Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/11/2019

Jaded
  • Start Topic

57 minutes ago, Jewell2 said:

When we didn’t have the technology of Ancestry.com and 23 and Me, we had to rely on our families to tell us where we come from...I have thought about doing some of these before, but I also think about how it could change my whole outlook if (more likely than not) I find out what I really am, not what I think I am !!😎

I've read up and seen quite a bit of interviews with geneticists who say that while these technologies are nice, they are only best guesses based on a set of data available. The isolate unique identifiers and then compare it with the data in their system and they pinpoint origins based on your matches with others who are also from those reaches. They are a good estimate of continental origins, but the specificities of regions are apparently at best, a confidence of 50%. Not to burst anyone's bubble...I've personally taken two different tests (I was more interested in seeing what DNA could identify in terms of medical history and finding potential relatives) but the biggest takeaway from all of these interviews and readings is these tests should not replace the oral histories shared through generations. Just because your test doesn't reflect the family history you know doesn't mean that your family history isn't true or a part of you. I wouldn't dissuade anyone from doing it but don't be afraid to do it because you're afraid your history isn't correct...it's likely more correct than what any of these kinds of tests can identify!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Orillia said:

I think they left the b out. It should have been Garbage magazine.

Hee.  Coincidentally, I just googled them a second ago to make sure I had the name right and I see that they also featured a piece on Post Malone and his "style."  So lauding Whoopi for hers now makes total sense. 

post-malone-2019-grammy-awards.jpg

Edited by Cementhead
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, HaaCHOO said:

Elizabeth Warren made the same mistake THOUSANDS of Americans have made...counting on family history as passed down through generations.  Probably 80% of Oklahoma natives mistakenly think they're Native Americans.  I'll bet if someone really searches, there's something in Sunny's "history" that she believes and claims to be true...but DNA or other family members will prove false.  (Love every word here, Apprentice79)

Another piece of that is the idea of "one drop".  my father told me that a person could not claim to be white if they had one drop of Negro blood.  When I worked in a state-financed mental health agency, you had to check a box for each patient's race - and there was no box for "mixed".  So someone could be classified as Black one time, white the next, and native American the time after that.  Warren's DNA test did show some native American DNA, and if she put that on an application in the 70's - SO WHAT? 

• Love 12

ABout the sex dungeon house - while I agree that adults are allowed to do what they please in their own home, I would have an issue with a house like this next door to  me if they were renting it out as an Air B&B -  only because I would think of the possibility of people renting it to have weird S&M parties/orgies, and the effect it might have on the neighborhood.   When people rent a house for a week or two, they're not necessarily thinking about being good neighbors.  

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Rainyhawk said:

Did anyone think Meghan spent an unusually long time staring at the sex room photo?  She looked at if for a long time as they started, then turned to the table and then went back to looking at the photo.  And then during the discussion she continued to glance back at it.  It was interesting.  

I assumed she was trying to hide the tears in her eyes after getting spanked by Joy and crying to the producers during the commercial.

No doubt the makeup people must hate working on the show this year. Not only do they have to put up with that McCain asshole before the show, they have to deal with her 3-4 more times throughout the hour re-applying because of tantrums. Hopefully their insurance covers hearing loss from having to be up close to that heaving dragon.

• LOL 6
  • Love 9

Speaking of makeup people,Meghan was on the Colbert show last Thursday (or Friday). Her eye makeup was smudged on one eye and her lipstick (bright,bright red) looked smeared.  I have never seen anyone who appears on tv ask such as she does have this issue.   Do makeup people hate her everywhere she goes?

• LOL 6
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, Jewell2 said:

Speaking of makeup people,Meghan was on the Colbert show last Thursday (or Friday). Her eye makeup was smudged on one eye and her lipstick (bright,bright red) looked smeared.  I have never seen anyone who appears on tv ask such as she does have this issue.   Do makeup people hate her everywhere she goes?

Yes

• LOL 11
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, OnTime said:
33 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Did I hear Joy correctly that she said MM was having a hissy fit? 

Yep, and the best thing Joy ever said!!

Meghan got fileted and then pouted about it.

Meghan was quietly steaming (at least she was quiet!) for a good ten minutes (which involved a station break).  When she deigned to speak, her voice was subdued.  I wish that were the voice we heard every weekday.

• Love 16

After reading the comments, I had to give in and watch the clip, lol.  So from what I can tell, Meghan was making commentary while Joy was reading the statement introducing the topic to the table/audience and when she asked to get through her reading, Meghan took offense to that and when she finally did speak, she sarcastically asked for permission to speak and then got mad when Joy gave it right back to her and told her that they won’t continue if she’s going to throw a hissy fit and then proceeded to the next topic without conceding time to Meghan to make her point (a point she could have probably made if she didn’t waste time with her sarcasm). Did I understand that segment correctly? Meghan’s idea of self-importance is quite outstanding. She’ll probably blame the situation on an attempt to censor her or to use labels like ‘hissy fit’ because she’s a woman who isn’t afraid to speak her mind…she likes to make herself the hero or victim…whichever one fits whatever narrative she’s running with at any given time.  If your response to someone telling you that unprofessionalism/immaturity will not be entertained is to simply sit in radio silence, it suggests that is your only option because you apparently can be neither mature or professional.

Why is J.Lo’s performance considered a controversy? Yes, there were definitely better singers who could fit the Motown vibe but isn’t music supposed to be transcendent of race, colour, creed, etc.? Why do we have to assume that someone who ‘sounds’ like Motown should be the person paying tribute to Motown? I don’t know what degree of influence Motown had on Jennifer as a fan of music so I’m not saying this in defense of her performing the tribute, I’m asking the question in response to people who think that something should be categorized as offensive or controversial simply because it doesn’t meet their subjective preferences. I don’t generally watch award shows or read Twitter when award shows are going on because it’s often a large chunk of people complaining that ‘so and so’ got robbed simply because THEY thought someone deserved an award…never mind that there are also people who think the winners deserved the awards they got…but what do those people know? A Grammy is a nice display piece but Drake is right – when you have the support of your fans and have moments where people can sing your lyrics and choose to come to your concerts to let you entertain them, that’s the best way to ‘win’.

• Love 10

I expected MM to walk off but she chose to sit there and pout.  Awkward!  I would love to have been in the audience today.

So, she doesn't like to talk about sex and she doesn't like to talk about people's mothering choices, etc., etc.  None of it is important enough for her, it's a waste of time to talk about.  All she really likes to talk about is politics.  I've tried to like her from time to time, but she is so out of place on that show.  Even the past conservatives would dish about topics.  She needs to go somewhere else.

• Love 17
7 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

Why is J.Lo’s performance considered a controversy? Yes, there were definitely better singers who could fit the Motown vibe but isn’t music supposed to be transcendent of race, colour, creed, etc.? Why do we have to assume that someone who ‘sounds’ like Motown should be the person paying tribute to Motown? I don’t know what degree of influence Motown had on Jennifer as a fan of music so I’m not saying this in defense of her performing the tribute, I’m asking the question in response to people who think that something should be categorized as offensive or controversial simply because it doesn’t meet their subjective preferences. I don’t generally watch award shows or read Twitter when award shows are going on because it’s often a large chunk of people complaining that ‘so and so’ got robbed simply because THEY thought someone deserved an award…never mind that there are also people who think the winners deserved the awards they got…but what do those people know? A Grammy is a nice display piece but Drake is right – when you have the support of your fans and have moments where people can sing your lyrics and choose to come to your concerts to let you entertain them, that’s the best way to ‘win’.

I thought the performance started out OK.  However, as it went on, it became a very JLo performance with Motown songs vs a Motown tribute.  The skimpy costume, butt shaking and Salsa dancing is all JLo.   Didn't feel very Motown.  But for me it was a minor annoyance rather than a controversy.   I figured they were saving the star power performances for the Motown 60 taping.   

• Love 9

Someone should put together a little clip show of Sunny's face...faces.  She is either taking/practicing acting lessons or EVERYTHING is horrifying her lately.  That "I find that disgusting" face is on my screen more and more...and more.

• Love 9

I may be wrong, but I think the reason why Sunny is all 'what's wrong with Jennifer Lopez' is because they are both Puerto Rican, yes? I remember Lopez getting a LOT of Flack when she was cast as Selina (which pretty much put her on the map, music wise--I remember all my radio stations going around sayin' "It's the LATIN EXPLOSION!" in late '99 with her and Ricky Martin's Viva la Vida Loca and him singing at the opening ceremony of the World Cup), when the real Selina was Mexican.

I didn't watch the Grammys. Have not seen today's show, but I get why someone from Motown should be singing the tribute to Motown. And If I've got all of this wrong, just ignore me.

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I thought the performance started out OK.  However, as it went on, it became a very JLo performance with Motown songs vs a Motown tribute.  The skimpy costume, butt shaking and Salsa dancing is all JLo.

And some of the controversy was that she was the supposed "headliner" when there were many more appropriate performers to fill that bill.  Showbiz  involves politics, money, sex, power...and then talent.  I've been lulled into apathy.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I didn't watch the Grammys. Have not seen today's show, but I get why someone from Motown should be singing the tribute to Motown. And If I've got all of this wrong, just ignore me.

You don't have it wrong. At least where I'm concerned.    For me this would be like if Katy Perry did a tribute to country music.

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Is the “hissy fit” in this clip?

Perhaps it doesn't quite rise to "hissy fit" status for everyone, but it was a moment--a moment made wonderful by Joy...and Meghan got the message.

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, OnTime said:

It is there at 1:50.

Right after Meghan starts talking about "her friends" that were at the Klobuchar rally!

Omg it’s there. I swear it wasn’t there before. I watched it twice. 

Reasons why I can’t be a talk show moderator:  I would have threw myself across the table and beat the F out of MM, all whilst laying in my belly. I’d be so quick, she wouldn’t have time to react. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 12

This Oprah's VIEW YOUR DEAL segment gives me the creeps everytime it's on. The reactions are so fake. I think why Joy never does it because if she doesn't like something she'll say it straight up. Unlike Sunny who says "Oh, my gosh!! I LOVE it!" to EVERYTHING!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

I've read up and seen quite a bit of interviews with geneticists who say that while these technologies are nice, they are only best guesses based on a set of data available. The isolate unique identifiers and then compare it with the data in their system and they pinpoint origins based on your matches with others who are also from those reaches. They are a good estimate of continental origins, but the specificities of regions are apparently at best, a confidence of 50%. 

I've read a bit too, and as they do more tests and get more data, the results can change.  Recently CBC did a story on twins who did a couple tests and did not get identical results from any of them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/dna-ancestry-kits-twins-marketplace-1.4980976

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Omg it’s there. I swear it wasn’t there before. I watched it twice. 

Reasons why I can’t be a talk show moderator:  I would have threw myself across the table and beat the F out of MM, all whilst laying in my belly. I’d be so quick, she wouldn’t have time to react. 

I was wondering why you couldn't see it.  You were starting to worry me.🤣🤣 BTW, it's all over the news media now!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I thought the performance started out OK.  However, as it went on, it became a very JLo performance with Motown songs vs a Motown tribute.  The skimpy costume, butt shaking and Salsa dancing is all JLo.   Didn't feel very Motown.  But for me it was a minor annoyance rather than a controversy.   I figured they were saving the star power performances for the Motown 60 taping.   

Ohhh, I see. I didn't watch the performance and I didn't get that as being the issue when watching the segment. I got the impression that the controversy was that Lopez isn't a Motown style singer and therefore was unsuitable to be involved in the tribute. From how you explain it, I can certainly understand why that would be annoying if she was highlighting herself rather than the subject she was supposed to be paying homage to.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I may be wrong, but I think the reason why Sunny is all 'what's wrong with Jennifer Lopez' is because they are both Puerto Rican, yes? I remember Lopez getting a LOT of Flack when she was cast as Selina (which pretty much put her on the map, music wise--I remember all my radio stations going around sayin' "It's the LATIN EXPLOSION!" in late '99 with her and Ricky Martin's Viva la Vida Loca and him singing at the opening ceremony of the World Cup), when the real Selina was Mexican.

Meghan mentioned a couple of times that Sunny knows Jennifer and her mom....perhaps the Puerto Rican and New York connection has put them in the same social circle and knowing that it was considered a controversy, Sunny didn't want to actively criticize JLo but her awkwardness in discussing the topic suggested to me that she likely understood where the criticism was coming from.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 10
20 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

You don't have it wrong. At least where I'm concerned.    For me this would be like if Katy Perry did a tribute to country music.

Well Katy Perry did sing as part of the tribute to Dolly Parton...... But she wasn't the headliner of the tribute.

9 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

There was a hush, the audience laughed nervously, and a few seconds of silence while both Meghan and Joy sat at opposite ends of the table with crossed arms and not a smile in sight. And then Joy said, "Let's go to Senator Elizabeth Warren" and changed the topic.

Go, Joy! She treated her just like she would treat one of her students who was misbehaving. I loved it.

I thought Joy kept the hissy fit comment pretty light hearted all things considered.  There was a smile (or maybe it was a smirk) on her face when she said it.  Tone similar to when Whoopi does the annoying valley girl voice.  

• Love 13

Miss "I'M STILL TALKING!!!" can't handle it when Joy say's "let me just finish this" when interrupted mid-sentence.  I enjoyed the silent segment too.  My Producer Brian should create a compilation of MM interrupting others and make her watch it for 15 minutes before every show as an example of what not to do.

• Love 14

EW's DNA test did confirm her family lore of a gr-gr(-gr?) grandmother of Cherokee heritage (with a 10-gene string indicating a recent relative), though she never was part of the culture nor subject to discrimination because of it and should not have written it on her Law card.  She's probably as close to being Pocahontas as JLo is to being a memorable Motown singer.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, deirdra said:

EW's DNA test did confirm her family lore of a gr-gr(-gr?) grandmother of Cherokee heritage (with a 10-gene string indicating a recent relative), though she never was part of the culture nor subject to discrimination because of it and should not have written it on her Law card.  She's probably as close to being Pocahontas as JLo is to being a memorable Motown singer.

Elizabeth Warren didn't have the results of the DNA test in the 1970's when she wrote it.  And she never clamed to be related to Pocahontas - that's jut a racist nickname given to her by  45.  

As kids, we identify with whatever ethnic group we are told that we are a part of.  EW was told that being native American was part of her identity.  Lots of people have mixed backgrounds.  When I was growing up, if someone was 1/16 Black, and claimed to be white, they were lying.  Any percent non-white meant you could not claim to be white.  EW didn't lie, didn't claim to be a victim of discrimination, she wrote on a card the ethnicity that she had been told she was.  

It's ridiculous, in my mind, that this issue is being given so much weight. 

• Love 16

I think the Warren thing is being made into a bigger deal than it is. She’s apologized multiple times. 

We had the same thing happen to my family.  I was a part of the Title VI Indian education program in elementary school attended meetings, received attendance and grades awards. Dad gets his DNA tested a couple of years ago and he’s like 1% Native American.  He was really upset. While I always put down Caucasian, I still believed that was a part of my history. A lot of people in Oklahoma believe they have Native American in their blood.

Warren believed a story passed down in her family. It’s an honest mistake. When your family tells you you’re a specific ethnicity, you believe them. I can’t get mad at her for that. She wasn’t knowingly trying to deceive people. If she was she never would’ve done the dna test. 

• Love 19