Type keyword(s) to search

Emergence in the Media: Emergence, See?

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

This is a tv pilot at NBC, with Allison Tolman attached to star as the sheriff.

In Emergence, a thriller from Kevin (Probably) Saves the World creators Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters, a sheriff takes in a child she discovers at the site of a mysterious accident. The child has no memory of the accident, but plays a pivotal role in the investigation, which draws the sheriff “into a conspiracy larger than she ever imagined.” Director Paul McGuigan (Sherlock, Luke Cage) is onboard to helm the pilot.

On 2/9/2019 at 7:56 AM, garnetarden said:

This is a tv pilot at NBC, with Allison Tolman attached to star as the sheriff.

"a conspiracy larger than she ever imagined"

Well, we've never seen that before.   This wasn't on my must-watch list before, and is even less so now.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:51 PM, Kromm said:

This doesn't look bad, but it's got "1 season' written all over it. 

Exactly what I was thinking.  Frankly, I'm not willing to invest any of my time in this. 

12 hours ago, justmehere said:

Interview with show creators talking about what Piper is and the intentions for the show:

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/09/emergence-creators-on-casting-terry-oquinn-and-the-big-reveal-about-piper/

I wondered about big reveals so early, but they say they pitched a 3-year plan. 

I love that they have a plan. It improves the writing when the team maps things out and aren't just flying by the seat of their pants. Hopefully it means that if they get renewed, the second season won't be a mess, as happens with a lot of shows because the writers weren't really thinking that far ahead.

I also like that they say the family dynamic is as important as the background mystery, and that revealing things actually facilitates telling the stories rather than just stringing along the audience.

• Love 3
On 10/10/2019 at 1:14 AM, possibilities said:

I love that they have a plan. It improves the writing when the team maps things out and aren't just flying by the seat of their pants. Hopefully it means that if they get renewed, the second season won't be a mess, as happens with a lot of shows because the writers weren't really thinking that far ahead.

The showrunners always say they have a plan.

• Love 2

Hmm, I actually think Jo and Alex have good chemistry. 

https://tvline.com/2019/10/18/fall-tv-2019-new-shows-improvements-prodigal-son-batwoman/ 

EMERGENCE (ABC)

WHAT WORKS: Allison Tolman nicely anchors the drama and all of its sci-fi absurdity, bringing a watchable mix of skepticism, humor and determination to Jo. Of the ensemble cast, Owain Yeoman is most compelling as enigmatic journalist Benny. And, to the show’s credit, we are getting some answers faster than we are accustomed to with shows like this.

WHAT NEEDS WORK: Even though its central mystery is unfolding briskly, none of Emergence‘s reveals thus far have gotten our jaws dropping, and it’s difficult to stay invested in a story we feel like we’ve seen before. Meanwhile, the lack of chemistry between Tolman’s Jo and Donald Faison’s Alex is problematic. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Has anyone else seen that this is canceled? I saw stuff on another site earlier today but I don’t have a link. 

As recently as October 31, the LA Times TV critic praised Emergence: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2019-10-31/why-broadcast-network-television-matters

I very much like ABC’s sci-fi conspiracy thriller “Emergence,” with Allison Tolman as a Long Island police chief fostering a girl with uncanny powers, which makes me nervous and keeps me watching; 

Edited by shapeshifter

I don't know what to think of a website titled "Cancelled SciFi," but according to reporter johnnyjay, Emergence has "Bubble status."

At this point, I am moving the show to Bubble status, but with some optimism for its future. It is performing below the network’s average, but ABC currently has the lowest ratings among the Big Four and that may convince the network execs to ease off from cancelling shows just yet. I would expect that the show will receive an order for more episodes to finish out the season, but likely not the typical Back 9. Look for it to get somewhere between four and six, but additional episodes are not necessarily a vote of confidence. Almost certainly the network will look at those as schedule spackle to pad the rest of the season, especially if they do not have much waiting in the wings to take the show’s place.

As for a second season renewal, I have my doubts and that is why I am moving it to Bubble status. ABC may keep the show going through the rest of the season because it is cheaper than trying to ramp up something new. But despite the delayed viewing gains, I don’t see enough buzz from this one to keep it going for a second year. If the ratings were to improve, possibly just a little bit, that could change. But at this point the numbers are too soft.

Fans of the show should definitely make a Call to Action on the social networks to help this one out. If they could bring more attention to the show, perhaps that could boost the numbers enough to keep it viable. And streaming parties would be a good idea as well. Episodes are available next day on Hulu and ABC’s website and those views are not filtered by Nielsen. Timeless fans managed to keep that show going into a second season in part by bolstering its digital viewing. So Emergence still has a chance, but it definitely needs a boost from its fans at this point.

I’m confused did ABC cancel Emergence ? Sure hope not it is one of my best new favorite shows and I am enjoying it! Somebody said a popular website was listing it as being  cancelled but I would think with the whole ABC Disney connection would be beneficial to ABC at least giving Emergence a renewal for another season !  

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, CountryCrazy said:

I’m confused did ABC cancel Emergence ? Sure hope not it is one of my best new favorite shows and I am enjoying it! Somebody said a popular website was listing it as being  cancelled but I would think with the whole ABC Disney connection would be beneficial to ABC at least giving Emergence a renewal for another season !  

I haven't seen any official cancellation, but lots of sites are predicting it won't get a season 2.

TV By The Numbers is usually pretty reliable/accurate and they have it as "likely to be cancelled." I think if the show was officially cancelled it would have been reported there.

People watching seem to like it, but there unfortunately aren't a ton of people watching. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KaveDweller said:

I haven't seen any official cancellation, but lots of sites are predicting it won't get a season 2.

TV By The Numbers is usually pretty reliable/accurate and they have it as "likely to be cancelled." I think if the show was officially cancelled it would have been reported there.

People watching seem to like it, but there unfortunately aren't a ton of people watching. 

It does very well on the live day ratings but not sure how much impact that makes though but agree too bad more people aren’t watching as it is very good show !! 

On 11/13/2019 at 7:10 PM, CountryCrazy said:

It does very well on the live day ratings but not sure how much impact that makes though but agree too bad more people aren’t watching as it is very good show !! 

Actually the show does not do very well at all in the Live ratings. It is pretty much ABC's lowest rated show.

ABC just announced their midseason premiere dates and there is a new show taking over Tuesdays at 10 'after Emergence finishes its 13 episode freshman run'.  That is a VERY ominous sign from the network. If it was doing well enough, they would have likely given it more episodes this year, known in the tv world as a 'back order'. I'd consider a second season very unlikely.

Edited by TheRabbi
18 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

If it was doing well enough, they would have likely given it more episodes this year, known in the tv world as a 'back order'. I'd consider a second season very unlikely.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that is was intended to only be 13 eps and more shows are going that route nowadays anyway so I don't think that in itself means anything.

But it does seem like the show will get cancelled since it apparently is doing badly in the ratings and it doesn't appear that anyone at ABC really likes it/is championing for it.

I'll hold onto hope though because this is my fave new show and I really wanna see it renewed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Paloma said:

I don't see an episode thread yet for episode 10, so don't forget to watch it tonight (Tuesday January 7).

There’s a thread here now: https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/105426-s01e10-15-years/

If you view the forums as “streams,” lately new threads in followed forums do not show up in the stream; you have to follow the new threads separately. 🤔

Edited by shapeshifter
Typo
  • Love 1
On 2/15/2020 at 4:09 AM, djsurrey said:

So why don;t they make an announcement? I'd think the cast could make other commitments if there is no announcement.

ABC is probably waiting until the spring when they can measure it against its other shows, that have not ended for the season. ABC tends to make last minute decisions with toss up shows. 

I don't think the networks particularly care about whether the cast can make other plans.

• Love 1

When shows had their season finales in May, we would know right away at the UpFronts, but nowadays, shows start and end at odd times during the year, so there's a lot of waiting around to find out the fate of shows.

I don't like the suspense, but I'm feeling it with a lot of shows, and I don't remember it being that way so much in the past.

• Love 2
On 2/18/2020 at 7:34 PM, KaveDweller said:

ABC is probably waiting until the spring when they can measure it against its other shows, that have not ended for the season. ABC tends to make last minute decisions with toss up shows. 

I don't think the networks particularly care about whether the cast can make other plans.

On 2/19/2020 at 2:55 AM, possibilities said:

When shows had their season finales in May, we would know right away at the UpFronts, but nowadays, shows start and end at odd times during the year, so there's a lot of waiting around to find out the fate of shows.

I don't like the suspense, but I'm feeling it with a lot of shows, and I don't remember it being that way so much in the past.

I can't imagine how this is going to happen now. Other shows have indeed been showing new episodes, but most network shows hadn't filmed the rest of their seasons before the shelter-in-place orders emerged. 

• Love 1

I had long since forgotten about checking for updates. Then a story about other cancellations got me wondering today.

I liked many of the characters and their interactions. As SF I thought it was very badly flawed. Stopped caring or even thinking about it months ago.

Also have cancelled cable. Now it has to be on Netflix, Disney plus or youtube or some free streaming service for me to watch. I figure Broadcast TV is slowly dying.

On 6/5/2020 at 12:43 AM, endure said:
On 5/21/2020 at 4:45 PM, giovannif7 said:

Too bad I did like some of the actors in this series 😕

I'm not surprised.  I couldn't get past the pilot.  The female sheriff just seemed...….miscast.  She just looked too mom-ish.  Not that I want a waifish supermodel with ninja skills, but she just didn't pull off the part for me

2 hours ago, ctlady said:

She just looked too mom-ish.  Not that I want a waifish supermodel with ninja skills, but she just didn't pull off the part for me

She looked exactly like a lot of the female police officers I work with (as a non-sworn employee): just...normal. I liked her a lot.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, sharifa70 said:

She looked exactly like a lot of the female police officers I work with (as a non-sworn employee): just...normal. I liked her a lot.

I completely agree, and she’s a good actress for that role, I’ve seen her in another show and liked her there too, maybe Fargo.

• Love 3