Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress: Atlanta - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 6/10/2018 at 9:51 AM, gonecrackers said:

The former NBA bride - wtf?  All the talk about gold digging, other baby mamas, the pregnancy crap, etc - talk about awkward.  

Hello pot, there are a few kettles calling you right now.

• Love 7

I just watched a rerun of the episode and noticed when she was waiting for the pregnancy test she mentioned being baby mama #5.  My immediate thought was to wonder how long before there would be #6.  I hope there won't be any more brides like that this season.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, camom said:

I just watched a rerun of the episode and noticed when she was waiting for the pregnancy test she mentioned being baby mama #5.  

And what makes her think she's different than every other one of his conquests?  Who the hell would want to hook up with a sleaze like that?

• Love 6

The basketball bride was playing to the cameras the whole time.  Nothing about her was genuine.  The ditching of past brides and baby mamas, the goal-digger comment and she's in a good place crap.  She was a skank out to get money and 15 min of fame.   She was fake, fake and more fake.   She's going to be one of those mamas in a few years.    Ok. That's all I had to say.   

• Love 4
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

TLC...are you listening?

Nope.  For how long have posters been talking about how much we hate the BS?  And the stripper fairy dresses?  And the fake drama?  Even praising the (extremely) rare episode with nice people hasn't gotten their attention.  Until the ratings drop, we'll keep getting this crap shoveled our way.

• Love 2
(edited)

I loved the dresses in tonight's episode, especially both dresses the girl with the 2 uncles tried on. They were hard to choose between.  So refreshing to not have a strapless dress in sight!   I can't remember the last episode where at least one bride didn't want a strapless mermaid.

Edited by shipmate
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, rlc said:

Uncle who married into the family needs to stfu.

Lawd, yes.  What a scene hogging drama queen.  I hated his pick.  It didn't fit well at all and the top looked too heavy.  I give props to mom because I don't think she really liked it but she gave in.

What was with the kid wanting his mom to wear a dress where she wouldn't be able to wear underwear?  Seriously?  I though the second dress was just gorgeous.  The third one looked like a nightgown.  The Monte and Cade hour was tiresome.

2 hours ago, shipmate said:

So refreshing to not have a strapless dress in sight!   I can't remember the last episode where at least one bride didn't want a strapless mermaid.

Agree!  Nice to see something different.

• Love 5

Agree there was way too much unnecessary drama; more dresses please, less nonsense!

Also agree it was great to not see a strapless, although they still had to get a tacky one in there with the 'no underwear dress'. I hope that was scripted & he wouldn't really have picked that for his mom.

I also did not like that drama queen uncle dress. Glad it wasn't strapless - it was different at least - but the first one was so much nicer. I was disappointed for her & the mom.

Those scenes at the end when they do a complete turnaround are nonsense. Either the person was on board to begin with or told to do that at the end.

VA bride - her makeup was lovely but I thought her hair all up was aging. I did like the lace shrug & sorry she took it off later. I couldn't tell if it was her accent or she was slurring from the moonshine before the wedding, but she seemed a bit out of it to me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rhys said:

The long train that would drag seems like a stupid choice.

I never understand keeping the train on a dress for an outdoor wedding. Why do you want to drag your dress through sand or grass or whatnot? When we got married, I had the train taken off of my dress when it was altered precisely because our ceremony was outdoors.

The son and the uncle both got on my nerves big time.  Why is it that the male gay "best friend," "uncle," whatever often comes off as an "I know better than you do what you want" jerk.  More dresses, less drama please.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, camom said:

The son and the uncle both got on my nerves big time.  Why is it that the male gay "best friend," "uncle," whatever often comes off as an "I know better than you do what you want" jerk.  More dresses, less drama please.

I sort of hope the show put him up to it; I'd hate to think that he's that overbearing and demanding in real life.  It wasn't cute, it wasn't funny; his domination of the appointment was plain old wrong.  In the end, I think the bride is going to regret being bulldozed into the dress; it was pretty clear that he was never going to accept any choice but his own for her.

• Love 1

The Uncle told her flat out he wouldn't pay for the first dress which seemed like her favorite. That was so selfish; he made it all about him & what he wanted.

I also want to know why the consultant, Monte, etc, didn't make an issue out of that. They almost ALWAYS help the bride be strong in her decision if someone on the couch is pushing something she doesn't really want. This time they completely let go & were useless.

• Love 5
On May 20, 2018 at 3:42 PM, BennyB said:

Noticed last night (while watching Trading Spaces & Nate & Jeremiah) that a new season starts on June 9th.....

Although I always say I won't fall into the trap of watching, I actually do end up watching...  :-(  

I used to say I won't watch but always wound up watching; however, after one episode of the NY version this past season, I quit watching. Now after watching this last episode of Atlanta (I missed the first episode), I will not watch any more. I am sick of having consultants' friends/family on the show and I am sick of the overbearing, bossy entourage members running the decision. It's not cute, charming, or entertaining and I find myself FF'ing through a lot of it. And in this last episode of ATL, I could not stand the Cade/Monte Show. I have plenty of other shows on my DVR that I enjoy. Even the snark on the entire SYTTD franchise is not fun for me anymore. So I am throwing my proverbial bouquet in the trash and running out with my magnum of champagne! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

So I am throwing my proverbial bouquet in the trash and running out with my magnum of champagne! 

May I share a glass with you?  I tried the first episode and hated it.  Thought I'd give it one more chance and abhorred it. I'm done as well.

• Love 1
(edited)
41 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

May I share a glass with you?  I tried the first episode and hated it.  Thought I'd give it one more chance and abhorred it. I'm done as well.

It's a magnum, so please help yourself! Really, both franchises have taken thoroughly likable hosts (Randy, Lori, Monte and their consultants) and have dumbed them down to become caricatures. I don't need an hour of this crap with the ridiculous, often made up, back stories. I just wanted regular brides shopping for wedding dresses. And I have to say that in the ATL episode, I thought Cade gave Monte a creepy I'm gonna jump your bones vibe. And I've had a sip of moonshine before.  Someone brought a mason jar of it to a July 4th party last year. Although I thoroughly enjoy a few cocktails myself, wow, no way would I have even one sip of that stuff before doing anything! Yuck. That stuff is kerosene to me. But the moonshine mama bride did seem a little subdued the entire show. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

It was the big mouth, push, not even related uncle that did it for me.   Why that kind of crap is allowed is a mystery.  But it finally pushed me over the limit.

And his husband, who is the blood uncle, seemed so agreeable with whatever mom and bride wanted. He was so quiet and a good entourage member. So I think TLC told loud uncle to dial his pushiness up to 10. That's what miffs me. TLC can't leave well enough alone. Let's even make pushy uncle a caricature. Anyway, I'm done too. Enjoy the bubbly!

• Love 1

I was done with the NY one; couldn't stomach it anymore. If this keeps up I'll stop with Atl as well. I was just hoping for some nicer dresses & more variety this season with them, but we'll see because all the unnecessary drama kills the enjoyment & then it's not worth the time anymore.

I'm watching the old episode with the bride who wanted to wear her "cow poop" boots at her wedding and was wearing them at the salon.  Why in the world would they allow her to wear those in the salon, much less to try on dresses?  

• Love 1

I wonder who came up with the money when the bride from West Virginia moved her wedding venue from the beach to the Homestead Resort with Monte running the whole show.  Hope he was the one who ponied up the money.

• Love 3

Sorry folks, but I thought this episode was 'overly gay' and not sticking to the premise of the show...shopping for wedding gowns; not highlighting the ups and downs of being a gay person. Frankly, I don't care, gay or straight; whoever is shopping for an outfit to wear is what I would rather see. This was almost a public notice about the subject.

If Monte is a professional person and knows his craft, he should ACT like it; not like a caricature of himself. I also feel that Lori is stretching it also a bit. They are NOT a comedic couple. She is a business owner and I prefer to see both of them in those roles. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Sorry folks, but I thought this episode was 'overly gay' and not sticking to the premise of the show...shopping for wedding gowns; not highlighting the ups and downs of being a gay person. Frankly, I don't care, gay or straight; whoever is shopping for an outfit to wear is what I would rather see. This was almost a public notice about the subject.

If Monte is a professional person and knows his craft, he should ACT like it; not like a caricature of himself. I also feel that Lori is stretching it also a bit. They are NOT a comedic couple. She is a business owner and I prefer to see both of them in those roles. 

Totally agree with you on this.

5 hours ago, floridamom said:

And I thought Cade had a creepy "I'm gonna jump your bones" vibe toward Monte. Cade is 16 and Monte is at least in his 50s, maybe 60s. As I said on another thread, I'm done with Atlanta but will check here occasionally for snark! But I'm not wasting any more time on any version of SYTTD. 

(edited)

I used to like looking at the dresses but all of the sob stories take up most of the time now. I think it is great that these deserving women get a free dress but just don’t enjoy watching.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

I would happily watch a show were there is no dialog whatsoever.  The brides come out in 5 or 6 dresses so we can see different styles.  Skip the "jacking up" drama.  Skip all of the useless drama and insipid dialog between Lori and Monte.  

Just show the damned dresses with the designer name and price.  That I'd watch.

But not this. Not any longer. Same goes for the NY version.

• Love 10

As many nasty entourage people as we've seen over the years, I thought the friend of the bride with the too-big dress was actually fun. She conveyed her exasperation and alarm while still supporting her friend. Considering that the chosen dress looked slightly tatty off the rack, it fit the bride beautifully on the day. I hope those seamstresses are paid well for their meticulous and difficult work (doubt it).

I wonder if the kidney transplant bride ended up with that dress? I thought she looked lovely in it but her friends and family were very silent when she first came out.

• Love 7
On 6/24/2018 at 9:03 PM, 2727 said:

As many nasty entourage people as we've seen over the years, I thought the friend of the bride with the too-big dress was actually fun. She conveyed her exasperation and alarm while still supporting her friend. Considering that the chosen dress looked slightly tatty off the rack, it fit the bride beautifully on the day. I hope those seamstresses are paid well for their meticulous and difficult work (doubt it).

I wonder if the kidney transplant bride ended up with that dress? I thought she looked lovely in it but her friends and family were very silent when she first came out.

I think the kidney transplant bride ended up with that last dress. After they “jacked her up” (ugh I can’t believe I typed that) with the veil, etc. everyone had teared up or were crying because she looked so beautiful. 

• Love 2

I was sufficiently intrigued by the bride marrying the NBA player from a few episodes ago that I did a little googling -- it was too interesting not to share.  It appears she has sought out this attention, this was not her first attempt at 15 minutes of fame, so it made it quite easy (except she appears to go by a few different names).

1) She met her first husband when he was a guard at Rikers and she was an inmate -- as a juvenile (17 years old I think).  They were only together a year or two, but never divorced until many years later, when they went on Divorce Court. 

2) Her background appears to include some work in the sex industry. 

3) She and the NBA player were on a recent TV show to help them out of their money troubles. 

4) I question whether they actually got/are getting married.  A wedding registry and a defunct wedding website indicated a wedding date in September 2017 as I recall, but there's nothing to suggest that wedding actually happened (and needless to say, she's not a private person). 

(For the record: I don't have too much time on my hands, I just have poor priorities as to how I spend my time.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
5 hours ago, Evangeline said:

(For the record: I don't have too much time on my hands, I just have poor priorities as to how I spend my time.)

Well, we appreciate the fact that you fell on the sword for the rest of us.  Interesting findings and not altogether surprising.  All that trash talking about the other women was pretty telling about her personality.

• Love 3

While I’m sure that child was encouraged to be that annoying by the producers, I don’t think it was that much of a stretch.  She seems like an overindulged brat

As far as the second bride, she is going the get tired real fast of shlepping that gown with the long train.  I don’t understand the reason for buying such an extravagant, fancy gown when it’s just the two of you getting married with no one else at the ceremony and no reception. 

• Love 10
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, Koalagirl said:

After they “jacked her up” (ugh I can’t believe I typed that) with the veil, etc.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who loathes that sentence "jack her up."  Please Monte and crew, stop saying it!   I don't know of anyone who actually says that.  Ugh!

26 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

While I’m sure that child was encouraged to be that annoying by the producers, I don’t think it was that much of a stretch.  She seems like an overindulged brat

I was with Lori on this one.  Eight year-old's shouldn't be dictating what Mom should wear.  

• Love 3

There was a little bit too much contrived drama in this episode for me:

Lori's daughter could easily have come in to help without all the obnoxious boss antics.

There was too much FaceTime for the getting-married-in-three-weeks bride. We all knew she'd find a dress. I thought someone would suggest that she cut the train off. (And I noted that the groom has children who apparently weren't invited to the wedding.)  That first shot of Santorini, though, with the brilliant blue sea was pretty fantastic. 

The eight-year-old has already been mentioned. While I liked the dress that her mom chose, if Apollo's prison term still has 3 years to run, will it even be in style then?  But I guess 15 minutes of airtime was important to her. 

At least we got some shots of other people in the salon, wearing a variety of dresses. I enjoyed those.

• Love 12
(edited)

The whole thing with Lori's daughter was ridiculous.  If Lori expected us to like her daughter, she misjudged, at least as far as I'm concerned.  There's a difference between managing well and being bossy.  Can you imagine having the boss's daughter come in and start bossing you around (and not even politely)?  Just a really unlikable person.

Bratty little kids get on my nerves.  I know she was egged on by the production staff, but it seemed to come pretty naturally to her. Mollie is her as a grown up.

Edited by camom
  • Love 15
(edited)

I'm not proud of the number of times I said "bitch!" in this episode. Especially since some of them were directed at an 8 year-old. And how hard up do you have to be to get engaged to an incarcerated felon?

Edited to agree that Mollie was (edited to be) a freaking nightmare. And between Mollie and the get-married-every-year-in-a-different-country bride and the set-a-terrible-example-for-my-daughter bride, this was the episode of narcissists. 

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 16
11 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who loathes that sentence "jack her up."  Please Monte and crew, stop saying it!   I don't know of anyone who actually says that.  Ugh!

I was with Lori on this one.  Eight year-old's shouldn't be dictating what Mom should wear.  

Kid needs to be reigned in.  Couldn't stand watching biting her nails all the time.  Also have to wonder where the mother came up with the $10,000 budget for the dress.  Maybe it's part of the stash from the fiance haul before to got sent to the Big House.

• Love 6

Between the little girl who came across as a brat (I'm sure egged on by her mom and the producers as well as being a brat) and Lori's daughter who came across as a brat (probably egged on by Lori and the producers as well as being a brat), this episode is making me consider taking it off the DVR. Will the woman engaged to the guy in federal prison ever marry him, or will she find someone else to marry before he gets out?  Then add in the woman who wanted a dress that would be easy to pack to take to Greece, Italy, France for all their wedding ceremonies (will they even make it to the 1st anniversary??). To me, it looked like she picked a dress that wouldn't be easy to pack, but at least it was sexy for her husband. 

• Love 4

Totally tacky, all of it - again.

The brattiness was way overdone. I think they're reaching to keep, interest, I guess ? From reading here (& speaking for myself) most people just want to see a variety of wedding dress styles. There must be some reason why the shows are going in this awful direction, but I can't imagine why anyone enjoys this crap.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Glad I missed that one.  Kids that need to be reined in and incarcerated fiances?  This show has jumped the shark big time.

The 8 year old proceeded to take a dress off of the mannequin.  Monte intervened and then sat down and said he needed a nap.  It was all so rehearsed.  Let's get back to the dresses, and less of the person's story.  All I need to know is the bare minimum about said bride.  Just pick a damn dress!   I was paying more attention to all of the brides who were modeling their dresses in the background shots.  

1 hour ago, Lisa418722 said:

Then add in the woman who wanted a dress that would be easy to pack to take to Greece, Italy, France for all their wedding ceremonies (will they even make it to the 1st anniversary??).  

I found that story quite ridiculous.  It's like something one would dream of when they're in they're teens, not something one would actually do once they're an adult.   One vow renewal in maybe 10-15 years, but every year?  Silly.  Maybe she needs some kind of reassurance from him 24/7.   I kind of liked the first dress she tried on (Grecian style.)  I liked how it flowed, even though it was plain.  I did like the one she ended up with, but I thought the bottom section was too poufy seeing as how she would be walking up so many stairs.  I'm glad that it made her happy.  

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Who gets engaged to a guy in a federal prison for fraud and then starts planning a fancy wedding that is at least 2 years away IF he gets parole?  And then brings their obnoxiously rude 8 year old along to choose the dress and thinks it’s cute when she speaks to adults so nastily? 

I felt like I needed a shower by he end.

A woman aiming for a spot on Real Housewives of Atlanta. That’s my guess, at least. She’s already appeared on a RHOA episode a couple of seasons ago (making an appearance at an event on Apollo’s behalf) and caused drama during her brief appearance. I think she (and probably Apollo) are hoping to be on the show once he gets out since he’s still friends with some of the men on the show (and his ex, Phaedra, has been kicked off). I think the daughter is aiming to be a housewife herself in about twenty years.

I admit- I stopped watching this iteration of SYTTD years ago (still haven’t quit the original one), but I tuned back in because I saw Apollo’s fiancé was making an appearance. And now that I’ve admitted that, I think I need a shower too.

Edited by MrsWitter
  • Love 7

I'm a little ashamed at how annoyed I was by that poor little girl, particularly since she doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot of "I'm good at thinking long term" parenting.

But honestly, as a (mostly) reformed (ish) nail-biter, my heart broke every time I saw her hands go to her mouth. Whatever she's presenting up front, she's got some big sads going on inside.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, JTM said:

I'm a little ashamed at how annoyed I was by that poor little girl, particularly since she doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot of "I'm good at thinking long term" parenting.

But honestly, as a (mostly) reformed (ish) nail-biter, my heart broke every time I saw her hands go to her mouth. Whatever she's presenting up front, she's got some big sads going on inside.

Oh, I'm sure that's true. I thought she was chewing on her hair but everyone else seems to have seen nail-biting. I was also not proud of how much she annoyed me. That's mostly on her parenting, methinks. Poor (annoying) kid.

• Love 1

I've just recently started watching this show. To me, everything seemed totally scripted apart from the trying on dresses, which seemed partially scripted. Lori's daughter was not a good enough actor to convince me she wasn't given a script and told what to say. The "cooking" scene at the beginning was totally scripted. I thought I'd try this since SYTTD has gotten so far away from the original intent, and I really actually like Lori and Monte and the sales people, so why do they have to write every word that comes out of their mouths and have these silly subplots, gah.

• Love 7