Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Kody Wants Out

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Oh I'm glad you brought this up!  It struck me as really odd at the time, and I was wondering if any of you had any thoughts on this:   WHY did Kody help cut the ribbon???  I think it should have been Meri alone, or Meri and the mayor.  Kody didn't help get the place, he isn't part-owner - so.... why is he cutting the ribbon?

Open to interpretation, Meri may have taken Kody's desire to participate as an indication he was supportive of her venture and would be around to help out if needed.

After viewing the porch scene, I am convinced that the ribbon cutting ceremony for Kody was symbolic of him cutting the bond between them. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
9 hours ago, Sandy W said:

That scene was the most poignantly honest I have ever witnessed on this show.  It was raw and it was real.  The look on Meri's face when she was hit with the realization that they were past the point of no return and the defiant righteousness of Kody was almost too much to bear.  I think she should have left years ago, she has made herself and everyone around her miserable and I hope somehow, somewhere she finds happiness.  

So painful to watch that. The only thing Kody is proud of is the fact that he didn't have to fork over any money to Meri and she knows it. He can't sugar coat his feelings with "you just had to do this on your own to prove to yourself" BS.

I guarantee as soon as this show is done and over Meri will be living in Parowan full time. 

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

So painful to watch that. The only thing Kody is proud of is the fact that he didn't have to fork over any money to Meri and she knows it. He can't sugar coat his feelings with "you just had to do this on your own to prove to yourself" BS.

I guarantee as soon as this show is done and over Meri will be living in Parowan full time. 

She may make Parowan her home base, but I somehow don't see her settling into a spinster type existence with her mom in small town Parowan.  After LLR and the show implodes, she will probably latch onto another MLM scheme that requires another traveling pants show.

• Love 9

My thought on the episode is these women are all eating their feelings.

WRT Kody and Christine, what legal rights does Kody have regarding scoliosis surgery?  I don't know how plural marriage works but if I were Christine and thought surgery was the answer, I'd schedule it with or without Kody's consent.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

Like... if TLC said, "We need a stranger to come up and hug Meri/Kody and say how they love the show and we will pay you $40,087.33"

Well, that would buy a whole lot of hand sanitizer.  But you'd never get rid of Kootie's cooties.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

Did Aspyn actually get her degree, and if so, has she worked at all? 

Over in her thread there is an Instagram post where she mentions she will graduate May 2019. She says it took 6 years because she changed majors.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

How many people were at that sad little opening? Maybe 10 Browns, the mayor and a handful of locals? 

If will explode if I hear one more time about the grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother and great great great grandmother! I still think that B&B is creepy and ugly with that green carpet and pink wallpaper with the border from the 70's. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 20

I got the impression when Kody was telling Meri it was good that she learned how to do things on her own, without him, that he was trying to tell her they were over and she should get used to doing things "on her own" from now on.

• Love 20

I still can’t understand why, if Kody really has this compulsion to move back to Utah and also has all these friggin concerns about Mary managing from afar, he didn’t just exercise his “leadership” and move them all in or near Parawan. 

Cant wait to hear how they settled on Flagstaff. 

• Love 6

I've been rather pro Kody since the beginning of the show, but, after last night....OMG....he's really lost it. Enough is enough.  I did agree with him about there being no money for Meri's B&B, but, for the other stuff....Kody's just a jerk.  I really got angry over his anti-surgery speech.  I know it was discussed here last week, but, he really needs to grow up and take the lead in the family to provide his child with confidence, calm and pragmatism about the surgery.  He's the least mature in the bunch. 

In the scenes last night, I thought that Aspyn's fiance really resembled TONY!  Something about their face and body shape.  Even their personalities...so smart asp.  I don't care for it.  I would have trouble getting behind that choice. She seems so naive.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Could be that she doesn't feel comfortable around Bonnie, her former MIL and didn't want to risk former husband, Adam may show up. Such a tangled vine of a family!

I think Robyn may still have Mindy living at her house and I sure wouldn't expect Annie, Christine's mom to show up to celebrate Bonnie as the hostess.

I think it was last episode that I saw Janelle and Meri's mother interact.  I was hyper scrutinizing the moment, and it seemed natural and normal.  Whatever problems they may have had seem to have been resolved years ago.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Yes, they said not everyone is having dinner.  I know someone who did that, they had dinner just for the close family and friends and others invited came later just for drinks and finger food.

Gosh have you ever seen a Dugger wedding??? pretzels and melted rootbeer floats for 1000?

• LOL 11
  • Love 6

That B&B house looked large from the outside, but, when Meri was showing those bedrooms.....they sure did appear small and cramped.  The ceilings were so low.....like an attic room.  I can't imagine that appealing to guests, but, maybe, it looks better in person. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, albarino said:

WRT Kody and Christine, what legal rights does Kody have regarding scoliosis surgery?  I don't know how plural marriage works but if I were Christine and thought surgery was the answer, I'd schedule it with or without Kody's consent.

I'm not sure I can trust Christine's "fillings" about surgery either.  If I were Ysabel, I'd be looking into emancipation and seeking out surgery on my own.  

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, beeziebee said:

I'm not sure I can trust Christine's "fillings" about surgery either.  If I were Ysabel, I'd be looking into emancipation and seeking out surgery on my own.  

But Ysabel doesn't WANT surgery now.  She wants to please her dad, and last night she told her dad that she didn't want it.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Kyanight said:
6 minutes ago, beeziebee said:

But Ysabel doesn't WANT surgery now.  She wants to please her dad, and last night she told her dad that she didn't want it.

But Christine said that Ysabel did want the surgery because she hates how her back looks and it's affecting her self-esteem.  Even her siblings realize how the scoliosis affects Ysabel's self-esteem.  I think Ysabel just told Kodouche that she wanted the surgery because that's what he wanted to hear.  I can't help but think that he's anti-surgery for financial reasons.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
14 minutes ago, beeziebee said:

Yes, but, since she's a minor, I hope that there are eyes are on her welfare, despite the seeming ignorance of her parents. Christine did seem to be aware that they would LIKELY have to do the surgery.  She may have to take the lead in the medical treatment care decisions and override Kody and his bizarre behavior. Talk about needing an adult in the room.  His idea of putting your head in the sand making a serious health condition go away is preposterous.  Those around Isabel, including teachers, family, friends and viewers are free to contact CPS, if necessary.  They are not above a visit if they ignore their child's medical needs.  So, their behavior is confusing.  Take care of your kid people!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, AllyCat said:

I dunno, I respectfully disagree with this statement.  I provided all the alcohol at my own wedding, because it was important to me to provide that as a host, but most weddings I’ve been to have had a cash bar, and I didn’t think less of the couple because or have a worse time because of it.  At this point, I look at an open bar wedding as a nice surprise, rather than an expectation.  But I’ve also always felt that people shouldn’t go into debt over a wedding.  I chose a very reasonably priced venue in part so that I could budget more on the food & drinks for our guests.  

I agree that people should not go into debt over a wedding, but then like others said, invite less people or find some way (like you did) to defray costs elsewhere. I admit that I definitely judge others as hosts, and I would be bitching for days if I attended a wedding that turned out to have a cash bar! 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I agree that people should not go into debt over a wedding, but then like others said, invite less people or find some way (like you did) to defray costs elsewhere. I admit that I definitely judge others as hosts, and I would be bitching for days if I attended a wedding that turned out to have a cash bar! 

We didn't have a cash bar at my wedding (EONS ago!) but when I watch the show "Four Weddings" I have seen it fairly frequently I think.  

• Love 2
Just now, Kyanight said:

We didn't have a cash bar at my wedding (EONS ago!) but when I watch the show "Four Weddings" I have seen it fairly frequently I think.  

Oh yeah, it's an option many people choose - but they are being judged, believe me, even if they don't hear about it, lol! If you ever want to kill some time and be entertained, search online for wedding gaffes, mistakes, disasters, or just find a forum where people discuss weddings and read about all the ways in which the happy couple, their family and guests can screw up a wedding! 

All that being said, I do think allowances can be made depending on the community, traditions, and religious beliefs. I would imagine that cash bars or no alcohol at weddings are common among Mormons.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, but, since she's a minor, I hope that there are eyes are on her welfare, despite the seeming ignorance of her parents. Christine did seem to be aware that they would LIKELY have to do the surgery.  She may have to take the lead in the medical treatment care decisions and override Kody and his bizarre behavior. Talk about needing an adult in the room.  His idea of putting your head in the sand making a serious health condition go away is preposterous.  Those around Isabel, including teachers, family, friends and viewers are free to contact CPS, if necessary.  They are not above a visit if they ignore their child's medical needs.  So, their behavior is confusing.  Take care of your kid people!

To be fair, the licensed medical doctor they are seeing said he wouldn't consider surgery until her curve was at 50 degrees.  So they haven't disregarded their doctors medical opinion (yet).

• Love 3

I felt bad for Aspen when they were asking her if she wanted to have the wedding at that last location and it was so obvious she did but didn't want to come across sounding like a spoiled brat like Mylketi.  She just wanted to know the budget and didn't want to make a fuss and they kept putting her on the spot.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Spiderella2 said:

I think that Production is picking up some of the budget for the wedding. Or at least they are going to cover part of it. These venues were probably chosen by Production and they will cover some venue costs in order to be able to film all week at the venue.

This!  I feel like all the banter about wedding costs is just staged.  Do they really NOT have the money? Surely, TLC pays some or, at the very least, is paying them all enough per episode to be able to afford the wedding.  Seems like they always seem to get what they want anyway, regardless of the cost, so I feel like this is just a "discussion"for production and it's all a bunch of crap!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Well......   how much?  Like... if TLC said, "We need a stranger to come up and hug Meri/Kody and say how they love the show and we will pay you $40,087.33"..... I would do it.

Ditto! I'd hug the whole darn family if the price was right! 

• Love 1

Meri is one of the most insufferable, selfish human beings ever.  Maybe it's editing, maybe not, but she is the WORST.

And does she have ANY real eyebrows or does she paint them on EVERY day?  I remember Moriah giving her a hard time once because they were so thin.  It seems like they aren't so thin anymore, but they are definitely painted on.

I'm not so sure the porch scene wasn't staged a bit.  No doubt, there's tension between Meri and Kody but I'm not so sure it's as bad as TLC would have us think.  

Edited by Julia67
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, spacefly said:

Over in her thread there is an Instagram post where she mentions she will graduate May 2019. She says it took 6 years because she changed majors.

At least she is finishing. 6 years really isn't that long if she found out she didn't like what she was in and wanted different.

Mitch's beard is as bad as Kody's hair in my opinion.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

How many people were at that sad little opening? Maybe 10 Browns, the mayor and a handful of locals? 

If will explode if I hear one more time about the grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother and great great great grandmother! I still think that B&B is creepy and ugly with that green carpet and pink wallpaper with the border from the 70's. 

You could not pay me to stay in one of those creepy bedrooms with the granny afgans and the dead plyg relatives pics on the wall. The one in Sarah's room pictured one old man and 5 women. I guess those were his wives. Ugh. Maybe it will fly out there in Mormon  country but I can't see anyone else wanting to stay there  

cody's refusal to consider surgery could be viewed as child neglect. He's in denial about her needing it. I guess having lavish weddings is more important than his daughters health. Yea Cody, just don't go back to the dr and it will all go away. Luckily (I hope) Christine is strong enough and vocal enough to get the child what she needs, instead of forcing her to wear that painful brace and minimalizing her feeling bad about her body. That curve looked pretty bad to me and it's not going to fix itself.  

And he needs to stop whining about all the weddings he has to pay for. If you can't afford all those kids you shouldn't have had them.  And if u can't afford a $30,000 wedding or whatever - don't have it. She said she'd be happy with a small intimate wedding, but she has no say in that apparently. And btw her husband reminds me of fat Tony , though a little smarter. These girls are so desperate to get out from under the parents they marry the first man that comes along. How bout get a job and an apt and live on your own for awhile. It's sad that they see marriage as the only way out. I also think this "no sex before marriage" thing plays a huge part in their desperation to marry.  She is very beautiful and sweet and could do so much better. With his plyg background 100% he'll be looking for wife #2 in a few years and she'll be as miserable as her mothers. Sad. 

• Love 18

Ysabel's X-Ray showed one hell of a curvature. I was shocked seeing that. How does that not hurt? Poor kid. I don't understand how her parents see that and not want to do something for her asap. Waiting it out doesn't seem like a viable option to me after looking at that. Kody and Christine both need a swift kick in the ass!

• Love 13
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:56 AM, Kohola3 said:

He's a fundie waiting to happen.  I agree, polygamy is on his radar.

Mitch seems like an honest man to me. He said that he would not force Polygamy on his wife.  It sounds like it is possible if it is mutually agreed on but not unless. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Anlogle said:

Mitch seems like an honest man to me. He said that he would not force Polygamy on his wife.  It sounds like it is possible if it is mutually agreed on but not unless. 

At first I agreed with your post but then I thought about it.  I know Mitch means it now - but how will he feel in 5 years?  8 years?  When someone believes they MUST do something to please God, whatever the wife wants or whatever was said or promised many years ago takes a back seat.

1 minute ago, Lady of nod said:

Cody you are so full of it with this Utah threw me out bs. There are thousand of plyg family there and I haven't heard about any being arrested or thrown out in many years. 

Probably because they didn't go on TV and flaunt it.  He was breaking the law and by going on Reality TV he was throwing it in Utah's proverbial face.  They can look the other way if no one is making waves, but why have laws if you aren't going to enforce them?  He was practically forcing them to take action.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I’m watching this now and I am sure I did see Jenelle at the opening. Right after the mayor yakked about how happy the town was, they panned over the attendees and I am sure I saw Jenelle in the group there. 

I'm just curiuos. How did you watch last nights episode last week.  I didn't think episodes were available for viewing anywhere else until they aired on their scheduled date on TLC.

4 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

edAt first I agreed with your post but then I thought about it.  I know Mitch means it now - but how will he feel in 5 years?  8 years?  When someone believes they MUST do something to please God, whatever the wife wants or whatever was said or promised many years ago takes a back seat.

Probably because they didn't go on TV and flaunt it.  He was breaking the law and by going on Reality TV he was throwing it in Utah's proverbial face.  They can look the other way if no one is making waves, but why have laws if you aren't going to enforce them?  He was practically forcing them to take action.

I think if Mitch has strong religious inclinations that he had to practice polygamy he would know that now and would not marry someone who didn't want it . I think that is something they would have discussed in the process of deciding to marry.  I don't think it will be an issue. 

Just now, Kohola3 said:

Depending on what cable system you're on, it was available On Demand.

Oh. I have on demand but didn't think it got put on there until after it aired on its schedule date and time. I will have to check that out.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I know Mitch means it now - but how will he feel in 5 years?  8 years?  When someone believes they MUST do something to please God, whatever the wife wants or whatever was said or promised many years ago takes a back seat.

And throw in peer and family pressure if he's the only one not practicing polygamy.  These are patriarchal societies - can't you just hear the males all giving him a hard time about not being able to "control his woman"?  Then throw in the whole planet thing and he'll cave. 

If he means never to take another wife, then say so. Don't waffle around with "I won't make her".  Because when the chips are down and the honeymoon is over, he'll be on the hunt whether she likes it or not.   It's the polygamy way.

• Love 13
25 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Ysabel's X-Ray showed one hell of a curvature. I was shocked seeing that. How does that not hurt? Poor kid. I don't understand how her parents see that and not want to do something for her asap. Waiting it out doesn't seem like a viable option to me after looking at that. Kody and Christine both need a swift kick in the ass!

As someone who had surgery for scoliosis, I bet it does hurt!  Mine did.    I was screaming at my TV.  Kody is pissed be can't control this.    Ugh!!!!!!   Be a PARENT.  It's their job to do what is best for Ysabel.  And don't get me started on making HER feel bad about not doing enough to correct it.  She needs her parents to support her and be the adults.  Sorry, I'm very annoyed,  if you can't tell. 

• Love 21
41 minutes ago, B in Lee said:

Tony too? 😊

Haha! Yes Tony too. Being a germaphobe, I hold my breath when I hug people anyway, so I wouldn't be too concerned about germs or smells or anything like that. Not saying that Tony is germy or smelly, or that any of them are, for that matter, just saying I would deal with whatever. 

This thread has taken a weird turn!  😄 😄 😄

14 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

If I were Christine, I would continue to make appointments for my child, and I would not tell Kody about them,

I would make the appointments and Kody could know about them for all I would care.  

• Love 11
2 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

To be fair, the licensed medical doctor they are seeing said he wouldn't consider surgery until her curve was at 50 degrees.  So they haven't disregarded their doctors medical opinion (yet).

True, but, I just got the impression that no matter what, Kody is not on board for surgery. Plus, he's poisoning the child's mind against it, like it's just too horrible to consider.  I find it terribly disturbing. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Anlogle said:

I think if Mitch has strong religious inclinations that he had to practice polygamy he would know that now and would not marry someone who didn't want it . I think that is something they would have discussed in the process of deciding to marry.  I don't think it will be an issue. 

Oh. I have on demand but didn't think it got put on there until after it aired on its schedule date and time. I will have to check that out.

it was released early because of no showing during super bowl.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, laurakaye said:
  Reveal spoiler

Previously on Sister Wives.....

Meri cries and repeats the phrase "on my own" 14 times and then calls everyone else "stupid."  

Nothing new here - moving on to Episode 3: "Kody Wants Out (of his four balloon McMansion Mortgages)"

Meri closed on the Parowan B&B!  Does this mean we won't have to hear the word "Parowan" every fifteen seconds while Meri does her patented eye roll/shrug whilst shedding copious orange-tinted tears?  One can only hope!  Kody tells us that the B&B is beautiful, but acquiring it caused lots of dramz and that Meri has been aloof for the past couple of years while she worked the fam'ly into giving her half a mil to pay for it.  Kody segues this B&B discussion into how he hasn't been happy since he uprooted his kids from Lehi, gave them 72 hours to pack and say goodbye to their friends, and rushed them all to Vegas under the threat of persecution and amidst the (fake) wail of police sirens and now wants to do it all over again and move back to Utah.  To him, Vegas was never "home," it was "exile."  Or more likely - "ratings."

Meanwhile, another Brownie has a boyfriend - this time it's she of the Pantene hair and freakishly perfect skin, Aspyn.  She's crushed on Mitch since she was 14, and he finally noticed her at the march for plyg rights in Utah.  Mitch decides to move to Vegas to be close to Aspyn.  He's got a trailer full of guy crap - the stuff he doesn't need, like a broken unicycle, will be stored at Christine's house, while he moves his other stuff into Maddie and Caleb's house.  Aspyn giggles that Mitch is moving to be closer to her, and Christine says that this is a very big dill.  Christine also apparently asked Mitch if he ever rides his unicycle while going commando under his kilt...which is a sentence I didn't think I would ever type in my entire life, but there you go.  Also, gross.  Christine tells us that Mitch already asked Kody for Aspyn's hand in marriage, so there will be yet another weddingk in the future.  The Brown adults couch together and discuss how polygamy worked in their families...both Meri and Kody state that their respective mothers were the ones who decided that they wanted to adopt the faith and plural marriage, and sent their husbands to go out and bring home another wife.  Kind of like when I send my husband to the grocery store for a gallon of milk, but different.  Robyn, expert on all things polygamy, yammers about how it's not really the husband's prerogative to say to his wife, "hey, I'm going out girl hunting, be back in time for dinner."  Rather it's the wife who - knowing full well that her husband wants another wife - gives "permission" to let him go out and do what he was going to do anyway.  Kody calls this a "paradox of contradictions."  I call it misery and bullshit.  Aspyn and Mitch then take to the couch.  Mitch word scrambles on how he's not opposed to having more than one wife,  although he wouldn't do it if Aspyn wasn't on board, but he's not NOT going to purposefully look for another wife.  Meanwhile, Aspyn's face tells another story entirely, as she tries on a tentative smile or two, casts her eyes from her beloved to the camera and back again several times, and at times appears stunned and uncertain with a bit of "WTF" thrown in.  Congrats, Aspyn!  You landed a guy just like your dad!

On we go to Ysabel and her struggle with scoliosis.  Ysabel, Kody and Christine are preparing for a 6-month check with Dr. Camp.  Kody states that this will be their last visit to Dr. Camp because this crazy quack keeps suggesting that Ysabel might need surgery if her curve continues to get worse.  Christine and Gwen attempt to explain to Kody that Ysabel is struggling with her self-confidence, which Kody dismisses because her curve is not (currently) life-threatening, and that surgery is simply not needed.  Kody lets us know that surgery would result in a scar and a titanium rod, and that these things mess with Kody, to which I roll my eyes so hard I can hear it.  Ysabel sits down with Kody and tells him that she's doing her exercises 80% of the time, and in response he silently stares back at her as if to suggest that the missing 20% is why she's not miraculously curing herself.  Ysabel tells us that she gets frequent headaches, which is why she can't complete her exercises every single day like her dad clearly wants her to do.  At the doctor's office, Dr. Camp tells the Browns that Ysabel's curve is still at 42%, and while surgery wouldn't be done until the curve reaches 50%, the fact that she hasn't gotten worse doesn't mean that she still might not need surgery in the future.  Not if Dr. Kody has anything to say about it.  Nice knowing you, Dr. Camp. 

Fam'ly gathering time!  Kody takes the floor and demands all eyes on him and Princess Arabelliola, who is actually quite the cutie.  Ysabel gets to tell everyone that her curve has remained the same.  Then Aspyn takes the floor and announces that she and Mitch are engaged.  Before I can blink, Aurora zooms in for a big from-behind hug with Mitch (shocker).  The calendar behind Aspyn's head reads "January" and she tells the gathering that she wants to be married in June.  I frown and ask myself, "June?  As in June of the same year?  Can she even get a venue in that short amount of time?"  But it's not my circus, so I listen as Aspyn tells the detailed story of how Mitch proposed in Seattle and got down on one knee, etc.  As much as I like Aspyn, she's not the first engaged Brownie (Maddie) and her betrothed is not the most repulsive (FT) so I kind of zoned out during this part and finished off my cheap merlot in preparation for Hour 2.

The Brown adults couch once again to discuss the venues that they will all collectively (of course) be visiting with Aspyn and Mitch.  While Christine is talking, Janelle openly yawns - which I found much more in line with the Janelle we've all come to know.  

First stop is The Villa.  A wise owl watches as a large convoy of SUVs pull into the parking lot and wonders why there needs to be 14 vehicles transporting nine adults.  As they all tumble out, we meet Mitch's mom Hannah.  Kody admires her purse (hee) and the two of them engage in a weird, unsettling flirtation based around how they both plan to dance like idiots at the reception and generally embarrass everyone in attendance.  Because this day isn't really about Aspyn and Mitch!  It's about Kody and his all-consuming need for attention, and now he has a brand-new captive audience in Hannah!  The Brown wives giggle and talk about how Kody likes to tease, but he doesn't tease one wife in front of the others because reasons.  The Villa is nice, and Mitch finds it suitable to seat all 400 of his first cousins.  Aspyn relates that she wouldn't mind having a wedding with just the two of them, but Mitch wants his entire ginormous family to be there - to which Aspyn replies, "it is what it is."  Oh, Aspyn.  I think you can do soooo much better than this guy.

Next venue stop is Silver Fork Lodge.  Janelle, apparently back on Christine's expired meds, blathers on about how wonderful this place is with the trees and the pines and the stars and the moon and the unicorns.  I get so jarred when she does this.  It's like watching a marshmallow grow a mouth and start spouting Shakespeare.  Robyn gives a hearty "nope!" to this place, and Meri simpers about how she rilly can't say anything because it's not her daughter getting married.  Kody and Hannah continue to make googly-eyes across the venue table, and we are treated to a montage of Kody and his s****** dance moves.  I guess the guy has a good time, but this venue also gets a no from Kody because he is concerned that he won't be able to properly execute the "Shimmy Caveman Hair Toss" in this elevation without passing out.  On we go!

Venue 3 looks like a castle and everyone falls in love with it at first site.  The price tag of $15,000 gives Kody pause.  Christine talks about how, in plyg culture, the details of the wedding such as food and decorations are usually handled by the vast assortment of fam'ly members.  I'm pretty sure that the Brown family did not assemble 4,000 street tacos, but I do recall the women having to sew eleven thousand pieces of cloth into Mykelti's wedding bouquets, so Christine isn't completely wrong.  Aspyn, maturely, says that she doesn't want the venue if it's going to mean a financial hardship to her parents (*coughMYKELTIcough*).  All four of Aspyn's moms assure her that if this is what she wants, this is what she will get as Kody stares off into the distance, wondering if he's going to have to hand over his hair plug allowance to cover this place.  I'm guessing that Meri has already closed on her B&B during the filming of this segment because she reaches across the table and assures Aspyn that money is no object - of course this is true, now that Meri has what she wants.  Kody figures that if he can charge the wedding guests $250 for a gin and tonic, he might actually be able to swing this place.

I knew this 14-hour episode was too good to be true, with nary a mention of Parowan, but ha!  Time to go to Parowan, y'all!  It's Grand Opening Day!  In a couch segment that made me laugh out loud, Meri has suddenly vanished under the pretense that she's already in Parowan getting ready for the B&B opening, and yet the rest of the Brown Clowns are dressed in the exact same clothes as when Meri was sitting there.  Clever editing, that.  As the adults plus Kody's mom get ready for the drive to Parowan, Kody stares forlornly into a dresser drawer, stunned into immobility because he cannot locate his favorite belt and shoes.  This, of course, segues into a discussion of the wackadoodle life of a plyg husband.  For reasons that I don't want to examine too closely, all of Kody's underwear is at Christine's house, his socks are at Janelle's, his balls are at Robyn's and his dignity is at Meri's.  Kody continues to will the drawer to produce his belt through osmosis, but finally Christine tells him to get a move on.  Kody practically picks up his mother and shoves her into the van and off they go to Parowan!  We get to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-live the B&B drama through the use of flashbacks...and you can tell it's a flashback because Meri's fake bake is much more subdued than in present-day footage.  I start to doze as we go back in time to when Meri wasn't particularly interested in anything that didn't have to do with her desire to own that B&B at any and all costs.  Kody says that the stress of the B&B caused a lot of drama and tension between Kody and Meri.  Yeah, that's all because of the B&B, Doofus.  

Sadly, readers, it is at this point that I decide to get ready for bed and my DVR fails to do what I asked it to do.  Having read through this thread, I see that what I missed is Meri's jubilant Grand Opening, followed by Meri and Kody sitting together on the porch, wordlessly watching their relationship literally fade into the sunset.  If this isn't the hard thump on the head that Meri needs to leave, then I'm convinced she's going to be there for the long haul. One never knows - the saying "everything old is new again" could someday apply to ol' Mere...once Kody grows tired of his skinny know-it-all wife, maybe he'll cycle back to the original?  After all, isn't that what plural marriage is all about?   

OMG hilarious! 😄 😄

I wish you saw the porch scene, I'm sure your take on it would've been great! I really did feel for Meri though. I just kept thinking "come on Kody, hug her! At least put your arm around her!"

Great recap!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Lady of nod said:

And he needs to stop whining about all the weddings he has to pay for. If you can't afford all those kids you shouldn't have had them.  And if u can't afford a $30,000 wedding or whatever - don't have it. She said she'd be happy with a small intimate wedding, but she has no say in that apparently. And btw her husband reminds me of fat Tony , though a little smarter. These girls are so desperate to get out from under the parents they marry the first man that comes along. How bout get a job and an apt and live on your own for awhile. It's sad that they see marriage as the only way out. I also think this "no sex before marriage" thing plays a huge part in their desperation to marry.  She is very beautiful and sweet and could do so much better. With his plyg background 100% he'll be looking for wife #2 in a few years and she'll be as miserable as her mother

I think she even actually said she was perfectly happy (in fact preferred) just her and Mitch and the officiant.  As for getting married early because of sex, my Mormon friend told me that is exactly how things work.  

• Love 4

Kody does not "have" to pay for the weddings of his daughters.  It's 2019, not 1919.  The bride's family is not required to pay for the wedding.  The couple can pay for it themselves, ask both sets of parents to chip in, get married at city hall if they want - but it is not the bride's father's job to pay for the wedding.  What the heck is he going to do when one of his sons gets married and the bride's family refuses to pay for the whole shebang? (And with 11 daughters, Kody should have realized this back before wedding number 1.)

And while I do know of a few people who got married at city hall with just immediate family present, none of them at the age of 50 miss the big wedding they could have had.  However, I do know some people who had the big wedding who now think it was a waste of money.

Not a big fan of Mitch, to be honest.  I don't think he and Aspyn will be happy in the long term.  I really wonder what extenuating circumstances he was think of when he said he might possibly one day consider polygamy.

Did Kody really tell Ysabel that doing the exercises only 80% of the time is getting a D?  Is 80% really a D in Utah? Because it sure as heck ain't in Ontario. Here it's an A-.

I do not understand Kody and Meri's reluctance to "officially" split up, whatever that may look at. I understand they believe in a whole "planet-in-the-afterlife" thing, but if you don't enjoy spending time together in this world, why would you want to be stuck together for infinity in the afterlife? Wouldn't Meri still get to be on her father's planet?

I always thought Kody loved Las Vegas.  But I'm not going to watch old episodes to see if I'm right.  I've been punished enough by watching it all once.

• Love 20