Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S08.E05: Episode 5

Poplar welcomes a brand new cervical cancer-screening clinic to the Institute and Dr Turner (Stephen McGann), Shelagh (Laura Main) and Trixie (Helen George) are pleased to be part of the exciting new venture. One of their first patients is a young woman who is due to be married, but has never had a period. She has to be referred to St Cuthbert's where she receives a diagnosis of a rare condition known then as Testicular Feminisation Syndrome. Trixie does her utmost to be supportive but the truth of the condition has larger repercussions than anyone could ever have imagined. The prospect of a new romance for Lucille (Leonie Elliott) brightens the mood at Nonnatus House and the husband of an expectant mother suffers with some inexplicable pains, similar to his wife's pregnancy symptoms. Sister Frances (Ella Bruccoleri) faces her very real fear of public speaking when she is tasked with running her first Mothercraft session.

I felt so sorry for that poor girl being stared at by a bunch of doctors who didn't seem to understand that she was a person with actual feelings and not just as specimen. I'm glad that's mostly changed now. 

I know Lucille's romance plot is meant to add a bit of lightness but as someone who is happily single it always annoys me when people try to matchmake or push you towards someone just because they think they know better than you what you need. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowwhyte said:

I felt so sorry for that poor girl being stared at by a bunch of doctors who didn't seem to understand that she was a person with actual feelings and not just as specimen. I'm glad that's mostly changed now. 

That scene was so chilling!  That poor girl.  Stuff like that has  gotten way, way, way better but can still happen a bit.  My mom can't speak because of recurrent oral cancer/treatment/side effects.   So when she's at the doctor's office I translate for her.   No problem.  But people very easily just start talking to me.  I'm like, she's the patient!   She can understand you even if you can't understand her.  This gave me very much those vibes but worse.   

Yeah, I genuinely liked the guy and any lightness in this show is a good thing (it can get so dark) but I also felt uncomfortable with people pushing her especially when she specifically said no.  That said I'm no more comfortable than Sgt Walrus who keeps persuing Nurse Crane who keeps just looking bewildered at him.  I think I'm supposed to be rooting for that and they clearly want me to know he's a good guy, but I'm just not feeling it.

I did like that when Lucille told Phylis that Cyril had asked her out, Lucille said, "good for him" because he was the one who noticed an extraordinary woman and plucked up the courage to ask and well done him.... but so many times they response would be "good for you" as if you are so incredibly lucky some man deigned to notice you.

• Like 2

I remember reading about a lady suffering from TFM - she was diagnosed as a teenager during the 90's I think. And while she wasn't treated like a freak her experience wasn't much better. She was given the a dry diagnosis and then sent her merry ways - feeling completely bewildered and confused. No referral to counselling - nothing. She was left to her own devices.

This was another episode where the show was trying to have its cake and eat it. They showed how the medical establishment - outside the bubble that is Poplar - lacked in humanity and the mother's ferocious attack on Sister Monica Joan was a reminder how much stigma  was (and to a degree still is) attached to such cases. But then the sugar-coating began. While I don't think the fiancé's acceptance was completely unrealistic it certainly felt rushed and a bit anachronistic.

I was hoping Sister Frances would show some unexpected mechanical skills and so gain a bit of recognition and self-confidence. Alas, it was not to be. I felt uncomfortable watching that romance for various reasons. But we'll see how it plays out.

ETA: The highlight of the episode was Dr. Turner's face when the first pap smear patient told him that she had had worse 'up there'.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

While I don't think the fiancé's acceptance was completely unrealistic it certainly felt rushed and a bit anachronistic.

This!   He didn't freak out even a little bit?   He didn't need time to come around to the idea?  Just bing, bang, boom... yeah, I love you it is fine?  And it isn't like they've been married 25 years.  The thing is even back then people coped so that there is a guy out there who would stay?  Sure.  But who is ready to go all in 12 seconds after finding out the woman he's with is genetically male?  She will be unable to have children?  And phsyical intamacy for them while doable might take more work and creativity?   Yeah, that's not a 12 second conversation.

I was hoping Sister Frances would show some unexpected mechanical skills and so gain a bit of recognition and self-confidence.

Yo, I was so waiting for her to go to town on that car and I was all in for it.  Instead no just a fear of speaking in public which she gets over relatively easily.   The whole picturing people naked thing is always the advice people give.  And I've never had that great of an imagination.  I mean picturing one person naked, sure.  Maybe.  But a whole room?  And I think that would make me more uncomfortable to suddenly be in a room full of nudists in my clothes.   Awkward.  Just me.

Fortunately, I'm not terribly nervous about speaking in front of people so I've never had to put this to a test.

I felt uncomfortable watching that romance for various reasons. But we'll see how it plays out.

Hey, here is a black guy in poplar with a vaguely carrebean accent.  He should totally date the vaguely carrabian black nurse.  Bing, bang, boom, settled!   

When Monica Joan was telling her he was a lay preacher I was like uh, hu, and what does he preach?  Because as a woman of faith Lucille doesn't necessarily need to be dating somebody that wouldn't fit in with her congregation... but it will probably turn out okay... because you know all black preaching is the same?   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

Hey, here is a black guy in poplar with a vaguely carrebean accent.  He should totally date the vaguely carrabian black nurse.  Bing, bang, boom, settled!   

When Monica Joan was telling her he was a lay preacher I was like uh, hu, and what does he preach?  Because as a woman of faith Lucille doesn't necessarily need to be dating somebody that wouldn't fit in with her congregation... but it will probably turn out okay... because you know all black preaching is the same?   

LOL about the first quote! And thanks for putting my feelings about the whole scenario in such succinct words. I know interracial dating was not exactly encouraged back then but the ease with which everybody decided that this guy was Mr Right for Lucille due to matching levels of melanin had the subtlety of a sledgehammer.

And yeah, the whole preacher thing was also weird.

• Like 2

I do think that the matchmakers has good intentions. They thought it would be nice for Lucille to have a life beyond work and church but it definitely seemed like everyone saw this young, Afro-Caribbean guy and immediately thought he was a match for Lucille even before they got to know anything about him. It might not have been so bad if Lucille has seemed happy and interested about the situation but everyone seemed to be ignoring her feelings and obvious reluctance. 

Edited by snowwhyte
  • Like 1

Oh, I think Sister Monica Joan was quite sweet and it was probably really how people would have reacted to the scenario. But I wish somehow it had been handled with more nuance. Lucille's romantic aspirations or lack thereof was never even an issue before this episode IIRC and so it all felt a bit heavy-handed.

I feel less reluctant about Nurse Crane's romance since it has developed more organically. I'm still not sure I'm going to root for Sgt. Woolf since her previous love-interest looked like a better match (well apart from being married). But she's a mature and experienced woman who's normally not mincing her words so I take the fact that she has not firmly explained to him that he's fighting a lost battle as a sign of some interest - that she might not be truly aware of yet, hence the bewilderment.

Edited by MissLucas

The attempts to pair Lucille & Cyril were both heavy-handed & kinda gross.  I get why, but it doesn't make it better.  IDK why people couldn't just leave Lucille to figure out her own love life.  But Nonnatus House has always been full of Nosy Nellies when it comes to relationships, so I'm not that surprised.

I don't feel Phyllis & the sarge have much, if any, romantic chemistry, but at least they had a build.