Posey fan. Somehow that episode is the exception! Then again, I almost always really like the episodes that give us a glimpse of Eagleton. And, speaking of garbage fights, I also love Women in Garbage...I must have some weird fetish that I never knew about until now :) (And even writing about those episodes is making me laugh, so maybe I DO think the show is funnier than I usually give it credit for!) 

I usually don't like overly positive people, but it worked with Chris and Rob Lowe did a great job with the role.

ITA. On paper he would have really irked me, but somehow Chris Traeger became a favorite. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 1

I didn't know loving Chris Traeger was unpopular! I'm unpopular as well then.

I love Ann. 

I also love April, even though she makes it hard sometimes. Sometimes the writers overdo it by making her too mean and ungrateful, but I think she adds a lot to the show and can't imagine it without her. I love her relationship with Andy and her talks with Leslie and Ron and think the show has done a great job of showing that she's become a better and happier person.

I love every season. I don't love the first one as much, but I don't think it's as terrible as most people do. I own all of them on DVD. 

I also own a Pawnee Rangers shirt. This seems like the kind of place where I won't be too made fun of for that. 

Andy is still one of my favorites. I've read that people think he's too dumb now, but I really love the guy. I think I actually love every single character. I even enjoyed Jean Ralphio's sister. 

I agree about Eagleton being really good. I didn't know that some people hate that one. The B-plot about Ron's birthday and how Leslie makes it about what he wants instead  of what she wants is amazing. 

I don't think I've ever really hated any episode of this show. It may be my favorite show of all time. It just makes me so happy. I have fun reading you all snark about it but have trouble coming up with my own criticisms!

• Love 3

I love Mona Lisa Saperstein.  

I know a couple of people who act just like her, and my own cousin looks a lot like her. 

That said, would I like her in person?  No of course not. But I think on a show that has such a grounded protagonist and ensemble, the Sapersteins as the 'fools' is just incredible. It's effing Shakespeare.

• Love 5

I usually hate the Ron and Tammy episodes. Or at least I hate the part of the episodes that actually deal with Ron and Tammy. I think the most recent one is the only one I enjoyed, mostly because they were trying to save Jamm instead of Ron.

I am also kind of tired of the whole Ron as the wise all knowing sage.

Edited by Janet Snakehole
  • Love 6
I usually hate the Ron and Tammy episodes. Or at least I hate the part of the episodes that actually deal with Ron and Tammy. I think the most recent one is the only one I enjoyed, mostly because they were trying to save Jamm instead of Ron.

Oh, me too! I was thinking about this when coming up with favorite episodes on the other thread. The Ron and Tammy episodes are nearly all among my least favorites. 

To add to the unpopularity: while I think he's a really necessary part of the show and sometimes agree with him (like on the soda tax!), I don't even think Ron is among my favorite characters on this show, let alone on TV. I love Ben, Chris, Andy, Leslie-when-she's-not-annoying-me and a bunch of the show's minor characters more. 

I, too, find Monalisa really entertaining. She's one of the reasons I hold the seemingly very UO of thinking the fifth season may be my favorite, or at least the one I'm most likely to rewatch. 

After reviewing the episodes, I don't really love S3 as much as most do. I think it's one of the better seasons, but not my favorite for some reason. I do hold the UO of thinking Jerry's Painting is one of the best episodes of the series, though :) 

• Love 2

I love Mona Lisa Saperstein.  

I know a couple of people who act just like her, and my own cousin looks a lot like her. 

That said, would I like her in person?  No of course not. But I think on a show that has such a grounded protagonist and ensemble, the Sapersteins as the 'fools' is just incredible. It's effing Shakespeare.

I like Mona Lisa too, though I'd quickly get sick of her if she was used more. That said, when it comes to Parks characters who are designed to be a pain in the ass I'd tolerate having Mona Lisa on the show full-time if it meant we never had to see Councilman Jamm or Crazy Ira and the Douche ever again.

• Love 1

I don't hate "Sister City." There, I said it.

I agree and I usually don't like Fred Armisen. On the subject of early season 2, "Greg Pikitis" was a decent episode but I never thought it was a standout (Bert Macklin's introduction notwithstanding).

• Love 1

UO: I think Chris is annoying. I wish they had brought Mark back and married him off to Ann instead of her weird ending with Chris. She was bland and boring but I thought she deserved better than Chris. He was too cartoony towards the end.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure my view of Mark, Dave and S2 in general would be improved if I had watched the show from the beginning. But I started the show in S3, so for me the Parks I know includes Ben and Chris and Andy with April rather than still mooning over Ann, etc. When I then went back to watch S2, it just felt...off to me, for lack of a better way of putting it. The whole tone and feel is just different somehow. But if I'd seen S1-S2 first, it might well be the reverse---that post-S2 is what felt weirdly different for me and hard to get into rather than the other way around.All shows change and lose and gain characters, of course, but I totally agree with whoever said that post-S2 Parks feels almost like a whole different show.  And this idea made more sense in my head. :) 

I agree with whoever thought the beauty pageant episode was lame---and it's a premise with so much great potential! 

• Love 1

I agree with whoever thought the beauty pageant episode was lame---and it's a premise with so much great potential! 

Ron wasn't in that episode, of course it's not going to be as good. It is however the episode where my love of your favorite character April began.

I am also kind of tired of the whole Ron as the wise all knowing sage.

Yes, exactly. I worry that this Leslie-Ron fight will end with Leslie having to acquiesce to Ron. Two of my least favorite episodes from the past two seasons were "Swing Vote" and "Prom" because of Ron besting Leslie. The non Ron-Leslie plots in those episodes are great, but Leslie losing puts a pall on them. 

• Love 3

After watching S2 for the second time:

I definitely liked it more than I'd remembered. 

Oh, so THAT'S why people love Dave :) I still Ben's a much better match for Leslie, but Dave had some great scenes. 

I know they're more conventionally gorgeous and glamorous in mid to later seasons, but I think Leslie and April both looked better back then before they started wearing such insane amounts of makeup. 

April was actually more likable to me in S2---or less unlikable :) Maybe since she looked and acted so much younger then, her flaws were easier for me to just dismiss as immaturity? More likely it's that now knowing whether Andy did or would return her feelings brought out a relatably softer, more appealing and vulnerable side  of the character. I still think she's nearly always most likable and enjoyable around Andy, but back in S2 there were glimpses that April had human insecurities rather than the arrogant entitlement we get from her the vast majority of the time.  

The popular opinion seems to be that the show shifted to focusing a lot more on romance post S3 or so, but I actually think the show was just as focused on romantic relationships and will they/won't they stuff then, if not even more so. And speaking of which...

I'd thought Ann/Tom was my least favorite relationship of the series, but it's definitely Ann/Mark. (No offense to those who loved them, of course!) It was just so boring for me. Both characters are the show's blandest characters to begin with IMO (though I love Ann around Leslie and when she awkwardly tries to connect with Ron), so pairing Ann and Mark together was like a season-long sleeping pill. 

Tom was borderline insufferable in S2. Granted, he's always annoying to some degree, but in later seasons I enjoy him in relatively small doses. In S2 I just wanted to throttle the poor guy the majority of the time he came on screen. 

I get why people think Andy's been too dumbed down, but I can barely stand to watch him the first part of S2. I find him so much more lovable from the latter half of S2 and the next several seasons. 

I still think the widely reviled Sister City is one of the funniest episodes of the series. I'm also obsessed with Christmas Scandal and the final two episodes where we meet Ben and Chris. The seemingly most popular episodes from that season, though, like Pawnee Zoo, Practice Date, Greg Pitikis, and Hunting Trip are actually the ones I'd belikely to skip on rewatch.  

Oren (Orin?!) is awesome. I wish he were around more often. 

• Love 1

I'd tolerate having Mona Lisa on the show full-time if it meant we never had to see Councilman Jamm or Crazy Ira and the Douche ever again.

Love Crazy Ira and the Douche. Spot on shock jock parody.

Love the Derry Murbles public radio stuff, too.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Love 1

I like Sister City too. 

I love the Sappersteins. 

I enjoy the April and Andy relationship even more than I love the Leslie and Ben relationship. 

I like Ann a lot but never cared about any of her romances. One of my only complaints about the show is that I think it's a little pathetic how they wrote her as always having to date someone. 

Maybe this is because I like April but I understood why she was so upset about Ann and Andy kissing. 

I'm still not ready for Bert Macklin to be retired. I want more of him. 

• Love 3
I like Ann a lot but never cared about any of her romances. One of my only complaints about the show is that I think it's a little pathetic how they wrote her as always having to date someone.

Pathetic is definitely the right word here. I was so excited when she went through that "dating herself" stage in S5, short as it may have been. 

Here's another one: Diane's kids are incredibly annoying. I get that we're supposed to see Ron growing and sharing and all that, but they're brats who have me reaching for the mute button. 

• Love 2
I was never much of a Rob Lowe fan, but I LOVED Chris, which seems a really UO among most fan. 

The fact Chris is an UO saddens me a bit, I'll admit. I think he is awesome and RL is way funnier than I ever realized. His "literally" always gets me. Also, bummed that he and Anne ended up end game, since I really am not that crazy about her outside of her friendship with Leslie.

I didn't really like him as Ann's boyfriend either time, but I loved his friendship with Ben and his support of the entire group.

Upon seeing "Chris and Ann," Ben and Chris saying goodbye >> Ann and Leslie goodbyes.I love the dynamic between the two guys. And that box was really thoughtful and sweet. *teary*

Is it UO to like Craig or not? Cause so far, I am not loving him. 

Edited by Beezel
  • Love 2

Here's another one: Diane's kids are incredibly annoying. I get that we're supposed to see Ron growing and sharing and all that, but they're brats who have me reaching for the mute button.

I didn't like them either. When one of them cuts her own hair and was happy I really wanted to see her go to school the next day and get made fun of just so I could see her suffer the consequences of her stupid actions.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
I think if people think Andy's been dumbed down they need to rewatch. Hasn't he been pretty dumb the whole time?  if anything he might be a little smarter now.

I don't think so...back in s1 he wasn't a genius but he was someone with reasonably enough intelligence to date Ann. 

• Love 1

My very UO is that I'm less and less enchanted with Ron as I rewatch the episodes. Most of the show's other characters are even better than I'd remembered---even April is growing on me a bit!---but Ron just isn't that funny or often even that interesting to me. And enough with the same 'he loves meat!' jokes already! I find it a little surprising that he gets these gorgeous, smart, accomplished women (Wendy, Diane, etc.), because i find him unattractive, utterly charmless and sort of a jerk. Not a complete jerk, of course---he's obviously got his good points, and I do still mostly love his friendship with Leslie. I just don't think he's as fascinating, funny or memorable a character as he's often made out to be. There are at least five or so main characters I'm much more attached to. 

I've also developed the REALLY UO that Dave/Leslie might have been just as great a TV couple as Ben/Leslie, albeit in a totally different way. 

• Love 3

Dave/Leslie were awesome, that's not a UO.

My UO is that Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman are actors who cannot actually portray the emotion of anger.  They both do it by putting on toddler angry faces and talking really loud.  Which makes most of the last episode utterly unwatchable.  Other than the saxophone fart, not something I'll ever want to see again.

My other UO is that Billy Eichner is one note and we've all heard it over and over again and it's time to make it stop.

My final UO is that the Councilman Jamm character is one of the worst ideas they've ever had on the show.

My final UO is that the Councilman Jamm character is one of the worst ideas they've ever had on the show.

l agree with this. Bobby Newport and Jennifer Barkley were good antagonists, Jamm was a complete downgrade. If you're going to give Leslie a nemesis who is just a selfish asshole, at least make him smart enough to seem like a worthy opponent.

• Love 3

I love that this is such a happy and optimistic show--it's the main reason I've always watched it despite rarely finding the humor funny. But my UO is that it's veering a little into sicky sweet, saccharine territory for me. I feel like we're reminded in pretty much every episode that every single main character has the world's absolute greatest, most fulfilling jobs, relationships, friendships, social lives, and seemingly unlimited opportunities to keep advancing personally and professionally beyond their wildest dreams. Everybody is in love with perfect partners who adore them! Everybody has found their dream jobs and are being urged to become even more wildly successful! (The one exception is April, whose big problem is that none of the millions of great opportunities that have fallen into her ungrateful lap have proven fulfilling for her---so she's still looking for her ideal professional niche while holding down a lucrative job during which she gets to hang out with her friends, all of whom merrily tolerate her awfulness at every turn, and then go home to a gorgeous and unconditionally loving husband. Not exactly the type of hardship to elicit much investment or sympathy from many viewers!) I actually preferred it when they found joy in smaller triumphs and despite still having some problems. Now there are just so many super sweet 'wins' for every character all the freaking time that they've lost their power to warm my heart as much as they used to. The show still isn't funny (IMUO), so for those of us who watch mostly for the happy spirit, it's tough when the show's sweetness crosses into unrelatable, diabetes-inducing treacle.  

• Love 10

LOL---Perd was never a favorite of mine either, except when he's doing the worm during telethons ;) Neither are the public access radio guys. 

Jennifer Barklay, on the other hand, is one of my all-time favorites---though, based on the reaction to her appearance in last night's episode, that one probably isn't nearly as unpopular as I had thought! 

I really didn't like Season one Andy, but by about Season three he became my favorite charcater. 

Season one Andy seemed like a typical loser boyfriend sponging off his girlfriend and taking advantage of her.  He defintely changed over time though April and Andy together are perfect. 

• Love 1

Totally agree. Jamm's level of meanness never fit the tone of the show.  I hope "Ron and Jammy" is the last we see of him. 

Agreed.  I felt like they never got the balance right.  I could have accepted his level of meanness, if he always got the appropriate comeuppance for it, but the balance was never right for me.  It was *almost* worth it, though--almost--for the episode where Jamm said Leslie was his best friend.  It was so unexpected and silly and got a surprised guffaw out of me.

I wouldn't have minded the cartoon villainy of Jamm if he had an anvil fall on his head every time he'd thought he'd won a round.

Edited by Myrna123
  • Love 4

But my UO is that it's veering a little into sicky sweet, saccharine territory for me. I feel like we're reminded in pretty much every episode that every single main character has the world's absolute greatest, most fulfilling jobs, relationships, friendships, social lives, and seemingly unlimited opportunities to keep advancing personally and professionally beyond their wildest dreams. 

I agree, and I think it's been that way for a couple seasons now.  It's why I've pretty much lost interest in the show. 

• Love 4

From the latest episode thread:

The Donna and Garry plot kind of epitomizes the problem I have with this show sometimes. It was cute, it was sweet, but it really wasn't that funny.

Table for two, please! I've said this for approximately forever :) Humor is so subjective, but I agree that this show's attempts at it just are generally lame and just silly/goofy/dumb...not to mention less frequent since, as others have said, the primary objective of the show seems to be super sugary sweet, and if they happen to be funny once or twice en route, that's just a bonus. The difference for me is that I've kind of felt like the show has been that way for a very long time now----maybe even since S2, albeit not as drastically as it is now---so I don't find this season as jarringly different as many others seem to.

So maybe I missed it--I think I missed a couple of episodes last season. But did they even attempt to explain why Garry/Jerry "Just waiting til he can retire to a lovely little place in Muncie" Gergich is still working, in 2017, for Parks and Rec and/or the Nat'l Parks department?

Table for two, please! I've said this for approximately forever :) Humor is so subjective, but I agree that this show's attempts at it just are generally lame and just silly/goofy/dumb...not to mention less frequent since, as others have said, the primary objective of the show seems to be super sugary sweet, and if they happen to be funny once or twice en route, that's just a bonus. The difference for me is that I've kind of felt like the show has been that way for a very long time now----maybe even since S2, albeit not as drastically as it is now---so I don't find this season as jarringly different as many others seem to.

Totally agreed. I don't think the show is all that funny, and its weirdness is very hit or miss, but when it hits I really enjoy it. The characters are almost all great, which is what keeps me watching. It can be way too sugary sweet, and I agree this goes back to season 2, but for the most part I enjoy the sweetness. Plus, lately the show has been doing some pretty fun political satire. I think the current season is one of the best in years.

• Love 1

So maybe I missed it--I think I missed a couple of episodes last season. But did they even attempt to explain why Garry/Jerry "Just waiting til he can retire to a lovely little place in Muncie" Gergich is still working, in 2017, for Parks and Rec and/or the Nat'l Parks department?

A season or two ago, after he retired, he came back out of boredom/Gayle wanting him to stay busy.

... which I agree with your implied critique: why would a guy with a gorgeous wife, beautiful home, amazing kids, and apparently a lot of talent and hobbies keep working for years past his planned retirement so he can be made fun of on a daily basis?

• Love 5

I've been rewatching the show on Netflix and the more I watch, the more I hate April. From drinking champagne on the pit's Facebook page and getting Leslie in trouble to being mean to Ann to drawing the picture of Ben with a stick up his butt, she is just a hateful jerk. She's the worst. Like in 99 meetings when she tells the bewildered guy at the end to come back on June 80th or whatever. Just ugh. She sucks.

• Love 5

A season or two ago, after he retired, he came back out of boredom/Gayle wanting him to stay busy.

... which I agree with your implied critique: why would a guy with a gorgeous wife, beautiful home, amazing kids, and apparently a lot of talent and hobbies keep working for years past his planned retirement so he can be made fun of on a daily basis?

Why did Ron stay in a job he was philosophically opposed to, even though he could make a living as a builder or a musician? Why is Donna still working there even though she's rich? What happened to her condo in Seattle? It's TV.

More Unpopular Opinions

* I actually find Ann to be an interesting character. She's not as over the top in her quirks as everybody else is but she's still got them. I love how immensely awkward she can be sometimes with certain things. And her snarkiness with some things. I just found myself identifying with her more than I thought. She also is unabashedly into a lot of really cheesy stuff and is aware of how cheesy they are  and isn't ashamed of it. I love that. 

* I liked Chris as a character. I loved his overt positivity and I loved how he was such a foil for both Ben and Ron. I mean Leslie was rather positive but Chris took that level of positivity and cranked it on up. I think that is also why I loved the whole mental breakdown/Adventures with Dr. Richard Nygard arc in Season 5. 

* I used to really dislike April. I found her too mean spirited and was really childish a lot with some of the stuff with Andy when they started up. She grew on me though and I find her to be one of the more interesting characters this season. I could really identify a lot with her Return to Saturn sort of plotline where she's trying to find something she's wants to do with her life.

* Tom still annoys me, but I like him and Lucy together. I think Lucy keeps him on his toes. 

• Love 1

I am not a huge Diane fan. Mostly she is just kind of there for me when she is on, but I actively disliked her in the episode with Tammy. I hated that she saw Leslie as a threat when she was trying very hard to get to know her and while Ron's ex wife was literally flashing him.

• Love 2

My unpopular opinion is that I have few criticisms for this show. This might be the first show that hit my sense of humor square in the bullseye. I had thought 30 Rock had come the closest, with its rapid-fire wit and girl-crush Tina Fey, or Arrested Development with its layered payoffs and callbacks (broadcast run only) or Friends, which was my teen years fav and featured a character I absolutely adored in Chandler. Nope, I just needed to meet Knope. I thoroughly enjoy genuinely funny sweetness. Who'd have thought my teen crush on the character Chandler Bing would be surpassed by a not-teen crush on Ben Wyatt? While I haven't loved everything: Jamm; the Larry, Terry name change ; or parts of steamroller Leslie, I consider those just minor gripes.

I can't even pick a favorite episode, or even two. With the shows listed above, I have a definitive favorite. Every time I try with Parks and Rec, I can only get it to five. And they change. This week they'd probably be Master Plan, Jerry's Painting, the Treaty, Leslie and Ben, and Unity Concert. But then I realize I'm leaving out classics like The Camel, Harvest Festival, Fancy Party, The Fight, the Comeback Kid, Two Parties and The Cones of Dunshire. Ugh.

Hello, my name is Fruittree36 and my unpopular opinion is that I have no negative opinion about this show. I'll miss it when it's gone. And it's the only show I watch live and with any regularity, so my TV viewing habits will shift dramatically after Tuesday night.

• Love 5

My unpopular opinion is that I have few criticisms for this show. This might be the first show that hit my sense of humor square in the bullseye. I had thought 30 Rock had come the closest, with its rapid-fire wit and girl-crush Tina Fey, or Arrested Development with its layered payoffs and callbacks (broadcast run only) or Friends, which was my teen years fav and featured a character I absolutely adored in Chandler. Nope, I just needed to meet Knope. I thoroughly enjoy genuinely funny sweetness. Who'd have thought my teen crush on the character Chandler Bing would be surpassed by a not-teen crush on Ben Wyatt? While I haven't loved everything: Jamm; the Larry, Terry name change ; or parts of steamroller Leslie, I consider those just minor gripes.

I can't even pick a favorite episode, or even two. With the shows listed above, I have a definitive favorite. Every time I try with Parks and Rec, I can only get it to five. And they change. This week they'd probably be Master Plan, Jerry's Painting, the Treaty, Leslie and Ben, and Unity Concert. But then I realize I'm leaving out classics like The Camel, Harvest Festival, Fancy Party, The Fight, the Comeback Kid, Two Parties and The Cones of Dunshire. Ugh.

Hello, my name is Fruittree36 and my unpopular opinion is that I have no negative opinion about this show. I'll miss it when it's gone. And it's the only show I watch live and with any regularity, so my TV viewing habits will shift dramatically after Tuesday night.

Cosign!!

• Love 3

I don't think Jean Ralphio is all that funny. I'm not trying to be a prude - it's not that I'm offended by him - he just bores me. This type of character is a dime a dozen in fratboy grossout comedies of many years and he and Tom together consistently make me reach for the remote. 

I love Ben, and Chris had his moments, but I liked the show better when Mark was around. 

I'll always be disappointed that they didn't have Tom date that bartender from season 3 for a longer period of time, instead indulging way too much in boring as hell, overextended stories where he made silly faces over his failed business ventures. Tom's mugging is one of my least favorite memories from this show.

I liked Tom and Ann as a couple far more than I did most of Ann's other relationships.

I feel like the show lost most of it's ability to write humor after season 3. They still knew how to write touching, warm moments, and sometimes I did bust a gut laughing (the red carpet and the ice rink is one of my favorite sitcom moments of all time), but it was a rare thing. 

I will always have a soft spot for the disastrous, pushy pariah Leslie of the first season. Actually, I like the first season a lot, period. 

Andy makes me feel tired, and once the character became one long dumb joke, I began to actively resent seeing him.

I hate how everyone treats Jerry and how it's supposed to be acceptable that everyone belittles and degrades him, and even worse, that it's somehow all his fault, and what he deserves. For a show that feigns at being heartwarming, this is a very disturbing way to treat an easy target.

I preferred April with the boyfriend who had a boyfriend. I always wanted to see more of that relationship.

I don't really like the "treat yo self" scene, even with the funny Batman gag. It screamed of trying too hard.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 5

I'll always be disappointed that they didn't have Tom date that bartender from season 3 for a longer period of time, instead indulging way too much in boring as hell, overextended stories where he made silly faces over his failed business ventures. Tom's mugging is one of my least favorite memories from this show.

You are aware she's back on the show now, right?

• Love 1

I haven't enjoyed this season nearly as much as last season.  The Unity Concert was on Esquire last night (they replayed the whole show start to finish, but not in HD, bleck), and it was such a perfect, perfect series finale.  Was last year supposed to be the last?  This 2 month rush job is doing nothing for me whatsoever.