Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress: Atlanta - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I really like Lori and Monte, and Lori's son in the few times we've seen him. But her daughter is a raging bitch; if we were expected to like her and laugh at her antics, the show was sorely mistaken. Couldn't stand her at all.

• Love 5
(edited)

Last night's episode was an improvement in that there were no convicts or bratty kids involved.

However, Bachelorette Brit goes wedding dress shopping when her wedding is only 2 months away and she not only has no idea what dress style she likes, she doesn't even know how much she wants to spend on a dress?  Puhlleeze!!!  She's appeared not once, but twice, on a reality TV show where all the women are dressing in formal wear half the time, done up to the nines, she's a very pretty gal who has obviously spent a goodly portion of her time capitalizing on her looks to get TV gigs; but she doesn't know what sort of wedding dress she likes and has no budget. And I'm the Easter bunny.  She looked like an ignorant fool when she recited those obviously scripted lines.  Must've been pretty desperate to get on TV again to be ok with acting like a dummy.  The dress she chose looked great on her, but, of course, being built like a model and being very pretty; everything looked good on her.

The second bride was much more interesting and the sort of story I much prefer on this show.  The bride was so tall that finding dresses that were long enough was a problem and, then, she's not a perfect size 6 and had a less than perfect figure and had the usual issues with dress shopping that most women face.  I loved the attitudes of Lori and her assistants, that it wasn't her figure, it was the dress and that they were going to find the right dress for her.  Her face just lit up when she saw herself in the dress that was most flattering and her joy at seeing herself looking so pretty was a pleasure to watch.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 11
40 minutes ago, cameron said:

You would think that the bride from Georgia would do something about her figure if she wasn't happy with how she looked in dresses.

Well, first of all, that's easier said than done.  And second, wedding planning is a high stress situation and a great many brides gain weight from the stress.  Third, you have to order dresses way ahead of time.  We've seen brides order smaller sizes thinking they would lose weight before the wedding and then having to have alterations.  That very rarely works unless there is surgery involved!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, first of all, that's easier said than done.  And second, wedding planning is a high stress situation and a great many brides gain weight from the stress.  Third, you have to order dresses way ahead of time.  We've seen brides order smaller sizes thinking they would lose weight before the wedding and then having to have alterations.  That very rarely works unless there is surgery involved!

She hasn't been happy about her body since her senior prom about 7 years ago.  Plenty of time to do something if she is unhappy with how she looks.  If she was happy with her look there wouldn't be a problem.

(edited)
1 hour ago, cameron said:

She hasn't been happy about her body since her senior prom about 7 years ago.  Plenty of time to do something if she is unhappy with how she looks.  If she was happy with her look there wouldn't be a problem.

I don't think there is much she can do about being 6'2" which seemed to be her major issue.  Even if she loses weight, it looks like she has an 'apple' body shape which means she carries more weight in her midsection and doesn't have a well defined waist.  There are lots of women who fall within 'normal' guidelines for height and weight who have problems finding clothing because of the sorts of figure issues she has.  Most clothes are designed for tall, thin size 6 women who have a well defined waist and whose body weight is distributed proportionately.  Most women are not built like that and many struggle to figure out what styles are most flattering.  Even if she'd been at her ideal body weight, not every gown was going to look good on her.  Everyone deserves to feel pretty on their wedding day, even those of us who aren't perfect sample sizes.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, cameron said:

Plenty of time to do something if she is unhappy with how she looks.

Not sure how she was supposed to get shorter.

And many of us are saddled with body shapes that don't fit the "norm" or what fashion designers decide is normal.  It makes me very unhappy when trying on certain dresses because they are not meant for my body type.  But I cannot change that no matter how many years I have to do so.  And trying on a dress for a special day just brings all of those insecurities to the forefront.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Not sure how she was supposed to get shorter.

And many of us are saddled with body shapes that don't fit the "norm" or what fashion designers decide is normal.  It makes me very unhappy when trying on certain dresses because they are not meant for my body type.  But I cannot change that no matter how many years I have to do so.  And trying on a dress for a special day just brings all of those insecurities to the forefront.

Didn't say she was suppose to get shorter.  Just lose weight.  Notice how she came into the salon wearing a really short outfit.  Didn't bother her then.

9 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I loved the attitudes of Lori and her assistants, that it wasn't her figure, it was the dress and that they were going to find the right dress for her.  Her face just lit up when she saw herself in the dress that was most flattering and her joy at seeing herself looking so pretty was a pleasure to watch.

This is what Lori and her staff do best.  I really respected Lori when she told Monte that they've all been that person in the dressing room that didn't like what they saw in the mirror.  Thank you Lori for understanding this and for making sure that the brides who do battle with self-esteem issues are treated with dignity and respect.  Aside from the "jack her up" comment, I really like Lori and her crew.  

• Love 12

Some body types are just not meant for strapless dresses. Who wants to see back fat? Who wants to spend their entire wedding day hitching up the bodice every other second? There are plenty of more flattering alternatives out there and some brides need to stop blindly following a trend that frankly makes them look like 10 lbs of potatoes shoved into a 3lb. bag. 

Say no to strapless! 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, cameron said:

Didn't say she was suppose to get shorter.  Just lose weight.  Notice how she came into the salon wearing a really short outfit.  Didn't bother her then.

She didn’t say she never wants to wear a short dress. She didn’t want one for her prom or wedding. And she doesn’t need to lose weight unless she wants to. She seemed very nice, not sure why there is so much animosity. 

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

And she doesn’t need to lose weight unless she wants to. She seemed very nice, not sure why there is so much animosity. 

And even if she did lose weight it would not change her overall body shape.  I thought she was nice as well and there was no over-the-top drama so hope she has a happy wedding.

• Love 7

AFAIK, Kleinfeld has shape wear in various sizes/styles brides can slip into when trying on gowns (from what I can recall, we saw them last season in the room where they keep the "baby bumps" for pregnant brides so they can see how a gown will look on their wedding day, according to how many months along they will be).

I'm surprised B by L doesn't likewise have shapewear for brides to borrow when selecting a gown, or, if they do, no one thought to offer the service to Tall Bride. I mention this because I thought all of the gowns she tried would have looked much better had she been wearing a corset underneath. A corset would have cinched in her waist and given her that hourglass figure, and all of those gowns would have looked much nicer on her. Even though she might still not have been thrilled with any of the first few gowns she tried, at least with a corset it might not have been quite so traumatizing for her.

12 hours ago, cameron said:

Yes, she was highlighting the part of her body she liked, and she wanted to downplay the parts of her body she didn't, like every other woman on this earth no matter what their size.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, TwirlyGirly said:

I mention this because I thought all of the gowns she tried would have looked much better had she been wearing a corset underneath. A corset would have cinched in her waist and given her that hourglass figure, and all of those gowns would have looked much nicer on her. Even though she might still not have been thrilled with any of the first few gowns she tried, at least with a corset it might not have been quite so traumatizing for her.

I thought the same thing.

@Miss Chevious, I said in the other show forum before I knew this one existed that I look hideous in strapless dresses--I need at least straps on all my dresses.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

And even if she did lose weight it would not change her overall body shape.  I thought she was nice as well and there was no over-the-top drama so hope she has a happy wedding.

I think some of her problem was that she had no idea what dress type would look good on her. It should not have taken so many dresses to get her to an A-line. With her shape, I thought that would be a place to start, unless you wanted to rule out dresses that she thought she might like first. It doesn't help that bridal sizing seems designed to be cruel, in that the sizes are numbered smaller than street sizes, so if you are going in feeling self-conscious about not being built like a stick model, you are going to feel even worse.

I think a sleeve or a strap would have complimented her shape well, too, so it's too bad they did not show her anything like that. I don't like strapless on most people.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, jcbrown said:

It should not have taken so many dresses to get her to an A-line.

It's especially galling because the consultants damned well know better. Did the tall bride originally ask for a ballgown? I think so, but when she didn't like the first one with the tulle skirt they brought in the other one with pleats that was even bigger at the waist. Lori said it's good practice to save the best for last, which may be an effective sales technique but which can be a bit cruel to insecure brides. (On the other hand, we've seen lots of brides who get exhausted and tearful after trying on two dresses, so maybe it's a toss-up.)

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, jcbrown said:
On 09/07/2018 at 7:35 AM, Kohola3 said:

I think some of her problem was that she had no idea what dress type would look good on her.

Too bad the consultants are not more helpful!  I suppose it's all about the sale.  I can see why the brides bring people with them, however, way too many in some cases.

• Love 3

It also didn't help that (I'm assuming) the dresses she was trying on weren't her size either. Even when clipped to try to make it fit, it can be demoralizing to see yourself in a dress that just doesn't fit because it's too small.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/19/2018 at 9:18 PM, Spunkygal said:

And I thought Cade had a creepy "I'm gonna jump your bones" vibe toward Monte. Cade is 16 and Monte is at least in his 50s, maybe 60s. As I said on another thread, I'm done with Atlanta but will check here occasionally for snark! But I'm not wasting any more time on any version of SYTTD. 

See, I didn't get that vibe at all personally. Monte has done feel-good subplots with other gay sons of the brides, like that 10-year-old "mini Monte" where they thought it would be hilarious to dress him like Monte and do his hand gestures. I think Cade was just excited to have an older gay man in his life as a mentor and someone to indulge his love of fashion. Besides, to put it kindly, Monte isn't exactly teen fantasy material.

Re: tonight's ep - Lip Implants McGee was beyond obnoxious and a good example of how abusive relationships can be platonic. You can usually tell if it's producer driven if they drop the evil act for The Dress or a happy ending. His affect never changed.

What an awkward situation for the bride with the godmother/mom beef, but it's kind of of her own making. There's definitely missing backstory there. My guess is 1) godmother had an affair with the father or 2) mom has some kind of ongoing substance abuse problem that's made her an unreliable parent. Why else keep in such close contact with the godmother after the divorce when it clearly pains her mom? The bride definitely had an adolescent vibe in terms of seeming to flaunt her relationship with the godmother to spite her mom, especially with the income disparity between them. She seems smug about having a more upper-class, successful maternal figure. I felt bad for the mom when she said, "I wanted to pay for the dress but I knew cost-wise as a teacher I can't compete with the income of an attorney..." The bride came off as a teenager who subtly plays her divorced parents off each other for her own gain.

We needed more of that adorable dog! Also, the dark-haired consultant with blue eyes (Megan?) is stunning.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 5
(edited)

Dear brides: Maybe don't invite two women who resent and dislike each other to your dress appointment? Either her "godmother" offered to pay for the dress without strings attached or she didn't. If paying for it means she feels she has the right to stomp all over the appointment, then it's not a gift and you should refuse it.

I also don't understand on what planet a husband and wife have a baby, get acrimoniously divorced, and then invite the husband's attorney to be a godparent.

As for the pageant coach, I wasn't nearly as irritated with him as I was with the 41 year old bride constantly referring to herself as a girl, and with the floral high/low dress thingy she wore to the appointment.

Also, Mr. Michael? You're not gonna get "all the" beadwork, stones, crystal, schuz, and bling for $2500.

I am SO SICK of lace dresses being compared to tablecloths. At least call them a curtain or doily.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, 2727 said:

I also don't understand on what planet a husband and wife have a baby, get acrimoniously divorced, and then invite the husband's attorney to be a godparent.

I got the impression the godmother was a family friend who happened to be an attorney when they chose her to be the godmother. Years later (I'm assuming), when the divorce was going on, the husband picked her as his attorney, souring her relationship with the mother. There's no possible way the bride was born after the divorce or that both parents would agree on making his freaking divorce attorney her godmother lol. 

• Love 7

Your scenario makes a lot more sense!

Also fake was that the godmother was happy to spend $5K but another thousand made her rear back in horror. All in service of the drama of mom being able to do her part.

How close are children to their godparents, anyway? Mine were family members, but my parents aren't still in touch with any of the friends they knew when I was born.

• Love 4

Just when I thought that they couldn't find any worse bridal dramas in Atlanta, they did.  Showing up at an appointment with kids and dog in tow was over the top.  Kids once again being allowed to run amok.  Evidently she had them from a previous relationship.  Godmother admitted she would buy the first wedding dress which is happening now.  Tired looking 41 year old ex beauty queen and her pageant director another case in point.  Get over the pageant stuff already.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, cameron said:

Just when I thought that they couldn't find any worse bridal dramas in Atlanta, they did.  Showing up at an appointment with kids and dog in tow was over the top.  Kids once again being allowed to run amok.  Evidently she had them from a previous relationship.  Godmother admitted she would buy the first wedding dress which is happening now.  Tired looking 41 year old ex beauty queen and her pageant director another case in point.  Get over the pageant stuff already.

Forgot to add why would she have a wedding in Puerto Rico when they are still recovering from major hurricane damage.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, 2727 said:

Your scenario makes a lot more sense!

Also fake was that the godmother was happy to spend $5K but another thousand made her rear back in horror. All in service of the drama of mom being able to do her part.

How close are children to their godparents, anyway? Mine were family members, but my parents aren't still in touch with any of the friends they knew when I was born.

Obviously the godmother could afford it, but she was instructed to sit back so mom could feel like she saved the day. They intentionally picked a dress with a budget discrepancy small enough for the mom to afford. Patronizing but sweet? lol 

2 hours ago, cameron said:

Hey now, don't drag the dog into this! All it did was sit there quietly looking bewildered, which...same. I wish I knew what breed it was, it's face was so cute. But yes kids running around are annoying and it wasn't even a plot point like last week. Unless they're breastfeeding infants, kids under 10 should be banned from the salon for the distraction factor.

Re: Ye Olde Beauty Queen, I imagine your stock value plummets after 25, so arrested development sets in as a means of coping with your increasing irrelevance. Hence Time Capsule Coach pretending it's 1996. She said she was the first gay winner of something, implying she had come out before the win, but also talked as if she had no experience dating women prior to her fiancee, so unless they've been dating 10+ years, I'm confused by the timeline.

• Love 3
(edited)

The pageant bride is a professional  photographer and has a few social media accounts.  She comes across pretty well.

Edited by Josette
confused the weddings
7 hours ago, cameron said:

Showing up at an appointment with kids and dog in tow was over the top.

Although I like dogs, one of my pet peeves is how people show up everywhere with their dogs in tow, especially in a bridal gown store!  I guess that's the acceptable thing to do nowadays.  Shrugs shoulders.    I only approve of service dogs in these environments.  Otherwise, leave the dog at home or at doggy daycare.  YMMV.  Same with kids.  If they can't behave while out in public, leave them with a sitter or instill better manners in them.   ;)

• Love 11

I do know some people are allergic to dogs and some people aren't dog friendly, but the dogs don't bother me because most of the time they are better behaved than anyone in the bride's entourage. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Although I like dogs, one of my pet peeves is how people show up everywhere with their dogs in tow, especially in a bridal gown store!

My furbaby is perfectly behaved, is a certified therapy dog so is used to being in public, and my best pal.  But I do not haul her around like a baby doll and act put out when she isn't welcome.  I am sensitive to the allergies and dog fear issues with people.

And I would never, in a thousand years, think to take her to a bridal salon.  That is just beyond the pale.  Lori (as well as K's) should put her foot down on that crap.

• Love 7

Letting the dog walk all over the sofa in the salon is like someone putting their shoes all over it, IMO.  Not that his paws were dirty, but  they should've showed respect for Lori's salon.  It's a basic courtesy that I think has gone out the window.   Again, I like dogs, but in this instance, I don't think he/she belonged there.  

I felt sorry for the bride who brought the pageant consultant with her.  How does she have any self esteem if he talked to her that way about her dresses while doing the pageant circuit?  He was just cruel.  Maybe he wanted to bring the drama being on TV, but he was an ass.  I liked the first dress she tried on too.  

• Love 8
(edited)
On 15/07/2018 at 12:51 AM, 2727 said:

Maybe don't invite two women who resent and dislike each other to your dress appointment? Either her "godmother" offered to pay for the dress without strings attached or she didn't. If paying for it means she feels she has the right to stomp all over the appointment, then it's not a gift and you should refuse it.

Oh, but if godmother wasn't there, how would she afford a $5K dress?  I was hoping they would show the wedding.  I wanted to see if her father walked her down the aisle.  

On 15/07/2018 at 12:49 AM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

The bride came off as a teenager who subtly plays her divorced parents off each other for her own gain.

On 15/07/2018 at 7:44 AM, cameron said:

Tired looking 41 year old ex beauty queen and her pageant director another case in point.  Get over the pageant stuff already.

I would have kicked that over-botoxed, A-hole, Mr. Michael out of the store.  And ex-beauty queen has seen better days.  I think she's only in her early 40s tho.

Edited by WarnerCL45
  • Love 2

In tonight's episode, 10 year old Natalie had a hissy fit when her mother chose a different dress than the one Natalie wanted her to wear. In order to smooth things over, Mollie (who was suddenly being very pleasant) took her into the veil room and let Natalie pick out a veil and princess-y tiara for her mother to wear. Everyone loved her choices, Natalie was happy and all was well. Then they showed the wedding at the end and her mother was wearing a different veil and no tiara! 

• Love 9

The brides were fine but both entourages were super annoying this week. Competitive brothers can bite me, turning their sister's appointment into a sporting event, and the less said about petulant daughter Natalie the better.

It finally occurred to me that the show has cut the "fitting appointment" segment. The brides weren't any more or less obnoxious than the rest of what I sit through, and it was at least an opportunity to see another bride and judge how her dress looked on her.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, 2727 said:

The brides were fine but both entourages were super annoying this week. Competitive brothers can bite me, turning their sister's appointment into a sporting event, and the less said about petulant daughter Natalie the better.

It finally occurred to me that the show has cut the "fitting appointment" segment. The brides weren't any more or less obnoxious than the rest of what I sit through, and it was at least an opportunity to see another bride and judge how her dress looked on her.

Annoying kids seems to be a theme this season.  Sister Dacia, fashionista with the dark lipliner and ugly jewelry, was no prize, either, arguing with the kid.  

This episode really stood out as one with obviously scripted drama.  I think TPTB take a look at the entourage and make up a storyline.  ‘Ok, we’ve got a kid, let’s have her hate the dress and then pick out a tiara and everything will be fixed’.  ‘We’ve got a couple of brothers, they’re going to compete to find a dress.’

They’ve dumped the fitting apointment in favor of a fake plot that runs through the season. Atlanta has Lori’s daughter joining the team and creating drama. OG had Randy and his bridal line.  Enough already.  We’re not stupid, all of the obviously contrived stories just need to go away.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Annoying kids seems to be a theme this season.  Sister Dacia, fashionista with the dark lipliner and ugly jewelry, was no prize, either, arguing with the kid.  

This episode really stood out as one with obviously scripted drama.  I think TPTB take a look at the entourage and make up a storyline.  ‘Ok, we’ve got a kid, let’s have her hate the dress and then pick out a tiara and everything will be fixed’.  ‘We’ve got a couple of brothers, they’re going to compete to find a dress.’

They’ve dumped the fitting apointment in favor of a fake plot that runs through the season. Atlanta has Lori’s daughter joining the team and creating drama. OG had Randy and his bridal line.  Enough already.  We’re not stupid, all of the obviously contrived stories just need to go away.

Amen to that Sister.  Totally agree.

• Love 2

Perhaps, it's because I agreed with her assessment of the relative merits of the dresses, but I was not particularly bothered by the little girl.  I'll probably get chastised for saying this, but I think when a bride (or groom) has children, the bride has to let go of at least some of the this is MY day attitude.   The child's life is going to change as much as the mother's.  What's the harm in finding a dress that makes both of them happy?  I wouldn't let a child rule the roost, but I would darn sure pay more attention to her opinions than those of my sibling.  She is almost certainly feeling threatened and vulnerable as a result of her mother's marriage--even if she likes the groom.  Surely Lori could have found a dress that both the mom and the daughter liked.   Despite what the consultants say, there is not ONE dress that is the be all and end all.

The aunt was the one who totally bugged me.  She was competing for attention with a 10-year-old child.  My aunt would have never done that in a million years.  We would have been wandering around the shop together looking for dresses.

• Love 4

I hate the wasted time on back stories of the staff. That said, this episode did have a lot of what I do like, which is showing how the consultants deal with difficult entourages (and Lori’s) daughter did do well in seeing that the daughter just wanted to be included and I thought it was the same veil) but more important, showing how they are able to choose flattering gowns for brides of different shapes and sizes. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The dress the little girl liked was a tacky boob dress; I didn't much like the one chosen either though. As mentioned above, Lori's daughter involved the girl by choosing a tiara, but the mom wasn't wearing it at the wedding. I'm guessing the whole thing was probably staged, as usual.

And again more staging with the difficult brothers. They didn't bother me much, except when she came out in her boob dress, which I suppose is mandatory for all brides on this show now. The one guy in particular acted very creepy & gross. I don't like the crap these shows push with that shit with family members, & find it pretty disturbing they agree to play along. I can't even recall the dress she ended up after all that.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 6
(edited)
26 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I can't even recall the dress she ended up after all that.

Me either. It was 24 hours ago!

I think it was something with a natural waist and since she was blocky through her torso I thought her original idea of an A-line would have been better. An empire waist may also have suited her.

Something like this, maybe. It was to be a simple backyard wedding.

dress.JPG

Edited by 2727
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Me either. It was 24 hours ago!

I think it was something with a natural waist and since she was blocky through her torso I thought her original idea of an A-line would have been better. An empire waist may also have suited her.

It was strapless and Monty threw some bric-a-brac around her neck to turn it into sort of a halter. It looked good I thought, or at least the idea of it did until the snapshot shown at the end had one end of the "halter" all out of place.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, 2727 said:

10 minutes ago, Toodleoo said:

It was strapless and Monty threw some bric-a-brac around her neck to turn it into sort of a halter. It looked good I thought, or at least the idea of it did until the snapshot shown at the end had one end of the "halter" all out of place.

Ah, yes - now I recall the 'halter'; thanks.  

Agree that an A-line would've probably been flattering; it's a shame she didn't try one... & she did originally want sleeves.

• Love 2

Her dress was an A-line. With her square figure, the illusion necklines looked terrible on her. I know she wanted to minimize her shoulders but she has a small chest and the halter neckline really made her waist look smaller and the A-line draped skirt gave her more of an hourglass figure. 

• Love 2

Got it. Maybe I'm just remembering the ballgown she tried on; I think more than one?  The gowns should be front & center, not the bad behavior, but it's tough for me to keep them straight anymore except the really tacky ones.

• Love 3

After all the fuss about the bratty little girl picking out the veil, the bride was wearing a different, much simpler one at the wedding.  Is anything real on these shows?

9 hours ago, camom said:

After all the fuss about the bratty little girl picking out the veil, the bride was wearing a different, much simpler one at the wedding.  Is anything real on these shows?

At least she didn't pick out a stupid JoJo bow headpiece for her mom like the one she was wearing.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, camom said:

Is anything real on these shows?

No. 

Well, maybe Monte's over-the-top diva act but I would think that would get tiresome very quickly if a daily routine.

• Love 2