Type keyword(s) to search

Say Yes To The Dress: Atlanta - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wonder why ex-Miss America Caressa Cameron was with the 41 year old bride who's been engaged 'less than 5 times.' And the bride called her 'my God-sister.' Wish they would have explained that one.

First of all, a lot of people would have to die for Naomi Judd to be even the dowager queen of country music. Second of all, hey, way to hijack your assistant's wedding. Next off, I don't see her assistant rushing to be all fearlessly and forthrightly honest about what she wants, which suggests to me that she doesn't feel welcome to. Lastly, that is some striking magenta hair you have there, lady.

Edited by Julia

Did anyone see the recent episode when the bride from New Orleans was engaged to a DJ and she spent a whopping $70,000 on her dress and dresses for her mother and three daughters! I had to rewind to make sure I heard correctly. Her dress alone was $10,000. Her mother's dress was a rich cream color and the daughters' dresses were white, so they all looked bridal....too bridal for me. The girls were adorable in their dresses, especially the 1 year old, but really! $70,000???? I kept thinking about how that could grow into an amazing college fund for all three girls. I believe the two oldest were 10 and 11 or close to that. I hope new hubby's DJ gigs don't dry up.

• Love 1

Did anyone see the recent episode when the bride from New Orleans was engaged to a DJ and she spent a whopping $70,000 on her dress and dresses for her mother and three daughters! I had to rewind to make sure I heard correctly. Her dress alone was $10,000. Her mother's dress was a rich cream color and the daughters' dresses were white, so they all looked bridal....too bridal for me. The girls were adorable in their dresses, especially the 1 year old, but really! $70,000???? I kept thinking about how that could grow into an amazing college fund for all three girls. I believe the two oldest were 10 and 11 or close to that. I hope new hubby's DJ gigs don't dry up.

Wait, what? She spent $70k on five dresses and hers cost $10k? so basically she spent $5,000 more each dressing the flower girls and the mother of the bride than she did herself? That's not just extravagant, it makes no sense at all.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I know, Julia, I know! My sister was over here and we were binge watching some episodes and our jaws dropped so we had to watch it a second time. At first I said, did she spent $70K or $17K but we both could swear they said $70K. All of the gowns were designer, I think Lazaro. I will try to find the episode and post a link, but am hoping someone else on this board saw it too.

I have spent the better part of the day trying to find a clip of this bride and her party and can't find it and am not sure if it was a rerun. I know it was near the end of the episode in the alterations segment. I don't know why this is driving me crazy but my sister and both think the voice-over guy said she spent $70,000. And we were only on our first glass of wine for the evening. Oh well, even if she said $17,000, I still think that is amount is ridiculous.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 1

Zaldamer Wilder (poster) wrote "Reducing your whole wedding dress shopping experience to one day is a cost that women in this part of the country remain willing to pay for." This was mentioned in a very very long post above and so I didnt want to quote the whole post.

Why only in that part of the country? Only women living in NY are willing to pay for a one day wedding dress shopping experience? Wouldn't any rich person pay whatever to make their life easier no matter where they live in the country? 

My theory on Monte is and has been that actually he is straight, straight, straight. I don't care really, but as he has decided to act like a caricature of a male bridal consultant, I have decided to picture him off the clock, all butched up, drinking Buds and smashing the empties on his forehead, and possibly even wearing camo while he hunts. Thinking all this helps me survive the Monte segments. (Because regardless of anything he is fake, fake, fake.)

The car accident girl was sweet -- horrible, horrible situation, and I'm glad she seemed happy at the end. See, I don't have a cold black stone for a heart.

Monte is DEFINITELY gay.  He's VERY happily married to a man.

Sorry about the CAPs -- should have used <em> </em> ....

I confess to being guilty of this.  My apologies in advance but sometimes it's the only way to get  your emphasis across.

I just saw a rerun of the episode from earlier this year about the bride who wanted a barn wedding and the mother who was reluctant to pay for a $5000 dress. Something I heard this time that I missed before was the mother saying that the groom was going to be wearing jeans.  I can totally understand the mother not wanting to spend thousands on a dress if the groom wasn't even going to find a pair of dress pants to wear. If the mother/daughter price conflict was real, it would have been much more believable, IMO, to ascribe it to the difference in bride and groom attire rather than the "I was too passive" excuse that we got. 

I would love to know why the groom in jeans aspect wasn't pursued in the episode, although it certainly would have put the kibosh on Lori's argument that a barn wedding could be formal. 

And, on second viewing, I also think I heard that the bride was 25. That's old enough for her to be out of college and have been working for a couple years. As others said before, if she wanted a more expensive dress, she should have paid the difference herself. 

Edited by rur
  • Love 2

Good point about the age. I wish more of these relatives would say something like "I'm contributing $X,000" instead of "I'm buying it and the budget is $X,000." The contribution concept frees up the bride to do what she wants and it prevents some of the emotional blackmail we see on these shows.

But would there be a show without conflict? Probably not.

• Love 2

I wonder why ex-Miss America Caressa Cameron was with the 41 year old bride who's been engaged 'less than 5 times.' And the bride called her 'my God-sister.' Wish they would have explained that one.

This one I know.....They've been friends for years....they appeared on Say Yes to the Dress Bridesmaids.  Caressa was the bride and Rita was one of the bridesmaids.  

• Love 1

Can someone recap the controlling groom everyone is talking about with the mother that came along to enforce his wishes. I don't remember that ep.

It was just on rerun this past weekend. Bride is a wedding planner and who is planning on marrying in a park in Colorado with no family around. She claims because she's a wedding planner she doesn't want to do all that. She puts on dress #1 which is BEAUTIFUL and she gets all teary eyed in the dressing room. It has a sweetheart neckline but then lace up to the neck. I'm sure I'm describing it poorly. She comes out and everyone oohs and ahhs except fiance's mother. She says No he wouldn't like it because he said no netting or lace. Then she explains how he worked in men's fashion and he has a very discerning eye, blah blah blah. Bride is visibly sad about this but then says no it isn't the one. Goes back and tries on another and this one is a no because of its little cap sleeves. Goes back ends up in basically a princess ballgown type with lace "straps" up over the shoulders but no because he doesn't like the sleeves and so they tuck in the 'straps' and now it is magical and THE dress. Somewhere along the way it came out he didn't like tulle either. It was ridiculous how the future MIL seemed to have last say based on her interpretation of what her son would like and the list of "no's" he provided. Also bride's mother appeared to be shattered that she would not get to attend her daughter's wedding. I know the wedding is for the bride and groom, but I was so sad for the mom that there seemed to be no compromise available. 

To my thought, if I were getting married on a mountain or whatnot but still wanted a dress I probably wouldn't do a floor length dress because the thing will snag on everything. 

I saw that one. Future husband separating her from her family and then letting his mom run roughshod over her should have sent the poor thing running for the hills. 

• Love 3

Besides the controlling groom and future MIL in that episode, I thought it odd/wrong that the bride invited everyone to come see her pick out a dress -- for an event they were not invited to! I also felt bad for bride's mom.

I'm putting this here because I couldn't find any other good place. Watched a few minutes of Say Yest to the Prom Dress tonight.. It seems to be an offshoot of this show and maybe Curvy Brides, but I've never watched that one. First they showed a couple of brides, I thought the onscreen guide was wrong.Then they were getting to the prom dresses, this is one of those donated dresses from all over the country and they help the girls pick out a good dress for them, I think the gowns are free to the girls. I was fine, I like looking at dresses on young ladies, who am I kidding, I just like looking at dresses. Then they said after they picked their gowns Monty was going to come "jack them up", I changed the channel as soon as possible. Can't stand him and I hate that phrase.

Right there with you, friendperidot.  Monte is the number one reason that I refuse to watch this show.  He absolutely gives me the willies.  I'd like to smack that crazy clown smile off his face.

I agree with the above, however when I heard Monte speak during the prom thing, he did not have that false voice/accent (whatever he usually uses to talk on the show)and I found him to be bearable. He didn't use stupid "southern sayin's or that weird flamboyant act he usually puts on. He had nice things to say about the teens: confidence, beauty, yada yada, yada. He sounded fairly genuine.

I was quite shocked. I thought I would hate him as usual, but he kinda came off as likable.

Weird, right?

• Love 2

From an interview I read with Monte, it was not easy growing up in the rural south being Monte. It wouldn't surprise me if he went out of his way for kids.

(edited)

I was shocked at how much I liked Monte in the prom segments of that spliced together trainwreck of a show. I generally fast forward through his bits on the regular show because the character he plays gets on my last nerve. I was really pleasantly surprised to like him so much on this show, even though I wished they had devoted the actual show to the prom stuff--how the girls were selected, how they selected their dresses, etc. The odd mix of SYTTDA and Curvy Brides didn't work, IMHO. I had severe cognitive dissonance noticing myself fast forwarding through everything but the Monte and prom segments, though!

Edited by jcbrown

I've been watching an SYTTD: Atlanta marathon today and I'm coming to appreciate Lori and staff much more.  On this show, they actually explain what kind of dress will flatter certain figures, how one feature can call attention away from a different body area, and I've actually heard them giving certain fabrics and embellishments names. It's too bad the original recipe show doesn't do that more often. But then, I guess most of the brides on that show only know two words: Pnina and bling.

Since Glory Johnson chose her dress on this show, I figured this was germane. A day after announcing they're expecting a baby and 28 days after getting married, Brittney Griner filed for an annulment today. Yikes.

Whoa! I just read their announcement in the NY Times. Crazy crazy.

I just saw a re-run with a bride who wanted a red dress and a bride who was recovering from a severe car accident. The red dress one was obviously cooked up for the show, fake fake, but the bride who was struggling to walk again seemed very genuine and got some real reactions from the consultants. It's so weird watching this show after going through my own wedding dress buying ... I think having watched SYTTD in the past made me not want to the bridal salon route myself (I ended up ordering a Kate Spade dress online and getting it altered to fit, no muss, no fuss), but it sure is entertaining to watch.

I'm watching an episode where the bride to be walks into the bridal salon and they ask "when's the wedding" and she answers "today". Who the hell expects to find a dress they like, that actually fits without any alterations and that will please picky mom & entourage. Crazy!

Call me old fashioned but I think a big fancy pouffy dress is out of place for a quickie courthouse wedding. A short or tea length dress or even a tailored suit can look elegant and lovely.

I also believe the strapless dress is way overrated. Unfortunately a lot of heftier girls go for this style and it doesn't do them any favors. If you have fat sausage-like arms and shoulders like a linebacker, don't wear strapless!

It never ceases to amaze me how much people spend on a dress they wear for just a few hours. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's great. Those sales consultants will try to take you for all they can get.

• Love 4

Hahaha. I agree. She's going to need to invest in some serious spanx before walking down the isle in that thing! Phaedra is on The Real Housewives of Atlanta, though she's not technically a housewife. She runs several business and seems to be quite accomplished however her husband is serving 8 years in prison for fraud, among other allegations.

I did like the black dress bride though. I thought that was quite pretty.

I vastly prefer Kleinfields to this version but I've been needing a wedding dress fix lately and have found myself tuning into this one.

I hope Nikki's fiance realizes that he is marrying a loon obsessed with a TV character and "what would Phaedra do/say/look like' will rule his life. Someone get me a butterfly net for that nutcase. She has some serious mental issues.

• Love 1

From what little I know about her (which I totally looked up after reading recaps of her show here), Phaedra could be the woman in the Housewives franchise who would make the best role model. She graduated college and law school, her self-help book is about (or at least mentions) being successful at work, the weight-loss regimen she's peddling involves exercise and not watered-down drinks, she wears dresses that cover the essential bits reliably and she made enough on her own to be the one who was married for her money.

That said, she (not sure how to put this diplomatically) would not be my first choice for advice on marital decisionmaking.

• Love 1

I hope Nikki's fiance realizes that he is marrying a loon obsessed with a TV character and "what would Phaedra do/say/look like' will rule his life. Someone get me a butterfly net for that nutcase. She has some serious mental issues.

Eegads. I finally caught this episode last night. "Loon" feels like the understatement of the decade.

• Love 1

The guy who got married to the Alaskan girl gave me the willies.   Seemed like it was all about him, his statement at the end about her compromising boding well for the marriage just didn't sit right.   

• Love 3

I didn't understand her dress choice. I figured the the fiance had said "Nay" to the dress because it was strapless and form fitting. But she bought a dress that was strapless and form fitting. So was the getting his approval conflict manufactured, or did I miss something? 

I do like that we're getting to see a variety of styles so far, including a number of dresses that aren't strapless. (But that dress -- I forget which show -- that had an overlay with lace at the neck and an attempt at cap sleeves was ugly. I'm glad the bride hated it.)

Hahaha. I agree. She's going to need to invest in some serious spanx before walking down the isle in that thing! Phaedra is on The Real Housewives of Atlanta, though she's not technically a housewife.

That dress was terrible and needed armored spanx under it....it felt like the salon owners told whoever that so-called 'celebrity' was to  tell her she liked whatever just to get that episode to wrap up. It was NOTHING like her own dress.

The guy who got married to the Alaskan girl gave me the willies.   Seemed like it was all about him, his statement at the end about her compromising boding well for the marriage just didn't sit right.   

Phew. Glad it wasn't just me. He was beyond creepy. And the dress she picked was virtually the same, in degree of sexy/revealing, as the nixed one. And the top fit absolutely horribly.... everyone at the reception was going to get a free peek. Hope he didn't take it out on her. {{chills}}

My hope for 2016...all mermaids go back in the water for good.

• Love 1

I wondered about the fit on the top of that dress as well.  It made me nervous just watching her because I thought it was very loose and poorly tailored.  Even if she had to buy it off the rack, surely there was some seamstress who could have made it fit a bit better.  

The episode with the bride who wanted to be royal was very over the top.  I know the producers want good ratings, but I would like to see an old fashioned, borderline boring bride for a change where we can focus on the dress and not on the personality quirks (real or manufactured) of the bride and her entourage.

• Love 1

I loved last night's episode of Lori and Monty taking the shop to Anna's mother's house. Anna lost her 8 yr old precious son to a form of leukemia and just couldn't get excited about her wedding which was in about 2 days. Anna looked so beautiful in all the dresses, but made the perfect choice for her venue. The love and support from her parents and best friend just oozed through the TV and I am not ashamed to say that I was glad to have the Kleenex handy. And also, Anna and her husband produce the most beautiful children! Those kids could be models. What a heartwarming episode and a nice break from the demanding divas and their critical entourages. More like this, please!!

• Love 7

I don't know if I can put this right, but I thought it was a wonderful thing that Lori and Monty did, beyond the obvious of giving Anna a free dress. I think all the hoopla and surprise and family and wedding dress try-ons helped serve as a distraction from one of the main reasons Anna and Travis (?) were getting married - because Lake had wanted them to. (Why they weren't married before now, I don't know, but that's their business, not mine.) I think it helped create more pleasant wedding memories than she would have had otherwise - instead of "I wish Lake was here to see, he wanted this so badly" (though of course there will be a good deal of that no matter what), some of the memories will also be "Remember how amazing it was when I walked into mom's house and Lori and Monty and all my family was there, and they helped me find the perfect dress and made me feel so special and it was incredible and such a wonderful surprise." And it didn't cost her or her family a thing. Lori is always very generous that way. And as mentioned above, Monty refrained from acting the ass and everybody seemed genuinely moved by the experience. I wish Anna and her husband all happiness from here on forward; they were truly a beautiful family.

Edited because meep.meep below (love your avatar, btw) is correct about the little boy's name. At least I remembered it had something to do with water!

Edited by scootypuffjr
  • Love 2

I thought bridal pantsuits were a great idea. A nice alternative for a suit or tuxedo for the more "masculine" lesbian brides, and I'm sure some women are simply more comfortable in pants and would prefer a pantsuit to a dress. Angel looked just gorgeous in her pantsuit, and her bride looked wonderful in every dress she tried on but ended up with the perfect one. I wish we could see their wedding, I'm sure it will be beautiful.

• Love 1

I'm calling bullshit on the pantsuit. This was purchased well in advance of the show and altered In Advance to fit the bride. Did you see the pants bottoms? They had a trim on them that was added to make them the right length for this super tall woman. They didn't come like that with a fancy trim on the bottom of the pant leg that would have to be cut off for any one under 6 foot 5. They think we are stupid. If you look real close, the fabric is about 2-3 inches wide and is a different color white than the pants. 

• Love 1

Another "I will only buy a dress that my mother likes" load of crap.  Are they going to call mama when it's time to get pregnant to see it it's all right with her?  If you are old enough to get married, you are old enough to make decisions on your own.

And if mama is paying for the dress and you like something else, pay for the damned thing yourself.

• Love 7

Watching the episode where Lori's son gets married. I'm sure the dresses were very expensive. Didn't she say they were all custom made?

Not to be critical, but was the bride pregnant? She looked beautiful, but I thought that the dresses weren't the most flattering???

• Love 1

I wondered if the older guy that was apparently the best man was the dad.  He was all tearing up at the wedding.  Odd, though, he was never mentioned.

And WAY too much Monte for me. I can take about 3 minutes of him per episode.  After that I have to hit the mute button.