Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

They were saying cer-VY-cal when I was there in 1993 so they probably still do. Some of those tiny differences can strike the ear so oddly.  I once asked the neighbor kids where their dog had been and they said she was being kept at home because she was, "on heat."  I chuckled all day over that.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, rhys said:

I'm wondering if the Brits of today still pronounce cervical like it was pronounced on the show. I had never heard the word pronounced that way before& it took me a moment to figure out what they were saying!

I wondered that too.  I assume they do -- otherwise the writers did some really deep research to discover an alternate pronunciation. 

Off topic:  On several episodes of a Canadian show, Corner Gas, characters pronounce "decal" as "deckle".  Is that really how it's pronounced in Canada?

Back on topic: I didn't like Lucille being picked up in a motorcycle with a side-car.  Cyril didn't have access to a car?  He had to know she'd be wearing a dress.  I think the writers just threw that in there, maybe thinking it would be comic relief. 

On 5/1/2019 at 12:51 PM, LGraves65 said:

From the recap I read on WETA, the man who experienced a phantom pregnancy and his wife had a complete storyline that PBS cut.  

Ugh. Why does PBS do this?  Just show the entire episode.

Agreed. Especially since what they show instead is worthless. In earlier seasons it was behind the scenes information that was usually pretty interesting. Lately it's been fourth rate special features on a DVD set. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Back on topic: I didn't like Lucille being picked up in a motorcycle with a side-car.  Cyril didn't have access to a car?  He had to know she'd be wearing a dress.  I think the writers just threw that in there, maybe thinking it would be comic relief.  

And all I could think about was how unsafe that was.  I always imagine those side cars coming apart from the motorcycle and crashing.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

And all I could think about was how unsafe that was.  I always imagine those side cars coming apart from the motorcycle and crashing.  

LOL! Look closely at 0.07!

• Love 5
On 5/1/2019 at 7:17 PM, rhys said:

I'm wondering if the Brits of today still pronounce cervical like it was pronounced on the show. I had never heard the word pronounced that way before& it took me a moment to figure out what they were saying!

I didn’t understand what she was saying until I saw the sign on the wall!

I’ve heard that same pronunciation used for “urinal” (ur-EYE-nal) and “vaginal” (vag-EYE-nal) in recent podcasts and shows with British actors. It always sounds so jarring!

4 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I didn’t understand what she was saying until I saw the sign on the wall!

I’ve heard that same pronunciation used for “urinal” (ur-EYE-nal) and “vaginal” (vag-EYE-nal) in recent podcasts and shows with British actors. It always sounds so jarring!

When I looked it up, I guess there is more than one way to say it.  I would probably look funny the first time I heard that in UK.  ; )

I have to look up or ask my daughter's British friend when I hear different things. Graft in regard to Phyllis I think, once had me perplexed but then I found:

What does graft mean in England?

work (esp in the phrase hard graft)

Now, that fit. lol

5 hours ago, debraran said:

Graft in regard to Phyllis I think, once had me perplexed but then I found:

It was about Sister E.  Fred said she was a grafter shortly after she died.

On 5/1/2019 at 1:02 PM, tennisgurl said:

And Shelagh saying how The Beatles "seem nicer than those Rolling Stones" was so adorably mom-ish.

What? I watched on the PBS website and I don't remember that line... The only non-work scene I saw with Shelagh was when Patrick was measuring the little girls.

I did chuckle over the older new nun (Hildegard?)'s response to Pam saying the was dying... something like, "You sound quite alive to me!" Her tone was everything. I like both new nuns quite well; I never warmed to Sister Winifred, so this has been an improvement for me. Some more characterization for all the newer midwives would be nice, though. (I still feel like Valerie is kind of Patsy 2.0 without the lesbianism, and Lucille is Barbara 2.0 with a different ethnicity.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

What? I watched on the PBS website and I don't remember that line... 

PBS always cuts a few minutes out of the original BBC airing so there's usually one or two scenes (or extensions of scenes) missing.

10 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

PBS always cuts a few minutes out of the original BBC airing so there's usually one or two scenes (or extensions of scenes) missing.

Yes, I'm aware. I was a little curious, though, since the OP was posting now (rather than back when it aired in the UK), whether this was a cut or I had just missed something. Would still love to hear what was going on in this scene, too!

3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Yes, I'm aware. I was a little curious, though, since the OP was posting now (rather than back when it aired in the UK), whether this was a cut or I had just missed something. Would still love to hear what was going on in this scene, too!

In that scene, Dr. Turner and Shelagh had been measuring Angela and Mai's height when Timothy comes by and tells them he's going around to friends to listen to "A Hard Day's Night" and he's taking some beer he's found in a cupboard with him.  Shelagh jokes that she needs to check if he's "tall enough" to drink beer but since he's now taller than her, she kind of indicates she thinks he is.  Patrick also observes that Paul McCartney's mother was a midwife.

There's another kind of "companion scene" to that in Episode 2 where Shelagh tells Patrick there's some coffee left if he'd like a cup.  He declines, but Timothy pipes up that he'll take it.  Shelagh tells him that percolated coffee isn't good for him and that tea is strong enough for a teenaged boy.  She then sends him upstairs with the little girls to supervise their brushing their teeth.  IOW, beer is fine for a boy his age, but not coffee. 

• Love 3
On 5/5/2019 at 3:35 PM, Badger said:

There's another kind of "companion scene" to that in Episode 2 where Shelagh tells Patrick there's some coffee left if he'd like a cup.  He declines, but Timothy pipes up that he'll take it.  Shelagh tells him that percolated coffee isn't good for him and that tea is strong enough for a teenaged boy. 

My favorite bit of that is at the very end you see him sneaking a cup while his parents are wrangling the younger kids and he makes the face so many kids make when they first taste coffee (or beer for that matter) and puts it back.   

• Love 4
On 4/29/2019 at 3:50 PM, Rap541 said:

For House? It kinda was!

I know I called Sgt Walrus an asshole last week, so bear in mind that I do still think that but....

Phyllis needs to grow the fuck up and make a grown up decision here. There's no confusion here at all, he's *been asking her out on dates*. If she doesn't like him, fine, I don't like him either, but he's actually been pretty nice to her and her thinly veiled disgust after he *nicely* offers to drive her around, and her rude lack of acknowledgement towards his gestures is making Phyllis look like the asshole here.

Not only was Sister Monica Joan subtly encouraging Lucille with good sense and wisdom, she also remembers, late at night, while being screamed at, that she delivered a particular woman's baby 20 years ago. Hmmm. Did her dementia take the episode off? Again?

I don't really like Lucille enough to care who she dates, because I find her almost cloyingly perfect, but considering the times, I can see why she might be encouraged to see a pleasant nice looking man who shares similar interests and background. I mean, we didn't object when Barbara went after Tom, for mostly similar reasons.

I will be contrary to the common opinion and say I liked that they gave a more honest depiction of how doctors handled unusual cases like teaching example freak shows because yes, this is what happened to people who were poor who had unusual health problems. I also appreciate that while "You're genetically male" was hamhanded and blunt and upsetting, that in that setting, that was probably the only thing Turner and Trixie knew to say  - they weren't getting gender sensitivity classes back in 1964.

I felt so bad for Sgt Wolf when he went to trouble of getting ice cream cones for them and Phyllis brushed him off and left in her car.

• Love 1
On 2/11/2019 at 5:09 AM, snowwhyte said:

I felt so sorry for that poor girl being stared at by a bunch of doctors who didn't seem to understand that she was a person with actual feelings and not just as specimen. I'm glad that's mostly changed now.

I've done my best not to go to teaching hospitals after my sister's experience in them. In her case, they were talking dispassionately, as if she wasn't there, about her terminal cancer diagnosis. She was mildly cognitively impaired, and all that did was throw her into a spiral that killed her sooner than it would have.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:00 AM, MissLucas said:

I was hoping Sister Frances would show some unexpected mechanical skills and so gain a bit of recognition and self-confidence. Alas, it was not to be.

I was hoping too.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:02 AM, bybrandy said:

Yo, I was so waiting for her to go to town on that car and I was all in for it.  Instead no just a fear of speaking in public which she gets over relatively easily.   The whole picturing people naked thing is always the advice people give.  And I've never had that great of an imagination.  I mean picturing one person naked, sure.  Maybe.  But a whole room?  And I think that would make me more uncomfortable to suddenly be in a room full of nudists in my clothes.   Awkward.  Just me.

Yeah, the advice about picturing the audience naked was always weird to me. The most helpful advice I got was to pick a friendly face in the audience and focus on them. In addition, the advice to look at their foreheads instead of their eyes was good too - they can't tell you aren't looking them in the eye.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:25 PM, MissLucas said:

I feel less reluctant about Nurse Crane's romance since it has developed more organically. I'm still not sure I'm going to root for Sgt. Woolf since her previous love-interest looked like a better match (well apart from being married). But she's a mature and experienced woman who's normally not mincing her words so I take the fact that she has not firmly explained to him that he's fighting a lost battle as a sign of some interest - that she might not be truly aware of yet, hence the bewilderment.

That's an excellent point.

On 4/29/2019 at 4:53 AM, Kohola3 said:

Doubly important since both of them said that they had no idea what to do and that would be under normal circumstances.

I thought that was refreshing - the guy was clearly a virgin with no real idea of what sex was supposed to be. If anything, I think that makes it more possible that they could find a fulfilling intimate life.

On 4/29/2019 at 12:50 PM, Rap541 said:

Not only was Sister Monica Joan subtly encouraging Lucille with good sense and wisdom, she also remembers, late at night, while being screamed at, that she delivered a particular woman's baby 20 years ago. Hmmm. Did her dementia take the episode off? Again?

My father with dementia remembered things in the past quite clearly (until they eventually shredded away), so remembering something from 20 years ago isn't inconsistent.

On 5/1/2019 at 8:59 AM, AuntiePam said:

And even though the show is set in the early 60's when married couples slept in twin beds, the characters can certainly speak to their physician without worrying about censorship.

TV married couples slept on twin beds in the 60s. My parents sure didn't, and I don't recall seeing twin beds in any of the houses I played out - outside of the kids' rooms.

I get why the Lucille matchmaking part was annoying to some, but it was also sweet and fun to watch Sr. MJ's efforts, Lucille seeing right through them, and the scene with Lucille getting ready to go out. 

I reacted out loud when poor Lois was examined by that doctor. I realize the students need to learn and certainly seeing rare cases is helpful, but STILL. I go to a teaching hospital-affiliated clinic for dermatology updates--it can be awkward having a committee (it feels like) staring at your face and moles--but no where near as bad as poor Lois. 

I loved Sister Julienne stepping in when the angry mother showed up. She always has such a kind, but firm when needed, demeanor.

• Like 1