Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress: Atlanta - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

No. 

Well, maybe Monte's over-the-top diva act but I would think that would get tiresome very quickly if a daily routine.

And, even then, Monte doesn't actually work at the bridal shop, he's a hairdresser in real life who was put on the show to be Southern fried Randy.  So, the scene where Mollie scolds him for being late coming back from lunch was just more scripted nonsense.  He doesn't work there, he works on the show.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5
On 7/22/2018 at 8:41 PM, TVFAN said:

The child's life is going to change as much as the mother's.  What's the harm in finding a dress that makes both of them happy?

No.   Ask the child's input on the flower colour, or what you should serve for dessert.  The dress is the one thing the bride gets to pick (notwithstanding all of the entourage members who think otherwise.)  As many times as I said in my teens "Good God, Mother, that outfit is embarrassing (me)", it really wasn't my place to tell her what to wear.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Quof said:

No.   Ask the child's input on the flower colour, or what you should serve for dessert.  The dress is the one thing the bride gets to pick (notwithstanding all of the entourage members who think otherwise.)  As many times as I said in my teens "Good God, Mother, that outfit is embarrassing (me)", it really wasn't my place to tell her what to wear.

Amen.  Let the child help pick her own outfit, help pick the cake or flowers or choose some music for the church or reception.  No kid that age should have that much control over what her mother does or wears, nor should she be tolerated when she behaves like a brat about it.  Bringing her along to the appointment and asking for her input was enough.  For the kid to expect to be able to choose her mother's wedding dress and then to throw a full-blown tantrum when mother didn't want the dress she wanted; is pure brattiness.  At first whine, she should've been removed from the scene.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Quof said:

The child has got to learn that the world doesn't revolve around her.  She needs this as a life license.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

No kid that age should have that much control over what her mother does or wears ...

But she's her mother's "best friend!"

Gag.

• Love 8

I thought the reception dress bride looked stunning in the vixen gown she thought was too low cut. I really wanted her fiancé to see her in it!

The medium (sigh) bride looked lovely in her dress, sleeves and all. I don't remember seeing that model before. It looked better without a veil, IMO. No offense to close families, but that mother and daughter came off as a little creepy to me. Hope the son-in-law is okay with a constant emotional tug of war over his wife's affections.

It occurred to me that the show has dispensed with the entourage sitting on those upholstered benches in the lobby while the consultant comes out and chirps, "Who's my bride!?"

• Love 2
7 hours ago, 2727 said:

The medium (sigh) bride looked lovely in her dress, sleeves and all. I don't remember seeing that model before. It looked better without a veil, IMO.

She did look lovely and I didn't like the veil too much, either.  However, I don't think her mother liked it (although maybe she liked a little bit better than the other two), but went along only because the friend told her knock off the severe criticism.   Speaking of the mother, while I hated they way she was stating her dislike of the dresses, I did have to agree that the first dress was ugly.  The top was totally mismatched with the bottom and they were even different shades!  It was really distracting.

• Love 2

This show is just so predictable and infuriating.  It's so disgusting in how they make sport of making people feel bad, causing hurt feelings and encouraging the facade that women have to somehow feel beaten down (even involving innocent children...shameful), before they can be happy and please everyone with their decision.  Such a load of crap.  I would LOVE IT,  if some network with more respect for women and brides, would step up to the plate and produce a real, positive show about searching for gowns, selecting gowns, and their purchase, etc.   There is so much potential there. They don't need this Say Yes franchise malarkey.  

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I would LOVE IT,  if some network with more respect for women and brides, would step up to the plate and produce a real, positive show about searching for gowns, selecting gowns, and their purchase, etc. 

Absolutely. I am in it entirely to look at pretty dresses - I don't give a flying fig about the back stories at all.  Cut out the fake rivalries and triple the number of dresses that are tried on.  Give us some close ups of the details on the dresses.  Show us some different veils.  Anything but this crap.  Which, by the way, I refuse to watch anymore.

• Love 7

It's kind of a shame that this is the version of wedding dress shopping that stuck. There used to be several other shows: that large salon in Dallas, a pricey place in NYC, one with the two African-American sisters (my favorite), the "custom" shop that made mix and match pieces, the consultant who left Kleinfeld's and opened her own shop, the Boston place that sold sample dresses, the "should I wear my mother's dress" show. Probably others I'm forgetting.

• Love 5

I didn't realize there had been  other options on tv for bridal gown shopping, but, imo, NOW would be a good time to give this franchise some competition.  Isn't that what the women's movement is all about....empowering women to have their own voice? And not to kowtow to people who would shame you for selfish reasons?  The very theme of the show is insulting to brides.  I hope somehow, it will be addressed and the theme changed or a new and better show takes the lead. 

• Love 3

I am pretty much done with this show.  Tired of all the made up story lines and especially tired of the lori/monte antics.  Not entertaining at all.  I am with those who would like to see a show which focuses on the gown selection.  Where we see the consultants recommend the best style gown for the bride.  Where the bride and consultant have an in depth coversation about what the bride is looking for and they work together to find the best look for the bride.  I don't want to see obnoxious relatives and friends.  I don't want to see anymore shows where Monte is sent out for a pregnancy test or puts a turban on and pretends to be a psychic. 

• Love 9
(edited)
37 minutes ago, abbey said:

I am pretty much done with this show.  Tired of all the made up story lines and especially tired of the lori/monte antics.  Not entertaining at all.  I am with those who would like to see a show which focuses on the gown selection.  Where we see the consultants recommend the best style gown for the bride.  Where the bride and consultant have an in depth coversation about what the bride is looking for and they work together to find the best look for the bride.  I don't want to see obnoxious relatives and friends.  I don't want to see anymore shows where Monte is sent out for a pregnancy test or puts a turban on and pretends to be a psychic. 

AMEN.   It's pathetic and I wonder which is worse.  The producers who insist on these storylines or the cast that carries them out.  Is the money that good? It's the only reason I can imagine that you would subject yourself to such an abusive theme.  TLC doesn't have much of an imagination, imo and they have a very mean and immature mentality. 

I wonder if the OWN network might be interested.  Oprah might have a better eye for something more upscale and humane.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

Agree with everyone who is bored by the fake story lines. However, both brides were gorgeous and while I didn’t personally love the dresses they chose it was fun to see something different. The woman with the red dress had the most amazing hair!

• Love 5

Just saw the episode where the bride's mom was coerced into spending double her budget for the (petite) bride.  $2800, plus accessories!  Apparently there was only one dress in her price range.  Really?  Really shitty of everyone to gang up on the mom, as far as I'm concerned.  It's just a damn dress, people!

Bride's name was Summer.

Edited by WarnerCL45
  • Love 2

Joan the wounded Navy vet is the first bride I've really liked in a long time. She won me over when she said she didn't care how fancy the wedding was as long as there was love and happiness there. It was so lovely that she decided to focus on what she liked about herself and went with the dress that highlighted her curves.

Best wishes to Melissa on her retirement!

• Love 10
On 7/24/2018 at 8:04 AM, cameron said:

At least she didn't pick out a stupid JoJo bow headpiece for her mom like the one she was wearing.

Hahahahahaha!! Wasn’t she a little too big to be wearing that big honking bow? And that aunt. The bride should have left that think she knows it all at home.

• Love 3

I'm watching the reruns this morning, and the one question I still keep asking myself is why we keep seeing women choose  form-fitting gowns that accent their stomachs. Do they ever turn sideways when they're looking at themselves in the mirror? If I can see tummies on TV when they're walking out to model for their entourages, it seems like the brides-to-be would have to notice, too. I wouldn't want to have to spend my whole wedding and reception consciously holding my stomach in. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 7

I was really expecting them to comp Joan’s dress as a “thank you for your service” gift, especially since they didn’t ask her price point. 

And Miss America was stunning in that first halter-style dress. She looked good in everything, but the first one was the winner. I wonder if she didn’t actually purchase anything that day since they didn’t have any other planning done for the wedding. I think she was just there to promote her “singing career.”  

• Love 4

I liked Miss America's first dress, too. But it was definitely a no-bra dress, and, being a former Miss A,  it's possible she didn't want to wear one of those. Even when you're no longer wearing the crown, I imagine there are certain attire guidelines you'd abide by, since people will still be judging you.

Edited by rur
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

I was really expecting them to comp Joan’s dress as a “thank you for your service” gift, especially since they didn’t ask her price point. 

And Miss America was stunning in that first halter-style dress. She looked good in everything, but the first one was the winner. I wonder if she didn’t actually purchase anything that day since they didn’t have any other planning done for the wedding. I think she was just there to promote her “singing career.”  

Betty Cantrell (Miss America 2016) really did buy that last dress she tried on and wore it at her wedding.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Zanzibar said:

Cantrell (Miss America 2016) really did buy that last dress she tried on and wore it at her wedding.

That’s nice. She seemed to have more to say about recording an album in Nashville than her upcoming wedding. 

• Love 2

I definitely felt it was arranged to get her dress there on camera to advertise & get her recording career going.

For vet bride I thought the first dress was the best, most flattering, & at least different. Hope all works out well for her.

• Love 2

I loved all three of the dresses she tried on, although, I'd have liked the 2nd one better if it was all one color.   As much as I get tired of strapless dresses, the one she settled for was beautiful.  I loved the details in the skirt.

• Love 2
On 8/5/2018 at 3:58 PM, Zanzibar said:

Betty Cantrell (Miss America 2016) really did buy that last dress she tried on and wore it at her wedding.

I realize that backdrop is supposed to be special, but, to me, it looks too dirty.  Not attractive, imo. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

The skirt of the dress was nice but the top was another one of those that looks like lingerie.

I loved the skirt as well but the close ups will only show the top and none of the gorgeous detail.  Pictures that show the whole dress are too far away to see much detail. That;s the problem with all of those strapless things - all you see is a couple of inches of dress and nothing else but skin in the close pictures.

• Love 3
On July 9, 2018 at 9:42 PM, 2727 said:

It's especially galling because the consultants damned well know better. Did the tall bride originally ask for a ballgown? I think so, but when she didn't like the first one with the tulle skirt they brought in the other one with pleats that was even bigger at the waist. Lori said it's good practice to save the best for last, which may be an effective sales technique but which can be a bit cruel to insecure brides. (On the other hand, we've seen lots of brides who get exhausted and tearful after trying on two dresses, so maybe it's a toss-up.)

Just watching this episode now, and I agree.  I would have suggested an a-line or empire-style for that bride.  That heavy, pleated ball gown was even worse than the first.  The fitted one grabbed her in the worst place.  The sales people should have known better.

But this is TV.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

I am so glad that Dani picked the gown she did.  I didn't like her second choice at all.  The illusion material was awful.

This was a refreshingly normal episode; two lovely brides with supportive, positive family and friends.  

• Love 5

The gown Dani picked was my least favorite of the 3, but as long as she’s happy....

Arrica’s dress will look beautiful when it’s all put together. I wish they would show wedding footage or at least a pic for every bride so we could see the final “look.”  

090AAB07-0A02-48CF-AD7E-4227647AD8D8.jpeg

Edited by DietCokeJunkie
Found a pic!
  • Love 9

Arica looks lovely.  I had wondered why she didn't also have her mom or twin sister (who she had been maid of honor for) with her to pick though.

I'm done with celebrity cameos on this show; just not interested. Very happy for Dani but she was acting a bit loopy. I pretty much tuned out on that one.

• Love 1
On 7/29/2018 at 12:19 PM, 2727 said:

It's kind of a shame that this is the version of wedding dress shopping that stuck. There used to be several other shows: a pricey place in NYC...

Are you talking about "Amsale Girls"?  I really liked that show; I wish it would have run longer.

The one continuing feature that I detest is when the bride and/or entourage  is indecisive and the sales folks get out some random veil and maybe some costume jewelry and all of a sudden everyone is crying and going on about how this is "THE ONE".  Those same people would probably never figure out that Superman is just Clark Kent without his glasses on.

• Love 3

I am new to watching both shows, but the episode with Kiss where she could be pregnant and the other chick with an over dramatic mom's reaction to the low cut dress and then the nonexistent reaction to the one that her daughter liked, what a bitch. It really struck me when he daughter said she would be stuck in a dress she didn't like.

Omg, Mr Michael sucked asshole. I'm afraid I would have told him to leave and never talk to me again. Like fuck off you made her cry. It isn't a pageant and she isn't competing to win a title, she already won the title of bride. Let her enjoy the fitting and go suck a bag of dicks. 

Then the mom and dad's attorney, my gosh it is your wedding chick. Pick one for yourself. 

Edited by toodywoody

Anyone watching the episode now with the girl buying the broke NBA player and then blaming his financial situation on a gold digging ex and all of his baby mamas as if her fiance had zero to do with his significant debt?  And it seems like she's marrying him so she can say "former NBA player...."

7 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Anyone watching the episode now with the girl buying the broke NBA player and then blaming his financial situation on a gold digging ex and all of his baby mamas as if her fiance had zero to do with his significant debt?  And it seems like she's marrying him so she can say "former NBA player...."

I saw that and looked him up.  He's a dog and she's a fool.

43 minutes ago, pieinmyeye said:

Anyone watching now? Odd the bride referred to Jesse as her current sister-in-law. The future mil sounds like she’d like for the bride to wear a burka. Get real lady!

Yes, the bride was Jessica Seewald, Jessa's SIL.

• Love 2

I’m glad this show is back.    I like it so much better than the NY one.      Lori and Monty both look fantastic!     I like the bridesmaids side of it as well.