Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/11/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Hilarious! In one of falltime's clips (above), Abby says directly to Freddie Highmore, "You play...in case you haven't seen the show, you play a surgical resident who has autism and it is the most watched show on ABC," and continued with a silly question (written by someone else).  Tinkerbell's comment about these "interviews" is spot on.  If a star of a TV show can't sit down and present what his producers want, then get someone else to handle that part.  In this case, Freddie Highmore can handle anything.  Abby's wording cracked me up.

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Tosia said:

The suit with the front bun? Very Janelle Monae?  I love her!!!

On Janelle Monae it looks fantastic. On Meghan, not so much.  Meggie is no Janelle. 

I didn't get to hear the Amazon convo due to the press conference, but my town (Indy) campaigned hard for the deal.  It would have been a good fit except for the local political climate. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, falltime said:

Oh, she HATES this style. HATES it. And this post proves it because she posted it to insist how much she loves it because she really HATES it and she knows how ridiculous she looks. 

I like Sunny and I’m not trying to be ageist  but this style works better on 20-somethings. Jlo can’t even pull it off anymore. Sunny looks so much better with the soft waves and minimal makeup.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I didn't get to hear the Amazon convo due to the press conference, but my town (Indy) campaigned hard for the deal.  It would have been a good fit except for the local political climate. 

Well you didn't miss much because MM started talking about how wonderfully Zappos transformed part of Las Vegas; Ahhbee & Meh-gun raved about the wonders of gentrification.  Sunny turned the topic back to Amazon & NYC, mentioning that poor people get kicked out and can no longer afford to live in their newly gentrified neighbourhood.  MM thinks she in charge of all topics & came back with "I was talking about Las Vegas!", as if Sunny had interrupted her.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Well you didn't miss much because MM started talking about how wonderfully Zappos transformed part of Las Vegas; Ahhbee & Meh-gun raved about the wonders of gentrification.  Sunny turned the topic back to Amazon & NYC, mentioning that poor people get kicked out and can no longer afford to live in their newly gentrified neighbourhood.  MM thinks she in charge of all topics & came back with "I was talking about Las Vegas!", as if Sunny had interrupted her.

Of course the two rich kids would be in favor of gentrification because they have never been in danger of being forced out of their neighborhoods.

And Meghan you stupid twit NYC and Las Vegas are totally different cities.  And Zappos and Amazon are totally different companies. 

• Love 19
13 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

The compilation of Meghan's looks that one of our posters compiled shows that sometimes (rarely) her hair looks really nice. I don't understand the need to have a different hairstyle every day. Do people do this? Maybe it is because I am old now, but I struggle to find one flattering hairstyle. When they pile her hair up on her head, it is not flattering. I think she looks best with it down with a little curl in it.    I can't even look at her without laughing. I don't know how the rest of the panelists are keeping it together. Her hair looks like a poorly placed hat. Somebody had to have won a bet for doing this to her.

The multiple different hairstyles remind me of Raven Symone when she was a co-host.  There were so many times when she walked out and my first reaction was "WTF~~was she actually thinking that is a good look?"

I'm thinking that Meghan "adopted" the same hair people that Raven had - they like to do edgy hairstyles, without any regard to the person under the hair. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 2/12/2019 at 1:15 PM, May Jacks said:

I’m so tired of Abby and NutMeg bringing up arbitrary polls with no pushback from the others. Ugh

Arbitrary polls lead to one of two responses: either to interpret all changes in polling support as real or to argue that polls tell us absolutely nothing because of all that uncertainty involved. This black and white view of opinion polls does not do justice to their usefulness. It would be prudent to have a policy regarding quoting poll data to include basic relevant information about opinion polls, such as the name of the poll, when the poll was taken, the number of respondents and the associated margin of error. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 9

The huh? hairstyles were much more eyecatching, but I was also side-eying the frayed neckline on 75/76 year old Joy's denim jacket.  As one gray panther to another, let's leave the teen styles to high schoolers (&/or Meghans - of any stripe) and embrace a little Silver Foxiness.  IMO Joy looked great in the multi-strand necklace she ripped off earlier this week - suffer (for an hour) to be beautiful , just once in a while!  (Or maybe appear desperate for attention for the same time span, a la Megs...)

• Love 3

I watched Tuesday's Lorena Bobbit appearance with interest and she seemed well-spoken and credible. THEN i watched the Amazon docuseries and now I have my doubts about her mental stability (back then and now) which is not to say she wasn't /isn't credible and I am not passing judgement . Interestingly, Whoopi makes several appearances using the event in her stand up as one of the many comics who went to town with it, and also in present day persona. It was probably a good thing she was out sick that day.

Edited by pachebo
clarification
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, telemachus2 said:

As one gray panther to another, let's leave the teen styles to high schoolers

OR...look at it the way I did:  Yikes!  Joy's jacket is starting to fray.  She didn't notice it and neither did the wardrobe mavens.  I didn't consider that she was trying to be a cool kid. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, ClaraF said:

It would be prudent to have a policy regarding quoting poll data to include basic relevant information about opinion polls, such as the name of the poll, when the poll was taken, the number of respondents and the associated margin of error. 

I agree.  ALL of this information is necessary.  Joy gave the name of a poll recently (Rasmussen) and we learned it definitely was NOT up to the MMcM Political Analysts/Pundints R-Us standards.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, deirdra said:

This morning's Wall Street Journal noted that real estate prices (including homes) already jumped over 35% with only the "news" that Amazon was coming to Long Island City. Sunny is correct, that poor people (and not-so-poor) will be "gentrified" out of their neighborhoods.  Many old Seattle residents consider that Amazon "vanquished" the area.  Only high-earners can afford to live there.  Doesn't that seem like the commonest of sense?

23 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

Of course the two rich kids would be in favor of gentrification because they have never been in danger of being forced out of their neighborhoods.

And Meghan you stupid twit NYC and Las Vegas are totally different cities.  And Zappos and Amazon are totally different companies. 

Megan, I agree with BlondieC0332 about your twittiness.  That sounds like a style of royal address, "Your Twittiness!"

Zappos (purchased by Amazon in 2009) has 1500 employees in Las Vegas (pop. 650,000). I don't know that 1500 could have made much difference in "transforming" Vegas neighborhoods--unless all 1500 lived in the same area.  

Edited by HaaCHOO
Your Twittiness!
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, njbchlover said:

The multiple different hairstyles remind me of Raven Symone when she was a co-host.  There were so many times when she walked out and my first reaction was "WTF~~was she actually thinking that is a good look?"

Sometimes they worked; many times they didn't.  Still I always thought they were fun and (usually) works of art.  

In 1965-ish I had one of the first "Sassoon" geometric hairstyles in Tucson.  It was very new.  I worked in the Tucson state employment office and one of my "regular" day workers commented on my hair.  I told him I was getting used to it.  He said, "At first I was worried, I thought you had brain surgery."

Sassoon.jpg.b8d35136d9604b14b1ec8e4a08b83524.jpg

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

Sometimes they worked; many times they didn't.  Still I always thought they were fun and (usually) works of art.  

In 1965-ish I had one of the first "Sassoon" geometric hairstyles in Tucson.  It was very new.  I worked in the Tucson state employment office and one of my "regular" day workers commented on my hair.  I told him I was getting used to it.  He said, "At first I was worried, I thought you had brain surgery."

Sassoon.jpg.b8d35136d9604b14b1ec8e4a08b83524.jpg

You just made just made me come out of my self imposed exile from posting to say this is the best post ever!!!

Edited by Bronzedog
  • Love 5
On 2/15/2019 at 4:12 PM, Apprentice79 said:

Why is AOC being blamed for this Amazon kerfuffle?  The obsession with AOC is really annoying.  Google and Apple are doing great things in New York without getting $3 billion.  I don't trust Amazon. Look at what happened to Seattle after they went there.. Amazon could have negotiated with the local politicians and try to reach an agreement that would be mutually beneficial.  Amazon could have offered to help with the crumbling subway system in New York, nope, they just wanted to suck the city dry. Plus, the alleged 20,000 jobs was supposed to be over a decade.  Too many companies are getting corporate welfare and then turning around, by reneging on their promise to create jobs for the people.

Yup, AOC wasn't even the main opponent of the Amazon deal in NY.  It was a lot of the local New York politicians in city council (Corey Johnson, Julia Salazaar etc), as well a ton of community activists that led the charge (because they were pissed that Cuomo and others essentially tried to sign off the deal without even consulting the communities that would be affected by the possible gentrification).  AOC supported them, but wasn't even close to being the leading opposition.

One of the issues I believe that was trying to be negotiated was having unions, which Amazon definitely does not want.  Also like what Sunny pointed out most of the jobs actually would not be people from Queens or the Bronx.  All those high paying jobs would be people applying externally (especially since the job descriptions would probably not be compatible with the people in those areas)

Listening to Abby and Meghan talk about this subject, it really shows their massive blindspots when it talks about the issue of poverty and gentrification.

Ana talked about how she knew Marcus Samuelson, and Meghan immediately talked about how she knew him too.  Shut up Meghan.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

OR...look at it the way I did:  Yikes!  Joy's jacket is starting to fray.  She didn't notice it and neither did the wardrobe mavens.  I didn't consider that she was trying to be a cool kid. 

The jacket hem appeared to be frayed, too, so maybe a "casual Friday " choice - just bugged me a bit. What's the world coming to?  Next thing you know, we'll have sleazy, greedy reality stars in the White House, evangelicals supporting serial molesters, and Russian dolls infiltrating the NRA. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, seltzer3 said:

Ana talked about how she knew Marcus Samuelson, and Meghan immediately talked about how she knew him too.  Shut up Meghan.

Meghan has mentioned "Shooter" Jennings twice because she knows him.  I wanted to tell her that I know him too...and his mother and (late) father.  I knew his mother when she was a 17-year-old "mistress."

• Love 8
On 2/15/2019 at 10:09 PM, Angelsmom1009 said:

I like Sunny and I’m not trying to be ageist  but this style works better on 20-somethings. Jlo can’t even pull it off anymore. Sunny looks so much better with the soft waves and minimal makeup.

Sunny looked like Charo to me in that hairdo.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 2/12/2019 at 12:17 PM, debbie311 said:

Re Sunny - she wears make-up to bed??  I missed that one.  And why?  So many reasons not to.  For all my life I have been told it is a big no-no.  Plus, wouldn't it get all over the pillow?  And it's dark (I would assume) so who cares?  Even if they "do it" with the lights on, can't she get up and wash her face afterward? 😉 I can imagine what it must look like in the morning, with mascara smeared all over, etc.  Maybe she sleeps on her back and doesn't move?

I can't remember the exact details, but I think the point was that she didn't want her husband to ever see her without makeup.  I find that really sad, especially after many years of marriage.   It sounds like something that women felt they needed to do many, many decades ago.  Look pretty for your husband at all times!  Otherwise he'll wander!

I would last about two minutes in a relationship where I felt I couldn't look like myself.  I don't know if Manny makes her feel insecure, or if this is just some ill-advised thing she voluntarily does on her own.  Either way, I think it's awful.  And sad.

I was always on the fence about Sunny, but this is the kind of thing that makes her go way down in my estimation.  Why does she feel she needs to do this?  And what is she teaching her daughter about superficiality, self-esteem, and self-worth?  For someone so high and mighty about being a good mother, she really needs to think about that.

• Love 8
On 2/13/2019 at 6:39 PM, deirdra said:

Except that Meghan never waits for anyone to finish; she jumps in mid-sentence even when the moderator hasn't finished setting up the topic.  S.E. Cupp should be giving Babe pointers on how to have a real back-and-forth conversation that involves listening and not filibustering or reading her husband's blue cards. And no, wearing S.E. Cupp glasses again will not help.

Among her many other issues, she has huge problems with impulse control.  She constantly (and rudely) interrupts, as though what she has to say for sure is more important and interesting than what anyone else has to say.  She's childlike in so many ways, and it's pretty clear that she was indulged as a child.  And never grew up.

On 2/14/2019 at 12:53 AM, ChiCricket said:

I asked one of my sons how he felt about it, and he replied, "Sometimes it's a little awkward but I appreciate people saying it to me." So one size doesn't fit all. Who knows. I do know now I'll never be able to say it to someone again without feeling squicky, just in case I'm offending someone. 

Military members are all people after all, so they have many different viewpoints about a lot of things, I'm sure. That's why meh-gun bugs me when she acts like she knows how ALL military people think.

I think some of the awkwardness for them comes from not knowing how to respond, especially for those who feel it was their duty to serve.  The best response I've ever heard to "Thank you for your service" was, "Thank you for your support".

And yes, Meghan has a nasty habit of grouping people together and painting them with the same brush.   She sees herself as qualified to speak for these groups and to enlighten the rest of us as to how they think.  She's a joke, really, a caricature of herself.

On 2/14/2019 at 12:40 PM, blondiec0332 said:

Abby always seems so gleeful when talking about "the left" being criticized.  She is annoying me more and more each day.

Me too.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

The best response I've ever heard to "Thank you for your service" was, "Thank you for your support"

Oh..I really like this and will suggest it to him.

My other son finally responded, and here's his thoughts:

"Mom, the thanks for your service is always fine for me. The part that always makes me cringe is when they ask a ton of questions about what you do, where you work, etc. It's very easy to take small amounts of insignificant information, and when combined be very sensitive. It's kind of like when people say on FB that they will be out of town for a couple weeks. Very easy for someone to use that info in a bad way."

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

Among her many other issues, she has huge problems with impulse control.  She constantly (and rudely) interrupts, as though what she has to say for sure is more important and interesting than what anyone else has to say.

And "her" producer, the Executive Producer, Brian, seems to support her behavior.  Probably encourages it.  TPTB must encourage it too; otherwise we wouldn't be subjected to it FIVE MORNINGS A WEEK!

• Love 3

on Friday's show, Miss Missy proudly proclaims that she does not participate in sponsored segments. I assume it's optional for the co-hosts, and i also do think it diminishes their credibility (Sunny in particular). Was her change of heart due to the "spokesperson" being a RHW or a subconscious attraction to the product itself?

• Love 4
13 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I can't remember the exact details, but I think the point was that she didn't want her husband to ever see her without makeup.  I find that really sad, especially after many years of marriage.   

Sunny has also said she would never get divorced if Manny cheated on her, so why not let her skin breathe?  Both of these things (and the Charo hairdo) make her plummet in my estimation.  How can you say never without knowing the circumstances?

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

And "her" producer, the Executive Producer, Brian, seems to support her behavior.  Probably encourages it.  TPTB must encourage it too; otherwise we wouldn't be subjected to it FIVE MORNINGS A WEEK!

Yes, "Her" Excective Producer, Brian Teta, really seems to be encouraging her behavior.  I think she's looking directly at him when she looks out into the audience after making one of her smug, nasty remarks or meltdowns.  He sits in the first row.  He was with David Letterman for many years prior to taking the job at The View.  The other Co-Executive Producer, Candi Carter, was with Oprah!  I believe she stays in the control room. It boggles my mind that they are finding Nutmeg's behavior acceptable or are encouraging these childish outbursts.  They've worked on highly successful shows and I would think the consensus would be Nutmeg needs to be reigned in or replaced.  I just don't get it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Badbea99 said:

Yes, "Her" Excective Producer, Brian Teta, really seems to be encouraging her behavior.  I think she's looking directly at him when she looks out into the audience after making one of her smug, nasty remarks or meltdowns.  He sits in the first row. 

Ahh!   Just as I suspected.  Shades of Bill Geddie.

He was with David Letterman for many years prior to taking the job at The View. 

What a step down for Bri Bri.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, pachebo said:

on Friday's show, Miss Missy proudly proclaims that she does not participate in sponsored segments. I assume it's optional for the co-hosts, and i also do think it diminishes their credibility (Sunny in particular). Was her change of heart due to the "spokesperson" being a RHW or a subconscious attraction to the product itself?

It was definitely because Real Housewife of New York, Sonya Morgan, was the spokesperson for the CoolSculpting.  Sonya pissed me off when she said she brought NM a pair of shoes from her line.  What about the other hosts?  I thought that was in very bad taste and I'm sure it made the bitch feel quite superior.  I wish Andy Cohen would make her an offer she can't refuse to join the Real Housewives of New York.  Knowing her she'd accept and still keep her job on The View.  Bethenny Frankel would chew her up and spit her out in a heartbeat.  LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 2/17/2019 at 3:27 AM, HaaCHOO said:

Meghan has mentioned "Shooter" Jennings twice because she knows him.  I wanted to tell her that I know him too...and his mother and (late) father.  I knew his mother when she was a 17-year-old "mistress."

You'd be a rock star in my house. Daddy is alllll about Waylon. He has a huge oil portrait in his living room. He sends me a Waylon video every night even though he lives in my house. LOL!   

• Love 1