Type keyword(s) to search

Tour-Related Questions

GaT

Will there be any alternate way to just view all the shows alphabetically?  Sometimes I'm not sure what genre a show falls into and will have to spend a lot of time finding it.  Also I think the "other" section should be at the top like it was before.  People not that familiar to the site might not realize they should look all the way down the bottom of the list to find their special show.

• Love 8

A question about something I hadn't seen brought up in the tour (would have been in part 6 if it were): the expanded Reactions list.  To wit: we are keeping those, right?

For those that missed it, there's currently more than just Likes.  There are four additional options if you mouse over the heart icon in the bottom right of everyone else's posts.  These additional reactions (as they are all called in a notification) are for different moods instead of just a general thumbs-up.

The pink "Like" heart is still the default, but there's now also

• the yellow "Useful" light bulb   💡
  • the orange "Laugh" laughing emoji   😄
  • the green "Surprise" surprised emoji   😮
  • and the blue "Sad" crying emoji   😢

You can only choose one reaction per post, but each of the 5 have their own natural implications.   And each type of reaction is counted separately on posts.  For example, as I write this, there are 2 Likes and 5 Usefuls on the Tour Step 1 post.  And clicking on those allows you to see who reacted in which way.  (There's similar sorting and counting functionality on your own posts, just without the ability to react to them yourself.)

• Useful 6
  • Love 2

I just wanted to thank you all for the work you put into the upgrade and redesign.  It looks great and I am so grateful for the various reaction choices.  I've wanted that option for so long!  Thank you!

PS: What is the difference between a topic and a forum?  I think I know, but I was wondering.

• Love 3

I may be blind but at Step 2 I didn't see an instruction on how to change the width so that the conversation goes across the width of the page which is the one thing I'd like to change. Right now the comments are on the left and only about half a page wide while an index or something is on the right.

• Love 4

Hey,

Using an IPad in landscape mode, is there any way to get the posted text spread across the screen, rather than in a narrow column with half the screen just a blank space?

in the tour it says the ads can be on the side or in between the posts as per the old style. Can this be selected or is it just dependent upon how the screen is orientated?

many thanks.

• Love 2

Question: Any way the side/instream ad display could be a user-selectable parameter, rather than simply automatic? When I flip my tablet display to widescreen the forum posts actually get harder to read, because the content is all squished over into the left 2/3 of the screen display to allow for the ad sidebar.

• Love 3

Two question about tour step 6. It says:

Topics labels (Episode, No Spoilers, etc) click through to a filtered view of that forum (i.e. Go to B99 click on "Episode" label and see only topics inside B99 labelled "Episode")

First of all, is episode label something new that hasn't been implemented yet? Because I don't see it anywhere.

Second, going into a forum and clicking on a tag just gets me back to the same page where I started. Tried it with the spoilers tag in the Game of Thrones forum.

Clicking on a tag in a stream seems to work, but gives all topics with that tag in all forums. Tested with spoilers tag in the unread content stream.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

In step 2 of the tour, Dave mentions changing the browser width but doesn't say how to do that.  (And I need to change it because I hate ads on the side.)

5 hours ago, gingerella said:

Hi, in the tutorial there are two ways to view ads, I would like to view them the old way but you don’t include directinos know to do that. How do we do that? It’s not obvious, thanks!

Ad placement is dictated by screen width, it is not customisable by users. If you prefer seeing ads inside topics vs at the side you can manually reduce your browser width until the ad placement switches.

2 hours ago, shok said:

I may be blind but at Step 2 I didn't see an instruction on how to change the width so that the conversation goes across the width of the page which is the one thing I'd like to change. Right now the comments are on the left and only about half a page wide while an index or something is on the right.

Switch off your ad blocker and you'll see why that is.

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Hey,

Using an IPad in landscape mode, is there any way to get the posted text spread across the screen, rather than in a narrow column with half the screen just a blank space?

in the tour it says the ads can be on the side or in between the posts as per the old style. Can this be selected or is it just dependent upon how the screen is orientated?

many thanks.

Switch off your ad blocker and you'll see it isn't a blank space...

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Question: Any way the side/instream ad display could be a user-selectable parameter, rather than simply automatic? When I flip my tablet display to widescreen the forum posts actually get harder to read, because the content is all squished over into the left 2/3 of the screen display to allow for the ad sidebar.

Ad placement is dictated by screen width, it is not customisable by users.

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Will there be any alternate way to just view all the shows alphabetically?  Sometimes I'm not sure what genre a show falls into and will have to spend a lot of time finding it.  Also I think the "other" section should be at the top like it was before.  People not that familiar to the site might not realize they should look all the way down the bottom of the list to find their special show.

Yes, you can use the TV Show Index. Using the show search function is another option, above the TV Shows board on the homepage, if you want to find a show quickly.

1 hour ago, Marisagf said:

I just wanted to thank you all for the work you put into the upgrade and redesign.  It looks great and I am so grateful for the various reaction choices.  I've wanted that option for so long!  Thank you!

PS: What is the difference between a topic and a forum?  I think I know, but I was wondering.

Thanks 🙂

A forum contains topics (or threads), a topic is a single thread. Example: this topic we're posting in (Tour-Related Questions) is a single topic which lives within the Bugs, Questions & Suggestions forum.

14 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

Two question about tour step 6. It says:

1. First of all, is episode label something new that hasn't been implemented yet? Because I don't see it anywhere.

2. Second, going into a forum and clicking on a tag just gets me back to the same page where I started. Tried it with the spoilers tag in the Game of Thrones forum.

3. Clicking on a tag in a stream seems to work, but gives all topics with that tag in all forums. Tested with spoilers tag in the unread content stream.

1. Yes, it's new.

2. Teething problems are expected, I'll get it looked at.

3. Yep, that's how it's supposed to behave in #2 also.

Regarding theme choices:

I prefer the dark theme because it is easier on my eyes, but, on smaller devices, the dark theme's blue link color is hard to read because the contrast isn't high enough, especially when the link is not bold.

Did the old dark theme have a lighter link color?

And it's kind of hard to see the Like icons in the dark theme until you tap/click on them.

Thanks for the heroic efforts.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

On the PTV homepage, will there be any alternate way to view all the shows alphabetically and not by genre?  Sometimes I'm not sure what genre a show falls into and will have to spend a lot of time finding it.  Also I think the button for the "other shows" section should be at the top of each list like it was before.  People not that familiar with the site might not realize they should look all the way down the bottom of the list to find their special show.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Regarding theme choices:

I prefer the dark theme because it is easier on my eyes, but, on smaller devices, the dark theme's blue link color is hard to read because the contrast isn't high enough, especially when the link is not bold.

Did the old dark theme have a lighter link color?

And it's kind of hard to see the Like icons in the dark theme until you tap/click on them.

Thanks for the heroic efforts.

Hmm, maybe? I can ask.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Not a question, but a round of applause for all your hard work.  Everything looks fantastic.  Thank you for reviving the personalized home page.

Thanks 🙂

38 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Maybe I missed it, but on mobile, where is the “home” tab that will take me to the site’s main page? Right now I have to use my backspace key to get to it. Thanks.

Tap the PreviouslyTV header that sits below the search etc icons.

18 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

On the PTV homepage, will there be any alternate way to view all the shows alphabetically and not by genre?  Sometimes I'm not sure what genre a show falls into and will have to spend a lot of time finding it.  Also I think the button for the "other shows" section should be at the top of each list like it was before.  People not that familiar with the site might not realize they should look all the way down the bottom of the list to find their special show.

See answer here.

• Love 1

Hello!  Not sure if I am in the right place to ask this, but before the upgrade I followed the Friends topic.  When I went to the main show list during the tour it isn’t there and it’s not in my custom homepage.  Was that just a missed show?  Also I didn't see The O.C. either.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Hello!  Not sure if I am in the right place to ask this, but before the upgrade I followed the Friends topic.  When I went to the main show list during the tour it isn’t there and it’s not in my custom homepage.  Was that just a missed show?  Also I didn't see The O.C. either.

There was an indexing error that's now been fixed so both should now appear on your custom homepage.

• Love 1

On the new My Home Page, I'm assuming the bolded, yellow-background titles indicate shows with unread posts, correct?  But my new home page shows a LOT of "unread" shows that I'm sure I was caught up with.  Some haven't had a post in months.  On a few I checked, the post that comes up as the "first unread" is from around Spring 2018.

I'm kind of thinking it has something to do with whether I've ever posted in that thread/topic, but I haven't pinned that down.  And they do seem to behave correctly once I've opened and looked at them.  But I tended to follow a lot of old shows so I'd see if any news came up about the cast, so there are a lot to check now.

Is this a known glitch?  Something weird about my situation in particular?

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Psych just disappeared from not only my homepage, but it’s no longer listed in the show index.

Then it probably got nuked in error during migration.

32 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

On the new My Home Page, I'm assuming the bolded, yellow-background titles indicate shows with unread posts, correct?  But my new home page shows a LOT of "unread" shows that I'm sure I was caught up with.  Some haven't had a post in months.  On a few I checked, the post that comes up as the "first unread" is from around Spring 2018.

I'm kind of thinking it has something to do with whether I've ever posted in that thread/topic, but I haven't pinned that down.  And they do seem to behave correctly once I've opened and looked at them.  But I tended to follow a lot of old shows so I'd see if any news came up about the cast, so there are a lot to check now.

This is likely connected to the site reindexing happening in the background. A simple solution would to be mark all as read and start afresh.

26 minutes ago, Domestic Assassin said:

Where are these labels located?

They aren't available at the moment.

15 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Just out of curiosity, and I might have missed this in the tour, why are some shows in yellow boxes?

Yellow box = unread content in here.

• Useful 1
7 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Then it probably got nuked in error during migration

But it was there this morning once the site was up and running again and I logged in. As was Doubt, which just disappeared from my homepage. And that was there about a half hour ago.

Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

But it was there this morning once the site was up and running again and I logged in. As was Doubt, which just disappeared from my homepage. And that was there about a half hour ago.

Ok, I'll look into it. Thanks.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

This was due to an indexing error, both now should be there.

3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Related to the bolded suggestion above, in particular I think it would be great if the Site Business section could be back at the top of the homepages.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Ad placement is dictated by screen width, it is not customisable by users. If you prefer seeing ads inside topics vs at the side you can manually reduce your browser width until the ad placement switches.

Ad placement is dictated by screen width, it is not customisable by users.

When I adjust the screen width to get rid of the side bar the tabs, menus, breadcrumbs, notification and email icons, in other words pretty much everything disappears from the top of the screen. This means I can only have the layout I want with reduced functionality. Will that be fixed?

On my homepage I see a side bar with links to threads for random shows I don't follow. That is not helpful. How can I hide that, aside from making the window narrower? I also see this side bar when I go into a forum, but it just lists the same threads I see on the left side of the screen. This is redundant.

The bottom section of my home page shows 23 forums. I only follow one of those. How can I hide the other forums that I'm not interested in seeing? They take up a lot of screen real estate. I know I can collapse the whole section, but that hides the one forum I want to see on my customized home page. Switching back and forth from my home page to followed content to read one forum is not a practical solution.

The one good thing about that section is the check marks on the left that let me mark a whole section as read.  Very handy feature. This is missing the the TV shows section. The old customized home page had this functionality with a bubble next to each letter of the alphabet. Will that functionality be coming back?

When reading a thread, is there any way to make the left hand section showing the user names and time stamp of posts narrower? It takes up a lot of screen real estate that would be put to better use in the middle section where the actual content is.

LOVE the new look!   My comment about liking the "notification" options is covered by this GIF--a feature I tried for the first time.

pun thank you GIF by chuber channel

I wish there were an amnesty month where some of our banned friends were invited back...unless their behavior had been egregious.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

4 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

This is likely connected to the site reindexing happening in the background. A simple solution would to be mark all as read and start afresh.

Thanks, I know marking everything as read is an option, but there are several shows I wasn't caught up with before the shutdown and I don't want to miss those.  I'll probably just work my way through a few at a time when I have some spare minutes. 

I was just kind of curious whether it was just me, or a more wide-spread side effect of the upgrade (which looks great, by the way! - thanks!)

Step 4 of the tour links to Manage Followed Content (MFC), which opened fine for me on my followed topics. But when I then hit the Forums button within MFC, I get an error:

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Error code: EX1054

(I don't follow any members, but that tab seems to be working.)

Trying (at the very top of the page) Follows>Manage Forum Follows gets me the same error, EX1054.

• Love 1

Just curious what the "Featured" button means on a topic (e.g., the two threads at the top of this forum). It apparently is distinct from a pinned thread.

Adding my thanks, especially for the super easy way to add shows to my CHP. 

16 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

Yes, you can use the TV Show Index. Using the show search function is another option, above the TV Shows board on the homepage, if you want to find a show quickly.

Okay, beside bookmarking that page how is the Alpha list found? There is no link to it from the Home page genre-based list as far as I have been able to search out.

Edited by Wandering Snark

Regarding the need to adjust the browser width to change the ad location, I know that people use multiple browsers and devices to access PTV, so let me state that I am using IE 11.0 on a PC.  With that in mind, is adjusting browser width a common thing?  Because I have never even heard of it before this, and when I Google it, it appears to be something done by web designers, not garden variety users.  I attempted to cautiously try it using a site called browser-resizer but in the end it told me that even the small adjustment I put in was outside parameters and it didn't change anything.  What I am able to do in IE is go to the Tools icon and adjust the zoom ratio.  I have to go to 165% to push the ads from the sidebar back to the center in between posts.  While this solves the ad placement problem it creates its own issues, since even adjusting my PTV Theme to the smallest type size available (Medium) the type is so large that you have significantly fewer lines of data per screen.  That's not a deal-breaker but it's not great.  What the zoom increase does do that is truly a PITA is it messes up the PTV header info and icons, which makes the entire site much, much harder to navigate.

So that's where I am at the moment.  Am I totally misunderstanding the phrase "resize your browser width" or have I done what I can using IE?

• Love 2
14 hours ago, orza said:

When I adjust the screen width to get rid of the side bar the tabs, menus, breadcrumbs, notification and email icons, in other words pretty much everything disappears from the top of the screen. This means I can only have the layout I want with reduced functionality. Will that be fixed?

On my homepage I see a side bar with links to threads for random shows I don't follow. That is not helpful. How can I hide that, aside from making the window narrower? I also see this side bar when I go into a forum, but it just lists the same threads I see on the left side of the screen. This is redundant.

The bottom section of my home page shows 23 forums. I only follow one of those. How can I hide the other forums that I'm not interested in seeing? They take up a lot of screen real estate. I know I can collapse the whole section, but that hides the one forum I want to see on my customized home page. Switching back and forth from my home page to followed content to read one forum is not a practical solution.

The one good thing about that section is the check marks on the left that let me mark a whole section as read.  Very handy feature. This is missing the the TV shows section. The old customized home page had this functionality with a bubble next to each letter of the alphabet. Will that functionality be coming back?

When reading a thread, is there any way to make the left hand section showing the user names and time stamp of posts narrower? It takes up a lot of screen real estate that would be put to better use in the middle section where the actual content is.

The old customised homepage caused many tech issues when it came to site upgrades because there was an extremely high - untenable - amount of moving parts. Therefore, it was a case of forfeit some of that functionality for a less problematic system. The result is a case of WYSIWYG. If the CHP isn't good value for you as you only follow 1 forum, I suggest only using followed content + the default homepage and ignore the CHP entirely.

14 hours ago, orza said:

This sort of fine tuning can be looked into later on once we've got the update bugs smoothed out.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Thanks, I know marking everything as read is an option, but there are several shows I wasn't caught up with before the shutdown and I don't want to miss those.  I'll probably just work my way through a few at a time when I have some spare minutes. 

I was just kind of curious whether it was just me, or a more wide-spread side effect of the upgrade (which looks great, by the way! - thanks!)

Ok cool. As you can appreciate we're dealing with many issues at the moment and having to prioritise. I haven't had any other reports of this issue so far.

10 hours ago, Skyfall said:

Can we just go back to the old ad placement? It’s idiotic to have 1/3 of the screen not used because of a small ad at the top of the page.

No sorry, WYSIWYG.

9 hours ago, dcalley said:

Step 4 of the tour links to Manage Followed Content (MFC), which opened fine for me on my followed topics. But when I then hit the Forums button within MFC, I get an error:

(I don't follow any members, but that tab seems to be working.)

Trying (at the very top of the page) Follows>Manage Forum Follows gets me the same error, EX1054.

Will investigate.

9 hours ago, bref said:

Just curious what the "Featured" button means on a topic (e.g., the two threads at the top of this forum). It apparently is distinct from a pinned thread.

Adding my thanks, especially for the super easy way to add shows to my CHP. 

It means 'this is a VIP topic' aka please read.

8 hours ago, Jamoche said:

The previously.tv logo at the top left goes to forums, not the main page like it used to.

Thanks for letting us know 🙂 

6 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Okay, beside bookmarking that page how is the Alpha list found? There is no link to it from the Home page genre-based list as far as I have been able to search out.

Easiest way to find it is to click your username at the top right of a page and find it in the dropdown list there.

1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Regarding the need to adjust the browser width to change the ad location, I know that people use multiple browsers and devices to access PTV, so let me state that I am using IE 11.0 on a PC.  With that in mind, is adjusting browser width a common thing?  Because I have never even heard of it before this, and when I Google it, it appears to be something done by web designers, not garden variety users.  I attempted to cautiously try it using a site called browser-resizer but in the end it told me that even the small adjustment I put in was outside parameters and it didn't change anything.  What I am able to do in IE is go to the Tools icon and adjust the zoom ratio.  I have to go to 165% to push the ads from the sidebar back to the center in between posts.  While this solves the ad placement problem it creates its own issues, since even adjusting my PTV Theme to the smallest type size available (Medium) the type is so large that you have significantly fewer lines of data per screen.  That's not a deal-breaker but it's not great.  What the zoom increase does do that is truly a PITA is it messes up the PTV header info and icons, which makes the entire site much, much harder to navigate.

So that's where I am at the moment.  Am I totally misunderstanding the phrase "resize your browser width" or have I done what I can using IE?

Oh, yeah you're totally overthinking it - I meant manually adjusting your browser by going to the edge of the window and using the arrow to make your browser window narrower, aka the window will no longer take up your entire desktop.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

4 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Easiest way to find it is to click your username at the top right of a page and find it in the dropdown list there.

It's also the third option after you roll over the Follows tab under the logo on the top of the page.

And from the CHP, there's a link to it between your selected alpha list and the Beyond TV section.  Font may be a little hard to read, but that's what it is.

• Useful 1
21 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I can’t actuslly read any threads by going to that TV Index link. It just asks if I want to follow them when I click the titles, it doesn’t open the pages.

When I click on Other Shows, they are not alphabetized. Can that be changed? It’s really annoying to have to scan through a random list of shows to see if what I am looking for is even there.

I'm not sure if my issues are questions or requests but so far there are only two of them.    

1) how do I change the TV show format from Genre to Alphabetical?

2) I access PTV on an iPad in landscape mode using the Photon browser.   I cannot find a way to change the browser width and hate that the forum text is squished on the left side of the screen.   The screen is small to begin with and this format makes it worse.    Please tell me how to move the ads to within the text like it was.

ETA:  I would rather block the ads and have part of the screen blank than have them the way they are.....as a distraction.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 1
On 2/9/2019 at 10:40 AM, orza said:

Seconding the request for the return of this feature when you get to the fine-tuning phase.

I'm still unable to use Manage Forum Follows.  When I click on it I get

This is happening in Firefox and in Opera.  Windows 8.1

Manage Topic Follows works fine.

I noticed someone else has reported the same problem with no resolution.

Thanks for your hard work.  I can get around the problem on my home page but I prefer the format using Follows.

13 hours ago, SilverStormm said:
20 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Question regarding the page now that I can get there: Is there any way to get to the Forums on that list? The only thing it seems you can do is get 'Follow' options, you can't click through to see the actual forums.

• Love 1